Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

Has anyone else noticed that the gamepad wasn't really featured in the E3 stuff so far?  I don't know how any of the new games make use of it and in general they just haven't seemed to talk to about it much.

What's the deal?

Maybe I've missed something and if so, could someone please point me in the right direction?  

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#2 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

I have not seen much of it. Thats why I think even Nintendo doesn't know what to do with it. But hey, even if it was only for the offtv gaming, I would be happy with it.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#3 Sage

Sage

Chronicler

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • NNID:ViralLight
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda, Splatushi

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

The games do use the touch screen but Nintendo doesn't feel like there is a point in explaining its uses in the games they showed. They felt it was more important to just show the games, and that the only way to get the touchscreens importance across is just for one to experience it. Reggie explained this during the Nintendo Power Hour on Game Trailers. 

Edited by Viral Light, 12 June 2013 - 09:31 AM.

#4 Structures

Structures

LIL B's SiDEKiCK

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • NNID:Structures
  • Fandom:
    Gundam, Nintendo, Warcraft, Guild Wars

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

they showed what it was used for in w101, mario kart and I remember seeing it in something else

regardless maybe devs will be less scared and realize you don't HAVE to use the gamepad in groundbreaking ways

636416_0.jpg
Youtube Twitch.tv I stream Wii U Gameplay and PC Games

#5 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

Off-TV play is practically all you need, but I agree. I was expecting the new 3D Mario to be somewhat similar in Gamepad use to Vita's Tearaway: using the touchscreen and other Gamepad stuff to manipulate the environment. Instead, we got NSMBU use put into a glorified 3D Land port. I think Nintendo is just trying to put these games out, so they haven't put much emphesis into Gamepad use. Next year will really show us what WiiU is capable of.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#6 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

OP has a point, I hadn't noticed it but yeah, it really wasn't featured all that much, I think Nintendo might be running out of ideas.........

#7 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

I think Nintendo is trying to show that games don't have to use the gamepad... the Wiimotes or pro controllers are perfectly useable.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#8 ccc0mb0_bReakeR

ccc0mb0_bReakeR

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Fandom:
    Killer Instinct, Halo, Sonic, Bioshock

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

It's a missed opportunity imo , I love how its integrated into nintendo land and zombiU

#9 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

I don't think there is a point in showing the gamepad anymore unless it's something crazy new.

#10 ameritt

ameritt

Spiny

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

I don't think there is a point in showing the gamepad anymore unless it's something crazy new.

Agreed. Almost like how they stopped advertising the 3D in the 3DS so much

#11 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

Agreed. Almost like how they stopped advertising the 3D in the 3DS so much

Which is raises the question, did Nintendo really need to innovate with the Wii U? I always said a brand new HD Nintendo console with just a Pro Controller would have done the trick and they could have shifted focus else-where. Oh well- too late now. But like you said even the 3D in the 3DS advertising has been stopped. Maybe in the future we will see some real use of the gamepad.

#12 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

I don't like forced gimmicky gameplay with every game. It would be fun in some games but if they all used it we would end up having another Wii situation.

OP has a point, I hadn't noticed it but yeah, it really wasn't featured all that much, I think Nintendo might be running out of ideas.........

Until there is Virtual Reality they need to focus on gameplay rather than gimmick. Great point.

Edited by Rose Red, 14 June 2013 - 03:31 PM.

Signature_DK.png

#13 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

Which is raises the question, did Nintendo really need to innovate with the Wii U? I always said a brand new HD Nintendo console with just a Pro Controller would have done the trick and they could have shifted focus else-where. Oh well- too late now. But like you said even the 3D in the 3DS advertising has been stopped. Maybe in the future we will see some real use of the gamepad.

You don't see Ford touting the superiority of the automatic transmission anymore.

I expect Nintendo considers the usefulness of off-screen and second-screen play to be established.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#14 ameritt

ameritt

Spiny

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

I almost wish they did do that. I doubt Nintendo will ever have a console that doesn't have some gimmick though. I hope we do see some good use in the future. So far the best use in my opinion has been not needing to use split screen in games that normally demand it

#15 AdmiralClassy

AdmiralClassy

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • NNID:AdmiralClassy
  • Fandom:
    Dragon ball Z, Nintendo, One Piece

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

I don't mind if they don't use it for additional features in games. I just love it for off tv play

Shing Shong For Smash 4!

Honk For Ponk!

NNid AdmiralClassy
Psn AdmiralClassy

Steam AdmiralClassy

#16 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

I think they wanted to focus more on getting solid game content out. Knowing Nintendo, they haven't abandoned the Gamepad. However, they probably knew showing how the Gamepad interacts with the games could make them seen gimmicky, and so didn't want to take chances.

Bayonetta 2, however, seems like Phantom Hourglass in which you can play purely with touch functions, so you can't say they didn't show any Gamepad function.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#17 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

You don't see Ford touting the superiority of the automatic transmission anymore.

I expect Nintendo considers the usefulness of off-screen and second-screen play to be established.

Seriously? Established??

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#18 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:21 AM

Almost all of the games shown for Nintendo at E3

Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, Sonic Lost Worlds and others have unique features with the gamepad from touch screen controls, camera controls, off screen functionality etc.

Don't forget Game and Wario and Wii Party U, those games are doing some great things with the gamepad as well. Not every game will need to highlight the gamepad use. In fact, these two titles show off the gamepad as much as Nintendoland. These kinds of games will make the gamepad shine.

There really wasn't any need to spend much time promoting this, people just want to know about what games are coming out. Gamepad features are more of an added bonus in the end.

Off-TV play is practically all you need, but I agree. I was expecting the new 3D Mario to be somewhat similar in Gamepad use to Vita's Tearaway: using the touchscreen and other Gamepad stuff to manipulate the environment. Instead, we got NSMBU use put into a glorified 3D Land port. I think Nintendo is just trying to put these games out, so they haven't put much emphesis into Gamepad use. Next year will really show us what WiiU is capable of.

Actually, if you watch the video there is some interesting co-op stuff going on with the gamepad. Person with the gampad can sort of "magically" highlight special areas by using the stylus or their finger by swiping or going in circles. On the TV other players will see something sort of transparent as though there might be something there, when they jump they hit some coin blocks or special items etc.

Some players may not notice this if they are going through the stage with their friends at a fast clip but it's certainly a neat little concept thrown in.

Edited by Sorceror12, 15 June 2013 - 04:18 AM.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#19 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:06 AM

Well the gamepad is the selling point for the system and they didn't showcased it, I think Nintendo probably doesn't know what the Wiiu is aiming for yet.

#20 GreenPenInk

GreenPenInk

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

I wish I could remember which article it was and even so it was nothing concrete but it was mentioned their Zelda U will make full of use of the gamepad and be fully integrated in every part of the game.  Nothing but talk at this point but it's possible they're not showing off the gamepad until they have a flagship game (or two) with which to show it off.  I'm also of the opinion unless there's a meaningful, fun and intuitive way to incorporate the gamepad into the software just let it function as a second screen/helpful utility.  Not every game needs to use it for the sake of using it.  Let it build up some momentum and show off it's functionality so developers are tempted to use it rather than feel forced to use it as an afterthought just because it's part of the system.

Edited by GreenPenInk, 23 June 2013 - 09:26 PM.

zeldasig.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!