Photo

Who buys a Nintendo console for third party multiplats, anyways?

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

Poll: Who buys a Nintendo console for third party multiplats, anyways? (73 member(s) have cast votes)

What games do you usually buy?

1. Virtually only Nintendo games (2 votes [2.74%])

Percentage of vote: 2.74%

2. Nintendo games and some exclusives (8 votes [10.96%])

Percentage of vote: 10.96%

3. Nintendo games, exclusives and some multiplatform games (34 votes [46.58%])

Percentage of vote: 46.58%

4. I buy them with the intention of playing all games on the same console (17 votes [23.29%])

Percentage of vote: 23.29%

5. I have multple consoles for playing different games (12 votes [16.44%])

Percentage of vote: 16.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 nbond3040

nbond3040

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Fandom:
    Code Geass,Minecraft

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

And whose fault is it for sitting on their ass and not releasing product which could have helped raise the install base? Oh, right, 3rd parties. If you want sales, if you want something to grow, YOU HAVE TO MAKE AN EFFORT. It is NEVER delivered to you on a silver platter.

And another thing, when the HELL did companies start caring so much about power? The PS1 was dead last in the the power department, same thing with the PS2 (the original XBox for instance was several times more powerful than the PS2), and the 360 wasn't on the same level as the PS3 and yet 3rd parties happily gave that preferential treatment for the initial 7th gen years. And I don't even need to explain the royal asskickings that Nintendo's handheld division gave each of its competitors. It used to be that developers just worked with something regardless of processing power, so where the HELL did this sudden hunger for power come from?

Nothing about the actions of 3rd parties makes any sense to me. The only conclusion I can come to for their sudden stupidity and change in priorities is that they've all been huffing paint for the past few years.

Its Nintendos fault because they expect every 3rd party developer to want the WiiU succeed but in reality they don't care all company's care about is the money and you're right devs don't care about graphics they care about making a profit and what could devs do on the PS2, they could make a huge profit because of the PS2 had a huge Install base and the thing is that the Wii was so far behind the competition and so is the WiiU with the ps4 having 4x the ram and the xbox having 5x the ram so even if Nintendo gave them the money it might not even be possible to put the game on the console for ex: there is no possible way Mass Effect 3 would run on the original Wii also have you not noticed that 3rd party devs hate Nintendo so why would devs want to put there game on the WiiU,made by a company they hate and also make no profit 

#42 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/

this is a list of all the highest selling games of all time and look at how Nintendo owns the first 15 slots on that list. Also Mario Galaxy is the highest rated exclusive of all time ever there is no exclusive rated higher than it. I do agree with you on the same old game new graphics thing though

you can take eight games out of that fifteen because they are on DS, GB, NES etc just Nintendo have been around longer than Playstation or Xbox, there is a hell of a lot of sequels in the Nintendo list to, Nintendo consoles over the years have been losing the depth & range of games on the platform.

#43 nbond3040

nbond3040

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Fandom:
    Code Geass,Minecraft

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

you can take eight games out of that fifteen because they are on DS, GB, NES etc just Nintendo have been around longer than Playstation or Xbox, there is a hell of a lot of sequels in the Nintendo list to, Nintendo consoles over the years have been losing the depth & range of games on the platform.

"GTA 5 will be the biggest selling game of the year no doubt followed by CoD, why don't Nintendo make games that appeal to this huge & wide audience ?"

-alan666

your point being that Nintendo games don't sale as good as Gta or Cod,at least thats what I got from it, and I give you a list of the top selling games of all time containing mostly Nintendo games also Nintendo should make more no IP's I agree with you but you moved the goal post

#44 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

"GTA 5 will be the biggest selling game of the year no doubt followed by CoD, why don't Nintendo make games that appeal to this huge & wide audience ?"

-alan666

your point being that Nintendo games don't sale as good as Gta or Cod,at least thats what I got from it, and I give you a list of the top selling games of all time containing mostly Nintendo games also Nintendo should make more no IP's I agree with you but you moved the goal post

there is a bigger buzz around GTA V than 101 or Zelda, thats what i am saying.

people don't have the money to throw about on all the consoles, the PS4 & X1 will have a broader range of games like the X360 & PS3 did.

