• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 krizzx

krizzx

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

This is something I've always held back, but the recent statement about multi-threaded shadows has really got me wondering.

For those unfamiliar with them http://www.amd.com/u...graphics.aspx#3

DualGraphicsEngines1.jpg

Might the Wii U GPU have some components of a dual-graphics engine? It was made during the time where AMD was focusing on them and and some of the stats I've been seeing in games seem unexplainable otherwise.

Its seems that just like ATI's old tessellators, it didn't see much usage do to priority going to Nvidia architecture and designs that were more global. Seems it requires specific programming to properly use.

A console on the other hand is the perfect place for hardware of that nature do to the fact that all consoles of the same name will have the exact same specs.

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

due*

Who knows.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

due*

Who knows.

Shin En?

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#4 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

Shin En?

Can't wait to see some gameplay of that FAST Racing League game on the Wii U. It looks great!

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#5 Grooseland

Grooseland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

We need 3Dude... :)

#6 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:38 AM

We need 3Dude... :)

We have absolutely no way of knowing with the current information at hand.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#7 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:37 AM

We have absolutely no way of knowing with the current information at hand.

Oh.

Is it possible?

bi5tzqg.gif

#8 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:39 AM

Oh.

Is it possible?

Of course it is possible. Although, not the way shown here, where we have an apu (cpu/gpu package) and another discreet gpu added in, that much we actually can tell from the die picture, there arent two gpu's. But Nintendo could have done something on the gpu die in the mcm in a similar line of thought to say, facilitate rendering 2 different scenes at the same time. If Nintendo decided they wanted it, they would have gotten it. We just really dont have any way of knowing at the moment.

I dont think they did. But thats just my gut feeling, and nothing more. You really cant tell anything by simply eyeballing blocks of logic and memory shapes. Its not like the logic block is shaped the way it is because of what it does.

There are a lot of good guesses on neogaf, and many of them are well explained and make a lot of sense.... And most all are probably wrong.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#9 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:56 AM

Of course it is possible. Although, not the way shown here, where we have an apu (cpu/gpu package) and another discreet gpu added in, that much we actually can tell from the die picture, there arent two gpu's. But Nintendo could have done something on the gpu die in the mcm in a similar line of thought to say, facilitate rendering 2 different scenes at the same time. If Nintendo decided they wanted it, they would have gotten it. We just really dont have any way of knowing at the moment.

I dont think they did. But thats just my gut feeling, and nothing more. You really cant tell anything by simply eyeballing blocks of logic and memory shapes. Its not like the logic block is shaped the way it is because of what it does.

There are a lot of good guesses on neogaf, and many of them are well explained and make a lot of sense.... And most all are probably wrong.

Shin'en said on twitter that showing something on the gamepad doesn't effect performance at all "doesn't cost anything" so might be that if anything.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#10 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

Shin'en said on twitter that showing something on the gamepad doesn't effect performance at all "doesn't cost anything" so might be that if anything.

From what devs have said, the GamePad seems to make little to no difference whether it's on or off, displaying a completely different scene or displaying a map. It's pretty cool, really.

bi5tzqg.gif

#11 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

i know i am going to sound negative with this comment.... but at this point why are we still disciussing this. Like i going to play games that are fun. It is clear though that something is going on in the Wii U that 3rd parties dont get. I mean with the reveal today about COD:Ghost on Wii U every time i get my hopes up nothing happens. At this point lets just be appy with 360 level graphics on these ports. Whatever Wii U has in advantage it is not going to be used or shown by 3rd parties. I am not sure if it is the code or what but lets just play the games and have fun. We can talk about graphics we X, MK8, Bayo2, and Smash 4 come out they seem to show more of Wii U's capabilities.

#12 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

i know i am going to sound negative with this comment.... but at this point why are we still disciussing this. Like i going to play games that are fun. It is clear though that something is going on in the Wii U that 3rd parties dont get. I mean with the reveal today about COD:Ghost on Wii U every time i get my hopes up nothing happens. At this point lets just be appy with 360 level graphics on these ports. Whatever Wii U has in advantage it is not going to be used or shown by 3rd parties. I am not sure if it is the code or what but lets just play the games and have fun. We can talk about graphics we X, MK8, Bayo2, and Smash 4 come out they seem to show more of Wii U's capabilities.

Well it was pretty dumb to think cod would be 1080p on the wii u. No third party will try with the wii u until their games are selling 10's of millions.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#13 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

Well it was pretty dumb to think cod would be 1080p on the wii u. No third party will try with the wii u until their games are selling 10's of millions.

Well i mean not even achieving NATIVE 720p.... i could accpet that if the games is running the same level of graphics ps4. But they are trying to say they made improvements. i guess i will see soon when the game is shipped to my house.

#14 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

Well i mean not even achieving NATIVE 720p.... i could accpet that if the games is running the same level of graphics ps4. But they are trying to say they made improvements. i guess i will see soon when the game is shipped to my house.

Nah, they're too lazy to improve anything. It's a 360 port with upad.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#15 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

Nah, they're too lazy to improve anything. It's a 360 port with upad.

not surprising

#16 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

the dev just responds to people in the cod furoms. i was under the impressioin they didnt know how to change the resolution, so a B-list team that cant touch the majoritiy of the internals of the engine.

#17 cupoftea

cupoftea

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:20 PM

showing a twinned image to gamepad is zero hit to wiiu 

showing a differant image like two players in different areas etc will need to be rendered twice THATS COMMON SENCE

lol wiiu can do the graphics of ps4 and 1080p lol dude 

FACT mario kart 8 destroys ghosts graphically and runs 1080p 60 frames

#18 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:28 PM

showing a twinned image to gamepad is zero hit to wiiu 

showing a differant image like two players in different areas etc will need to be rendered twice THATS COMMON SENCE

lol wiiu can do the graphics of ps4 and 1080p lol dude 

FACT mario kart 8 destroys ghosts graphically and runs 1080p 60 frames

it all sounds good but no one will give U respect until they see these things coming from third parties. 2014 will be the year for Wii U... X, mk8, smash4, Bayo2

#19 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:08 AM

it all sounds good but no one will give U respect until they see these things coming from third parties. 2014 will be the year for Wii U... X, mk8, smash4, Bayo2

The problem is, until third parties think they can make their money back from the system (i.e. it has a larger install base) third parties won't even try to optimise it. They just pretend they have and say "look! GamePad features!".

I just hope they will give it a proper shot if the Wii U gets popular. We don't want the ports to stay low-quality just because they think the Nintendo fan base won't notice.

bi5tzqg.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!