40 replies to this topic

#21 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:10 AM

Copied this from my other thread:

So I just read where SSB WiiU is dropping the story mode?! if so this means I am not gonna buy a WiiU at all! I thought the Brawl Story was Epic! Having all those characters in one story was great! It was the "Avengers" for Nintendo! It seems like the only reason for dropping it is a lashing out toward the customers because some people put the cut scenes on YT! I expected better from Nintendo!

That is an extremely shallow reason for not buying it.

Nintendo is on its way out of the Console Market and will just become a 3rd party publisher if they have a mentality of letting one guy pouting offer a less than stellar product. The selling point of SSB has always been seeing the all the N characters in one game and the more Story they offered the more intriguing it was. To say SSB is just a fighting game is not a winning argument because there are other games that do a better job at being "just a fighting game"

Absolute rubbish. Firstly you're taking this way out of proportion and making a mountain of a mole hill. If Nintendo exits the hardware market like Sega and becomes just a software developer it won't be because of things like this. Also story has never been and never will be an essential part of any fighting games. As for fighting games Smash Bros. may bea different type of fighting game but that doesn't mean it is any less credible then more traditional fighting games.

#22 Indyrams

Indyrams

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:27 AM

This game is never meant to be heavily storyline based because most the characters don't talk much.
So it makes it difficult to bring in a storyline that requires too much interaction.
But I loved Brawls SSE. I was hoping they brought something like that back in.
But they know what their doing so I have faith in the game being incredible.

#23 killianx

killianx

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

@ Game Junkie: Who is being Shallow here? I see a fighting game that can easily be more than "just a fighting game" but seems some are content with just the status quo! Furthermore I see where Nintendo could capitalize on their deep bench of characters but seems they are just blowing it! I am not alone in this opinion either! To the second point, This is exactly what drives businesses to downsize! If you dont give the people want they want they dont buy your product. Doesnt matter how cool you think you are! The talk in the industry is already out there that the big N is likely one more hardware bomb away from just being a 3rd party producer. The WiiU did not sell near enough!

@Indyrams: See thats the whole thing they didnt have to talk much and the story was intriguing and sparked the imagination. A story that can spark the imagination is EPIC! I mean i remember when i saw Pikachu and Samus running down a corridor together, that blew my mind! Why take stuff like that away! The theme song for SSE was epic! 

Trust my I have been an N fan for longer than some of the people on this Forum have been alive! i am not trying to Trash N I am wanting them to save themselves!

#24 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

@ Game Junkie: Who is being Shallow here? I see a fighting game that can easily be more than "just a fighting game" but seems some are content with just the status quo! Furthermore I see where Nintendo could capitalize on their deep bench of characters but seems they are just blowing it! I am not alone in this opinion either! To the second point, This is exactly what drives businesses to downsize! If you dont give the people want they want they dont buy your product. Doesnt matter how cool you think you are! The talk in the industry is already out there that the big N is likely one more hardware bomb away from just being a 3rd party producer. The WiiU did not sell near enough!

Trust my I have been an N fan for longer than some of the people on this Forum have been alive! i am not trying to Trash N I am wanting them to save themselves!

So your saying Smash is the last thing that's keeping Nintendo from pulling a SEGA?

tumblr_m0l4bolMhx1qibz0jo1_500.png

1. Nintendo isn't in any financial trouble, even if the Wii U bombs, Nintendo will be fine.

2. Smash isn't the only system seller coming to the Wii U, we have X, MK8, Shin'en's two unannounced games, and Sonic Lost World. Even DKC and 3D World, two of the least impressive games shown in the E3 Direct are guaranteed to sell some units this holiday.

3. While i did like Subspace, i didn't enjoy it anymore than i enjoy Adventure mode in Melee, which isn't much. People play Smash for mutiplayer, Smash 4 lacking a story mode isn't going to be a dealbreaker.

Edited by big bowsy, 04 August 2013 - 09:20 AM.