Nintendo consoles, get a Mario, Zelda, Kart, Metriod, Pikmin & a couple of others always on each Nintendo system, they are all sequels with better graphics or a different way to control them, but in essence they are the same thing, NSMBU is no different to Super Mario Bros on the NES, the number of games for the WiiU is tiny it makes little difference if they are all excellent, where there is only twenty games on the system in it's life when the X1 & PS4 have thousands, ok some of them might be rubbish games but it gives people a much bigger range of games & genres to choose from.

Edited by alan666, 08 August 2013 - 03:19 PM.

#45 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

Elder Scrolls 4 Gears of War

Neither of those are exclusives. And oblivion? on consoles? Ugh. elder scrolls does not belong on consoles.

Though I give credit to gow as at least a year timed exclusive before heading to pc. But lets face facts. "let's not pretend that we're wallowing in the future of entertainment. What we have here is an extremely competent action game that's as polished and refined as it could be, and is therefore very enjoyable. . But if Epic had applied the same widescreen scope and ambition to the gameplay as it did to the engine we'd be much more excited than we are."

Now compare it to what the ps2 had by then.

Dark cloud, dark cloud 2(chronicle), Silent hill 2, ico, jak and daxter, red faction, time splitters, grand theft auto 3 (the first gta that was actually, well, whats known as gta, mind blowing revolutionary change in gameplay enabled by the new engine)

This list can go on for a looooonnngggg time, it literally hasnt even gotten started.

The multiplat homeginization has severely devalued the console gaming experience. Different consoles should ALL have mostly different libraries, not just nintendo.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#46 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

Neither of those are exclusives. And oblivion? on consoles? Ugh. elder scrolls does not belong on consoles.

Though I give credit to gow as at least a year timed exclusive before heading to pc. But lets face facts. "let's not pretend that we're wallowing in the future of entertainment. What we have here is an extremely competent action game that's as polished and refined as it could be, and is therefore very enjoyable. . But if Epic had applied the same widescreen scope and ambition to the gameplay as it did to the engine we'd be much more excited than we are."

Dark cloud, dark cloud 2(chronicle), Silent hill 2, ico, jak and daxter, red faction, time splitters, grand theft auto 3 (the first gta that was actually, well, whats known as gta, mind blowing revolutionary change in gameplay enabled by the new engine)

This list can go on for a looooonnngggg time, it literally hasnt even gotten started.

The multiplat homeginization has severely devalued the console gaming experience. Different consoles should ALL have mostly different libraries, not just nintendo.

How many people can afford to spend £900 on three different consoles ?

#47 nbond3040

nbond3040

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Fandom:
    Code Geass,Minecraft

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

I don't know I think once the first reveal of WiiU Zelda comes out I think there will be more hype over that especially because they stated they wanted to change up the Zelda formula but yeah 101 basically no one is talking about it

Edited by nbond3040, 08 August 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#48 Aiddon

Aiddon

Blooper

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

Though let's face it, devs have pretty much shot themselves in the feet by letting budgets spiral out of control, thus why making exclusives terrifies them and thus why they've become so risk averse. And again, the reason I can't sympathize with these guys is because they could rectify these mistakes in a second by scaling budgets back, stop making stuff that's ONLY M-Rated, cater to other niches that have been starved, make more stuff for handhelds, and generally just stop making such bad business decisions. And YET, they keep making these mistakes and blaming everyone else, whether it be console makers or consumers.

#49 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

Everyone. Simply not all at once or all at launch. My school house rock parody covered this.

But you are asking the wrong question, this is the message the publishers want to brainwash into you.

What you should be asking is, is there any possible way enough unique value can be provided for each console to make that 900 dollar (even though it wont be anywhere near that since we wont buy all 3 at launch) investment for the next decade worth it for each individual system?

There used to be. There can be again.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#50 Aiddon

Aiddon

Blooper

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

Everyone. Simply not all at once or all at launch. My school house rock parody covered this.

