Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

http://www.forbes.co...-for-steam-box/

It was just a matter of time.

Multiple different vendors will be making new shapes and sizes.

And a lucky 300 players will be receiving a free steam machine.

794144.png?13383682

#2 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

Looks like I nailed it.

A PC with a set specification range with a steam sticker slapped on.... And the missing link, preloaded with steam os.

History repeats... Even spearheaded by Gaben again... Except this time its not for ms... Its directly AGAINST ms...

This could be very, very bad for microsoft.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#3 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

The only news that can top this is Half Life 3 exclusive on Steam OS. I still don't see why they are doing a Steambox though, as Big Picture Mode covers it, but at least they solved one of my issues: with multiple hardware varients you could choose what level of performance you want, probably with Source 2 as as the benchmark.

Edited by TheUltimateWaddleDee, 25 September 2013 - 12:35 PM.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#4 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

Call me skeptical but I can't see it taking off. I see an overpriced peice of hardware that may be around for a year or two before being canned.

Signature_DK.png

#5 Mushlikeahusky1

Mushlikeahusky1

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi and luigis mansion.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

i dont understand its like im a pc game console but i also have different versions which do completley different things. THIS IS CONFUSING.

#6 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

I probably won't buy this since I have a perfectly good PC for gaming. Although I will try to get in the beta test and see what it's like.

#7 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

price wise i dont see it happening. i feel like its going to use exclusives as its main driving force along with graphics, but intigrate all the PC games. i can see a machine that tops PS4/X1 early on, but getting less optimized.

#8 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:00 AM

IF this thing has hardware standardization from all vendors, software standardization as well, and has a couple exclusive games worth buying... it could really take off, so long as the price is low and all pc game devs standardize their games and optimize for those set specs... which kind of defeats the "but i can upgrade every year and have my games look better by doing so" idea behind pc gaming benefits.

but then again, with set specs, it only ends up being a console and an unoptimized one at that.

and there are already better, more tightly integrated systems launching.

a pc with set specs is a console, a la the original xbox.

nothing new, revolutionary, or special.

Will pass on this and the very sad looking controller.

basically valve is just looking for a way to get their "e-shop" into your living room.

Current consoles are already doing it better.

No need for Steam.

The smart thing to do wold be to have an influential group form a consortium, where pcs are sold from all makers that can be "gaming certified brand x" to show it meets the spec standard for the consortium of hardware manufacturers and game developers who agree to optimize for those exact specs, running perfectly and looking the best, with optional room to grow.

that would be ideal, but it requires leadership and agreeable collaboration.

MS' games for windows initiative should have been that. instead it was just a stupid label on the box.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 02 October 2013 - 12:08 AM.

#9 Jeremygts

Jeremygts

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:00 AM

I signed up for the Beta... I hope I get selected, that would be the only way id use it, id never actually spend my money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!