#25 killianx

killianx

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

"So your saying Smash is the last thing that's keeping Nintendo from pulling a SEGA?"

No thats not what i said "Genius" you could at least read and understand the posts before you reply! I said another Hardware bomb could push them that way. 

Again your 3rd point is about making "just another fighter game" when i see they could offer more. 

I under stand there is a line up coming it just isnt very deep.

#26 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

@Indyrams: See thats the whole thing they didnt have to talk much and the story was intriguing and sparked the imagination. A story that can spark the imagination is EPIC! I mean i remember when i saw Pikachu and Samus running down a corridor together, that blew my mind! Why take stuff like that away! The theme song for SSE was epic! 

To be honest you're just being paranoid regards Nintendo's future. As for Smash Bros. again you're making a big deal about something that you shouldn't be. Its a fighting at the heart of it and does not need or require a story mode.

#27 killianx

killianx

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:07 AM

So yeah I am not alone in this opinion and as one poster commented "Nintendo is losing touch with its Western Market" I am starting to agree!

http://megagames.com...n=zergnet_78797

#28 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

So yeah I am not alone in this opinion and as one poster commented "Nintendo is losing touch with its Western Market" I am starting to agree!

Whether Nintendo is losing touch with its western market is another issue entirely and has nothing to do with what is being discussed in this thread. This game does not need and should not have a story mode and therefore its not missing or lacking anything by not having it.

#29 killianx

killianx

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:48 AM

Whether Nintendo is losing touch with its western market is another issue entirely and has nothing to do with what is being discussed in this thread. This game does not need and should not have a story mode and therefore its not missing or lacking anything by not having it.

Did you read the article? it was all about this issue! I am sorry but yout opinion on this is not absolute. In fact i would barely say that it is the majority opinion (in the West) as the news of this gets out there more, more people are not cool with it. the movement is growing. People were expecting a story mode on the level of SSE or better. For some it is a deciding factor as whether to ge this game. As a business in entertainment you would think you would want to appeal to large an audience as possible. 

#30 ZombiCarolyn

ZombiCarolyn

Boo

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

I'll take Adventure Mode over SSE any day. SSE wasn't that great, IMO. AM was hectic, fast, and not complicated. For anyone who asks, yes I've beat SSBB's SSE. 

#31 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

I disagree, I thought the best thing about brawl was SSE. It gave it that story appeal that Adventure mode in Melee didn't have. This news, while old, saddens me...

SSE was awesome, I loved the cutscenes... but Brawl's adventure was alright too. Hope there's something like that, or I will be really dissapointed.

No sig.

#32 Ocarina of Time

Ocarina of Time

Spiny

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:16 AM

*reposting comment to this thread*

No story mode? Guess I'll wait a while after release (yet again....) before I go near it and see what's up.

"You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]."

So the decision has been made to not wow anyone at all.  

Nintendo really needs to move to the 21st century and stop being afraid of the internet.  What's next, full game cancellation because lets plays will be posted and it's not rewarding to people who see it outside of the game?

What's going to be different in this game compared to the others?  If there's nothing major added that sets this game apart from the others and is just samey, I'll skip it altogether like Mario 3D world, unless nintendo convince me it's different to 3D land.

#33 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:23 AM

It still amazes me that people actually buy a fighting game for its story. That's like buying Metal Gear Solid for its platforming elements.

#34 killianx

killianx

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:23 AM

http://www.digitaltr...n=zergnet_56858

Still think there is nothing to worry about? N needs to do everything it can to lure customers in! Put a good story mode into SSB!

http://gamewise.co/b...n=zergnet_77645

#35 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:51 AM

http://www.digitaltr...n=zergnet_56858

Still think there is nothing to worry about? N needs to do everything it can to lure customers in! Put a good story mode into SSB!

http://gamewise.co/b...n=zergnet_77645

Are you sure you want to go down this road? I appreciate the effort that you went through, amidst all the opposing opinions, and found support for your argument. Thats more than most...