But you are asking the wrong question, this is the message the publishers want to brainwash into you.

What you should be asking is, is there any possible way enough unique value can be provided for each console to make that 900 dollar (even though it wont be anywhere near that since we wont buy all 3 at launch) investment for the next decade worth it for each individual system?

There used to be. There can be again.

That and they could stop making systems COST $400+ in the first place. Seriously, they need to start keeping costs down by making things more efficient, especially with diminishing returns hitting and budgets becoming so inflated.

#51 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

Nintendo needs those mainstream 3rd party games, that's all.

Good versions of NBA, COD, GTA, MADDEN, FIFA, and BATTLEFIELD might help

#52 Ecorsbie

Ecorsbie

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

I would have to say its half and half.  I purchase about same amount of each, however I tend to see myself playing more of the first party games.   People that are not gamers typically know who Mario and Luigi are...with that said  I always have been a fan of anything Mario or Luigi.  Typically the third party games i purcahse are sports games. 

#53 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:20 AM

Name one generation defining exclusive the PS360 had at the same point in their lifespan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lair_(video_game)
trollface.png

they will be a tiny drop in the very large bucket compared to the awesome console exclusives (3rd party or otherwise) on the ps2/xbox, which is the point that started this.

Take off the rose-coloured glasses.
The graphics would be much worse, the controls would be beyond clunky, the dialouge would be far from ideal, and the cinematics would not be up to scratch.
Or are you not comparing the games of 90 years ago in a level setting with those of today? Nostalgia makes everything better.

Gaming is a luxury.

people don't have the money to throw about on all the consoles, the PS4 & X1 will have a broader range of games like the X360 & PS3 did.

Nintendo consoles, get a Mario, Zelda, Kart, Metriod, Pikmin & a couple of others always on each Nintendo system, they are all sequels with better graphics or a different way to control them, but in essence they are the same thing, NSMBU is no different to Super Mario Bros on the NES, the number of games for the WiiU is tiny it makes little difference if they are all excellent, where there is only twenty games on the system in it's life when the X1 & PS4 have thousands, ok some of them might be rubbish games but it gives people a much bigger range of games & genres to choose from.

A broader range indeed.
A couple jrpgs', a few rpg's and a lot of fps's. Throw in 1 or 2 adevnture games. Done.

I think Nintendo does a better job at providing a wider range of game genres.If you just mean a wider range of FPS games to choose from, you'd be right.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#54 wombateer

wombateer

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • NNID:wombateer
  • Fandom:
    Splinter Cell.

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:31 AM

Nintendo needs those mainstream 3rd party games, that's all.

Good versions of NBA, COD, GTA, MADDEN, FIFA, and BATTLEFIELD might help

If COD does well this year on Wii U, it might give Activision incentive to bring Destiny to Wii U, and I would love to see BF4 on Wii U and see what the GamePad brings in commander mode. 

#55 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:17 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lair_(video_game)
trollface.png

Take off the rose-coloured glasses.
The graphics would be much worse, the controls would be beyond clunky, the dialouge would be far from ideal, and the cinematics would not be up to scratch.
Or are you not comparing the games of 90 years ago in a level setting with those of today? Nostalgia makes everything better.

1. It sounds like you have been thouroghly brainwashed by media marketing. Graphics, yes they would take a hit. and cg cutscenes would be gone (good riddance) and so would unnecessary expenditures like vo, you might end up needing to read (can only be good judging by the reading comprehension ability demonstrated by the newer generations).

But gameplay and controls would be fine. Theyd likely be better as they would be pretty much the only focus. After all, that was the very gen that EVERY SINGLE GAME OF THE PS360 GEN GAME MECHANICS ARE FOUNDED ON. This gen has LITERALLY done NOTHING NEW, aside from a handful of wii games, and half arsed move and kinect abortions.

Of course these things would happen, thats the way it SHOULD be. NOT EVERY GAME IS MEANT TO BE A AAA EPIC.

The large majority of games should be b or c budget games, and then the best of those would rise to the top and recieve a-aaa sequels.

Games chosen by the consumer would dictate what would be a AAA franchise to publishers.

