Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

Why are devs being so ignorant and butthurt with the Wii U? I heard all sorts of conspiracies but I'm not sure what I should believe. I know it ain't graphics considering the Wii U isn't extremely underpowered like some may say. I suspect it may be a grudge. Does anyone have an idea what dirty work may be afoot?

Signature_DK.png

#2 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

POPULAR

3rd parties don't want to support the Wii U because when companies make half-assed ports for it they don't sell well, and other companies look at those sales and make their choice based on that. I don't understand the logic behind it either.

#3 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

History is repeating itself and Ninty isnt made for 3rd parties....

If you buy a Nintendo console and then buy just Nintendo games for your Nintendo console and then repeat this cycle for gen after gen then why would they bother changing the formula for success?

They created a self-sustaining ecosystem that is just absolutely genius 

If Nintendo truly wanted 3rd party support they could get it, money talks and Ninty has money out the wahzoo.... But instead Nintendo just makes claims that they are working to get support on their console just so we will say "at least they are trying", then they drop a pokemon game or a Zelda and we forget all about wanting that 3rd party game :P

Edited by Mitch13pavel, 10 September 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#4 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

3rd parties don't want to support the Wii U because when companies make half-assed ports for it they don't sell well, and other companies look at those sales and make their choice based on that. I don't understand the logic behind it either.

But some show interest and consider the Wii U only to change their minds. I'm looking at you Bethesda.

Edited by SaturnDaOPGaymFreak, 10 September 2013 - 02:43 PM.

Signature_DK.png

#5 KingBoo

KingBoo

Walka

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • NNID:Kingofboos
  • Fandom:
    Mentos, bunnies, and anything Nintendo.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

make that 9001 to 0......

Edited by Dr. Lipschitz, 10 September 2013 - 02:43 PM.

bb0.gif

#6 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

If you buy a Nintendo console and then buy just Nintendo games for your Nintendo console and then repeat this cycle for gen after gen then why would they bother changing the formula for success?

True but it still fails to answer the question on why not.

Signature_DK.png

#7 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

But some show interest and consider the Wii U only to change their minds. I'm looking at you Bethesda.

There was some interesting article somewhere about why isnt Bethesda making games for the Wii U if Nintendo is so adamantly focused on using Bethesda games like skyrim to influence the next Zelda game and the conclusion that it came to was that while Nintendo may enjoy their games from afar, Bethesda's games are some of the buggiest big budget games released and due to Nintendo's standard of quality they wouldnt bother releasing them on their platforms

#8 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

There was some interesting article somewhere about why isnt Bethesda making games for the Wii U if Nintendo is so adamantly focused on using Bethesda games like skyrim to influence the next Zelda game and the conclusion that it came to was that while Nintendo may enjoy their games from afar, Bethesda's games are some of the buggiest big budget games released and due to Nintendo's standard of quality they wouldnt bother releasing them on their platforms

Good point. Nintendo shouldn't have too high of standards though IMO.

Signature_DK.png

#9 namkotje

namkotje

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

Why are devs being so ignorant and butthurt with the Wii U? I heard all sorts of conspiracies but I'm not sure what I should believe. I know it ain't graphics considering the Wii U isn't extremely underpowered like some may say. I suspect it may be a grudge. Does anyone have an idea what dirty work may be afoot?

Prolly Nintendo owns fault. Maybe they just didn't listened enough to 3rd parties while hoping on the same success as the Wii (sales wise)?

The fact that the Wii sold so much (without much 3rd party support), is probably the reason why we have this problem. Hope they learn from their lessons for the next console, like (for example) Sony did with the PS3 -> PS4 now.

Also: Nintendo's standard of quality for AAA games. Not for indie games.

No idea what else it could be.  But I love the upcoming Wii U exclusive, which is the reason I have a Wii U. :)

Edited by namkotje, 10 September 2013 - 03:01 PM.

needsthisfinal2_zps12b5fb7d.gif

#10 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

Prolly Nintendo owns fault. Maybe they just didn't listened enough to 3rd parties while hoping on the same success as the Wii (sales wise)?

The fact that the Wii sold so much, is probably the reason why we have this problem. Hope they learn from their lessons for the next console, like (for example) Sony did with the PS3 -> PS4 now.

That does make perfect sense but it is childish of the 3rd parties to hold such a grudge. It will be nice if they just got over it. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

Signature_DK.png

#11 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

I think that the first and foremost, it´s a business decision.

Just regarding Wii U, you had some of the biggest games not selling well on Wii U. Even Blops 2 didn`t sell that well. And when you read comment after comments of people asking for 3rd party games on Wii U, followed buy "i have a Wii U, but i`m getting X game for PS3/Xb360", how can developers bet on Wii U, when on past consoles the biggest titles have been Nintendo titles.

MS and Sony, right from the start. and at the start of every generation, make a console for core gamers. Nintendo makes consoles for Nintendo games. And i´m not just speaking about HW (market it caters to, marketing and advertisment, the games they are willing to push, etc.)

Nintendo made a market for their type of games, Sony and MS went for another market. And if you look at sales of past generations, you´ll see that even multiplats pretty much made it on MS and Sony`s consoles and not so much on Nintendo consoles.

