• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowVector

ShadowVector

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:32 AM

So I've been reading about how many were disappointed with news that Nintendo's next Wii U Mario game is Super Mario 3D World instead of Mario Galaxy 3. Personally, I like the way that the new Mario game looks and plays but I too was hoping for a next-gen Mario Galaxy sooner rather than later. But after thinking about it for awhile, I'm glad that Nintendo did not go this route.

After reading about the reasons why Nintendo had to delay many of its big titles, like Pikmin 3, due to a lack of staff and other development resources needed to produce games in HD, I realized how a game as large-scale and detailed as the Mario Galaxy series could not be done for Wii U this early on in its life-cycle, at least not to the standards that Nintendo typically aims for.

And even though Nintendo has the most experience using their own hardware, they can still benefit from having more time understanding the system and developing new tricks to best utilize its features and power and also implement new gameplay ideas and uses for the Gamepad.

So while some may still be disappointed by Nintendo's decision, I think that it was a sound one that will result in a much better experience in the next Mario Galaxy game once it's released. This stands true for most of its other games that they're yet to be released: Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros Wii U, Star Fox and Metroid (because you know they're coming), etc.

So let's have some patience as I'm sure that Nintendo will make it worth our while. :]

Check out my artworks thread here on the forums

Follow me on 120px-Deviantart_logo.png

#2 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:46 AM

Yeah, I know what you mean, would have been better if they showed more variety or more interesting level design, though. What they showed seemed bland to me. I hope the game gets more and more interesting as you go along.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#3 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:55 AM

It's pretty obvious another Galaxy game wouldn't work. They were built from the ground up for the Wiimote. How does that translate to the Gamepad? Yeah, yeah, buttons or just don't use the Gamepad at all, but it just wouldn't work. No, the reason I, my own opinion, despise this "Super Mario 3D World" is because it's practically a glorified HD port of a 3DS game TWO YEARS AGO. It was great on handheld, but a HOME CONSOLE? HELL NO! This is something LESS THAN the Galaxy games. The Wii U needed the next 3D Mario to show off what it can do, what new ideas are there. Heck, I was expecting something ATLEAST similar to Tearaway. Using the Gamepad's touchscreen and other stuff to interact with the level environment, like what the Wiimote did with Galaxy. 3D World was an all around disappointment. /end rant

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:51 AM

lol at people still thinking it's a port.

I don't get how Nintendo always seems to attract the idiots who simply judge their games on the first screenshot.

It'll be a good game, probably, since it's from the same team that you all worshiped when they made galaxy.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:08 AM

I actually would have loved Galaxy on the Wiiu since I felt the visual design of Galaxy were made for HD. Still I find it refreshing that it's not Galaxy because it now tells me that their saving it for last, meaning it's going to take full advantage of the power of a wiiu.

#6 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:12 AM

Super mario 3D world is basically galaxy 3, except with flagpoles rather than stars. Galaxy 2 was just as linear as the Mario 3D series, except it had space physics that made no sense. Oh, and how does a few asteroids count as an entire galaxy? In 3D world at least there will be hidden green stars on every level, which actually makes the games less linear then their galaxy predecessors. In galaxy it was straight to the finish every time, and the platforming was barely present. There was no adventure or exploration. Although 3d world won't either. I think they are both terrible 3D Mario games, but 3D world is going to be better than Galaxy 3 would have been.

I personally wish it was a Mario adventure game like sunshine or SM64, those two game were amazing when compared to galaxy. I hated playing galaxy after those two games, it made me wonder what Nintendo was thinking, although then I saw all the praise it got on the Internet, and I thought it was rediculous. Just tell me, what exactly is so Great about the galaxy games?

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#7 Envy

Envy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • NNID:WoodwindsRock
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Pokemon, Paper Mario, SSB

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:14 AM

I would have been equally disappointed if the Mario had been Super Mario Galaxy 3. Just like Super Mario 3D World it'd be a repeat of a (overused, even more than SM3DL/W) theme. Which is disappointing as all of the first 3D Mario games on a console have had their own theme. And then it'd have the same linear world design that all of the Mario platformers post-Sunshine have had.

So, no Galaxy 3 would not be any better. And if they went on to make it now, it'd only make things much, much worse. At the very, very least the next 3D Mario should have its own theme.

-

woodwinds3.jpg

#8 IvyT

IvyT

Blooper

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • NNID:IvyTamwood
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:39 AM

I've only just now started playing the Galaxy series, and although I'm not terribly disappointed, I do have to say I'm struggling with the controls a little. I mean, the physics idea is pretty inovative, but some of them seem pretty nonsense.

I'm not that excited for 3D World because it doesn't really seem to bring anything new or exciting to the 3D Mario games, but then again I don't think the Galaxy series belongs on the Wii U either. Even though I'm sure it would look absolutely gorgeous in HD, I'd like for Nintendo to get bold again and try something completely new that hasn't been seen on 3D Mario games before; it could be a possible huge system seller for the Wii U too.

978478ba3d3649b2a57100410081a33a-d3aghdp

Now Playing: Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

NNID: IvyTamwood PSN: Regithiel

#9 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:00 AM

I loved Mario Galaxy, but enough is enough.

Personally, i wanted a Mario 64 redone for Wii U. Still, a new style of 3D Mario si also good. And although my first reaction wasn`t  very good, i always felt from the start that the game would be better than anticipated.

