Photo

Gamestop's pre-order scheme (don't fall for it!)

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:54 AM

Two times in the past I went to pre-order game systems at GS along with a game to play at launch. They would give me a sheet of games and recommend a few what they call "launch" games to pre-order with it but every time all of those game don't appear at launch then I have to buy another game on the spot so I would have a game to play with my brand new system. So if you are in doubt check online to see if a game is going to be a launch title because Gamestop has been known to trick people.

Edited by Rose Red, 18 June 2013 - 08:55 AM.

Signature_DK.png

#2 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

Personally I typically don't preorder games with a new console and wait until launch day or near launch before getting games or preordering them. With the PS4 and Xbox One I've only preordered the consoles and will decide at launch probably what games to get.

#3 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

POPULAR

Or you could just, like. do your research before blindly preordering things.

Just a thought.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#4 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

What Gamestop did to me was worse. I traded in two systems and a bunch of games and they forgot to give me trade-in credit for a system but kept the system. I had to go back and talk to them about it to get the trade-in credit.

#5 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

Or you could just, like. do your research before blindly preordering things.

Just a thought.

That's what I was implying everyone should do for I made that mistake before of not doing it and taking Gamestop's advice.

Signature_DK.png

#6 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

What Gamestop did to me was worse. I traded in two systems and a bunch of games and they forgot to give me trade-in credit for a system but kept the system. I had to go back and talk to them about it to get the trade-in credit.

To be fair that's just as much responsibility as theirs. You should have checked you had the right amount of credit before leaving the store. Its no good just blaming them.

#7 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

To be fair that's just as much responsibility as theirs. You should have checked you had the right amount of credit before leaving the store. Its no good just blaming them.

There was a line in front of me and I was trading a lot of stuff. Also, nobody necessarily knows the exact trade-in value they will get, so it can easily tip $50 either way when making large trade-ins. But I still want credit for every system I bring in.

#8 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

There was a line in front of me and I was trading a lot of stuff. Also, nobody necessarily knows the exact trade-in value they will get, so it can easily tip $50 either way when making large trade-ins. But I still want credit for every system I bring in.

That's not really an excuse or a reason why its also not your responsibility. There is a specific trade in value for every item. You should have checked before you left you got the right amount. I very rarely trade stuff in but I always and I mean always double check I have been give the right amount before leaving the store. You can't put all the blame on the retailer.

#9 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

They're trying to sell you other games. Like GC said, do your research before pre-ordering them.

#10 Mara

Mara

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Fandom:
    DC Comics, One Piece, Monster Hunter

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

If a title is available at launch, it usually means the launch window which can be anything up to a year after the console is released.

tumblr_mnhpywxuMx1ryr1z3o1_250.gif

#11 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

POPULAR

They're trying to sell you other games. Like GC said, do your research before pre-ordering them.

Why do research when you're about to invest a small fortune into something?

Silly Blake...research is for peasants

Blindly throwing wads of 100's at GameStop clerks is what I be doin

throwing-money.gif

#12 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

throwing-money.gif

inb4 "Is that guy getting a XBox One?" jokes.

#13 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

throwing-money.gif

Peasant, cite your sources! el oh el ex dee are oh tee eff ell

#14 Phanto

Phanto

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • NNID:Phanto

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

Two times in the past I went to pre-order game systems at GS along with a game to play at launch. They would give me a sheet of games and recommend a few what they call "launch" games to pre-order with it but every time all of those game don't appear at launch then I have to buy another game on the spot so I would have a game to play with my brand new system. So if you are in doubt check online to see if a game is going to be a launch title because Gamestop has been known to trick people.

This. This is exactly why I pre-order from Target, Walmart or Toys R Us. Never had this kind of problem from any of them. Amazon is good too.

#15 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

GameStop always feels the need to give me a 15 minute advertising speech everytime I make a purchase. They are like "bu this game an that game for these reasons, GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY" I don't shop there anymore.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#16 Phanto

Phanto

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • NNID:Phanto

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

...I don't shop there anymore.

Good. Now if only everyone else would quit shopping there. The oppressive regime would fall!

#17 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

I've never heard of something like this happening. I've only pre ordered two consoles from GameStop (Wii U and 3DS), and this has never happened. So I don't know if they do this with bigger consoles from Sony and Microsoft, but I've never heard of anything like this. But I think you should do some research on what games are launch titles. I always make sure to know what I'm pre ordering and what the release date is to avoid any problems. All the GameStops I've been to have never given me much trouble. The employees barely even product push me, besides the quick one time question "anything else you want to pre order today?".

#18 dante👌

dante👌

Special Product

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

You guys must have bad gamestops. I have 0 problems at mine. And thd staff is very nice.

#19 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

Why would you pre-order games? Pre-order the console then buy the game, if the console is sold out who is gonna buy the games? Plus don't they have more copies of games than consoles?

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#20 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

You guys must have bad gamestops. I have 0 problems at mine. And thd staff is very nice.

This is pretty much my view on it. I've know I've never had any problems with mine.

if the console is sold out who is gonna buy the games? Plus don't they have more copies of games than consoles?

Probably the people that buy the console are gonna buy the games. But you do have a good point, they probably will have more than enough copies of things at launch, but I can see why people would want to get a guaranteed copy.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!