Photo

What would have happened had Nintendo done another Wii?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

Spot on correct Zinix. What I don't uderstand is why others don't realize that?

Because it's not always that simple. But that's a subject for another time.

#22 itsdavebaby

itsdavebaby

Blooper

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Fandom:
    Futurama

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

Did you buy the Wii U?

Indeed I did.

#23 ccccombo

ccccombo

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

I'm glad Nintendo ditched the concept of all the games using that motion crap. Sometimes someone just want's to use a controller and that's why I think the Wii U is already a superior system.

They didn't ditch it, they just introduced another concept alongside it. They figured, Heck, since our touchscreen-based handhelds sell so well, that means a touchscreen-based console will, too.

Exactly. I just hate having a gimmick forced. That's why I usually turn of the 3D on my 3DS. Some games are great with motion controls but I don't want to be required to do it with many of the games it forced me to do it with.

But the motion controls were never forced. The classic controller pro was available since the Wii's launch. The only things that kept it from being on par with the 360 and PS3's controllers were the lack of force feedback, and the tethering to a Wii Remote. But develops always had the option of non-motion controls.

#24 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

They didn't ditch it, they just introduced another concept alongside it. They figured, Heck, since our touchscreen-based handhelds sell so well, that means a touchscreen-based console will, too.

But the motion controls were never forced. The classic controller pro was available since the Wii's launch. The only things that kept it from being on par with the 360 and PS3's controllers were the lack of force feedback, and the tethering to a Wii Remote. But develops always had the option of non-motion controls.

Most other core and hardcore Nintendo fans would also rather have the gamepad than motion gaming. It's not just me.

Edited by Rose Red, 06 June 2013 - 09:10 PM.

Signature_DK.png

#25 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

Most other core and hardcore Nintendo fans would also rather have the gamepad other motion gaming. It's not just me.

The Wii mote was still bad as a gamepad though.

#26 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

The Wii mote was still bad as a gamepad though.

I typed my post wrong and just edited it. Forget what it first said.

Signature_DK.png

#27 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

Hmm. I actually kind of liked the motion concept, it's what sold me. I mean obviously I didn't enjoy the tons of shovelware, but classic controls were usually an option. Too bad it didn't relase with Plus accuracy though.

Posted Image

#28 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

Hmm. I actually kind of liked the motion concept, it's what sold me. I mean obviously I didn't enjoy the tons of shovelware, but classic controls were usually an option. Too bad it didn't relase with Plus accuracy though.

The Wii did have a ton of shovelware. It had games alright, but many were shovelish.

#29 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

True. As Daniel Tosh pointed it it became a waste of technology, I wouldn't say all the time but it was a waste quite frequently.

Signature_DK.png

#30 Byakuya Togami

Byakuya Togami

Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:28 PM

The fans probably would be outraged, since this would be the second gen that this happened. Many of them would of bought a XBONE or PS4.

They couldn't have been mad at the Wii that much, considering it sold millions.

#31 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

They couldn't have been mad at the Wii that much, considering it sold millions.

Didn't the XBox 360 and PS3 sell a lot more?

#32 Byakuya Togami

Byakuya Togami

Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

Didn't the XBox 360 and PS3 sell a lot more?

LM4ONdi.png

Not necessarily.

#33 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

I stand corrected. The Wii U appears to not be selling as well as the Wii, but at least there's still the 3DS which sells well.

#34 Byakuya Togami

Byakuya Togami

Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

I stand corrected. The Wii U appears to not be selling as well as the Wii, but at least there's still the 3DS which sells well.

Yep, the Wii U is exactly why I think more power does not necessarily mean good sales.... I think it's all in the marketing and target audience.

#35 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

Yep, the Wii U is exactly why I think more power does not necessarily mean good sales.... I think it's all in the marketing and target audience.

And Nintendo didn't seem to market the Wii U well.

#36 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

The fans probably would be outraged, since this would be the second gen that this happened. Many of them would of bought a XBONE or PS4.

Lies. No one buys an Xbone.
No sig.

#37 Byakuya Togami

Byakuya Togami

Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

And Nintendo didn't seem to market the Wii U well.

I think Nintendo had a hard time finding a target audience. They want to appeal to both a casual and and a hardcore market, but the problem is they haven't done a good job of showing that the Wii U is family friendly like the Wii was, thus causing a radical drop in sales. By doing that, third parties don't want to support the Wii U. So they've systematically turned off both audiences.

#38 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

What would have happened had Nintendo released the Wii U weaker and at a lower price point and said like they did with the original Wii, that it does not compete directly with the other consoles but is a console you buy with them?

I as others have pointed out, they more or less did. The gamepad is in place of the Wii mote, and it is more or less positioned to be sitting next to the PS4 at this point. The only difference is the power disparity is less than before.

#39 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:41 AM

I'm just guessing here, but I think that honestly it would have flopped, seriously flopped, the casual market they had with the original Wii is gone, that is why they are trying to get the hardcore market of gamers back for Wii U.

#40 dustinb12

dustinb12

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Fandom:
    CM Punk, Zelda, Mario, Batman, ECW

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:22 AM

of course id buy it. who cares about the OTHER consoles?(sorry). yes ive been very disappointed by the cheaper games i got on the wii, like ghostbusters and wwe 13, but i love nintendo and must have all things mario and zelda. over the years ive been tempted to get a different console, but it would be just to play the batman and star wars games i missed. oh well, a trip to Hyrule always cured those ills!

Save the Deku trees!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!