Photo

Cop shoots kittens infront of screaming children.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:07 AM

POPULAR

Just to clear up confusion, the mad cat shooter wasnt a police officer, he was a humane officer.

I dont know about Ohio, but in the states ive been humane officers and police officers are seperate things. Ones a police officer, and the other is animal control. Different divisions.

Specifically investigating/preventing cases of animal cruelty.... Not causing them.

So its not some beat cop who pulled up in between giving speeding tickets and domestic disputes to blow some kittens away.

The guys job was to humanely control animals.... Which I believe involves having the common sense to not euthanize a litter of kittens brains out in the backyard of a watching family, no matter how full the shelters were.

He might have had his butt and job publically saved for his stupid decision. But trust me. Its not without consequence.

This guy is one minor slip up away from getting his keister booted and is probably cleaning the kennels and pens with his toothbrush. Hes the Farva of the humane officers now.

But yeah, pretty sure hes not a cop, lets direct the animosity in the appropriate direction.

Humane officer (kitty killers)
56733341.jpg

Po- Po (minority beaters)
police_pic_2.JPG

cat swat: (????)
catswat.jpg

Swat cats (The radical squadron)
2035096220_1369457713.jpg

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#22 KingBoo

KingBoo

Walka

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • NNID:Kingofboos
  • Fandom:
    Mentos, bunnies, and anything Nintendo.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

= why i hate the human race 

bb0.gif

#23 stardust

stardust

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

first of all, do any of you know what a feral cat is?  Please read this.

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Feral_cat

#24 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

Well what he did wasn't against the law. HAH! If you're going to say that then darn near every species is evolved. Human beings are animals. How would I like it if someone shot me over territory? Well I imagine I wouldn't much enjoy it but in the olden days there were laws saying you could do that. In fact I think we may still have that law. Doesn't affect me much since I don't trespass on people's property. Anyway people attacking each other over territory is usually called war.

The article also states that shooting is considered a humane way of euthanizing.

I'd shoot you over territory. 

Edited by Zinix, 21 June 2013 - 10:06 AM.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#25 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

first of all, do any of you know what a feral cat is?  Please read this.

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Feral_cat

Were the kittens that were shot feral though?

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#26 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

Ugh america have so many stupid laws.

Sometimes I worry that you guys are the "biggest power in the world". 

Chill out. Other animals kill over territory and that's basically what he did. Not his territory but still. Anyway he didn't have to shoot them but still. Chill out.

Humans have evolved well beyond animals. Our thought processes are much more evolved and complex and we usually do not make decisions based solely on instinct and nature like animals.

#27 stardust

stardust

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

Were the kittens that were shot feral though?

as this was posted in the initial post:

"An Ohio policeman shot to death a litter of kittens on Wednesday, telling a group of screaming children that the animals would be going to “kitty heaven”. But instead of firing the officer, the local police department cleared him of any wrongdoing.

Humane Officer Barry Accorti was responding to a report of a litter of feral cats that were located in the woodpile of a home in North Ridgeville on June 10. The resident who made the call said the cats were bringing fleas to the home and leaving dead wildlife in her backyard.  Twenty minutes after the call was made, the officer arrived at the scene. After spotting the five kittens, he told the resident’s distressed children that the cats would be going to heaven. Shortly thereafter, he took a gun from his vehicle and shot the animals to death."

#28 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

as this was posted in the initial post:

"An Ohio policeman shot to death a litter of kittens on Wednesday, telling a group of screaming children that the animals would be going to “kitty heaven”. But instead of firing the officer, the local police department cleared him of any wrongdoing.

Humane Officer Barry Accorti was responding to a report of a litter of feral cats that were located in the woodpile of a home in North Ridgeville on June 10. The resident who made the call said the cats were bringing fleas to the home and leaving dead wildlife in her backyard.  Twenty minutes after the call was made, the officer arrived at the scene. After spotting the five kittens, he told the resident’s distressed children that the cats would be going to heaven. Shortly thereafter, he took a gun from his vehicle and shot the animals to death."

Oh, okay. So the shooting was somewhat justified, since they were feral. 

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#29 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

Oh, okay. So the shooting was justified, since they were feral.

Well, no, while euthinization may have been justified, blowing kitty brains out in front of a family of children was most certainly not.

While feral cats can ne very dangerous, vicious and mean, its pretty clear these kittens werent developed enough to be at that point.

By about 10 months kittens very strongly resemble somewhat smaller adult cats. Most people wouldnt even refer to them as kittens.

Something that looks like a kitten is likely younger than 8 months and is still deep in development. In other words, they are far from having learned to be wild animals, they simply play all day and havent even really developed a fight or flight response.

Which is why the humane officer was simply able to pick them up by their scruff and put them in a 'box' like area made of stacked fire wood, and they just sat there without them trying to escape. And then when he started shooting them they didnt understand to simply climb the firewood and escape.

