Photo

Satoru Iwata admits that Wii U so far failed as a worthy successor to the Wii.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata admitted in a briefing for investors and analysts this week that the Wii U has - so far - failed as a worthy successor to the Wii. The Wii is currently outselling the Wii U, which has only managed to sell 3.9 million units to-date worldwide. Speaking during a briefing about its second quarter financial results, Iwata noted that the Wii U has only done one thing right - backwards compatibility with the Wii.

"Except for its backward compatibility with existing Wii software and accessories, we have so far failed to make propositions worthy of Wii U's position as a successor to the Wii system," Iwata said.

Iwata also said that Wii Sports Club for Wii U and Wii Fit U are now available in Japan, which should help spur sales of the console in Japan and abroad, but cautioned that "success won't come overnight."

"I remarked a while ago that it is difficult to change our prospects with just one title. Our objective for Wii U for the upcoming year-end sales season will be to dramatically change the environment surrounding Wii U with multiple key titles that can appeal to a wide range of consumers," he said.

Finally, Iwata said that key Wii U titles for the holiday this season are Super Mario 3D World (releasing November 22) Wii Party U, and Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games. Nintendo will also release Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze in February. High profile titles like Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. arrive in 2014.

Source: GameSpot

http://www.gamepolit...ii#.UnLsOPnF2Ip

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

The Wii u is a lot more powerful and has awesome new features, but the OS is very slow

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

The Wii u is a lot more powerful and has awesome new features, but the OS is very slow

The x1 takes 34 seconds to boot up, not sure about the ps4, my wii u starts faster than that.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

The x1 takes 34 seconds to boot up, not sure about the ps4, my wii u starts faster than that.

the Xbox 360 and PS3 can jump through the settings and launch the store and other apps a lot quicker.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#5 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

the Xbox 360 and PS3 can jump through the settings and launch the store and other apps a lot quicker.

You sure?
I mean, my friends have rainbowty internet what has 360s but that rainbow was slow as your balls.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#6 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

I agree with him but don't agree with him. I've greatly enjoyed my WiiU. The seven games I've played on it have been great. It still has a ways to go, I mean, you gotta top the Galaxy games to be a worthy successor, but it's been pretty nice for me. I'm sure this holiday season on to next year will really prove the WiiU a worthy successor.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#7 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

He is not wrong in the slightest. They are struggling to get a couple high profile games out within the first year. The needed a killer app about 6 months ago with mariokart coming out this Christmas. Thy also need to be communicating their plans for the OS itself. Where's cross game chat? Where's the online infrastructure for the games coming out? I understand they are behind on a lot of these things because of the Wii, but at least tell us what we are going to get and what your plans are instead of quietly releasing updates. MARKET the thing!!! Of course you can't do that until you actually have things you want to share with us about it (see my comments on the OS). Now that they have an HD system they have to spend money to make money and hey just aren't spending the money.

This console will probably turn into that console with a few prestigious games that the really hardcore will have to play and hats about it. It blows my mind that Nintendo thinks Wii fit is a viable profit booster/ potential system seller.

#8 TriplePower

TriplePower

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • NNID:TriplePower
  • Fandom:
    Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Kid Icarus

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:46 PM

C'mon, this topic is overanalysed already. We all know that, there is no need any gaming site to mention it every few weeks or so.

Visit my Youtube Channel to hear my opinion on various Nintendo games!

#9 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:29 PM

It blows my mind that Nintendo thinks Wii fit is a viable profit booster/ potential system seller.

Nintendo's marketing strategy is to get Wii owners to upgrade to Wii U. Since Wii Fit was a huge seller for Wii, it makes perfect sense to do a Wii U version. It is the same reason they are doing Wii Sports Club.

#10 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

Nintendo's marketing strategy is to get Wii owners to upgrade to Wii U. Since Wii Fit was a huge seller for Wii, it makes perfect sense to do a Wii U version. It is the same reason they are doing Wii Sports Club.

But even Wii owners can see that Wii fit u is basically the same thing as Wii fit and won't buy new hardware for v2.0.

