Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

http://www.gamespot....-report-6408917

The Xbox One will require game software to match the console's hardware region to play, according to a report by Digital Trends.

XboxOne1_20201_embed.jpg

A Microsoft spokesperson confirmed to the publication that region-specific encoding will be put in place to comply with legal requirements for selling the hardware across various global markets.

“Similar to the movie and music industry, games must meet country-specific regulatory guidelines before they are cleared for sale," said the rep. "We will continue to work with our partners to follow these guidelines with Xbox One.â€

Microsoft includes a similar feature on the Xbox 360, but allows game developers and publishers to determine whether they will opt to lock out players who import games from other countries. Nintendo’s Wii U software is also tied to the country of console purchase. Sony is yet to make an announcement regarding region locking on the PlayStation 4.

While the PlayStation 3 natively allows users to play discs from other countries, the PlayStation 3 version of Atlus-published fighter Persona 4 Arena recently became the first game on the platform to enforce region locking.

GameSpot contacted Microsoft, seeking confirmation and clarification of the report. The company was unable to provide a comment at the time of publication.

Mmm hmm, mmm hmm......Anyone still planning to buy a cable box? Its region freeeeeeee?

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#2 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

Yup.

#3 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

No surprise...

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#4 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

Most things are these days ain't they, probably the one normal thing this thing is doing.

#5 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

Why would it matter? It will only sell in America...........

#6 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

That's pretty much what I expected

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#7 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

No surprise...

You really need to put a lid on the attitude. Your posts are dreary to read 80% of the time.

When did you go full emo?

On topic, Microsoft is late to the game. Nintendo has been doing region lock for years.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#8 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

At this point, I don't think there's anything that can surprise me anymore about the Xbox fail-I mean One. 

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#9 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

http://www.gamespot....-report-6408917

Mmm hmm, mmm hmm......Anyone still planning to buy a cable box? Its region freeeeeeee?

I have a TV. No thanks.

Signature_DK.png

#10 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

Because everyone loves to import classic JRPG's on Xbox.

#11 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

I lived in Asia for 6 years, the region lock for the 360 (only on select games, like *surprise* EA games) was annoying. That was actually one of the reasons me and my buddies went for the PS4, we could get games from back home when we were visiting, and play them back in Asia. I don't get why they don't just forget about this region lock thing.

#12 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

You really need to put a lid on the attitude. Your posts are dreary to read 80% of the time.

On topic, Microsoft is late to the game. Nintendo has been doing region lock for years.

Full emo? Lol I'm not emo, not even close XD I was just pointing out the fact that it being region locked is normal for consoles by now. And assuming people are emo just from what they post on the internet is a little ignorant and rude.

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#13 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

I lived in Asia for 6 years, the region lock for the 360 (only on select games, like *surprise* EA games) was annoying. That was actually one of the reasons me and my buddies went for the PS4, we could get games from back home when we were visiting, and play them back in Asia. I don't get why they don't just forget about this region lock thing.

The reasons companies region lock is because they view sales reports by region (North America, Japan, Europe/Australia), instead of globally. Since a lot of games are released in one region before another, even if by a few days, they don't want people to import games, as that will reflect sales per region.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#14 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

The reasons companies region lock is because they view sales reports by region (North America, Japan, Europe/Australia), instead of globally. Since a lot of games are released in one region before another, even if by a few days, they don't want people to import games, as that will reflect sales per region.

and yet Sony didn't do that (except if i recall japan was separate region)

#15 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

and yet Sony didn't do that (except if i recall japan was separate region)

That is true. Games usually come out around similar times in all regions, with the exception of Nintendo games. The only time Region Lock affects me is when a game I am interested in doesn't make it oversees.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#16 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:53 AM

Why would it matter? It will only sell in America...........

What makes you think that. Microsoft certainly does abysmally with its console sales in Japan but its certainly pretty strong in Europe. My first two Xbox 360's were American and it was certainly nice to be able to buy some my games locally here in the UK. Sony have the right idea by making the PS3 region free and the Vita for the most part region free. I have a US PS3 as well and its good to be able to buy games from anywhere. Hopefully the PS4 will also be region free. It sucks that the Wii U like the Wii isn't. I appreciate that there are reasons for region locking like sales numbers and whether content is appropriate or not in specific countries but there is too much disparity when it comes to release dates and cost of games not to mention some games are not released worldwide. I will still buy an Xbox One despite this though.

#17 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

What makes you think that. Microsoft certainly does abysmally with its console sales in Japan but its certainly pretty strong in Europe. My first two Xbox 360's were American and it was certainly nice to be able to buy some my games locally here in the UK. Sony have the right idea by making the PS3 region free and the Vita for the most part region free. I have a US PS3 as well and its good to be able to buy games from anywhere. Hopefully the PS4 will also be region free. It sucks that the Wii U like the Wii isn't. I appreciate that there are reasons for region locking like sales numbers and whether content is appropriate or not in specific countries but there is too much disparity when it comes to release dates and cost of games not to mention some games are not released worldwide. I will still buy an Xbox One despite this though.

I was joking :P

#18 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

No surprises here, really, I didn't expect a console that is so restrictive to their users to be flexible in this front.

All Xbox's are region locked.

Edited by Molester Man, 30 May 2013 - 01:00 PM.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!