They very likely werent feral either. They were likely begat by somebodies pet, and then later dumped in the wild. Stray kittens. After all, why didnt the officer search for the truly dangerous full grown feral mother?

Kittens that young are very, very easily socialized, particularly these ones, who most probably already had human contact before their 'owners' decided to dump them. Probably another reason they offered no resistance to the humane officer.

Feral kitten, and 3 weeks after adoption:
800px-Transformation_of_a_stray_kitten_i

Also, you could just give them fish until hearts appear above their heads:
catlove.jpg

This was a very poor judgement call.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#30 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • NNID:Savoir
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

Ugh america have so many stupid laws.

Sometimes I worry that you guys are the "biggest power in the world". 

Humans have evolved well beyond animals. Our thought processes are much more evolved and complex and we usually do not make decisions based solely on instinct and nature like animals.

Ah so we're not allowed to kill because we're able to think?
"So if Zero Suit Samus is fanbait for guys, where is the fanbait for girls? Why isn’t Captain Falcon wearing a thong or sporting a chest twice the size of his last model? Why doesn’t Mario have an absurd crotch buldge holding in his 10 inch slice of manhood? Why doesn’t Yoshi look like a Fist of the North Starcharacter.

That, my friends, is why the design is sexist."~Angelo M. D'Argenio-4/17/2014

"Yes, because owning only 1 game in this series makes you qualified to have an opinion on it"~PyroKinesis-5/7/2014

"He is a game dev, critic, games media writer, and candidate for a phd by the way. So, LMFAO."~3Dude 9/4/2014

#31 stardust

stardust

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

Well, no, while euthinization may have been justified, blowing kitty brains out in front of a family of children was most certainly not.

While feral cats can ne very dangerous, vicious and mean, its pretty clear these kittens werent developed enough to be at that point.

By about 10 months kittens very strongly resemble somewhat smaller adult cats. Most people wouldnt even refer to them as kittens.

Something that looks like a kitten is likely younger than 8 months and is still deep in development. In other words, they are far from having learned to be wild animals, they simply play all day and havent even really developed a fight or flight response.

Which is why the humane officer was simply able to pick them up by their scruff and put them in a 'box' like area made of stacked fire wood, and they just sat there without them trying to escape. And then when he started shooting them they didnt understand to simply climb the firewood and escape.

They very likely werent feral either. They were likely begat by somebodies pet, and then later dumped in the wild. Stray kittens. After all, why didnt the officer search for the truly dangerous full grown feral mother?

Kittens that young are very, very easily socialized, particularly these ones, who most probably already had human contact before their 'owners' decided to dump them. Probably another reason they offered no resistance to the humane officer.

Feral kitten, and 3 weeks after adoption:
800px-Transformation_of_a_stray_kitten_i

Also, you could just give them fish until hearts appear above their heads:
catlove.jpg

This was a very poor judgement call.

I don't think you read the entire article.

#32 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

I don't think you read the entire article.

Yes, I did.

'He started shooting them right in
front of her. Her children were upstairs in view
of the windows. They started screaming and
crying because they heard the gunshots. They
started screaming'

“The kittens were just sitting there,” she told The
Morning Journal. “

Feral cats dont just sit there to die. They run off, or if cornered viciously defend themselves.

220px-Feral_cat.jpg

Even domestic animals will if threatened enough. Undeveloped young just sit there because they have no sense of self preservation.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#33 stardust

stardust

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

Yes, I did.

'He started shooting them right in
front of her. Her children were upstairs in view
of the windows. They started screaming and
crying because they heard the gunshots. They
started screaming'

“The kittens were just sitting there,” she told The
Morning Journal. “

Feral cats dont just sit there to die. They run off, or if cornered viciously defend themselves.

220px-Feral_cat.jpg

Even domestic animals will if threatened enough. Undeveloped young just sit there because they have no sense of self preservation.

You are cherry picking sections of this article to support an argument of your liking.  However, I expect that.

They were feral cats.  It says so in the start in start of the article.  Even the owner complained that they were bringing fleas into their home and dead animals in the backyard.  The officer said they were going to go to "heaven" - so what should that suggest right there?  To top it off, he goes and gets a gun.  If the lady cared so much about these cats, maybe she shouldn't have called animal control in the first place!  I find it humerous that she stood and watched these cats get their brains blown out.  She deserves to have that memory etched in her mind forever.

#34 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

You are cherry picking sections of this article to support an argument of your liking. However, I expect that.

They were feral cats. It says so in the start in start of the article. Even the owner complained that they were bringing fleas into their home and dead animals in the backyard. The officer said they were going to go to "heaven" - so what should that suggest right there? To top it off, he goes and gets a gun. If the lady cared so much about these cats, maybe she shouldn't have called animal control in the first place! I find it humerous that she stood and watched these cats get their brains blown out. She deserves to have that memory etched in her mind forever.

'Initially, the woman who made the call assumed
that the gun was a tranquilizer. But to her
surprise, the 8-to-10 week-old kittens were shot
dead, just 15 feet from the back door to her
house.'

