Photo

Mysterious Pokemon Screenshots Shown At Pokemon Game Show - New Wii U Game?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

That's not cgi. If it is, it needs texture time and more polygons on the bulbous portion of the tail on the foremost Pokemon.

That's a real time render.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say its coming to wii u.

The character models are reminiscent of mk8. The background is pretty nice and you can tell its designed as a fighting stage. With he open foreground and background elements perfectly placed.

And this looks about the level of graphics I expect from a properly designed wii u game.

If true, this would be a killer app.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 17 August 2013 - 12:08 PM.

#22 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

I too think it`s a Wii U game.

Don`t know what the difference is between all console Pokémon games - thought they were all the same, to be honest - but this will most likely be another game like those on Wii, GC, N64 (?).

Would be great to see online battles!

#23 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

There really isn't a reason for a Pokemon Stadium/Battle Revolution game, as the big thing for those games was seeing your Pokemon in 3D Battling (I'm not sure what else it had besides minigames, as I never played them). I would prefer eithet an MMO-esque game or sonething like Colloseum/XD.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#24 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:12 PM

That's not cgi. If it is, it needs texture time and more polygons on the bulbous portion of the tail on the foremost Pokemon.

That's a real time render.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say its coming to wii u.

The character models are reminiscent of mk8. The background is pretty nice and you can tell its designed as a fighting stage. With he open foreground and background elements perfectly placed.

And this looks about the level of graphics I expect from a properly designed wii u game.

If true, this would be a killer app.

If you're referring to me, I'm using CGI in the broadest terms of computer generated imagery. ;P Lucario's tail isn't bulbous btw. If you squint you can see his tail curling.

lucario.jpg

I too think it`s a Wii U game.

Don`t know what the difference is between all console Pokémon games - thought they were all the same, to be honest - but this will most likely be another game like those on Wii, GC, N64 (?).

Would be great to see online battles!

Stadium and Pokemon Battle Revolution are basically just games to battle with 3D models pokemon using either your own from the handhelds or presets. PBR got rid of Stadium's mini games and extra features, but added online battling. Colosseum/XD are RPGs with a developed character and different plot, instead of the self insert character and Pokemon Champion story of the handhelds. For example, in Colosseum you steal pokemon from the bad guys and try to end their plot to corrupt pokemon.

Posted Image

#25 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

People thought the background was real? Really?

Well, its not. Polygons and repeated textures give that away.

Also, real life doesnt have hologram fences that form a fighting ring.

It may be pre-rendered cgi, but i would expect better than this, also, it seems rather unnecessary.

The action is clearly relegated to a tiny arena, designated by hologram barriers. The camera is never going to get close to those backgrounds, and nothing needs to be rendered beyond whats immediaty visible which is probably why it looks so good. with such tiny overhead its probably not taxing wii u at all.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#26 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

Eh... It's obviously a fake background when you look at the bigger image without the huge amounts of screen glare, but the original video that popped up had a huge amount of glare and "bloom" from improper balance while recording off screen, as well as a smaller resolution... And was only on screen for a couple seconds, along with artificial video corruption. It's understandable to assume the worst and think it's some form of horrible AR app before scrutinizing still frames. :P

People thought the background was real? Really?

Well, its not. Polygons and repeated textures give that away.

Also, real life doesnt have hologram fences that form a fighting ring.

It may be pre-rendered cgi, but i would expect better than this, also, it seems rather unnecessary.

The action is clearly relegated to a tiny arena, designated by hologram barriers. The camera is never going to get close to those backgrounds, and nothing needs to be rendered beyond whats immediaty visible which is probably why it looks so good. with such tiny overhead its probably not taxing wii u at all.

Posted Image

#27 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

Stadium and Pokemon Battle Revolution are basically just games to battle with 3D models pokemon using either your own from the handhelds or presets. PBR got rid of Stadium's mini games and extra features, but added online battling. Colosseum/XD are RPGs with a developed character and different plot, instead of the self insert character and Pokemon Champion story of the handhelds. For example, in Colosseum you steal pokemon from the bad guys and try to end their plot to corrupt pokemon.

I think i finally understand all the love for the home console games.

So exactly what is the difference from the handheld games and Colosseum?

#28 TheDoritoKing

TheDoritoKing

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • NNID:Sir-Homsar

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

People are getting there hopes up too high, this is oviosly new version of the Pokedex 3D app on 3DS.

I agree, the background does look too realistic for a Wii U game.

Huh, that's around PS3-level looking graphics to me, the Wii U could probably pull it off. 

#29 namkotje

namkotje

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

Huh, that's around PS3-level looking graphics to me, the Wii U could probably pull it off. 

lol...

needsthisfinal2_zps12b5fb7d.gif

#30 coolsarahkry

coolsarahkry

Blooper

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Avatar:TLA, Glee

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

Obviously the graphics are too good for 3ds. I'm hoping it's a good wii u game. I really like the graphic style, it looks beautiful.

