Photo

Interesting little GameStop tidbit from my PS4 pre order tonight

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

POPULAR

So when I went to GameStop tonight to put down money for my PS4, I was talking about how Infamous was one of my first choices to do PS4 instead of XOne. After the guy went on a run about how Microsoft is holding you ball and chain, he said that they've been told not to say anything about the console, meaning no marketing Phone call strategies, or anything like that, and if someone puts money down no talk about it is to really come up other than the game recommendations for the console. They said they have been told to recommend PS4 games and say positive things about the system, in order to attract attention away from the X1 instead. When I asked why all they said was that there's more to the used game restriction than Microsoft is saying.

So wow, I was pretty shocked seeing as how they'd make more money on the hardware seeing as it cost more, but Used games are a larger share is GS's profit so they're probably hurt about it.

Thoughts?
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#2 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

So when I went to GameStop tonight to put down money for my PS4, I was talking about how Infamous was one of my first choices to do PS4 instead of XOne. After the guy went on a run about how Microsoft is holding you ball and chain, he said that they've been told not to say anything about the console, meaning no marketing Phone call strategies, or anything like that, and if someone puts money down no talk about it is to really come up other than the game recommendations for the console. They said they have been told to recommend PS4 games and say positive things about the system, in order to attract attention away from the X1 instead. When I asked why all they said was that there's more to the used game restriction than Microsoft is saying.

So wow, I was pretty shocked seeing as how they'd make more money on the hardware seeing as it cost more, but Used games are a larger share is GS's profit so they're probably hurt about it.

Thoughts?

Sounds fishy. Microsoft may be up to something bad. I hope not because I plan on getting one next year if it doesn't get too bad.

Signature_DK.png

#3 Foot

Foot

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

Sounds fishy. Microsoft may be up to something bad. I hope not because I plan on getting one next year if it doesn't get too bad.

Aside from the DRM they complained about, I feel that the unused game DRM is something that they're hiding and there's more than just "Publishers will decide" instead their probably trying to force them or something
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

#4 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

Is it possible that one of those things is that they KNOW that some companies such as EA WILL block the resale of games? I remember Microsoft saying that it was ultimately up to the publisher.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#5 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

I think DRM is threatening gamestop's existence, and Microsoft is a big supporter of it, so GS is gonna try to kill it before it gets out of hand.
Very interesting though, very interesting.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#6 Structures

Structures

LIL B's SiDEKiCK

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • NNID:Structures
  • Fandom:
    Gundam, Nintendo, Warcraft, Guild Wars

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

yeah I've heard this from a lot of sources, Gamestop probably isn't one of the retailers Microsoft is allowing used games from

636416_0.jpg
Youtube Twitch.tv I stream Wii U Gameplay and PC Games

#7 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

simply put you gotta pay for used games.

They word it all weird and crazy but when it comes down to it. It will suck. You cant easily trade with your friend or even use your friends disc.

Plus the whole only checkin stuff.

But yea gamestop makes alot on used games. I once traded in a game and got like $3 for it (did want it and didnt feel like ebaying it) and they put it on the shelve for $19.99

so they can make a killing on the used games and MS is stopping all that.

but by doing that they are failing and i will be the death of them.

PLus you still gotta pay for online so got damn they wanna suck your money out your pocket.

youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#8 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

More importantly, gamestop might just die this gen, or the next one...
Posted Image

#9 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:13 AM

More importantly, gamestop might just die this gen, or the next one...

Highly unlikely considering the Xbox One games are the only ones affected by this. There is still games for the PS4, PS3, Wii U, 3DS, Vita and the various legacy consoles.

#10 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

Is it possible that one of those things is that they KNOW that some companies such as EA WILL block the resale of games? I remember Microsoft saying that it was ultimately up to the publisher.

I'm like 90% positive EA will block used games on both consoles for the simple fact that they removed online passes. Am i suppose to believe microsoft, the worst voted company voted 2 years straight, did this to be nice? i think not

#11 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

Highly unlikely considering the Xbox One games are the only ones affected by this. There is still games for the PS4, PS3, Wii U, 3DS, Vita and the various legacy consoles.

I was also referring to how digital download has appeared and is becoming more and more popular.
Posted Image

#12 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

This is very fishy, but at the end of the day this is Microsoft we are talking about here, I'm not suprised by anything they do these days, things are getting out of hand, and what this employee has said has me very, very intrigued to find out more.

#13 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

Thoughts?

Yes my thought is I wouldn't believe anything a GameStop employee tells you if I were you and take it with a pinch of salt.

#14 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

There`s more? Oh boy.

#15 Foot

Foot

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

Yes my thought is I wouldn't believe anything a GameStop employee tells you if I were you and take it with a pinch of salt.

See but the weird thing is why would they not advertise it? If people want to buy the console or the new games it'll still give GS 25% of the cut!

#16 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

I was also referring to how digital download has appeared and is becoming more and more popular.

True but its going to be a long time before digital downloads dominate game sales and become more popular then retail game sales. High speed Internet still isn't that prominent and even where it is its still pretty expensive. A lot of countries still don't have an up to date Internet infrastructure.

#17 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

True but its going to be a long time before digital downloads dominate game sales and become more popular then retail game sales. High speed Internet still isn't that prominent and even where it is its still pretty expensive. A lot of countries still don't have an up to date Internet infrastructure.

Yup, that's true. But Isn't GameStop only in NA? Because it might disappear sooner than in other countries. They could open an online infrastructure like Steam? But lol these thoughts are really farfetched!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!