• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 erics

erics

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

So, no new games have come out and suddenly sales matter? Before it was "wait until the games" and now it's "they're doomed," even though those anticipated games haven't come out yet.

Some people just need to relax. Come December, Wii U owners are going to be overwhelmed with the amount of quality content available. 

New Super Mario Bros. U, ZombiU, Darksiders II, Lego City Undercover, Little Inferno, New Super Luigi U, Earthbound, Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, The Wonderful 101...

#22 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:21 PM

I totally agree. And anyway, since when has graphics been the biggest selling point of a console? People forget that your average consumer will not be looking at graphics as much as they will be looking at the games, the features, and the price of the console.

Welcome to 90s Sega, where Genesis Does and Blast Processing were all Sega needed to sell their system. Not to mention the Atari Jaguar and Nintendo 64 boasting about their 64 bit processors and the PS3 Cell Processor advertisements. Graphics have been a selling point for systems ever since you were able to see a big difference. From 8 bit to 16 bit to 32 and 64 bit to HD, graphics have always been the first thing people are when a new system is shown off.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#23 wombateer

wombateer

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • NNID:wombateer
  • Fandom:
    Splinter Cell.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:44 AM

I think Keza Macdonald wants the new Wii U2. Which in turn will be marketed by Bono and gang.

#24 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:07 AM

Keza Macdonald's voice is so bland and boring. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#25 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

Welcome to 90s Sega, where Genesis Does and Blast Processing were all Sega needed to sell their system. Not to mention the Atari Jaguar and Nintendo 64 boasting about their 64 bit processors and the PS3 Cell Processor advertisements. Graphics have been a selling point for systems ever since you were able to see a big difference. From 8 bit to 16 bit to 32 and 64 bit to HD, graphics have always been the first thing people are when a new system is shown off.

I'm talking about the average consumer, and the average consumer doesn't really care about "processors". 

I'm not saying people don't look at graphics at all, but Joe Bloggs walking down the street isn't going to say "Hmm I think I'll buy this console because it has 64 bit processors", he probably wont even know what 64 bit processors are. He would most likely compare graphics through gameplay.

The fact that SNES and Wii both sold the most in the two generations you mentioned should show you what consumers care about more. 

#26 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:14 AM

I'm talking about the average consumer, and the average consumer doesn't really care about "processors".

I'm not saying people don't look at graphics at all, but Joe Bloggs walking the street isn't going to say "Hmm I think I'll buy this console because it has 64 bit processors", he probably wont even know what 64 bit processors are. He would most likely compare graphics through gameplay.

The fact that SNES and Wii both sold the most in the two generations you mentioned should show you what consumers care about more.

I'm not saying that graphics are the most important factor; I'm saying that they have been used as a selling point ever since video games had recognizable graphics.

The SNES was more powerful in every way except CPU Clock Speed, which Sega pushed as Blast Processing. It had more available colors as well as colors on screen, better audio, as well as Mode 7 and eventually the use of pre-rendered 3D models.

People didn't know what bits were back then and a lot of people still don't know what they are today. However, one look at Strider on the Genesis compared to Strider on the NES made it clear that the Genesis was better in every technical aspect. It sold itself on the visuals, and it worked.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue

#27 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

And all those systems were last place in their respective generation. So, wasn't a very good selling point, was it?
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#28 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

yes back when graphics mattered, back in those days graphics determined what a console could do, The jump from 8 bit to 16 bit was Incredible and from 16 bit to 64 bit was amazing. from Gen 5 to Gen 6 and Gen 6 to Gen 7 was Great. The gameplay on super mario Galaxy wouldn't have been possible on a N64 because of the power of the console. But the amount of polygons and power a Gen 7 console could do was pretty much the limit, we aren't going to see a giant jump ever again. These next gen consoles aren't going to be as groundbreaking as before, making the specs almost useless seeing as we aren't going to see anything special no matter how much they advertise it. We are going to see games which are just Gen 7 games but slightly more graphical and that's about it. 

In simpler terms, Back then, specs were a big deal, now-days not so much.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#29 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

It's almost like a word processor or spread sheet..... Does office 2013 offer that much more than office 2003? Not really.  IMO, the next Nintendo system will have a smaller game pad, multiple gamepads and will be about 2x as powerful as the Ps4/xbone.....

yes back when graphics mattered, back in those days graphics determined what a console could do, The jump from 8 bit to 16 bit was Incredible and from 16 bit to 64 bit was amazing. from Gen 5 to Gen 6 and Gen 6 to Gen 7 was Great. The gameplay on super mario Galaxy wouldn't have been possible on a N64 because of the power of the console. But the amount of polygons and power a Gen 7 console could do was pretty much the limit, we aren't going to see a giant jump ever again. These next gen consoles aren't going to be as groundbreaking as before, making the specs almost useless seeing as we aren't going to see anything special no matter how much they advertise it. We are going to see games which are just Gen 7 games but slightly more graphical and that's about it. 

#30 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

And all those systems were last place in their respective generation. So, wasn't a very good selling point, was it?

The N64 and Genesis were both second place, the latter of which was very close.

I agree with this statement. He said that graphics were never a selling point when the hardware influenced the N64's name. Graphics won't get better than this gen: it will be them keeping this level od detail while doing much more.

KtOSpy7.jpg

#31 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:48 PM

TheUltimateWaddleDee, on 04 Aug 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:The N64 and Genesis were both second place, the latter of which was very close.

