13 replies to this topic

#1 Ninolitendo

Ninolitendo

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

hi nintendo fans =),
in my consumer behavior course i am currently writing a paper dealing with the launch of Wii U in 2012 questioning the reasons behind the stagnating sales after it's release.
I would really appreciate it if you would leave a comment on how you feel about the console? why you would consider to buy it/or not to buy it? which features you appreciate the most? or any other topic you want to write about, as long as it is related to Wii U. =)

Thank you very much!
Oli

#2 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

think its a capable consul, i like it overall. i bought it because i know nintendo tends to bring the best exclusives, and i have a gamming rig for most of the non-nintendo games i play. 

beleave it did terrable, starting with a few devs being disappointed by the raw power of the consul, and didnt like having to optimize for a new consul, devs for the most part seem to have not optimized PS4/X1 games too, simply because it would hurt their profits. then the haters used dev excuses and went ham on the hate, which overshadowed most of the good because they were for the most part, the only ones doing anything along the lines of advertising, and where against it. On top of that Nintendo didnt advertise to any meaningful amount. I do expect the wiiU to make a profit for nintendo, and for them to use a 4-6 year consul cycle, which may force sony and microsoft to cut next gen shorter than they wanted. 

#3 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

I think mostly because:
1. consumers were confused over the name, thinking the Wii U was just an accessory for the Wii
2. When it launched there was a shortage of blockbuster titles, and exclusives Nintendo was banking on were cancelled or delayed
3. Developers decide not to take the effort to learn a completely different platform
4. Marketing was poor

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#4 Merky Water

Merky Water

Motion Shooter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Contra, Mario Kart

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

I'm loving my U.  An overlooked system for sure by the masses, but i think that's largely a marketing issue.  One that will solve itself naturally by MK8's release even if Nintendo doesn't work to get info out there better.  Most of my friends who were turned off by it at release did so as they thought the gamepad looked too bulky to game on.  Since that was the only inbox controller, this seemed to be how they'd push this console similar to the wiimote pushed on the original Wii.  I myself thought this but, as a motion player myself, figured I would barely be touching the gamepad anyhow.  We were wrong on that one.  The thing has a comfortable grip and really doesn't seem bulky at all when you try it.  I thought I wouldn't get any game that required the gamepad or pro controller with no motion option yet found myself enjoying the additional screen's functions and bought NG3, AC3, Injustice, SC:Bl and AC4.  There's only more possibilities with that controller to come and thankfully for the others, the pro's out there and doing well in it's own right.  The other games I've bought all do allow for motion off the wiimote so I usually opt for that but am still impressed by their use of that additional screen.

The console itself sold me as it was still embracing motion while the other plats seem to be letting their motion fall by the wayside.  Now they've got me hooked though, they've impressed me by their other achievements.  From my view, I think Nintendo needs to do a better job selling to the Dual Analog users out there.  Us motion folks they've hooked.  Largely by habit, the Dual Analog guys and gals shy away from motion and I believe are afraid Nintendo will force that upon them in their games or give a DA experience like they did with the 'Classic' and 'Classic Pro' controllers on the original Wii.  While those worked well for some, the analog stick placement scared others off.  Scared so bad I had to have some of these guys over and sit them down to try both the Gamepad and the U Pro controller to show them they'd still feel at home and wouldn't have to shift from their comfort zone.

Merky-Banner_zpsfd81fed3.png

#5 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

I like it.

Everyone else doesn't.

Seriously, I feel ashamed to talk about it with my friends.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#6 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

Online is mediocre but its getting there.

2lvmghw.png

#7 Poptartboy

Poptartboy

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:03 AM

I've really loved the console. I've found the gamepad really useful, even just having a map on there as it saves me pausing the game in stuff like Batman and Assassins Creed.

Being able to play without the TV is also great, and to me a major selling point that people need to be more aware of. I much prefer this to shoehorned touch screen controls.

Also I've found online great. Miiverse has been really great to look through, and Call of Duty Ghosts has been connecting really fast. Possibly faster than the 360 ever did.

#8 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:01 AM

I`m enjoying my Wii U more than i enjoyed Wii.

Pros:

It has a unique approach to gaming (gamepad), social interaction (Miiverse) - even within game;
It really changed how you play (doesn`t = revolution);

It has a great price;

Great Indie games + VC games.

Cons:

Doesn´t have a lot of 3rd party games and won`t have for some time;

Controller may seem too big for some;
Not on pair graphically with PS4 and XB1;

No big HDD.

Personally, i really enjoy using the gamepad to play (what it brings to gaming) and Miiverse.

The notifications were a plus - where you could see all those great Mario vídeos made by the developers. Probably couldn`t/wouldn`t see it if not notified about it.

It`s a shame Nintendo has been taking so much time to bring VC games to Wii U.
They announced GBA titles for Wii U`s VC, but so far, nothing has been announced. Let alone GC and other (Sega) console games.
The way they presented Wii U to the market was a mistake. The design of the actual box and actual console, was also not the best.