Would i would be happier if the new Mario game would be in the line of Mario 64 or Sunshine? Yes, i would. Maybe next time!

#10 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:30 AM

So while some may still be disappointed by Nintendo's decision, I think that it was a sound one that will result in a much better experience in the next Mario Galaxy game once it's released. This stands true for most of its other games that they're yet to be released: Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros Wii U, Star Fox and Metroid (because you know they're coming), etc

We know a Metroid is coming after DKCTB but Miyamoto said he has no innovation for a star fox game, I don't think we will see that game any time soon.

Also i am SOOOO GLAD they didn't make a Galaxy 3... Yet. But having a sequal to their worst 3D mario game (SHUT UP IT'S A OPINION!) doesn't make it better. I'd rather have a brand new game for the Brand new console. Like it has been in the past (N64: SM 64, GCN: SM Sunshine, Wii: Galaxy, 3DS: 3D land) now they kinda ruined it by putting a sequal from the 3DS onto it. It honestly doesn't look like anything new, ya cat suit and invisible pipes but what else??? A lot of people aren't going to be using Co-Op making that a pointless feature for some people. 

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#11 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

I'd be happy if Nintendo waited until they were more familiar with the console before making the really awesome games. But I will be replaying the Galaxy games because I quite enjoyed the gravity engine.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#12 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

Guys. There was never going to be a Galaxy 3. Galaxy 2 was made of scraped ideas, and the third would be pushing it, they said outright they were putting the galaxy series to rest. I'm not that happy with 3D world and I never really play multiplayer. I was really hoping it was going to a Sunshine-2 level game, big open worlds, gorgeous hd tropical environments. 

Stupid Snowmads!

#13 Jeremygts

Jeremygts

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

Im glad they didnt go the Sunshine route. Thats the only Mario game I wont play. Im thinking this Mario will be fun to play with single player or multi. I cant wait to see some of the other levels and some baddies!

#14 Tim

Tim

Hylian

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Fandom:
    Funky Kong, Link, Mario Kart

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

I loved Mario Galaxy, but enough is enough.

Personally, i wanted a Mario 64 redone for Wii U. Still, a new style of 3D Mario si also good. And although my first reaction wasn`t  very good, i always felt from the start that the game would be better than anticipated.

Would i would be happier if the new Mario game would be in the line of Mario 64 or Sunshine? Yes, i would. Maybe next time!

I support the remake and/or sequel of/to Mario 64. That game was a work of art.

28rl4di.png

I think everyone who has a signature picture should shrink it a little. Easier on the eyes.

The way I see it, flying is simple.  You just throw yourself at the ground and miss.

#15 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

So let's have some patience as I'm sure that Nintendo will make it worth our while. :]

And in the meantime we have £300 consoles gathering dust ?

#16 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

I support the remake and/or sequel of/to Mario 64. That game was a work of art.

So many years have passed and you can still enjoy a great game even by today`s standards!

#17 Tim

Tim

Hylian

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Fandom:
    Funky Kong, Link, Mario Kart

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

So many years have passed and you can still enjoy a great game even by today`s standards!

I feel like that's because back then, developers like Nintendo cared more about the storylines and actual gameplay. Nowadays, its all about graphics and the multiplayer experience :(. And yeah, I'm looking at you, CoD.

28rl4di.png

I think everyone who has a signature picture should shrink it a little. Easier on the eyes.

The way I see it, flying is simple.  You just throw yourself at the ground and miss.

#18 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

I feel like that's because back then, developers like Nintendo cared more about the storylines and actual gameplay. Nowadays, its all about graphics and the multiplayer experience :(. And yeah, I'm looking at you, CoD.

It`s true. People care more about what`s less important: graphics and MP - to a certain extent. Not to mention how the reason for success of a console is more about power than the experiences it offers.

Kinda reflects the futility our world shows today.

#19 RETROBLAST

RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • NNID:RetroBlast
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario, Zelda, Ricochet Infinity

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:55 AM

There is something else to consider gang, 2d mario games sell better than 3d mario games ... they are easier for the novice to wrap their heads around ....

here is Miyamoto had to say about it ...

Can we touch on Mario briefly? Super Mario 3D World is a successor to 3D Land. What was it about 3D Land that was a good model for Wii U now?

I think there may an impression that Mario 3D Land did well, so that's why we decided to bring that to Wii U. But, in fact, what we really try to do is look at, "What is the easiest way for people to play the Mario games?" And certainly we have the new Super Mario Bros. series, which is the new sidescrolling games, and those are particularly easy to play for people who are more novice gamers. You've got four-player multiplayer. And then we have games like the Galaxy series.

What we tried to do with Super Mario 3D Land, was try to create a Mario game that was set in a 3D world that fell somewhere between the openness of the Galaxy games and the sidescrolling of the new Super Mario Bros. games to create a 3D Mario game that a wider array of people could play. And we felt that, with Super Mario 3D Land, we managed to achieve that. So, what we wanted to do was extend that broader appealing 3D Mario game to Wii U in a way that allow more people to experience it. That's what we chose for Super Mario 3D World this time. But we still have, obviously, the Galaxy series, and there's a possibility that in the future we may look to explore what else we can do with the Galaxy series. For us, it was really about trying to find the right 3D Mario space in which we're going to allow the widest audience to play.

I'v Been Playing Video Games Since The Days Of Pong & It Looks Like I'll Be Playing Them 'Till The Day I'm Gone !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!