Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:49 AM

Seeing the PS4 and Xbox One announcements reassured me that I made a decent choice with the Nintendo WiiU. I'm not really a loyal customer for either Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft. Switching from one console to another kept things fresh for me. I switched from Sega Megadrive to Nintendo64, N64 to PS2, from PS2 to X360 and now back to Nintendo. I had a Gamecube and Wii too but didn't use them as main station, resulting in only a handful of games.

Seeing that Nintendo will deliver some big games and already owning some really fun titles, combined with the potential back catalogue of the Virtual Console, I have no doubt that I will have to choose wisely when purchasing software.

The Xbox One has no focus and one of the selling points for me would have been backwards compatibility. Foreseeing that the 360 could die on me within years, months or days and that it still has so many games left that I haven't played would have been a selling point. Next to that it would mean less cluttering in my tv cabinet. Why would I stick with MS? I played all big titles, Mass Effect, Halo, Gears and Forza...and being awesome at first (especially since I had to miss some exclusive titles in the previous generation) they became more than dull at their 3rd iteration within 1 generation. Somehow Nintendo always seems to keep things fresher, same IP, different experience. And with all GFX focus...I'm just happy with what the WiiU can do, wasn't that impressed with the generational leap MS or Sony showcased.

The PS4 seams more creative but lacks the sheer amount of creativity the Nintendo Studios have. But all consoles, even Nintendo don't support Europe with all their TV options. When looking at that Wii TVii is so small I wouldn't even use it. But with the One, it's like their whole system is build around TV experience, and we will mis most of that. 

I play a lot OffTV and only PS4 supports that....but I'll have to buy a Vita too. Add that to the price of the PS4 and it's will start to sound ridiculously next to the price of the WiiU.

The 3rd party studios like EA and Activision really have no clue. They where betting that PS4 and Xbox One would blow the fish out of the water...but they didn't. By the time either the Xbox or PS4 will be on the shelves Nintendo will have their 2nd wave of games shipping. I think that is what E3 will be about. MS and Sony will all be about trailers and maybe in game shots of games that still have to live up to the hype these trailers will create (remember Vita). But Nintendo's will be about Experiencing the games...playing them. Isn't that the reason why we loving gaming so much? I'm sure MS will show a next Halo, Sony another God of War, Epic another Gears...EA some more of the same sports games. When looking at the WiiU, I think Ubisoft will be a more creative studio than most others.

Apart from that the WiiU will have its second christmas this year and I've already seen systems being sold for 250 or less. So by december I can only imagine that being even lower. Compare that to the prices of Sony and MS, I really can't imagine them being 399,00 or less.

I'm looking forward to E3! 

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#2 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:54 AM

MS did a really good presentation... for the american consumer. European and japanese gamers only had Kinect 2.0 and voices controls to be excited for. And even then, it`s not really a big leap over with 360 can do today.

I know that this presentation wasn`t about games, but wouldn`t hurt to show something more.

What i thought would be a great deal - having EA there - turned to be just talk.

PS4 did something that anyone, anywhere can experience it, with it`s media strategy.

Unfortunately, both made the "mistake" of not allowing even your game saves being ported to the new systems. Not being able to play games can be fixed with downoading them, but gamesaves are more important and Wii U allows all of that and even to play with the controllers people already own, making the console less expensive.

For a good time, this difference will surely pay off for Nintendo, even if just in terms of public perception.

One of the problems last generation is that even the biggest franchises were over exposed: Gears had 4 games; Halo had 4/5 games; Uncharted had 3; God of War had 2/3; Assassincs Creed had 4 or 5.

It`s just too much of the same thing.

People complain Nintendo milks their franchises but they never do more than one per genre, with Galaxy 2 being the exception and the usual 2 Zeldas per generation.

When people put the next wave of games from Wii U next to the launch titles of PS4 and XB1, things won`t be that diferente. And to Nintendo`s advantage, they will have their biggest franchises on the market and some sweet deals coming for Christmas and BF, when MS and Sony will have shortages and higher prices without games - i think.