#9 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

hi nintendo fans =),
in my consumer behavior course i am currently writing a paper dealing with the launch of Wii U in 2012 questioning the reasons behind the stagnating sales after it's release.
I would really appreciate it if you would leave a comment on how you feel about the console? why you would consider to buy it/or not to buy it? which features you appreciate the most? or any other topic you want to write about, as long as it is related to Wii U. =)

Thank you very much!
Oli

Other than brand loyalty:
1. GamePad is amazing, it can completely change your living room if you take advantage of off tv play, NintendoTvii, and the stellar internet browser. The GamePad also makes gameplay more smooth. Pausing to see inventory or a map seems archaic to me now.

2. Excellent price point, the most affordable of the next gen consoles.

3. Miiverse really has created a sense of community. It is a Nintendo/video game social network, and you never feel alone while playing a game. Advice or bragging about a high score etc. is just a click away.

*the numbers aren't ranks, just a way to desperate my thoughts. Good luck!

hi nintendo fans =),

Thank you very much!
Oli

1. GamePad is amazing, it can completely change your living room if you take advantage of off tv play, NintendoTvii, and the stellar internet browser. The GamePad also makes gameplay more smooth. Pausing to see inventory or a map seems archaic to me now.

3. Miiverse really has created a sense of community. It is a Nintendo/video game social network, and you never feel alone while playing a game. Advice or bragging about a high score etc. is just a click away.

hi nintendo fans =),

Thank you very much!
Oli

#10 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:02 AM

Hey Oli. I'll hand my opinion to you.

---The Good---

Market Combat Ability

The Wii U is a very capable system. Given what we know about the system on a specification level, and what developers have been able to achieve with the 2 odd years they've tinkered with it, the Wii U is certainly going to be able to hold a better light to the upcoming gen race than the Wii was able to (of course, I'm referring to appeal among gamers as opposed to appeal among consumers). However, that last part is more or less my assumption and isn't proof of how the future swings.

The Gamepad

It's a pretty nice piece of kit. It does make web browsing through the Wii U a breeze thanks to the touchscreen. It does offer more game options that competitor devices haven't been able to produce. It lasts decently enough (I think the 4-6 hours is good enough for a single sitting). A lot of games offer the ability to Off-TV play, which is possibly my favourite thing about the system as a whole. It seems like a simple concept, but the ability to not have a TV to operate means a lot in family rooms and during travels. (Yeah, I've played mine in the car one time. Pretty sweet.)

The Software

You'll find a lot of the software library to be fun, I guess. I'll admit, I'd rather play something heavy that you get from other consoles, but that's my personal preference. You also find that Wii U versions of games have their little exclusive things, not necessarily just with Gamepad controls but in content as well. Not necessarily mass amounts though. There are still some great incoming titles yet to be released as well.

The System

By system, I mean the interactive bits and bobs you can access almost at all times. The pieces that stay the same. The internet browser is allegedly fast, the main interface is nice and retains that channel effect that the Wii had, Miiverse is a nice message board and Miis are back, if that's your thing.

---The Bad---

Just a heads up, I'm going to be a lot more critical here than what was above.

Market Combat Ability

The marketing of the Wii U has probably been the worst thing about the console. Originally, the console has been stated to play the games that the gamers want to play. For this, Nintendo needed to have a lot less of the casual audience target, and more towards the people who game on a regular basis. I'm not gonna say they completely fuddled this up, but they haven't done spectacular in this area at all. They've hugged too tightly to the image of a family console, without really pushing into the kinds of things that a lot of people wanted from the console. With the PS4 and the Xbox One just around the corner, you'll find that the head start that the Wii U had in terms of advertisement not necessarily wasted, but misused. The Wii U might have had an early start, but they've set the pace too slow in my opinion.

The Gamepad

There are a number of problems with the Gamepad. First, is the resistive touch. A lot of people will say it's not really a concern, but I think that a lot of developers will feel that it's a missed opportunity, and it will show (or rather, not show) in the games that actually are developed by them. The battery life can be an issue, but you are supposed to break every hour or two after all (luckily, the Gamepad Pro Controller last unbelievable hours). A lot of developers seem to be doing very little with regards to using it, or just not at all. I think the worst negative here though, is when you have games where you have no choice but to use the Gamepad, and there is no Off-TV Play. Games like ZombiU and Batman Arkham City Armoured Edition feel wrong without a Gamepad Pro Controller as well as the low battery life of the Gamepad should you play a long session.

The Software

I feel the real miss here is the lack of software. That's not to say there aren't any decent Wii U games, just the right they are being pumped out is slow. The Wii U is receiving 'enhanced' ports at more cost than other counterparts. Some games have not received DLC when there really isn't no reason to do so. Even a year or two in, Call of Duty Ghosts wasn't able to have all the base functions that it's Xbox 360 or PS3 counterparts did.

