Photo

So now that we pretty much know all the consoles' specs, let's talk about them..

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:04 AM

Wii U:

3 1.24 GHz CPU cores
2 GB RAM + 32MB EDRAM on GPU
550 MHz GPU
8 ROPs
16 TMUs
320 Shader Units (speculation but all but comfirmed)
12.8GB memory bandwidth (most likely) + 70.4 GB EDRAM bandwidth (?)

Each CPU core is probably a little more powerful than the XBox One's and PS4's, 3Dude is probably right... though, the PS4 and XBox One have more cores.

XBox One:

8 1.6 GHz CPU cores
8 GB RAM + 32MB ESRAM on GPU
800MHz GPU
16 ROPs
48 TMUs
768 Shader Units
68 GB/second memory bandwidth + 102 GB/second ESRAM bandwidth (?)

PS4:

8 1.6 GHz CPU cores
8 GB RAM
800MHz GPU
32 ROPs
72 TMUs
1152 Shader Units
176 GB/second memory bandwidth

#2 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:
    BF4-pc,GTA-360,Splinter cell-pc

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:16 AM

For me the PS4 is the clear next purchase, good price that won't drop for years if PS3 is anything to go by,very nice spec and free games on PS+.

Although i like a couple of the Xbone games, but it's got way to much against a purchase even if some muppet's are saying the Esram will help the Xbone deliver the power.

WiiU will show some nice looking games when they get round to it as it appears to be very custom. However it's pretty clear only Nintendo will be bothered to unlock this in future games.

Posted Image

Add me on Miiverse !! I'm from England but the world is a lot smaller online!

#3 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:17 AM

For me the PS4 is the clear next purchase, good price that won't drop for years if PS3 is anything to go by,very nice spec and free games on PS+.

Although i like a couple of the Xbone games, but it's got way to much against a purchase even if some muppet's are saying the Esram will help the Xbone deliver the power.

WiiU will show some nice looking games when they get round to it as it appears to be very custom. However it's pretty clear only Nintendo will be bothered to unlock this in future games.

I'll like your post, even though calling someone a muppet isn't very nice.

#4 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:27 AM

I'll like your post, even though calling someone a muppet isn't very nice.

Lol ta, i sort of say/write what i think.

Posted Image

#5 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:27 AM

Hardware doesn't mean anything... There's my speculation on them.

• Doc likes this

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#6 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:20 AM

I don't even know what there is to really talk about with these spec comparison topics anymore. It's all the same thing. We know what kind of graphics are capable on the WiiU now, and they will probably get a bit better down the line. The PS4 and Xbone will likely have significantly better graphics but not to the point that they are blowing WiiU out of the water.

You can compare the numbers all you want, but honestly it doesn't really help. These systems are all pretty powerful and will have pretty close quality to each other, similar to how the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox was.

zZJ9pHB.png
Special thanks to Horchata. I appreciate it so much.

#7 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

We know what kind of graphics are capable on the WiiU now, and they will probably get a bit better down the line. The PS4 and Xbone will likely have significantly better graphics but not to the point that they are blowing WiiU out of the water.

We still don't know this, do we? It seems up to the PS4/XB1 software developers.

Edited by Amnesia, 15 July 2013 - 07:27 AM.

#8 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

We still don't know this, do we? It seems up to the PS4/XB1 software developers.

It's not that hard to figure out since these games really aren't blowing the current gens away. Yeah the graphics are improved, but not by leaps and bounds like past generations. If these systems are not completely destroying the current gen systems then they are not going to be beasting on the WiiU which is a next gen, or I should say current gen since the new gen started with WiiU,

zZJ9pHB.png

#9 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

It's not that hard to figure out since these games really aren't blowing the current gens away. Yeah the graphics are improved, but not by leaps and bounds like past generations. If these systems are not completely destroying the current gen systems then they are not going to be beasting on the WiiU which is a next gen, or I should say current gen since the new gen started with WiiU,

All early games on systems look horrible and don't show off the system well; it seems to be too soon to tell.

#10 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

All early games on systems look horrible and don't show off the system well; it seems to be too soon to tell.

Uhhh...Did I not mention that in my other post, I'm pretty sure I did.

Remember though, that we have seen a few games already that have great graphics. Pikmin 3 looks very good and that is coming out 9 months into the system's life. Also Super Mario 3D World looks good too and that will be coming here about a year into its life. Not to mention how great Mario Kart 8 already looks and will probably look better than what we have seen because it is not coming out until next year. The detail in MK8 just looks beautiful.