I agree with this statement. He said that graphics were never a selling point when the hardware influenced the N64's name. Graphics won't get better than this gen: it will be them keeping this level od detail while doing much more.

Actually youre wrong, I said it wasn't the biggest selling point of a console. I never said it wasn't a selling point at all.

#32 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:55 AM

Nintendo have a huge number of options but discontinuing the wii u is surely not one of them. 

Nintendo keep making poor decisions and I feel they really need to change the management at the top. They really need to start making good decisions.

Unfortunately good software doesn't always lead to more console sales if it did the Dreamcast would have succeeded as it had amazing software. Its a combination of things (mainly software admittedly) but the console has to be perceived as desirable in itself. The wii u has the stigma of failure attached at the moment.

Nintendo so desperately needed a Mariokart bundle for christmas. If nothing else they should include a disc of game demos with the wii u including mario kart. Saves all that hassle of downloading them. I think they should include mario wii u, nintendoland and as many demos as they can fit on the supplied disc. A few extra colours for the console wouldn't go a miss either.

I hope Nintendo have a really great strategy/push for christmas.

#33 Falconberg

Falconberg

Spiny

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

If you sit down and think "what is the most guaranteed way that Nintendo can lose it's current fanbase without gaining any new potential consumers?" This article answers that question. Jumping to a new console within the next five years would be the best way to ruin your company name and lose even the biggest Nintendo fans.
-falconberg (Nintendo Network ID)

#34 Lunity

Lunity

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

Sounds familiar. Oh yeah...

http://www.ign.com/a...ent-hurting-3ds
http://www.ign.com/a...-fiscal-quarter

You would be pretty naive to think the Wii U would do something similar to the 3DS regarding sales I honestly can't see anyway the Wii U sales will pick up anytime soon even with new games as the people that want a Wii U for these games already have them

#35 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

You would be pretty naive to think the Wii U would do something similar to the 3DS regarding sales I honestly can't see anyway the Wii U sales will pick up anytime soon even with new games as the people that want a Wii U for these games already have them

And you are naive to think that a lot of people who want those games aren't waiting to buy the Wii U until they are released. Also, you are underestimating Nintendo's own franchises.

Edited by Gaymer, 07 August 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#36 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

They might not care, but if they're lead to believe one product can do more than another product (genesis, with her blast processing - apple, with her app store) then that's the product they'll choose.

Kezza's just a British person, they say this kind of stuff all the time.
It's weird to me, the PSV sells in the UK. No idea why.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#37 LaserSWE

LaserSWE

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:43 AM

The trustfund would be completey throwned away if they did so..  Unfortunately I think they have to ride it out and make amends with their next-console instead (as they did with Wii after Gamecube). They need to pick up speed so that they can stand against the "true" new consoles.

#38 BobbyRiddle

BobbyRiddle

Thwomp

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:20 AM

My problem with IGN and their Nintendo coverage is that Keza will write a mindless article like this one which is entirely short sighted.  Then you can hop on over to their site today and see a video in which Rich and Greg discuss why the Wii U matters.  One editor goes off on a doom and gloom tangent while two others applaud the game lineup for the rest of the year and into 2014.  I really wonder what kind of tool bag is running the show over at IGN.

Currently playing: AC 3, ZombiU, BLOPS 2, Nintendoland, NSMBU, Nano Assault Neo, Halo 4, Darksiders 2, and Far Cry 3

Wii U ID------BeMore

#39 LaserSWE

LaserSWE

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:52 AM

My problem with IGN and their Nintendo coverage is that Keza will write a mindless article like this one which is entirely short sighted.  Then you can hop on over to their site today and see a video in which Rich and Greg discuss why the Wii U matters.  One editor goes off on a doom and gloom tangent while two others applaud the game lineup for the rest of the year and into 2014.  I really wonder what kind of tool bag is running the show over at IGN.

You would prefer if they were all negative / all positive?

I think one must be able to see the difference between the platforms current state on the market (with third-party jumping ship, sales being basically non-existent and Nintendo themselves that doesnt seem to understand the situation.. As when they are doing some teasing that ultimately ends up with a "Luigi in Smash Bros!! Yes!! Now please buy our console!" announcements..) and the games themself.. They are certain to be great fun.. IGN and others can and should definetely put some light on that - as they also can AND SHOULD put a light on the current commercial status of the platform itself.

Edited by LaserSWE, 08 August 2013 - 06:53 AM.

#40 BobbyRiddle

BobbyRiddle

Thwomp

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:58 AM

You would prefer if they were all negative / all positive?

I think one must be able to see the difference between the platforms current state on the market (with third-party jumping ship, sales being basically non-existent and Nintendo themselves that doesnt seem to understand the situation.. As when they are doing some teasing that ultimately ends up with a "Luigi in Smash Bros!! Yes!! Now please buy our console!" announcements..) and the games themself.. They are certain to be great fun.. IGN and others can and should definetely put some light on that - as they also can AND SHOULD put a light on the current commercial status of the platform itself.

No, I don't mind the differing opinions.  What I do mind are opinions that are so drastically differing.  I mean Rich literally says in today's video that he would not be surprised if the Wii U wins the console war in the end.  Then you have Keza saying that Nintendo should just consider scrapping the hardware.  I think that is ridiculous considering we are talking about articles on the same gaming site about one week apart.  To me that is very irresponsible on their editor's part.

Currently playing: AC 3, ZombiU, BLOPS 2, Nintendoland, NSMBU, Nano Assault Neo, Halo 4, Darksiders 2, and Far Cry 3

Wii U ID------BeMore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!