Not publishers telling brainwashed yokels what is good and what to buy. There are LITERALLY hundreds of thousands of gamers who have been brainwashed into thinking 'AAA' is a games quality, rather than its marketing/production budget.

AAA experiences no longer being the norm means they are once again special, and no longer shallow and devalued.

Now that publishers arent trying to turn EVERY SINGLE GAME into a vulgarly overbloated budget aaa game, they can actually afford to TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT and see if people like it.

And if they do, they can green light a sequel FOR A AAA GAME THAT IS FRESH AND ORIGINAL.

So yes. I know EXACTLY what would happen. In fact, its exactly what im counting on.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#56 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:31 AM

1. It sounds like you have been thouroghly brainwashed by media marketing. Graphics, yes they would take a hit. and cg cutscenes would be gone (good riddance) and so would unnecessary expenditures like vo, you might end up needing to read (can only be good judging by the reading comprehension ability demonstrated by the newer generations).

So, what you're saying is... I'm right?
The game wouldn't match the standards of today's games.
Glad we can agree that you're using nostalgia to justify your claims that no game this generation is as good as when you were a child, and had to be far more careful on what you would buy or rent due to not having a job.

also, reading sucks.

But gameplay and controls would be fine. Theyd likely be better as they would be pretty much the only focus. After all, that was the very gen that EVERY SINGLE GAME OF THE PS360 GEN GAME MECHANICS ARE FOUNDED ON. This gen has LITERALLY done NOTHING NEW, aside from a handful of wii games, and half arsed move and kinect abortions.

You seem to be lumping all the fps games like cod and bf into the pile and it's skewing your results.
The gameplay can be sound and nothing new, tomb raider had pretty good gameplay, but it's nothing new.
Mario is nothing new, but it's got some of the best controls and gameplay I've ever enjoyed.

Some complaints about ps2/xbox-1 generation:
in racing games, ghosting was still common practise, where you'd overtake everyone and be 9001 miles ahead, and still they'd overtake you as soon as you made a single mistake.
That's pretty much done away with now.
hitboxes in fps' like armoured core, halo, etc. were often infuriating.

That's what I've got off the top of my head.
online multiplayer has spawned a whole new genre of games, for good or bad.

Of course these things would happen, thats the wat it SHOULD be. NOT EVERY GAME IS MEANT TO BE A AAA EPIC.

The large majority of games should be b or c budget games, and then the best of those would rise to the top and recieve a-aaa sequels.

Games chosen by the consumer would dictate what would be a AAA franchise to publishers.

Not publishers telling brainwashed yokels what is good and what to buy. There are LITERALLY hundreds of thousands of gamers who have been brainwashed into thinking 'AAA' is a games quality, rather than its marketing budget.

AAA experiences no longer being the norm means they are once again special, and no longer shallow and devalued.

Now that publishers arent trying to turn EVERY SINGLE GAME into a vulgarly overbloated budget aaa game, they can actually afford to TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT and see if people like it.

And if they do, they can green light a sequel FOR A AAA GAME THAT IS FRESH AND ORIGINAL.

So yes. I know EXACTLY what would happen. In fact, its exactly what im counting on.

Like bayonetta 2

I mainly buy indie games
I usually read a synopsis or watch a video of gameplay rather than let the game's budget decide what I should buy.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#57 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:42 AM

So, what you're saying is... I'm right?The game wouldn't match the standards of today's games.Glad we can agree that you're using nostalgia to justify your claims that no game this generation is as good as when you were a child, and had to be far more careful on what you would buy or rent due to not having a job

First, none of the things you keep harping on have anything to do with being a videogame. In fact, when they take place you might as well put the controller down. Im not saying they have no value, but the vulgar saturation of them in the market has severely depreciated said value. Especially when that value is always present when far more important core fundamentals have atrophied.

Second, Im not talking about when I was a child, Im talking about just one generation ago. I personally believe gaming has by and large been getting better and better. Even when it suffers a graphical downgrade, like the nes reboot after the crash, fresh new gameplay carried it forward.