What I am saying is these systems are all great visually, but I doubt there is going to be any OMG those graphics kill the WiiU like last gen killed the WIi in graphics. It's already evident in some of the upcoming Nintendo games that we have seen that this system is capable of holding it's own with the other two. Yeah like you said PS4 and Xbone are going to improve graphics later into it's life, but so is the WiiU. Things are pretty even.

zZJ9pHB.png

#11 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

Uhhh...Did I not mention that in my other post, I'm pretty sure I did.

Remember though, that we have seen a few games already that have great graphics. Pikmin 3 looks very good and that is coming out 9 months into the system's life. Also Super Mario 3D World looks good too and that will be coming here about a year into its life. Not to mention how great Mario Kart 8 already looks and will probably look better than what we have seen because it is not coming out until next year. The detail in MK8 just looks beautiful.

What I am saying is these systems are all great visually, but I doubt there is going to be any OMG those graphics kill the WiiU like last gen killed the WIi in graphics. It's already evident in some of the upcoming Nintendo games that we have seen that this system is capable of holding it's own with the other two. Yeah like you said PS4 and Xbone are going to improve graphics later into it's life, but so is the WiiU. Things are pretty even.

This is where looking at specs comes in handy though. It shows that if there is ever something of the magnitude of Crysis 1 for PC, and improved since then and on something like PS4, it could actually blow away the Wii U. So um, like I said, it's up to the software developers.

#12 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

This is where looking at specs comes in handy though. It shows that if there is ever something of the magnitude of Crysis 1 for PC, and improved since then and on something like PS4, it could actually blow away the Wii U. So um, like I said, it's up to the software developers.

Yes there probably will be a game like that that will come out on the other systems. That is not what I am debating though, I am talking about the generation as a whole and the fact that they will all be pretty even with each other. That's what I have been talking about since my first post.

zZJ9pHB.png

#13 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

Wii u will look great in a year or 2 but as of now it's still competing with current gen. While PS4/1 already looks better than current gen so looking at the games in a year or 2 from now the wiiu wont look as good as its contemporarys. I bet it will be like the current gen going up against a high end PC, that's the Wiiu to PS4/1 comparison.

#14 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

One thing that i dont think is mentioned enough is that xbone utilizing a ddr3 and esram combo means it will be running laps around ps4 as far as ram latency is concerned.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#15 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

One thing that i dont think is mentioned enough is that xbone utilizing a ddr3 and esram combo means it will be running laps around ps4 as far as ram latency is concerned.

That's true. CPU needs... um... gddr3, not gddr5.

#16 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

What's the score with ESram and EDram? one faster than the other?

Posted Image

#17 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

uWhat's the score with ESram and EDram? one faster than the other?

sram is much much much faster than dram in terms of latency, its why the cube and wii use it. Bacl then it was pretty clear cut sram>>>>>dram, if it wasnt for the fact sram was so big ypu couldnt embed it, they would have used it and paid through the nose to get it.

However its expensive, power hogging, and not dense, meaning it takes up a lot of space for very little ram.

Dram is cheap, doesnt take a lot of power, and is very dense so you can put WAY more mb dram in the same space as sram. But, since it needs to refresh every cycle, its latency (how long you uave to wait to use it) is much higher... er, was, much higher.

Recent advances in edram technology (2008-2010) use the space cleared up by having such tiny ram cells to make larger bit interfaces for each cell, with each cell bussed six ways to sunday, bandwidth skyrockets, and acording to ibm 'Has double the bandwidth of sram of the same capacity, and the latency is only slightly worse than sram'

However, sram tech hasnt stood still either. Its heen shrunk enough for ms to embed it onto their die! Unfortunately I simply dont have much of any material on esram used like this, 32Mb is pretty huge 32kb sure ok, 256 kb, yeah... but 32 Mb? Not common place. But Im sure the latency is psychotically fast, and the bandwidth is definately boosted being on die as opposed to a daughter die, and i very much look forward to getting my hands on the material as info becomes available.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#18 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

Thanks 3Dude i get that. So the PS4 being better spec than Xbone is there but if they use Xbone mem correctly it should pull some back.

Posted Image

#19 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

ps4 is a defo buy for me,going to deliver more in all areas imo :)

#20 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

Thanks 3Dude i get that. So the PS4 being better spec than Xbone is there but if they use Xbone mem correctly it should pull some back.

Im pretty sure these systems are going to be completely homogenous. They will pick the xbone as the base, since its esier to port up, and the games will be identical.

Only sce or msgs will make games that take advantadge of hardware differences...

But man will they be a sight.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!