However, all I see are emotional blogs and unrelated articles.

I have done some preliminary investigation and I can tell you right now....

You... wont be very happy.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#36 BobbyRiddle

BobbyRiddle

Thwomp

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:30 AM

I'm with 3Dude.....you and the one guy on that thread that agrees with you are clearly in the minority.

Edited by BobbyRiddle, 16 August 2013 - 05:33 AM.

Currently playing: AC 3, ZombiU, BLOPS 2, Nintendoland, NSMBU, Nano Assault Neo, Halo 4, Darksiders 2, and Far Cry 3

Wii U ID------BeMore

#37 killianx

killianx

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:41 AM

Its a bad move on N part to deny potential customers what they want for..no logical reason whatsoever. Including the Story mode would not detract from the Multiplayer. Not having the Story mode just ticks a percentage of customers off. The proof will be in the pudding though. We will see how this new SSB sales compares to Brawl. I would bet that it is way less!

Its a bad move on N part to deny potential customers what they want for..no logical reason whatsoever. Including the Story mode would not detract from the Multiplayer. Not having the Story mode just ticks a percentage of customers off. The proof will be in the pudding though. We will see how this new SSB sales compares to Brawl. I would bet that it is way less!

I'm with 3Dude.....you and the one guy on that thread that agrees with you are clearly in the minority.

It does not matter if we are in the Minority! This is not a election! It is business! In business you want to sell the most units of whatever it is you are selling! If the decision not to put in a Solid story mode drops your sales even 10-20 % from the last outing than that is a major fail!

Also I do not think that SSB is "just another fighting game" just about all other fighting games have characters that are basically just fighters whereas SSB has a collection of characters that are adventurers! When you bring together  such characters some of us have an expectation of cool story. Especially coming from the N stable of characters!

#38 BobbyRiddle

BobbyRiddle

Thwomp

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:00 AM

It does not matter if we are in the Minority! This is not a election! It is business! In business you want to sell the most units of whatever it is you are selling! If the decision not to put in a Solid story mode drops your sales even 10-20 % from the last outing than that is a major fail!

Also I do not think that SSB is "just another fighting game" just about all other fighting games have characters that are basically just fighters whereas SSB has a collection of characters that are adventurers! When you bring together  such characters some of us have an expectation of cool story. Especially coming from the N stable of characters!

I don't think that 10-20% of the potential SSB buyers will care about this news, and that is my point.  Also, as a side note I'll bet that this game ships with some kind of great single player mode, and this news will be a distant memory.

Currently playing: AC 3, ZombiU, BLOPS 2, Nintendoland, NSMBU, Nano Assault Neo, Halo 4, Darksiders 2, and Far Cry 3

Wii U ID------BeMore

#39 killianx

killianx

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

I hope yo are right! i hope they change their minds and do something good for Singleplayer or story mode! However as of now thats not the case

Look at these numbers if you think everything is hunky dory:

http://www.vgchartz....o-bros-wii/USA/

http://www.vgchartz....rio-bros-u/USA/

These are sales records i found for New super mario bros Wii and Wii U. the difference in these sales go far beyond my 10-20% prediction. If this is any indication of what we might expect for typical sales for Wii U games than it goes further to prove my point that N need not take any sales or cistomers for granted. N could be doing so much more with there IPs than they are!

#40 BobbyRiddle

BobbyRiddle

Thwomp

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:54 AM

I have pretty much reserved any doom and gloom forecasts for the Wii U until after Xmas.  At that point the new consoles will be coming out and the Wii U will have the makings of a strong exclusive lineup in comparison to the others.  If the Wii U tanks with all of that going for it then I will worry.  Until then my excitement is brimming over at the prospect of getting the full version of The Wonderful 101 in my hands next month.

Also, it is hardly fair to compare those two Mario games because there are 100million Wii's out there right now, and only 4million Wii U's.

Edited by BobbyRiddle, 16 August 2013 - 06:56 AM.

Wii U ID------BeMore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!