#3 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:16 AM

I have never regretted my choice to own a Wii U, never regretted only owning a Wii, or only a Gamecube, or only an N64. I have only ever owned Nintendo consoles, and played some games on the PC. I don't want the exclusives the other consoles have (Halo, Gears and God of War, Forza Motorsport etc... the only one I have ever wanted to play at considerable length is Metal Gear Solid), and power is neither here nor there for me.

Nintendo is where all my memories and nostalgia come from, and it is where they will stay and develop.

The Xbox One and PS4 will have a hard time selling due to the high price points they will surely have, especially when by Christmas, the Wii U will already have a decent enough install base and big first and third party games. The Wii U is looking like the better value for money, people want value for money these days.

Bring the noise.

#4 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

MS did a really good presentation... for the american consumer. European and japanese gamers only had Kinect 2.0 and voices controls to be excited for. And even then, it`s not really a big leap over with 360 can do today.

I know that this presentation wasn`t about games, but wouldn`t hurt to show something more.

What i thought would be a great deal - having EA there - turned to be just talk.

PS4 did something that anyone, anywhere can experience it, with it`s media strategy.

Unfortunately, both made the "mistake" of not allowing even your game saves being ported to the new systems. Not being able to play games can be fixed with downoading them, but gamesaves are more important and Wii U allows all of that and even to play with the controllers people already own, making the console less expensive.

For a good time, this difference will surely pay off for Nintendo, even if just in terms of public perception.

One of the problems last generation is that even the biggest franchises were over exposed: Gears had 4 games; Halo had 4/5 games; Uncharted had 3; God of War had 2/3; Assassincs Creed had 4 or 5.

It`s just too much of the same thing.

People complain Nintendo milks their franchises but they never do more than one per genre, with Galaxy 2 being the exception and the usual 2 Zeldas per generation.

When people put the next wave of games from Wii U next to the launch titles of PS4 and XB1, things won`t be that diferente. And to Nintendo`s advantage, they will have their biggest franchises on the market and some sweet deals coming for Christmas and BF, when MS and Sony will have shortages and higher prices without games - i think.

Such a good post, especially how last gen over exposed franchises!

and WITHOUT DOUBT, as someone who works in electronic retail, parents will come in this holiday season and say:

Xbox iand PS4 isle -

customer:so what does this new xbox/ps4 do?

employee: it offers new games with better graphics, (and list of other featuers)

customer: will it use the games and all the accessories we already have?

employee: no sir/ma'am, you will have to purchase a new 2nd controller for the family, and of course one of their new games since it doesn't play your current games.

customer: how much is it?

Employee: (guess price) $350 - $400, plus a game $60, and a 2nd controller for $50, so your total will be about $500 - $550 (after 6.5% tax)

customer: silent for a moment...wow. um and what about the wii-u, we have a wii, so what is the difference?

Employee: with the wii it also has some new games with better graphics than the wii, however it will play all your current wii games, along with using all the accessories you have now. At $350, it also comes with a game. As a matter of fact, you can even trade in your current wii for $xxx since you no longer need it. (after explaining the system transfer process)

They will buy wii-u's, because parents make up the majority of console sales and mostly base it on price and value, and for the parent that doesn't game, IF they're going to buy a new console, it will be the one that at least will use the current stuff they have. in 2 - 3 years, THEN they'll start buying xbox1 and ps4

Edited by umegames, 23 May 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#5 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

and WITHOUT DOUBT, as someone who works in electronic retail, parents will come in this holiday season and say:

Xbox iand PS4 isle -

employee: it offers new games with better graphics, (and list of other featuers)

employee: no sir/ma'am, you will have to purchase a new 2nd controller for the family, and of course one of their new games since it doesn't play your current games.

Employee: (guess price) $350 - $400, plus a game $60, and a 2nd controller for $50, so your total will be about $500 - $550 (after 6.5% tax)

customer: silent for a moment...wow. um and what about the wii-u, we have a wii, so what is the difference?

