Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

The mayor who banned trans fats and tried to kill large sugary drinks has turned his attention to electronic cigarettes, those pen-shaped devices that are supposedly a safer way to get your nicotine fix. The city's Health Committee is considering several proposed ordinances related to cigarettes, including one that would classify e-cigarettes as tobacco products, according to a leaked copy of those proposals obtained by the Consumer Advocates for Smoke-Free Alternatives Association.

The proposals, via CASAA, would:

• Redefine "tobacco products" under New York City law to include e-cigarettes and related components, parts, and accessories
• Ban the display of e-cigarettes and smokeless tobacco in retail stores
• Ban the sale of e-cigarettes or e-liquid in flavors other than tobacco, menthol, mint and wintergreen in areas other than an age-restricted "tobacco bar." New York City law prohibits "tobacco bars" that were not open in 2001, and thus even an e-cigarette store in New York City would be prohibited from selling flavored e-cigarettes!
• Mandate that e-cigarette products and parts, components, and accessories only be sold in their original packaging [CASAA]

The battery-powered cigarettes typically use liquid cartridges containing nicotine and some other chemicals. They do not, however, contain tobacco, so they technically fall outside the laws that regulate traditional cigarettes. Would-be smokers are therefore allowed to "light up" in city establishments, like bars, confounding bouncers and patrons who often mistake an e-cig's small cloud of vapor for the real thing.

The proposals under consideration, critics say, would effectively outlaw e-cigarettes by regulating them into extinction.

"This is a de facto ban on electronic cigarettes," Dr. Michael Siegel, a professor at the Boston University School of Public Health, tells Gothamist. "Pretty much all electronic cigarettes are flavored; they're essentially flavored products. You're basically telling a bunch of ex-smokers to go back to cigarettes."

Across the country, California's legislature is considering similar legislation that would treat e-cigarettes like other tobacco products.

Yet whether e-cigarettes are actually safer than the real thing is still up for debate.

The Food and Drug Administration issued a warning about the products back in 2009, saying some samples contained ingredients found in anti-freeze. The agency added that the products were not approved by the FDA, and could not be deemed safe without further testing. Furthermore, critics say e-cigarettes serve no purpose but to perpetuate nicotine addiction.

A more recent Drexel University study released this month, however, concluded that the supplementary chemicals in e-cigarettes were not harmful to users or bystanders.

http://news.yahoo.co...-154000941.html

I'm fine with this.  I hate anything smoke-related. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

http://news.yahoo.co...-154000941.html

I'm fine with this.  I hate anything smoke-related. 

But it's hardly smoke related. The only relation is nicotine since the rest is pretty much just vapour. 

The problem with this is that e-cigarettes have been shown to help smokers cut down on or quit real cigarettes. I know several people who have quit smoking thanks to e-cigs.

Basically this is banning a solution to a real problem. The only reason the government claim these things may be "unsafe" is because they want to put tax on them since they are becoming increasingly popular.

Edited by Hunter, 10 August 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#3 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:14 AM

POPULAR

...What?  Why in the hell would you do this?  I'm fine with banning smoking in certain places, but why ban something that is used to help people get over their addiction?

My dad had to go back to smoking just so he could quit drinking at one point (which he was able to stop again).  Maybe he didn't use e-cigs, he used patches, but still...  Smoking is not some easy thing that you can just quit and never go back to.

And before anyone starts pointing fingers at the sides of politics, this is not an issue of that.  This is an issue of stupidity in the entire system.

#4 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

#NewYork

#5 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

If they ban electronic cigars won't people go back to regular ones?... Which would lead to higher death counts?..... America.

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#6 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

If they ban electronic cigars won't people go back to regular ones?... Which would lead to higher death counts?..... America.

Face reality already, the government WANT people to die to lower the population so they don't lose money and go into another recession ever again (it's bound to happen soon). 

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#7 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

This is New York. If they manage to ban electric ciggarette they'll push to ban regular ones.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#8 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

Face reality already, the government WANT people to die to lower the population so they don't lose money and go into another recession ever again (it's bound to happen soon). 

...... Selfish bastards.

This is New York. If they manage to ban electric ciggarette they'll push to ban regular ones.

If they ban regular ones as well people will end up moving to other cities, or like 90% of the city will be fined...

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#9 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

Stupid to ban these. I hate smoking but I see this as a way to cut down on the real hard smoke of normal cigs.
Just keep the same rules of normal cigarettes and apply them to the electronic ones.
If anything they should ban normal cig in the whole world but tht wouldn't work.

Funny tho if you watch the onion movie it has some stuff about smoking I. Which is funny.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#10 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

That would never happen. No country or city would ever try to ban something which they gain so much profit from. 

Even if they did do it, it would never work anyway.

Edited by Hunter, 10 August 2013 - 11:07 AM.

#11 stardust

stardust

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

NYC is terrible.  Been there

#12 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

Is an e-cig even a real cig to begin with? Unfortunately I'm a bit ignorant on this topic, but judging by these replies, they're more or less better and help people get over their addiction. Why ban the solution to the problem?

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#13 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

e-cigs are only dangerous to the person using them.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#14 AdmiralClassy

AdmiralClassy

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • NNID:AdmiralClassy
  • Fandom:
    Dragon ball Z, Nintendo, One Piece

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

Well as long as they don't ban em where I live.

If I was ever gonna smoke I'd use the electric cigs.

They've helped my brother get off the real stuff so they're good in my eyes

Shing Shong For Smash 4!

Honk For Ponk!

NNid AdmiralClassy
Psn AdmiralClassy

Steam AdmiralClassy

#15 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

They should definitely not be "banned" except maybe the use in public areas where other cigs are banned. They're not really a nuisance to breathe because it's mostly water vapor so it has little to no scent, but I understand the simplicity on universal banning, and the concern that even the less deadly vapor still may be harmful to 2nd hand smokers. My dad is currently in the process of using ecigs to quit smoking now that he's quit drinking. He's coughing a lot less because it's mainly just water, flavor, and nicotine. Because of the lack of smell and harmful substances, I can be in the same room now while he gets his nicotine fix without potentially having an asthma attack. While it may still not be healthy to inhale nicotine, steam, and the "other chemicals" daily, you gotta admit it's a lot better than the alternative...

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!