#12 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

If Nintendo truly wanted 3rd party support they could get it, money talks and Ninty has money out the wahzoo.... But instead Nintendo just makes claims that they are working to get support on their console just so we will say "at least they are trying", then they drop a pokemon game or a Zelda and we forget all about wanting that 3rd party game :P

Do you honestly believe Nintendo doesn't want third-parties on board? They would makes tons of money just on royalties.

A system doesn't survive on 1st party games alone, unless the company can pull out at least a heavy hitter every single month, which is hardly the case here.

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#13 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

Do you honestly believe Nintendo doesn't want third-parties on board? They would makes tons of money just on royalties.

A system doesn't survive on 1st party games alone, unless the company can pull out at least a heavy hitter every single month, which is hardly the case here.

Nintendo has survived that several times.

However, Im with you in thinking nintendo would love to have third party and all those royalties.

But, they arent willing to perform ridiculous moneyhats like sony and ms.

Being that nintendo is only a videogame company, while both ms and sony can subsidize those investments with the revenue from all their other non gaming divisions.

Its a game Nintendo simply cant play. And Sony and ms know it.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#14 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

It's not about graphics the way you think of it.
To achieve a level of graphics that would be doable on an 8 year old PC (x1 or p4) on the Wii U, you'd have to research the intricacies of the architecture of the system.
Why bother with that cost when you can simply port a PC game with the know-how of 8 years ago to a console and send the money you would spend on competent technicians and code to advertise it?

There's no reason the same games can't be made for Nintendo consoles as for the other two.
Perception like yours are a part of it, people who own Nintendo consoles end up saying "Wii it, we have first party games." after the third party launch line-up dries up.
They sell okay, they'd certainly pay for themselves, but they'd sell a lot more on the other two.
For whatever reason, maybe it's because Nintendo gives us something to compare those other games to, and third parties have trouble getting to that level.
Still, if they make a game for the other two and just do a decent port with all the same features as the other versions, it'll at least pay for itself.
They have stories like the Tomb Raider game not being profitable too though, had it been ported to Wii U, it'd cost maybe 1 million extra, and at $60 a game that's a requirement of just 2.4% attach rate to the console (my math could be insanely off) which would seem doable on even Nintendo consoles.
Maybe I'm just really out of touch and even a simple port after everything's been done would cost 100s of millions...

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#15 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

There is also the factor that a lot of gamers can't afford every game they would like to play, which means that 3rd party software companies have one really tough competitor on Nintendo consoles they don't have on other consoles: Nintendo. (Now, with the Wii U, Nintendo hasn't released that many games (yet), so this factor shouldn't be a major one for the Wii U so far.)

#16 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

It's because the Wii U isn't selling that well, it's that simple...

Should have just waited to release theWii 2 around the same time as the PS4/Xbox One with more powerful specs that rival the other consoles, Nintendo achievements/trophies implemented because seriously every game on Steam, Xbox and Playstation has achievements, a huge improvement in Miis or completely remove them and give us profile pictures similar to PSN/Steam, and once again should have released with Smash Bros. right off the bat with a huge focus on competitive gaming, DLC, and global ladders/ranking (which is getting big in the West as well thanks to Twitch.tv). The 8GB version was stupid and pointless and the gamepad remains questionable it's cool but a must-have for future games to come? Not really. The Wii U I envision would have 3rd parties crawling on their feet dying to get games on Nintendo's hot selling console. 

It really baffles me that some companies still don't just hire some passionate gamers to sit at a table and discuss what exactly is going to sell and what isn't. I swear a real gamer knows whats better than the guys in suits at Nintendo. 

Edited by EvilMoogle, 11 September 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#17 Poptartboy

Poptartboy

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:45 AM

It's because the Wii U isn't selling that well, it's that simple...

Should have just waited to release theWii 2 around the same time as the PS4/Xbox One with more powerful specs that rival the other consoles, Nintendo achievements/trophies implemented because seriously every game on Steam, Xbox and Playstation has achievements, a huge improvement in Miis or completely remove them and give us profile pictures similar to PSN/Steam, and once again should have released with Smash Bros. right off the bat with a huge focus on competitive gaming, DLC, and global ladders/ranking (which is getting big in the West as well thanks to Twitch.tv). The 8GB version was stupid and pointless and the gamepad remains questionable it's cool but a must-have for future games to come? Not really. The Wii U I envision would have 3rd parties crawling on their feet dying to get games on Nintendo's hot selling console.
It really baffles me that some companies still don't just hire some passionate gamers to sit at a table and discuss what exactly is going to sell and what isn't. I swear a real gamer knows whats better than the guys in suits at Nintendo.

Or more like they just think they do.

#18 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:56 AM

It's a combination of several thing I think like @3dude said Nintendo is just a video game company they just don't posses the money Sony or Microsoft have and I feel Nintendo doesn't make it easy for 3rd party developers by basically not really talking with them. It almost seems like Nintendo is in their own world and they seek to rule it their way which in some ways is the result of the first reason. Also the wiiu is failing big time right now so that basically hurts them on the now. Lastly, I think the remote is not something that is easily adopted by people/gamers and developers alike, it's in a very similar situation as with the wii but only this time the every day costumer didn't buy their product.

#19 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:03 AM

Many third parties are actually scared off by Nintendo's first party.

They know that only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo consoles.

It's sad but true.

But the only reason they don't sell is because devs make a half-assed ports.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#20 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

Or more like they just think they do.

That doesn't sound nearly as witty as you think it does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!