Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

Latley the new show Tropes Vs. Women in gaming has become popular. But is it sexist? This is a us vs. them thing IMO. It would be like me saying "gay power". She is using the I'm a female card as an excuse. Discuss but don't troll.

Signature_DK.png

#2 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

Okay my mind just flipped on what in the world was the subject. When it comes to females in videogames I just facepalm,  one party whines and cries about how sexy the women look and how much skin she is exposing and its very sexist towards the look on women, then one moans and rants about females being lead rolls. Look at how many people raged at the fact that Ellen from Last of Us is in front of the coverart.

Its not like damsel in distress is a rude and hurtful thing it was just what everyone went with for love stories. You love your lover so much you would go through hell, beating a bunch of foes trying to save her. Feeling the emotion they have, like in Devil May Cry 4, Nero tried to save Kyrie and he failed in that scene were he gets swallowed by the Savior's heart and felt like a huge failure and you feel the emotion in that scene that he lost his girl, but then in the end he did save her. Super Mario Bros 3 needed a plot, you can't just have gameplay without a story back then and damsel in distress is what they went with because Miyamoto loved Disney stories. Look at Zelda, she's not a hopeless damsel in distress she can actually fight with powerful magic but Ganon is too ovepowerful compared to her with his dark magic.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#3 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

Okay my mind just flipped on what in the world was the subject. When it comes to females in videogames I just facepalm,  one party whines and cries about how sexy the women look and how much skin she is exposing and its very sexist towards the look on women, then one moans and rants about females being lead rolls. Look at how many people raged at the fact that Ellen from Last of Us is in front of the coverart.

Its not like damsel in distress is a rude and hurtful thing it was just what everyone went with for love stories. You love your lover so much you would go through hell, beating a bunch of foes trying to save her. Feeling the emotion they have, like in Devil May Cry 4, Nero tried to save Kyrie and he failed in that scene were he gets swallowed by the Savior's heart and felt like a huge failure and you feel the emotion in that scene that he lost his girl, but then in the end he did save her. Super Mario Bros 3 needed a plot, you can't just have gameplay without a story back then and damsel in distress is what they went with because Miyamoto loved Disney stories. Look at Zelda, she's not a hopeless damsel in distress she can actually fight with powerful magic but Ganon is too ovepowerful compared to her with his dark magic.

Exactly what the Amazing Atheist said. It's in his second video (I would link it but it has stronger language) It's a convenient plot line and nothing more. Anita takes everything out of context.

Signature_DK.png

#4 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:52 AM

From The Amazing Atheist's Tumblr:

tumblr_mnvmpkGDbb1qdc32wo1_500.png

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#5 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

I don't mean to be a newb, but I havn't even got a clue whats going on here, in my defence I am VERY tired though :(

#6 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

I don't mean to be a newb, but I havn't even got a clue whats going on here, in my defence I am VERY tired though :(

We are talking about this newly popular channel and it's bias http://www.youtube.c...ministfrequency

Signature_DK.png

#7 Xerocks

Xerocks

Red Koopa Troopa

• Validating
  • 50 posts
  • Fandom:
    Deadly Premonition

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

I don't think her videos are sexist, but I can see how someone would think they are. However, I feel that if anyone had brought up this issue, they would be called sexist by someone out there because it disagrees with their opinion. There's always someone like that. It is refreshing to actually see someone drawing attention to this issue. While I am no feminist (I am a male with little to gain from feminism), the damsel in distress trope has not gone unnoticed by me. I feel like the majority of plots of pretty similar or basically the same, as this woman has pointed out in her second video pretty well. I don't buy the lame excuse, however true it may be, that the development pool is mostly male and that's why they can't come up with a believable female story. Give me a break. Plenty of people have written stories for members of the opposite sex. JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter, one of the most successful stories written about a member of one sex by someone of the other. It can be done and has. I think the big companies just aren't willing to try anything remotely unique, so we keep getting the same tired plot devices.

- Physical media forever!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!