20 replies to this topic

#1 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

Now, before you read this, I'd just like you to know that this is not another hate thread. I'm quite a Nintendo fanboy myself. I am just pointing out the Wii U's real problem, which is not the usual "the Wii U is underpowered" rubbish. That said, have a rant thingy.

I think the Wii U's biggest problem (and one that helps cause the misconception that it's underpowered) right now is that we're still getting launch games 9 months after launch. Not only is this the cause of the game drought, but the games that are finally releasing look like launch titles (albeit good ones) rather than 9-months-after-launch titles. I know these games have had a longer development time due to the delays, and that should allow for them to look better than a few months ago, but Miyamoto has admitted that it's taken some time to get used to developing for an HD console, and I'd bet that has nearly doubled the amount of time it takes to develop these first few games.

So, yeah. That's basically my opinion on what the Wii U's real problem is. And it's not necessarily a problem just with the Wii U, but with gamers as well. Gamers who are impatient and can't deal with delayed games that wouldn't necessarily be delayed, had it not been for them pushing Nintendo to release their new console already. Gamers who believe that, if a console isn't capable of outputting the same quality of visuals as the others (which we don't even know is the case yet), it's underpowered and current-gen.

Please, post your own opinions; I love looking through them! :D Especially when it gets 3Dude and Desert Punk arguing. That's the best! x3

Edited by MatrixChicken, 15 July 2013 - 03:05 PM.

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#2 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

So your problem is that Nintendo is taking too long on something they haven't done before? Sounds fair.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#3 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

Sounds fair, I never had a real interest in the WiiU until after Nintendo Direct, and I only buy nintendo consoles (the 3DS never appealed to me).

I'll be frank, I may have Sonic Racing and NSMBU, but I got the WiiU for Windwaker HD, Smash, Mario 3D World, Rayman Legends, and some other stuff.

#4 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

So your problem is that Nintendo is taking too long on something they haven't done before? Sounds fair.

Well, it's not really my problem, but yeah, sorta. :P I think it's fair that they take longer due to learning as they go. Still, it's an honest mistake on Nintendo's part. My real problem is the people who disregard that factor and believe that Nintendo is just being lazy about it.

#5 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

Yes, the content pipeline is definately the problem. Nobody would be complaining if wii u launched with say, X.

But... Its not so much the fact they are having trouble adjusting to hd development, they know what to do, and are damn good at it.

You need look no farther than the emerging screens of the near photorealistic pikmin 3 in its better looking areas.

Their problem was they vastly under estimated the manpower and time needed to create art assets of Nintendo quality for machines as powerful as wii u. They found out they need twice the human resources as they had originally planned for, and they already had MASSIVE expansions beefing up all ead and est divisions, and tripling the staff of retro and monolith soft (both over 150 personell strong as of now, and giving the latter a brand new building for all the new staff).... And it wasnt close to enough people.

You dont need to look any farther than.... Again, pikmin 3 to see the results of being understaffed for content creation.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#6 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

I'm not sure who's fault it is, but Nintendo had a pretty big lead in the release dates game and when their console could have shined, it didn't. Nintendo has been known for doing this. They released the GameCube when pretty much all they had was Luigi's Mansion, although Smash Bros. Melee wasn't far behind. They released the original Wii when all they had was Twilight Princess. Etc.

#7 ChrisD

ChrisD

Nyah, see! Nyah!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Fandom:
    PCSoTendo. Because fanboyism is dumb.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

I think the Wii U's biggest problem (and one that helps cause the misconception that it's underpowered) right now is that we're still getting launch games 9 months after launch. Not only is this the cause of the game drought, but the games that are finally releasing look like launch titles (albeit good ones) rather than 9-months-after-launch titles. I know these games have had a longer development time due to the delays, and that should allow for them to look better than a few months ago, but Miyamoto has admitted that it's taken some time to get used to developing for an HD console, and I'd bet that has nearly doubled the amount of time it takes to develop these first few games.

Must... Resist...

Nope, I just can't.

...And I also can't find the picture I was looking for. Confound it.

I don't think the whole, "HD Development is harrrrrd," excuse is a good one at all. Sony went through issues when they entered HD development. Microsoft had issues. Nintendo should have known it's harder than it was on the Wii to make games if they actually, I don't know, payed attention? And with the huge First Party drought on Wii in it's final years they had ample time to get used to developing in HD. But they didn't.