What we have is a horrible cocktail where: developers are unsure of what to do with their Wii U titles, the few things they do know what to do they can't fully implement because their knowledge of the system is still too poor, they lack interest in detailing Wii U games because of the low sales (thanks to the marketing teams of Nintendo), and developers being intimidated at the prospect of making a Wii U only title because they can't port it to everything else and maximise sale.

I mean, in the end, it's all business. Sad business indeed, but I'm gonna be honest. There is no singular fault. The percentages are irrelevant, but it is the unification of these faults that make the Wii U seem such a shocking investment/development plan.

The System

Okay, just a few things. These are mostly personal and aren't necessarily a shared opinion like a lot of the other stuff.

Miis still feel limited. They seriously could've made a more complex and personal addition to it, and didn't really try. I understand simplicity, but hey, it's a digital representation of yourself. How would you not want to spruce yourself up?

The Miiverse feels clunky and too linear instead of a more free flowing place. Needs to be structured better.

There is no universal reward system. The trophy whore within me is screaming. People can tell me to have fun all they want. I do by trying to get these little buggers. That's actually a way of having fun as well. But it pains me to see developers try to make these big open games and only really having the drive to taste a portion of it. People will pay whatever amount they pay for Call of Duty titles and don't touch the Campaign, which to me sounds stupid because you paid for it, why are you only touching half the game, or rather, why did you pay double for a game? It doesn't make sense. Sure, it's not the most thrilling thing on the planet... Point is, I find reward systems to be an answer to the unplayed. Nintendo is smart enough to make a reward experience that's worth playing for, so why didn't they do it? It makes no sense.

The eShop is a mess. What's worse, is that it still feels catered to people using credit cards. The maximum value of a top up card I can get is $30. I'd need to buy 3 of those to download a particular title like Ken's Rage 2 for example. It's not the easiest format to explore through either. I honestly thought Nintendo would be the ones to make something that feels nicer than what the Xbox 360 and PS3 have. They didn't.

Hooking up with other players isn't nearly as easy on the Xbox 360 and the PS3.

---

And that's how I feel about the Wii U. It is practically my Black Ops II/Ken's Rage 2 box.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#11 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:40 AM

I bought the WiiU because I know Nintendo always has the best games on their consoles. So far, the only games I have found great have been ZombiU, Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101. I'm sure there will be more fantastic games, so I'm not worried. What I don't like is the Gamepad, they should have improved on the Wiimote and nunchuk instead (but still released the Pro controller to replace the CC). The Gamepad is a step back in my opinion, and imagine what the price would have been without the expensive Gamepad AND the extra power that needs to go into the console in order to feed the extra screen.

The reason why it has sold so badly is probably the lack of excellent games. And when the games start to come it already has the rumour of "failure" on it, it's too late now to get "success" written on it. They should have kept marketing it as a "cool" console with all that non-specific action figure vibe, but it's probably too late for that now too.

#12 dustinb12

dustinb12

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Fandom:
    CM Punk, Zelda, Mario, Batman, ECW

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:11 AM

F-U-N fun. that's the bottom line. Nintendo's games are just pure fun, regardless of my age, who or how many people I'm playing with. When this console was announced, there was no hesitation from me. I was getting one. I don't really care about specs, frame rates and all the other stuff i don't really understand. I just know that the games will be fun. I learned my lesson with the gamecube. 3 of my all time  favorite games were on that console (SM Sunshine, Double Dash, Windwaker). A console that was technically in-superior, but had the most fun games on it. 

Gamepad= i wasn't digging it at first, but after playing Nintendoland and Windwaker with it (games it was designed for) it feels so natural. this was a good idea

Virtual console= I'm an older gamer, so seeing some of these games get rereleased on a fresh console is a huge sell point for me. its nostalgia and the chance of playing games i couldn't get as a child

Im in the "other" category=  Assassin's Creed, COD, etc. commercials all look really really cool. It's hard to judge because i don't own other consoles, but I'm just not interested in playing these huge epic movie looking games. Some of us really like whimsical, cartoony, fun games in which i collect coins or save princesses.

hope this helps, good luck on your paper!

Save the Deku trees!

#13 GCD

GCD

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:20 AM

I bought my wii-u round about, May, messed about with it for a few weeks then never touched it again, i had a plan that i would use it to trade in towards a PS4, Then i found out the joys of off screen play, then the joys of sitting using the gamepad to surf the net and watch you tube, then i found the mii verse community, the joys of actually enjoying a game without the chore of trophies or achievements sitting mocking you.

For me it's the wii-u all the way, fun, relaxing anf enjoyable, as gaming should be.

#14 cupoftea

cupoftea

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:25 AM

greatest console ever made shame that the industry is a sad pathetic dieing joke tho lol @ the industry

if an entire industry cannot think up wiiu ideas then what is that telling you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!