Photo

Is it possible for the Xbox One to drop DRM/Used game block?

Xbox One DRM Used games Microsoft

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:52 AM

This is obviously going to hurt Microsoft so is it possible or likely they will drop these restrictions with a patch someday if they start bleeding bad enough? Tell me what you think.

Signature_DK.png

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:21 AM

They probably will.

They'll look stupid though.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

I don't know how easy it would be. Currently Xbox One games get installed to the hard drive, with the disk being no more than a courtesy for those who don't want to wait for the game to download. The game disk is optimized to be read from once in sequence, not to be used during a game. There would be performance hit due to long seek times and (I'm pretty sure) on-the-fly decompression.

And because the game disk is just a courtesy, it is not licensed itself. I wouldn't be surprised if XBone games require you to enter a license key that's on a slip of paper.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#4 Ghost

Ghost

BASEDGOD

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

I don't know how easy it would be. Currently Xbox One games get installed to the hard drive, with the disk being no more than a courtesy for those who don't want to wait for the game to download. The game disk is optimized to be read from once in sequence, not to be used during a game. There would be performance hit due to long seek times and (I'm pretty sure) on-the-fly decompression.

And because the game disk is just a courtesy, it is not licensed itself. I wouldn't be surprised if XBone games require you to enter a license key that's on a slip of paper.

Well they still have 5 months to go but they could go for the way the PS3 installs Game Data. I think they probably should ask for the deal Sony is getting as it's the better option. I know the Always/Online and Kinect requirements can be taken off by software but I think the DRM stuff like you said is a hardware problem. 

But then they still have a problem with pricing due to the amazing Wii U being $300 and PS4 $399. This would mean they would have to cut the pack pricing down to $420 or $450 to get any recovering sales. 

#5 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

Nothing a firmware update won't fix, I feel more sorry for the console, the things Microsoft are putting it through :(

#6 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

Nothing a firmware update won't fix, I feel more sorry for the console, the things Microsoft are putting it through :(

Oh, really?

The current setup is like a Steam or Nintendo eShop game, with the disk being no more than a convenient installer. I doubt it would be possible to read directly from the disk without a severe performance hit.

Now how do you intend, with a simple "firmware update", to strip the DRM while preventing people from installing the game then passing the disk along?

Edited by grahamf, 18 June 2013 - 09:12 PM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#7 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

Oh, really?

The current setup is like a Steam or Nintendo eShop game, with the disk being no more than a convenient installer. I doubt it would be possible to read directly from the disk without a severe performance hit.

Now how do you intend, with a simple "firmware update", to strip the DRM while preventing people from installing the game then passing the disk along?

Well shouldn't you feel silly now, Microsoft confirmed today that they are dropping all DRM issues and Used Game issues, well the system they will be selling at launch has not changed, as soon as you buy the console you have to connect to the internet once and only once to download a day one FIRMWARE UPDATE to remove all of the Xbox One's restrictions, hate to say I told you so, glad I waited to reply to this one.

Source: http://uk.ign.com/ar...-day-one-update

#8 XxNightfallxX

XxNightfallxX

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:
    Blind Guardian, Elder Scrolls

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

its all well and good that they decided to remove all the BS from their console but maybe its just me but I am still inclined in being cautious towards anything Micro$oft releases.  I had the displeasure of having my xbox 360 brick on me (during Christmas Day no less) and I still to this day do not trust how well their latest hardware will last.

#9 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

I think that if they did it would be at a very later date.

Or they will just coupon it type thing. because right now there stuff is crap

either way i wont be getting the xbox one. just to much crap and only a hand full of games that i would get anyways.

youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#10 ifrit05

ifrit05

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

Well according to multiple sources today the DRM functionality has been dropped. So... Cool I guess.

Edited by ifrit05, 19 June 2013 - 07:37 PM.

ifrit05s.png

Nintendo Network ID: ifrit05

Wii U Deluxe

#11 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

Well according to multiple sources today the DRM functionality has been dropped. So... Cool I guess.

Damage has been done.

Also still $100 more expensive because of the Kinect.

#12 ifrit05

ifrit05

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Yup, never will own a M$ console (except for the Xbox (original)), M$ is just plain idiotic these days. 

ifrit05s.png

Nintendo Network ID: ifrit05

Wii U Deluxe

#13 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

Well shouldn't you feel silly now, Microsoft confirmed today that they are dropping all DRM issues and Used Game issues, well the system they will be selling at launch has not changed, as soon as you buy the console you have to connect to the internet once and only once to download a day one FIRMWARE UPDATE to remove all of the Xbox One's restrictions, hate to say I told you so, glad I waited to reply to this one.

Source: http://uk.ign.com/ar...-day-one-update

Whitten clarified that “you’ll still install [games] to the hard drive. Obviously if you download them from online that’s the way it works. If you put a disc in, it will install it to the hard drive. You will have to have the disc in the tray in order to play. One of the cool features that actually comes with that, as an example, because we built on all this infrastructure around Xbox One, is if I went to your house with my disc-based game and we played for a while, and obviously I’d installed and we played, and then I left with my disc, you could instantly buy that game with no downloads.”

The instant game switching that Microsoft showed off at E3 will also still function, though players will of course need to change physical discs if they’re swapping between hard copies of games.

I don't see the difference. Admittedly NOW you can configure an XBone then ship it off to god-knows-where, but I don't think the used game policy has significantly changed, and the DRM hasn't been altered at all.

And I said "Now how do you intend, with a simple "firmware update", to strip the DRM while preventing people from installing the game then passing the disk along?" This doesn't resolve this. All it does is make it so that if an XBone can't phone home it still lets you play the game. Either Microsoft will let you resell your game (while being able to still play it until you connect your Xbox to the internet) or it will reject the sale until it communicates with your Xbox and confirms the removal of the license (unlikely)

And I don't believe Microsoft has explained if the console has to be connected to the internet to register a new game or not. I doubt they will change that, otherwise you can use a random license key and the console would not be able to verify if it was used or not.

And apparently I'm now kinda contradicting myself, but I don't care: The Xbox One Just Got Way Worse, And It's Our Fault - Gizmodo

Ands the best part? Not only are the games taking up valuable hard drive space, but you still have to stick the disk in the drive! You scratch the disk, you can't play the game. Your hard drive is full and you haven't gotten an external, you can't play the game without deleting another game.

Edited by grahamf, 19 June 2013 - 09:44 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Xbox One, DRM, Used games, Microsoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!