Photo

Nvidia's Next Chip "Project Logan" is apparently more powerful than PS3

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:24 AM

http://www.ign.com/a...nes-and-tablets

It utilizes a mobile Kepler architecture, the same kind that Desktop PC's use

Most importantly, Nvidia says Project Logan is energy-efficient, capable of running at levels within "the mobile power envelope" and even at one-third the wattage of current tablet GPUs, such as the A6X processor found in Apple's iPad.

image.jpg
Dat Graph

image.jpg
They got Ira, a tech demo for the GTX Titan, running on Project Logan

One thing I think they're overseeing, as always, is CPU power, which would be extremely hard to beat the Cell. Also, they're pulling more talk out of their a$$ again, just like they did with the GTX Titan, and how the graphics alone were 3x more powerful than PS4, the ENTIRE PS4. Lolol
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#2 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:44 AM

Pretty fascinating. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#3 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

this is why I have a NVidia graphics card, because they are amazing and I love them :)  I don't think they are pulling crap from their anuses, I just think they are innovative and know how to make a good GPU.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#4 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:57 AM

this is why I have a NVidia graphics card, because they are amazing and I love them :)  I don't think they are pulling crap from their anuses, I just think they are innovative and know how to make a good GPU.

In a way they are, because they're claiming that the chip is more powerful than the ENTIRE PS3, not just the GPU, but CPU, etc. as well, when in actuality, it's just the graphics that are better than the Ps3.

They did the same thing with Titan, saying that the GTX Titan was 3x more powerful than the ENTIRE PS4. Again it's just the GPU. Nvidia just likes to make mismatched claims.
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#5 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:17 AM

Thats pretty awesome. Although besting the rsx isnt really much of an accomplsishment, and they dance around the issue that the performance will scale linearly with power supply. It will most definately run on those low wattages, but not like what they showed off.

Still, pretty dang impressive.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#6 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

i am questioning the how legit this is.

#7 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:59 AM

i am questioning the how legit this is.

Well, it IS Nvidia boasting about there mobile line.... Which they've NEVER delivered on in real world performance.... But, the kepler, well its pretty legit. I mean the real one. This ones obviously stripped down.

But... At least to me, it appears they are reeling in their boasting. There is a reason they chose the ps3 gpu. It might be a little... misleading, with the big title saying its more powerful than the ps3... Really its just comparing the gpu, the rsx.... And more specifically .... Its just comparing gflops.

That being said... I believe it is more powerful than the rsx. The rsx was pretty weak, and relied heavily on the flop power of the cell to draw, transform, and cull a lot of its geometry, which the rsx then textures, lights and provides post op effects.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#8 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

I wonder if they can stick this into a decent Haswell or even Broadwell tablet?

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#9 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

Well, it IS Nvidia boasting about there mobile line.... Which they've NEVER delivered on in real world performance.... But, the kepler, well its pretty legit. I mean the real one. This ones obviously stripped down.

But... At least to me, it appears they are reeling in their boasting. There is a reason they chose the ps3 gpu. It might be a little... misleading, with the big title saying its more powerful than the ps3... Really its just comparing the gpu, the rsx.... And more specifically .... Its just comparing gflops.

That being said... I believe it is more powerful than the rsx. The rsx was pretty weak, and relied heavily on the flop power of the cell to draw, transform, and cull a lot of its geometry, which the rsx then textures, lights and provides post op effects.

Beating the 8800 GTX on 2w of power is amazing-if it holds up. 

I remember using the 8800 GTX Ultra for Crysis when I was 21. If this thing holds up....man I am feeling old, lol. 

#10 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

Many chips work brilliantly with the best of everything in the test lab but when they get put into real world devices sometimes compromises are made including downclocking the speed and using more humble components around the gpu. PS3 RSX was good for its day but the combination of the 360's slightly better GPU and that 10MB of blisteringly fast video memory/cache gave the 360 an easy win there. Only when the cell is utlilised to support the gpu does the ps3 really shine and some games look beyond 360 slightly on ps3. On a mobile device you always have to factor in the battery life. Also nvidia don't do tile based rendering which gives more consistent frame rates. Always look to the minimum frame rates with nvidia mobile gpu's as powervr and the arm mali range are more consistent performers in frame rates even if they can't match the higher peak numbers they just don't drop as much under extreme load.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!