Photo

What would have happened had Nintendo done another Wii?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:10 PM

What would have happened had Nintendo released the Wii U weaker and at a lower price point and said like they did with the original Wii, that it does not compete directly with the other consoles but is a console you buy with them?

#2 SolxBurst

SolxBurst

Okami Amaterasu

• Writers
  • 630 posts
  • NNID:SolxBurst
  • Fandom:
    Okami, Fire Emblem, Legend of Zelda

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

I guess, I don't know, there isn't enough in this hypothetical situation for make a console buying decision. But I probably would.

2jd1178.jpg

"...A well written villain is a hero in his/her own world..."

#3 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

Depends on new features. Put a mic on the Wii mote, make it a bit more ergonomic, make the numchuck wireless, best motion control to ever be applies and better sensor bar with something similar to PS Move eye. So many things they could have done.

If you mean like a weak Wii U, with like Ouya graphics then it clearly would fail flat on its face.

Edited by Colinx, 06 June 2013 - 06:22 PM.

2lvmghw.png

#4 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

You saying the Wii U isn't another Wii U? Wow. Lol I don't know though. A lot of people would be disappointed.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#5 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

Well if it's cheaper to compensate, sure, although I'd be a bit disappointed since more power could never hurt. I would because there are a handful of first party games I buy regardless. Just would expect it to be another first party machine, which isn't too bad but... I'd prefer if it got decent support.

Posted Image

#6 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

I'm glad Nintendo ditched the concept of all the games using that motion crap. Sometimes someone just want's to use a controller and that's why I think the Wii U is already a superior system.

Signature_DK.png

#7 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

I'm glad Nintendo ditched the concept of all the games using that motion crap. Sometimes someone just want's to use a controller and that's why I think the Wii U is already a superior system.

I agree about the controller. It's too bad a controller with a screen probably raised the price to what it is though.

#8 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

Quite a bit of Nintendo Land uses motion controls in some form whether gyro/accelerometer etc (using the gamepad and wii motes) . 

Takamaru's Ninja Castle

Captain Falcon's Twister Race

Donkey Kong's Crash Course

Metroid Blast

I know what you mean though, but motion is still around and being used sometimes in subtle ways you simply forget that's they way you are controlling the game because of the gameplay itself. 

I agree about the controller. It's too bad a controller with a screen probably raised the price to what it is though.

I think it's the best controller of this new generation though, offering the best amount of gameplay options and abilities.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#9 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

Technically they did. The Wii U is not as powerful as the PS4 or XBone (though the ratio is hotly debated). The Wii retailed at launch for $250 while the Wii U launched at $300 AND includes the gamepad which I don't think is cheap.

I do believe it will be discounted when the other two are launched, but I wouldn't say you should force yourself to wait.

Edited by grahamf, 06 June 2013 - 06:51 PM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#10 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

Quite a bit of Nintendo Land uses motion controls in some form whether gyro/accelerometer etc (using the gamepad and wii motes) . 

Takamaru's Ninja Castle

Captain Falcon's Twister Race

Donkey Kong's Crash Course

Metroid Blast

I know what you mean though, but motion is still around and being used sometimes in subtle ways you simply forget that's they way you are controlling the game because of the gameplay itself. 

I think it's the best controller of this new generation though, offering the best amount of gameplay options and abilities.

Exactly. I just hate having a gimmick forced. That's why I usually turn of the 3D on my 3DS. Some games are great with motion controls but I don't want to be required to do it with many of the games it forced me to do it with.

Signature_DK.png

#11 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

The fans probably would be outraged, since this would be the second gen that this happened. Many of them would of bought a XBONE or PS4.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#12 Xerocks

Xerocks

Red Koopa Troopa

• Validating
  • 50 posts
  • Fandom:
    Deadly Premonition

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

The name would make many think they did just make another Wii.

Edited by Xerocks, 06 June 2013 - 07:00 PM.

- Physical media forever!

#13 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

Technically they did. The Wii U is not as powerful as the PS4 or XBone (though the ratio is hotly debated). The Wii retailed at launch for $250 while the Wii U launched at $300 AND includes the gamepad which I don't think is cheap.

I do believe it will be discounted when the other two are launched, but I wouldn't say you should force yourself to wait.

The gap in-power between the Wii U/PS4/XBONE isn't as noticeable as the Wii/360/PS3. Where the Wii couldn't even do above 480p, was an overclocked gamecube, and couldn't handle any major engine. The Wii U is just as capable of running the same engines as the PS4/XBONE, capable of 1080p 60FPS, and could almost pull out the same visuals. A slight difference in power is better than a much bigger gap in power. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#14 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

Theeeeen they would move to Playstation, I'm already tired of gimmics. So are developers.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#15 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

They would've made a crapton of money while ticking off "hardcore" fans, all the while Sony and Microsoft try to break even on their consoles.

Of course, that's assuming this gen repeats itself, ergo, Nintendo pulling another 'Wii.'

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#16 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

That might have been better than what we have now. Wii at least got sports games. Wii U no Fifa, Madden, 2K, it is something strange going on. And I'm sure its all the third party fault... Right? Nintendo gets no blame?

#17 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

That might have been better than what we have now. Wii at least got sports games. Wii U no Fifa, Madden, 2K, it is something strange going on. And I'm sure its all the third party fault... Right? Nintendo gets no blame?

Well if they pulled a Wii and made the console cheaper, the console would likely have better sales, which might cause the sports games to be kept, but it would probably be a serious stretch as well.

#18 itsdavebaby

itsdavebaby

Blooper

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Fandom:
    Futurama

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

I would have bought it!  :D

#19 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

I would have bought it!  :D

Did you buy the Wii U?

#20 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

The gap in-power between the Wii U/PS4/XBONE isn't as noticeable as the Wii/360/PS3. Where the Wii couldn't even do above 480p, was an overclocked gamecube, and couldn't handle any major engine. The Wii U is just as capable of running the same engines as the PS4/XBONE, capable of 1080p 60FPS, and could almost pull out the same visuals. A slight difference in power is better than a much bigger gap in power. 

Spot on correct Zinix. What I don't uderstand is why others don't realize that?

Signature_DK.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!