• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

http://www.destructo...er-254326.phtml

Way to go, Microsoft

Microsoft's Matt Booty affirmed earlier today that digital publishing policies on Xbox One would be no different than they were on Xbox 360. Any hope that Microsoft would right the ship that has inconvenienced a good number of former XBLA devs went down the drain after we learned that indies still won't be able to self-publish their wares. Never mind that just about every other viable platform gives them flexible options, because Microsoft is having none of it.

You don't have to take my word for it! Those devs and others have taken to Twitter to express their disappointment in Microsoft's stubbornness. Maybe if enough of them speak out, Microsoft will reconsider its plans, but I somehow doubt it.

Below are just a few choice tweets. I'm sure there are more if you search around, but this should serve as a tasty appetizer.

Brian Provinciano, creator of Retro City Rampage:

Mike Bithell, creator of Thomas Was Alone:

"No self-publishing" doesn't just hinder developers. A lot of publishers must go to BIGGER publishers to be able to publish on Xbox.

George Broussard, co-creator of Duke Nukem:

not that I'll ever sell well enough to make a blip on MS's radar, but somewhere, the next Minecraft is being made, for another platform.

Robert Boyd, co-creator of Breath of Death VII, Cthulhu Saves the World, and Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3:

Microsoft you *must* prioritize a low friction indie self publishing path. Otherwise you hand Sony games, devs and $.

David Frampton, creator of The Blockheads:

Microsoft just handed the indie dev community to Sony, Nintendo, and Steam on a silver platter.

David Frampton again:

There doesn't appear to be anything actually new here regarding Microsoft's attitude towards indies. The news is that nothing has changed.

Phil Fish, co-creator of FEZ:

But the fact that Microsoft's attitude towards indies hasn't changed is definitely affecting this indie's attitude towards Microsoft.

Markus Persson, creator of Minecraft:

microsoft doesn't care about indie developer.

Tommy Refenes, co-creator of Super Meat Boy:

Also, I tried to get excited about the xbox one, but failed.

Zach Gage, creator of SpellTower and co-creator of Ridiculous Fishing:

So as someone who doesn't play Forza or any EA Sports game and already has a computer hooked to my TV, what does Xbox One offer me?

Tim Schafer, founder of Double Fine Productions:

@BenKuchera that was the only thing i was hoping for :( things are not looking great for the XO

Terry Cavanagh, creator of VVVVVV and Super Hexagon:

"@Polygon: Indie developers cannot self-publish on Xbox One http://sbn.to/YZERGv" Booo! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! BoooOOOoooOooooo! Boo!

And to top it off, here is Dan Adelman, head of business development at Nintendo and manager of the eShop:

But honestly, after their reveal yesterday, does anyone really WANT to make games for it?

One might think I'd be glad Xbox won't allow indies to self-publish. It's actually a big negative, as indies need more exposure. #growthepie

Just like the title says, Way to go Microsoft. I had hope, Ive expressed it here, what did I see, disappointment. The Q&A session made it even worse. They had the tech, but focused on stupid TV gimmics and sports partnerships instead. NO WONDER EA STOPPED ONLINE PASSES! I know there are some defenders saying 'Wait till E3 they'll show games there! Its just a reveal event! The Ps4 reveal event showed games the whole way through, you tell me weather these exclusives are gonna be original instead of a generic FPS, or a 3rd party game also releasing on Ps4 or a stupid Kinect game. I'll be waiting.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#2 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

Thankfully, many of these indie devs will continue finding welcoming arms with companies who want to support them like Nintendo, Sony, Steam, and even OUYA.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#3 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

Thankfully, many of these indie devs will continue finding welcoming arms with companies who want to support them like Nintendo, Sony, Steam, and even OUYA.

ouya is steam

wa3Nq7j.png

#4 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

ouya is steam

umm what? lol . Last I checked OUYA has it's own marketplace and so does Steam.

Edited by Sorceror12, 23 May 2013 - 05:36 PM.

PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#5 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

The reason Microsoft got away with these practices a few years back was because they were the only digital store worth working on: PSN Store and Steam didn't really get big for indies at the time, mobile gaming didn't exist yet, and Wiiware was too limiting for most devs to bother. The problem now is that Steam and mobile exploded, Sony is allowing indies all of the creative control that they could need, and Nintendo is giving them a Unity engine tailored for the Wii U for free as well as removing the 2 biggest limiting factors that plauged Wiiware and DSIware (file size and official office). Microsoft is still thinking that they are the only available store for indie gaming. Hell, even Phil Fish, who previously defended the 360 for indies, said that this was awful.

Also, I love how the guy behind the EShop is actually trying to help Microsoft change their mind. It's sort of like how Miyamoto gave advice on how to help the PS Vita, even though his help was a bit obvious. (needed killer app)

Edited by TheUltimateWaddleDee, 23 May 2013 - 05:45 PM.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#6 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

E-shop domination.

Signature_Fox.png

#7 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

Lol his last name is Booty :X

#8 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

umm what? lol . Last I checked OUYA has it's own marketplace and so does Steam.

wait, i was thinking of steambox, for some reason i when i was thinking of android i was thinking of steam. also it uses the google play store, it doesnt have it's own market place, you know, unless they change that of course, but i doubt it

Edited by SPG, 23 May 2013 - 07:09 PM.

• Xef likes this

wa3Nq7j.png

#9 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

POPULAR

Ahem, *cough* Minecraft Wii U Version *cough*

#10 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

Seeing as it's incredibly easy to develop for Wii U, I wouldn't be surprised to see a massive influx of indies.

Well, I mean, they're already the only games being announced for Wii U regularly.... hmm.

#11 NicMDS

NicMDS

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

With no indie support, Microsoft probably change it in the future. If not, it's better to BigN and Sony. =P

#12 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:34 AM

wait, i was thinking of steambox, for some reason i when i was thinking of android i was thinking of steam. also it uses the google play store, it doesnt have it's own market place, you know, unless they change that of course, but i doubt it

OUYA does not use the google play store, huge misconception. You can root the device and sideload apps you may own from google play however content purchased is through OUYA's own curated store as apps, games are specifically optimized to run on the OUYA hardware. I should know, I have one and am a kick starter backer.  :laugh:

#13 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:42 AM

Wait, they're out already? When did that happen?

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#14 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:57 AM

Wait, they're out already? When did that happen?

You speaking of OUYA?

It's been shipping to KickStarter backers since the reveal in late March at GDC. They are shipping the last of them within the next week or two, full retail comes mid June I believe but I was a backer so we got them before retail.

#15 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:17 AM

I hearded about this and thought it was bad, but it didn't really effect them on the 360.
Maybe because the 360 dominated for some reason. If x1 doesn't, then there might be a small problem, but I don't think it'll hurt microsoft much.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#16 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

minecraft. arguably the biggest indy game and it was on the 360. Microsoft will just throw money at whatever company actually makes a great game.

#17 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

Ahem, *cough* Minecraft Wii U Version *cough*

Me want Me want!  =P

#18 AndyG

AndyG