TheWiiU.com's News Bot

• Members
  • 1,781 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii U Go, Wii U Blog

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

Satoru Iwata Banana Small
This banana is region locked.

In an interview with IGN during E3, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata was questioned on region locking Nintendo products. Both Sony and Microsoft have confirmed that their newest consoles will not be region locked.

Satoru Iwata had an interesting answer when questioned on the seemingly outdated practice:

From some people’s perspective, it might seem like a kind of restriction. However, we hope people can appreciate the fact that we’re selling our products worldwide. There are many different regions around the world, and each region has its own cultural acceptance and legal restrictions, as well as different age ratings. There are always things that we’re required to do in each different region, which may go counter to the idea that players around the world want the freedom to play whatever they want.

…I hope that game fans can understand that the industry isn’t doing this solely out of business ego. There are some reasons behind it.

While I partially understand differing laws affecting games (such as the gambling in Pokemon), I still find it odd that entire systems have to be region locked instead of just having different versions of games.

View and comment on the full article at Wii U Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!