So, yeah. That's basically my opinion on what the Wii U's real problem is. And it's not necessarily a problem just with the Wii U, but with gamers as well. Gamers who are impatient and can't deal with delayed games that wouldn't necessarily be delayed, had it not been for them pushing Nintendo to release their new console already. Gamers who believe that, if a console isn't capable of outputting the same quality of visuals as the others (which we don't even know is the case yet), it's underpowered and current-gen.

How is this an issue in the slightest with gamers? If Nintendo WERE dumb enough to be bossed around into releasing their console earlier than planned then this would make sense. But they wouldn't fall to pressure like that. The release date they set is the date it was releasing, with or without the impatient people who wanted the console, now.

With that said, no, the games aren't being delayed because of customers/gamers. They're being delayed because Nintendo don't know how to pay attention to other people in the business. It's an issue with them not thinking about the future, or paying mind to those who've already gone through this same pain.

As for that very last sentence... I don't think many people actually think that way. It's a stereotype; like the CoD Kid and, "No blood, no play." And if a self-proposed gamer does think that way... Well, there's a reason I hate the title, "Gamer."

#8 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

I'm not sure who's fault it is, but Nintendo had a pretty big lead in the release dates game and when their console could have shined, it didn't. Nintendo has been known for doing this. They released the GameCube when pretty much all they had was Luigi's Mansion, although Smash Bros. Melee wasn't far behind. They released the original Wii when all they had was Twilight Princess. Etc.

The problem is they didn't have that one killer title. They didn't have a Zelda. They didn't have a proper Mario game. They had ZombiU, and other third party titles. And it didn't sell the Wii U.

That was Nintendo's big mistake. Trusting someone else to do their job for them. They should of had that one game ... And they didn't.

Must... Resist...

Nope, I just can't.

...And I also can't find the picture I was looking for. Confound it.

I don't think the whole, "HD Development is harrrrrd," excuse is a good one at all. Sony went through issues when they entered HD development. Microsoft had issues. Nintendo should have known it's harder than it was on the Wii to make games if they actually, I don't know, payed attention? And with the huge First Party drought on Wii in it's final years they had ample time to get used to developing in HD. But they didn't.

Just because you paid attention, doesn't mean you know what needs to be done. I can watch someone build a house and think I can do it. But until I actually do it, I may not be prepared.

They estimated what they needed and was wrong. Even Platinum Games, someone who has made HD games, ran into delays.

Remember, too, Nintendo is known for delaying until it's perfect. That's there way.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#9 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

Yeah, I pretty much agree with what you said here. Nintendo obviously could have known what they were up against and dealt with it. Which is why I said that, yes, it was an honest mistake on their part. 

How is this an issue in the slightest with gamers? If Nintendo WERE dumb enough to be bossed around into releasing their console earlier than planned then this would make sense. But they wouldn't fall to pressure like that. The release date they set is the date it was releasing, with or without the impatient people who wanted the console, now.

With that said, no, the games aren't being delayed because of customers/gamers. They're being delayed because Nintendo don't know how to pay attention to other people in the business. It's an issue with them not thinking about the future, or paying mind to those who've already gone through this same pain.

I didn't really mean that the games would have come out sooner if it weren't for "gamers", but, had the Wii U released later, said delayed games would have been ready for launch. I understand that it would be unlikely for a company as big as Nintendo to be that swayed by consumers, but you never know.

As for that very last sentence... I don't think many people actually think that way. It's a stereotype; like the CoD Kid and, "No blood, no play." And if a self-proposed gamer does think that way... Well, there's a reason I hate the title, "Gamer."

I'll admit I was exaggerating a bit there, but not too much. There are a couple users here who think the Wii U is on par with PS360.

Thanks for your input! :) I definitely see where you're coming from.

#10 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:04 PM

Yes, the content pipeline is definately the problem. Nobody would be complaining if wii u launched with say, X.

But... Its not so much the fact they are having trouble adjusting to hd development, they know what to do, and are damn good at it.

You need look no farther than the emerging screens of the near photorealistic pikmin 3 in its better looking areas.

Their problem was they vastly under estimated the manpower and time needed to create art assets of Nintendo quality for machines as powerful as wii u. They found out they need twice the human resources as they had originally planned for, and they already had MASSIVE expansions beefing up all ead and est divisions, and tripling the staff of retro and monolith soft (both over 150 personell strong as of now, and giving the latter a brand new building for all the new staff).... And it wasnt close to enough people.

You dont need to look any farther than.... Again, pikmin 3 to see the results of being understaffed for content creation.

I agree that Pikmin looks amazing. Never brought a pikmin game and this is tugging at me hard. I'm not a big RTS guy but this game just looks too good to pass up on. I was thinking of getting splinter cell but I have no faith in Ubi at the moment not spending 60 for a 360 port that doesn't utilize the hardware upgrades Wii U provides.