Posted Imageby cerberuz

#31 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

So exactly what is the difference from the handheld games and Colosseum?

In Colloseum, you don't go around catching Wild Pokemon amd collecting Gym Badges. When you progress through the story, you encounter trainers with Shadow Pokemon. You catch theirs and try to purify them by battling with them. There are no random battles, you use a world map to get to different areas, you start with Espion and Umbrion, and all battles are double battles.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#32 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

If you're referring to me, I'm using CGI in the broadest terms of computer generated imagery. ;P Lucario's tail isn't bulbous btw. If you squint you can see his tail curling.
lucario.jpg

Cgi is usually used to describe non- real time graphics that are not interactive. These graphics don't look like that.

And the end of the tail looks thicker than the rest.

I'm not a Pokemon person at all. So I don't know the characters (other than the ubiquitous pikachu).

But you can see the individual polygons in the clearer shot.

The way the models are textured as well is very much a giveaway.

It may be just a target render. But it looks like wii u graphics.

In other words a fighting game with relatively small arenas/stages. Which is exactly what this looks like.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 17 August 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#33 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

I saw this early and first thought was a Pokemon fighting game lol.
But idk hopefully it would be something great and not just something tack together.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#34 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

So exactly what is the difference from the handheld games and Colosseum?

If you've never played any pokemon games before...

Spoiler

In Colosseum and XD... It was described pretty well. No random pokemon battles, no quest to become the Champion. It's a completely unique story. It's still revolved around stopping gangs so far, but because it's the main plot, it's much more developed. They take place in different regions with new characters. Um... Sorry, I suck at explaining haha. They just take the franchise in a completely different route than normal.

Cgi is usually used to describe non- real time graphics that are not interactive. These graphics don't look like that.

And the end of the tail looks thicker than the rest.

In other words a fighting game with relatively small arenas/stages. Which is exactly what this looks like. 

I admit I may have been a little vague because CGI has a more slang meaning when referring to games. But by context I meant computer graphics VS a real life background. Because Augmented Reality uses real life backgrounds. :) I agree, they don't look like cinematics, they do look like in-game character models. Otherwise they'd be as smooth as the whole rest of the video...

Yeah it looks thicker but you can see a highlight that shows the curve towards the camera. I realize that it's not actually important if it's rounded or normal, but since the other image didn't help, may as well. :P

lucario_zps46ac6de1.png

And actually, Stadium and PBR look nothing like normal fighting games. There's no trainers, or the usual arena paint. It COULD be the next Stadium, but it's really strange.

PBR1.png

Edited by Ixchel, 17 August 2013 - 05:22 PM.

Posted Image

#35 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:50 PM

Spoiler
In Colosseum and XD... It was described pretty well. No random pokemon battles, no quest to become the Champion. It's a completely unique story. It's still revolved around stopping gangs so far, but because it's the main plot, it's much more developed. They take place in different regions with new characters. Um... Sorry, I suck at explaining haha. They just take the franchise in a completely different route than normal. I admit I may have been a little vague because CGI has a more slang meaning when referring to games. But by context I meant computer graphics VS a real life background. Because Augmented Reality uses real life backgrounds. :) I agree, they don't look like cinematics, they do look like in-game character models. Otherwise they'd be as smooth as the whole rest of the video...Yeah it looks thicker but you can see a highlight that shows the curve towards the camera. I realize that it's not actually important if it's rounded or normal, but since the other image didn't help, may as well. :P lucario_zps46ac6de1.png And actually, Stadium and PBR look nothing like normal fighting games. There's no trainers, or the usual arena paint. It COULD be the next Stadium, but it's really strange. PBR1.png

I would suggest not using cgi in terms of real time graphics at all. Pretty much everyone uses cgi in pre-rendered terms. As in cgi=pre rendered scene or movie. Real time is the gpu generating the imagery on the fly and it is possible to interact with that.
I mean, if no one meant non-real time graphics, then why even go there?
I'm not unfamiliar with Pokemon. I'm just not into knowing all their names, looks, etc.
Familiar with the games. I had some game boy and n64 Pokemon games way back. Just never got into it.
The curve of the tail is apparant once the first picture that you kindly posted (which also is where I observed the character design having a tail thicker toward the end -not referring to the wii u speculative shot.)
The mobile games are quest-ish. The n64 game seemed like a fighting game to me. Just rpg style fights.
And this looks similar. Take your Pokemon and battle in a stage. There is no rule that it has to be done exactly the same as past consoles, with the circus looking stages. Might as well make the stages awesome since the horsepower is there.
Actually the Pokemon way of doing this is less demanding than a true fighting game, since the fighting mechanics are more rpg style. So graphics can be ramped up.

As far as the trainers not being there, they weren't in the old games either.

And someone may have wised up and not implemented them since the focus is on Pokemon fighting. Why waste a huge amount of polygons and texture/lighting/animation assets on things that don't enhance the core of the experience?