Employee: with the wii it also has some new games with better graphics than the wii, however it will play all your current wii games, along with using all the accessories you have now. At $350, it also comes with a game. As a matter of fact, you can even trade in your current wii for $xxx since you no longer need it. (after explaining the system transfer process)

They will buy wii-u's, because parents make up the majority of console sales and mostly base it on price and value, and for the parent that doesn't game, IF they're going to buy a new console, it will be the one that at least will use the current stuff they have. in 2 - 3 years, THEN they'll start buying xbox1 and ps4

Thanks!

"customer: silent for a moment...wow."
Yeah, i can see that happen a lot. Especially in Europe, where things aren`t looking good.

Wii U being BC will pay off, even if for a few years and coming with a game (btw, my guess is, for Christmas season, Basic Bundle with Nintendo Land and the Deluxe model with NSMB U) it days pay off a lot in total value and looking at it`s library it will do very well!

People will embrace new franchises or new ideas if companies hand them to gamers. That is why Indies are doing so well in the eshop - even Minecraft on Xbox Live, for exemple. Those games are unique and bring back old ideas that people like, simple ideas even.

So far, we haven`t seen Nintendo`s array of games for eShop, like we have seen for 3DS, but i guess they are also developing something that will hopefully be shown at E3.

Also, can`t wait to see how many Indie games are going to be announced for Wii U!

#6 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

Thank's for the read Lupaie, and I agree, I love my Wii U and I know I've made the right choice completly, PS4 Somwat interests me but Microsoft are dead to me.

#7 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

Xbox iand PS4 isle -

change "customer" with "parent of 15 year old and younger" and you're closer to the truth. I know a lot of people that play games, and they would walk into a store, see a cool game (or already have a cool game in mind) and they would ask, Hey, what's the best system for this game? They would walk by the Nintendo section just as I walk by the lingerie and toy section at Sears. Avert my eyes or ignore it because it's just not for me.

Now, I'm not saying Nintendo is for kiddies or weird adults, but all of your questions are questions Nintendo fans would ask to make them feel good about buying a Wii U.

Here are some questions I would actually ask.

will all of the big name games be coming to this system?

how are the graphics?

can i play without motion controls on all of the games?

can it play any form of video file?

Does it accept usb file transfers?

does it have netflix, nfl app?

as a last question, i would ask about backwards compatibility, but because i grew up without it, I don't expect it. I understand backwards compatibility actually takes away from the future possibilities of a console.

Also on the money issue, when you're working , one hundred dollars that over the course of a console lifetime makes no difference. That's two to three hours (inb4 epeen contest) of work.

#8 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

change "customer" with "parent of 15 year old and younger" and you're closer to the truth. I know a lot of people that play games, and they would walk into a store, see a cool game (or already have a cool game in mind) and they would ask, Hey, what's the best system for this game? They would walk by the Nintendo section just as I walk by the lingerie and toy section at Sears. Avert my eyes or ignore it because it's just not for me.

Now, I'm not saying Nintendo is for kiddies or weird adults, but all of your questions are questions Nintendo fans would ask to make them feel good about buying a Wii U.

Here are some questions I would actually ask.

will all of the big name games be coming to this system?

how are the graphics?

can i play without motion controls on all of the games?

can it play any form of video file?

Does it accept usb file transfers?

does it have netflix, nfl app?

as a last question, i would ask about backwards compatibility, but because i grew up without it, I don't expect it. I understand backwards compatibility actually takes away from the future possibilities of a console.

Also on the money issue, when you're working , one hundred dollars that over the course of a console lifetime makes no difference. That's two to three hours (inb4 epeen contest) of work.

Parents and Gaming customers are two entirely different mind-sets, so yea i agree, someone 15 and over who is informed would ask those kind of questions. but to a parent $100 is alot to them (especially during holiday shopping) to spend on something that they personally don't use or use very little and can't identify with the value that their kids might.

#9 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

Parents and Gaming customers are two entirely different mind-sets, so yea i agree, someone 15 and over who is informed would ask those kind of questions. but to a parent $100 is alot to them (especially during holiday shopping) to spend on something that they personally don't use or use very little and can't identify with the value that their kids might.

oh, well, i agree! ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!