#11 thechamp80

thechamp80

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

I agree that Pikmin looks amazing. Never brought a pikmin game and this is tugging at me hard. I'm not a big RTS guy but this game just looks too good to pass up on. I was thinking of getting splinter cell but I have no faith in Ubi at the moment not spending 60 for a 360 port that doesn't utilize the hardware upgrades Wii U provides.

So you are not supporting pretty much the only 3rd party that has faith in the Wii U. You're part of the problem lol.

#12 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

So you are not supporting pretty much the only 3rd party that has faith in the Wii U. You're part of the problem lol.

I'm fine with being that but im not going to be treated anyway by a publisher and have to take it. Like i said if it seems they put effort into splinter cell for wii U and actually make use of the hardware they have my money. if not then that money will easily go to pikmin 3.

#13 Envy

Envy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • NNID:WoodwindsRock
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Pokemon, Paper Mario, SSB

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

Super Smash Bros. Melee came out less than a month after the Gamecube's release, and if you ask me that was a megaton of a release. It sure made me want the GCN.

The Wii U has nothing even remotely like that until next year.

-

woodwinds3.jpg

#14 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

Pikmin is a subgenre of rts. It streamlines a lot of the boring stat tracking, and throws in Nintendo quality adventuring and gameplay.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#15 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

Pikmin is a subgenre of rts. It streamlines a lot of the boring stat tracking, and throws in Nintendo quality adventuring and gameplay.

yeah i have played 1 and 2 with the new play controls for Wii and didnt like them... thats why i "WAS" hesitant to get Pikmin 3... but with every gameplay video it makes it so much worth it. graphics look amazing. gameplay looks great artstyle shows Nintedo still has it even though i want a TRUE new IP from them... hopefully Miyamoto doesnt disappoint next year. they have so much potential in the devs but they have to let them out the box and try new things.

#16 ugguy

ugguy

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • NNID:uglyguy

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:16 AM

I played Pikmin 1 with the new play controls and I didn't like it either, fortunately I have the original GameCube version of both games and a black Wii to play them on :P

#17 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:28 AM

I see what you mean. In my opinion, they really haven't launched the console yet, they're merely in testing and getting the install base up.

Hell, they're not even advertising yet. I bet when Pikmin, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., X, DK, and all their other big name games come out, then, they will ramp everything up. It seems as though all those games are going to be coming out in line with, or close to, the same time as the PS4 and Xbone, so that would make sense for them to begin bringing in their heavy hitters then.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#18 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

Advertising.... They haven't really created any awareness about this product.

Communication.... Haven't really provided much in terms of what the value proposition is of the game pad.  I think it's a great controller, but they don't need to convince me.  

Delays in products promised.... 

Don't think the specs are near the issue people make them out to be.  If that's what you are looking for in a gaming system, then this product just isn't for you. That said, I think the system has more power than it gets credit for.  

I see what you mean. In my opinion, they really haven't launched the console yet, they're merely in testing and getting the install base up.

Hell, they're not even advertising yet. I bet when Pikmin, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., X, DK, and all their other big name games come out, then, they will ramp everything up. It seems as though all those games are going to be coming out in line with, or close to, the same time as the PS4 and Xbone, so that would make sense for them to begin bringing in their heavy hitters then.

#19 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:23 AM

I just hope the trend doesn't continue, big bursts of games and then literally months of drought, kinda like the original Wii.

#20 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

I absolutely agree with this. When you pick out all the noteworthy retail games that have been released post launch (NFS U, Lego City, MH3U, Game & Wario). They all feel like games that should have been out at launch. But I think we should be grateful they didn't release at launch, as this would have been the release schedule post launch.

January

Nothing

February

Amazing Spider Man (old port)

March (what would have had NFS, MH3U, and Lego City)

Croods

April

Injustice (lacked DLC)

May

Resident Evil Revelations HD

Lego Batman 2 (year old port)

Sniper Elite V2 (year old port lacking online play and DLC)

Fast and Furious (heard it was critically panned)

June (would have had Game and Wario)

Nothing

So if all the big post launch titles weren't released, we would have only gotten RE: Revelations HD and Injustice as our big games. It's pretty sad to say that it's a good thing a console shouldn't have had more games at launch, but that's what it is now. I actually remember someone from a video stating that the Wii U actually had too many games at launch. And that they should have been spaced out, in which I agree. Maybe if some games post launch were closer to the launch window, we could have had a somewhat decent one/two games a month release schedule until big stuff like Pikmin 3 came around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!