The games that existed when I was a child sucked. I will always revere them as landmarks, milestones. But nothing more. The games by and large suck now, and at best, are as amusing as mobile games, but much worse looking (missile command for example).

You are talking to the guy who constantly puts nostalgia champ oot at the bottom of the zelda lists (its not nostalgia to me, as far as im concerned anything 3d is pretty recent) with the only things lower being the original nes games.

You are talking to the guy who cant stand pokemon because it hasnt changed enough.

You are talking to the guy who constantly ruins ffvii love sessions (sorry guys, I yam what i yam.)

Nostalgia really isnt a factor here. The ps2 gen is nowhere NEAR old enough to be nostalgic. Its pretty recent to me.

And that generation makes this one look like crap. Factory line assembled homogenous crap.

also, reading sucks.

You just made Jordie Laforge cry.

On a serious note, I had a college grade reading level buy the time I was in the fourth grade. I think I can attribute that mostly to games like ff6 and chrono trigger.

You seem to be lumping all the fps games like cod and bf into the pile and it's skewing your results.The gameplay can be sound and nothing new, tomb raider had pretty good gameplay, but it's nothing new.Mario is nothing new, but it's got some of the best controls and gameplay I've ever enjoyed.Some complaints about ps2/xbox-1 generation:in racing games, ghosting was still common practise, where you'd overtake everyone and be 9001 miles ahead, and still they'd overtake you as soon as you made a single mistake.That's pretty much done away with now.hitboxes in fps' like armoured core, halo, etc. were often infuriating.That's what I've got off the top of my head.online multiplayer has spawned a whole new genre of games, for good or bad.Like bayonetta 2I mainly buy indie gamesI usually read a synopsis or watch a video of gameplay rather than let the game's budget decide what I should buy.

And im not just talking about fps's we have 4 fricking assassins creeds, 3 freaking uncharteds, (and a portable) and all their little me to clones all come from the same ps2 era source . They are all game design rips of the prince of persia 3d reboot with small tweaks.
It was already getting old the first time I played them. Except the ridiculous amount of money spent on vo and cutscenes. Which have nothing to do with being a game.

And im not saying there is nothing this gen, even among multiplats. i said my 360/ps3 library was smaller not non existant.

im talking about oversaturation and the devaluation that results. Yes there will always be room for good old familiar experiences, every once in a while, not all the time, which is my personal problem with nsmb (talking to the wrong guy about that series) or tossing out the brands identity, not to forge a new unique one, but to ape the factory line status quo, like tomb raider.

Although I agree with you on indies. the current model is unsustainable. Isnt that right thq? A lot of these incumbents will be following them if they dont change.

The indies will take their place with the good old proven sustainable business model that had kept gaming moving forward before it was abandoned and we began to stagnate. (all big name publishers of today used to be independant studios. Indie EA was amazing for its time. Theres a reason they no longer call themselves electronic arts.)

New experiences will begin again, and those that are chosen by the consumer will move on to AAA production.

Its only a matter of time. Im simply waiting for the festering cancer ridden remains of the corpse gods to finally die

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#58 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

Wasn't final fantasy 6, the sixth game in that series?

Ass creed etc. are just a handful of games from a list of thousands released yearly.
Were you one of those people who said the Wii was rainbow because it had some "shovelware" on it?

There's never been big Hollywood style industry mentality in gaming before the last gen, it's like summer movies.
Gaming was niche, now there's money in it. blame the PS2.
It's a big circle jerk. They see there's profit if they make it appeal to the lowest common denominator, they advertise, everyone sees the advertisements and thinks that's what they should be interested in, because most gamers are children looking to belong somewhere, then journalists catch on and hammer it home more, leading to more money for the makers and more advertisements, cycle that for a few years.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#59 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

I bought a lot of games 30%-50% off.

#60 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

Different consoles should ALL have mostly different libraries, not just nintendo.

It would be great if gaming went back to that, where every console had different games and even when two consoles had the same game they were slightly different versions. It would make things a lot more exciting.

Sadly I doubt that will ever happen.

Edited by Hunter, 09 August 2013 - 10:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!