#11 Aiddon

Aiddon

Blooper

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:22 AM

He is not wrong in the slightest. They are struggling to get a couple high profile games out within the first year. The needed a killer app about 6 months ago with mariokart coming out this Christmas. Thy also need to be communicating their plans for the OS itself. Where's cross game chat? Where's the online infrastructure for the games coming out? I understand they are behind on a lot of these things because of the Wii, but at least tell us what we are going to get and what your plans are instead of quietly releasing updates. MARKET the thing!!! Of course you can't do that until you actually have things you want to share with us about it (see my comments on the OS). Now that they have an HD system they have to spend money to make money and hey just aren't spending the money.

This console will probably turn into that console with a few prestigious games that the really hardcore will have to play and hats about it. It blows my mind that Nintendo thinks Wii fit is a viable profit booster/ potential system seller.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. It's not like if they miss a few deadlines like things are forever lost. Thinking in the short term will only cause problems.

#12 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:14 AM

It's a marathon, not a sprint. It's not like if they miss a few deadlines like things are forever lost. Thinking in the short term will only cause problems.

I agree with the marathon not a sprint... but seriously i am tired of Iwata. We only hear from him in one of two situations. 1. promising some unannounced games coming or unprecidented games... or 2. apologizing for failing or not enough games to enable demand for the console. I just want a new management in place.... this one will never change or push the company forward. take some damn risk Nintendo.

#13 Dharmanator

Dharmanator

Thwomp

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:07 AM

Um. ...dude... the other 2 consoles aren't even out yet and the Wii U is in third place. It will just take until March to show it.

In peoples minds it is an after thought. Nothing will change it.

The general public is sick of Mario. You will have a segment that will buy it. .. but not Like the glory days. New IPs please.

The lack and poor quality of 3 rd party support will also be killer.

The PS4 and Xbone are here. They know they had their chance and it is gone. They effed up and there will be no 3ds recovery. Nintendo is about to be blown away.

#14 Aiddon

Aiddon

Blooper

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:21 AM

I agree with the marathon not a sprint... but seriously i am tired of Iwata. We only hear from him in one of two situations. 1. promising some unannounced games coming or unprecidented games... or 2. apologizing for failing or not enough games to enable demand for the console. I just want a new management in place.... this one will never change or push the company forward. take some damn risk Nintendo.

Unfortunately, that's not gonna happen. Japanese companies work a bit differently from Western ones, but it's obvious that the West in general can't wrap its head around that. The only way Iwata is going to leave is when he resigns and that's going to be a very, VERY long time. As for you talking about him apologizing, again, that's just how Japan is. That's how they have ALWAYS been. Better to be humble than arrogant

As for your talk of risk, here's a little secret: that's a load of crap. You can't tell me the Wii, the DS, the 3DS, and the Wii U weren't risks. Furthermore most "risks" in gaming aren't worth it. They're not bold, just stupid. Nintendo has rightfully taken one look at the current gaming landscape, noticed all the morons who are close to bankrupting themselves or have closed and have said "screw that, we're taking it slow." And they'll be all the better for that.

#15 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

Um. ...dude... the other 2 consoles aren't even out yet and the Wii U is in third place. It will just take until March to show it.

In peoples minds it is an after thought. Nothing will change it.

The general public is sick of Mario. You will have a segment that will buy it. .. but not Like the glory days. New IPs please.

The lack and poor quality of 3 rd party support will also be killer.

The PS4 and Xbone are here. They know they had their chance and it is gone. They effed up and there will be no 3ds recovery. Nintendo is about to be blown away.

Sales figures over the last few generations would say otherwise regarding Mario. Also, if you think ever third party is going to go full stop on last gen development to pick up on PS4/XB1 immediately following launch, you are mistaken. Just like the WiiU those systems need a user base to make it attractive to publishers. When all is said and done after all of the analysts have their word, profit potential is what counts to them, not hardware specs or DX/OGL versions.

#16 Dharmanator

Dharmanator

Thwomp

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

Sales figures over the last few generations would say otherwise regarding Mario. Also, if you think ever third party is going to go full stop on last gen development to pick up on PS4/XB1 immediately following launch, you are mistaken. Just like the WiiU those systems need a user base to make it attractive to publishers. When all is said and done after all of the analysts have their word, profit potential is what counts to them, not hardware specs or DX/OGL versions.

Let me refine what I mean. Ok. . Yes Mario will sell. But not enough to sell 70 million Wii U units.

There was no excitement for the Wii U. There was more excitement for the PS4 announcement them for the Wii U launch.