I mentioned in a thread a while back that Nintendo should really focus on an aaa next gen, graphically excellent Pokemon game for wii u given the crazy sales that IP guarantees.
Looks like that may actually be happening.
Of course, the wii u would be perfect for a quest version of the game as well. Or even an all in one. But they tend to not go that route.
Still, these screens give a feeling that a major teaser was just presented an a very sneaky way. ESP after watching that cgi lead-in with pikachu walking pas various Nintendo hardware devices showing various versions of Pokemon, then walking past a barely showing wii u game pad (on the left shortly before the two 3ds' at the end), then showing the finale xand y only to then be teased by a clearly next gen looking screen for a few seconds and fading to black.
Kinda looked like something awesome is coming.

Lol

More like that looks like the cgi you'd see playing in a ps3 prerendered cutscene.

If you said ps4, it would make sense.

And to anyone who thinks the 3ds can muster character models like that in an augmented reality gig, no. It really, hysterically, seriously, cannot. At all. Not even close.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 17 August 2013 - 06:43 PM.

#36 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

I mean, if no one meant non-real time graphics, then why even go there?

I saw at least two people thinking it may be an AR game before my post, where cgi vs real imagery is relevant. I mentioned AR in the same line as CGI, as to make the distinction obvious. I understand why someone may read it as prerendered cinematics regardless of context clues, however, as you're correct in that's usually the common meaning.

I'm not unfamiliar with Pokemon. I'm just not into knowing all their names, looks, etc.

The game description was aimed at someone else I quoted in the same post. And yeah the tail becomes kinda thick, then tapers, sorta like a fox crossed with a wolf...

And this looks similar. Take your Pokemon and battle in a stage. There is no rule that it has to be done exactly the same as past consoles, with the circus looking stages. Might as well make the stages awesome since the horsepower is there.
Actually the Pokemon way of doing this is less demanding than a true fighting game, since the fighting mechanics are more rpg style. So graphics can be ramped up.

As far as the trainers not being there, they weren't in the old games either.

Yeah I know the trainers weren't in the old games, but they still had the official rinks. Regardless on the aesthetics and graphics of the stages, Stadium and PBR generally used those rinks to signify that it was some sort of organized battling, like a tourney. The fact that the fight is taking place in the middle of the street can mean a couple things. It can mean it's a Stadium style game with many stages to choose from like in Brawl, or it could signify an unofficial battle from an RPG like in Colosseum or XD, where fights like this were literally most of the gameplay. With more than one valid possibility, it doesn't seem right to assume it'd be a Stadium or any other kind of game. :P

Kinda looked like something awesome is coming.

I agree. Regardless of what this game ends up being, I'm excited that the game clearly had a lot of effort put into it. RPG or HD online battler software, I welcome it. (Although I'd really prefer they'd combine it as you said and make an RPG with online battling features...)

Edited by Ixchel, 17 August 2013 - 07:11 PM.

Posted Image

#37 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

Its so funny some people think the level of graphics in that screenshot can't be achieved on the Wii U. Its a "stop gap" console as EA said when they had Unprecedented support for the console. For those that can't understand what that means its a middle of the road console. Inbetween ps3 and ps4 graphically not just a half a step up or just on par with ps360. Its next gen but we won't see many games that show it from 3rd parties until years from now.

#38 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:53 PM

Apparently gaf and ign are going crazy over this.

Pretty much everyone sees it as a teaser for a Wii u version.

And the way they snuck it in at the end of that video and then static-faded out was so perfect. Everyone wants this.

#39 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:59 AM

In Colloseum, you don't go around catching Wild Pokemon amd collecting Gym Badges. When you progress through the story, you encounter trainers with Shadow Pokemon. You catch theirs and try to purify them by battling with them. There are no random battles, you use a world map to get to different areas, you start with Espion and Umbrion, and all battles are double battles.

Got it. So it`s like a more linear aproach to your regular pokemon games.

Spoiler

In Colosseum and XD... It was described pretty well. No random pokemon battles, no quest to become the Champion. It's a completely unique story. It's still revolved around stopping gangs so far, but because it's the main plot, it's much more developed. They take place in different regions with new characters. Um... Sorry, I suck at explaining haha. They just take the franchise in a completely different route than normal.

It`s like inspired in the handheld games, but not as fleshed out as those games.

Almost like an adventure game.

#40 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:34 AM

Its so funny some people think the level of graphics in that screenshot can't be achieved on the Wii U. Its a "stop gap" console as EA said when they had Unprecedented support for the console. For those that can't understand what that means its a middle of the road console. Inbetween ps3 and ps4 graphically not just a half a step up or just on par with ps360. Its next gen but we won't see many games that show it from 3rd parties until years from now.

As soon as its found that its an actual wii u game, those people will go right back to 'oh, its nothing ps360 havent already been doing forever'.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!