Its really, really looking like you are the one who didnt read the article.

I dont expect civilians to know weapon identification.

Also, 8 to 10 week old kittens. So dangerous.

The guy shot the kittens because he claimed the shelters were full, or more likelt, he simply didnt want to bother with the effort and shooting them was easier. Being exposed to that kind of environment for extended periods of time desensitizes you. It is important to remember others around you are NOT desensitized.

Regaurdless, doing it in front of the family is idiotic, and a very very poor judgement call, on many, many levels including endangering the children and woman via ricochet.

The man was an idiot, and made a very very bad judgement.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#35 stardust

stardust

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

'Initially, the woman who made the call assumed
that the gun was a tranquilizer. But to her
surprise, the 8-to-10 week-old kittens were shot
dead, just 15 feet from the back door to her
house.'

Its really, really looking like you are the one who didnt read the article.

I dont expect civilians to know weapon identification.

Also, 8 to 10 week old kittens. So dangerous.

The guy shot the kittens because he claimed the shelters were full, or more likelt, he simply didnt want to bother with the effort and shooting them was easier. Being exposed to that kind of environment for extended periods of time desensitizes you. It is important to remember others around you are NOT desensitized.

Regaurdless, doing it in front of the family is idiotic, and a very very poor judgement call, on many, many levels including endangering the children and woman via ricochet.

The man was an idiot, and made a very very bad judgement.

excuse me, but yes, I read the whole thing.  I still don't believe you have made much of an effort to do some critical thinking.  The guy made a good call.  The woman made the poor choice by calling and watching.  As if looking was going to help these poor feral cats be saved from going to heaven after the guy told her so.

The only crime is that he can't shoot her for being such a moron.

Edited by stardust, 21 June 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#36 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

excuse me, but yes, I read the whole thing. I still don't believe you have made much of an effort to do some critical thinking. The guy made a good call. The woman made the poor choice by calling and watching. As if looking was going to help these poor feral cats be saved from going to heaven after the guy told her so.

The only crime is that he can't shoot her for being such a moron.

Its not the womans job to make, or be expected to make such decisions. Its the humane officers. Its almost like its his job or something and not hers.

And no, he very obviously made a piss poor decision.

1. He upset a civilian woman and her family so bad they called in to complain.

2. He endangered a residential neighborhood by opening fire within ricochet range of several households, when there was clearly no need to do so.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#37 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

Eh, this is really strange the more I think about it. Kittens that young are adopted very swiftly. Most likely if he brought them into a shelter, they would've eventually "made room" via older, aggressive, or otherwise "unadoptable" animals such as the bully breeds or big black dogs, assuming it's not a no-kill shelter. And if he really didn't wanna bother with bringing them in, there's many cheaper and safer methods to euthanize a small animal rather than wasting bullets that are also able to be done cleanly and out of sight. Something must've been wrong with him to do that, perhaps he needs a "vacation" from the shelters.

Posted Image

#38 stardust

stardust

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:40 AM

Its not the womans job to make, or be expected to make such decisions. Its the humane officers. Its almost like its his job or something and not hers.

And no, he very obviously made a revel in the beautiful sunshine poor decision.

1. He upset a civilian woman and her family so bad they called in to complain.

2. He endangered a residential neighborhood by opening fire within ricochet range of several households, when there was clearly no need to do so.

I hope you will remember everything you just said when you find yourself coming across a feral cat.  Maybe you can set an example by being nice to it by picking it up and petting it.

#39 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:33 AM

I hope you will remember everything you just said when you find yourself coming across a feral cat.

Suddenly feral cats are the most dangerous things ever?  Most of the time feral cats are more scared of humans than anything and usually just hide.  My brother actually owns a 'feral' cat, who has been mostly domesticated.

I don't get the idea that the things need to be shot and killed everywhere just because they're feral.  Why not go and just shoot up all the coyotes and wolfs around here?  People did it for years, and now the entire southwest wolf population is almost nonexistent.

From my understanding, most times animal control takes care of things like Raccoons, they typically don't open fire in a residential neighborhood.

#40 stardust

stardust

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

Suddenly feral cats are the most dangerous things ever?  Most of the time feral cats are more scared of humans than anything and usually just hide.  My brother actually owns a 'feral' cat, who has been mostly domesticated.

I don't get the idea that the things need to be shot and killed everywhere just because they're feral.  Why not go and just shoot up all the coyotes and wolfs around here?  People did it for years, and now the entire southwest wolf population is almost nonexistent.

From my understanding, most times animal control takes care of things like Raccoons, they typically don't open fire in a residential neighborhood.

Mournblade,

It is risky behavior to pick up any animal that you don't know - especially anything feral.  You don't know where they've been and let alone no one can mind read how they may react.  People forget that animals have a personality that isn't the same for each and every single one.  So I challenge anyone who thinks that anything feral is harmless - please go out of your way to go find these animals and proceed to treat them like any other pet in your house.  I know I wouldn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!