There is excitement over the next PlayStation launch. You can't deny that. Why is that? My take its the hope for something new. Newer IPs. Sony is not afraid to come up with a new one.

That is huge.

Your Mario take strengthens my prediction of a 20-30 million unit sales for Wii U. Nothing to be worried about. Just realize the Wii U is a first party only machine and 3rd party support will be minimal and lower quality than PS4 and other.

Edited by Dharmanator, 02 November 2013 - 09:24 AM.

#17 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

The short term was launch. Nintendo is clearly not thinking in the long term because they are now a year into the life of a new console and have shown nothing for it. If I were thinking long term I know I would want at least a few high profile system sellers out during that time.

#18 Aiddon

Aiddon

Blooper

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

that is the thing, if you take five minutes and examine gaming history there's been one thing too many people overlook: that first years for a console are never, ever that big, They have an initial boom for the release....and then slow to a crawl for the rest of the time because history has proven that most are in no rush to buy new hardware. it's been the same time and time again for nearly twenty years and it's a pattern that's not that hard to miss.

#19 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

Let me refine what I mean. Ok. . Yes Mario will sell. But not enough to sell 70 million Wii U units.

There was no excitement for the Wii U. There was more excitement for the PS4 announcement them for the Wii U launch.

There is excitement over the next PlayStation launch. You can't deny that. Why is that? My take its the hope for something new. Newer IPs. Sony is not afraid to come up with a new one.

That is huge.

Your Mario take strengthens my prediction of a 20-30 million unit sales for Wii U. Nothing to be worried about. Just realize the Wii U is a first party only machine and 3rd party support will be minimal and lower quality than PS4 and other.

Actually, Sony are afraid of doing anything truly new.  They are also afraid of actually evolving some of their more popular IP's.  They have fallen into the same rut over the last few years of doing the same things with a different coat of paint that major publishers have been.

Interestingly, Nintendo do something new, quirky, unique, or just fun that with any other character would be a new IP, but because they use Mario haters gon' hate.  There is a big difference between making a new main title just to make it look different from the last 15 of the same game you published, and making something different but putting a familiar and extremely marketable face on the cover.

Also, W101 is a new IP, Pikmin is an IP that hasn't seen the light of day for over 6 years, Bayo 2 was a dead IP that Nintendo brought back to life. 

The short term was launch. Nintendo is clearly not thinking in the long term because they are now a year into the life of a new console and have shown nothing for it. If I were thinking long term I know I would want at least a few high profile system sellers out during that time.

Long term, like actually longer than a typical development cycle for a single game.  A year is nothing, and they already have some very fun exclusives available on the system.  This holiday season will be very interesting, especially with that Skylanders bundle and 3D world coming later this year.  The library is shaping up quite nicely, and I have just about every release thus far this year.

#20 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

Long term, like actually longer than a typical development cycle for a single game.  A year is nothing, and they already have some very fun exclusives available on the system.  This holiday season will be very interesting, especially with that Skylanders bundle and 3D world coming later this year.  The library is shaping up quite nicely, and I have just about every release thus far this year.

Like that long was from back in 2011-ish when there was basically a drought of wii games as we prepared for the launch of the new consoles, yet these games never appeared. You can't justify this when they weren't producing games for a year or more before the wii u launched. Skyward Sword was the only high profile game released in the year before the launch of the Wii U. (I'm not counting Operation Rainfall because they were just localized in 2012, but had been completed for a while.) Where have they been during this time? Making 3DS games. which was necessary for the success of that console and we have gotten some amazing stuff, but now they are in the same predicament with the Wii U except they aren't going to get stuff out within that first year like they did with 3DS.

After a year that console had Ocarina of Time 3D, Mariokart 7, Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus had recently released or was right around the corner, Star Fox 64, and plenty of other games confirmed to be coming. After a year of Wii U we have had Mario and Pikmin and Windwaker. New Super Mario Bros U was meh and redundant after the Wii version for most people, Windwaker in HD is cool, but not a system seller (Ocarina of Time really wasn't either), and as much as I wish it wasn't the case, Pikmin is not a system seller. 

In summary, the Wii U needed better games within the first year of launch. Nintendo had the time to do it because they really didn't release much of anything in the final year and a half of the Wii, but just didn't because they were focused on the 3DS, and rightly so, but they put too much focus on it, and now the Wii U is paying the price by not getting the high profile games in the first year of launch like the 3DS did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!