Photo

My Opinion on Nintendo This Gen.(At the Moment)

8th Gen.

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 Aiddon

Aiddon

Blooper

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:18 PM

http://www.nintendo....tion/index.html
Nintendo have been listening to those morons, as a stock holder you vote on issues.

And Nintendo (and Japanese businesses in general) only really pay attention to them as a courtesy.

"Tre, on 14 Dec 2013 - 8:10 PM, said:
My turn to chime in. Who is this "core" people are speaking of? I mean really. The Wii sold 100 million consoles. Does that mean 100 million people bought it? PS3 and XBox 360 sold roughly 80 million a piece. Does that mean 160 million people bought it? All together that would be 260 people, right? The answer to all the questions is no. The Wii U, PS4, and Xbox One is at around 8 million. Is that 8 million people? No. People are dipping and buying multiple console. The 8th generation market have not been establish yet to even know if the Wii U is doing poorly or if the PS4 and Xbox One is doing great. The so called "core" audience have not been establish for this generation. It is going to take at least 3 years to figure that out. Nintendo is doing what most company do. They are trying to find their market and exploit it. All this talk of investors. Investors do not even know the extent of what they are investing in. They invest in numbers. Even though the total console sales of each generation has increased, there is a time when it might slow down. Numbers could be decreased by have more stable products that do not need to be purchased again. Nintendo management is fine. They know what games people want. They probably have many discussions about if a game should resurface. As someone mention, they tried with Kid Icarus. They will try another and another until they find one that sticks. The internet is a small (very small) percentage of the gaming community. I understand the OP being frustrated but it comes a time when people need to leave politics to the ones in the gaming industry."

That is the funny thing, Japanese business prioritizes STAKEHOLDERS i.e. employees, suppliers, and customers. Furthermore....the way Japanese businesses are structured makes it near impossible for investors to influence the board of directors. In fact, most of the time the board of directors tend to be people from INSIDE the company who tend to be voted in by the CEO himself. Yeah, the CEO basically can't be taken out except by himself. Everything you THINK you know about business, you kinda have to do the exact opposite with Japanese. It's THAT different from the West.

Edited by Aiddon, 14 December 2013 - 05:20 PM.

• Tre likes this

#62 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

GAMES...Nintendo needs games. They need MORE developers and MORE studios. that simple the market doesnt care about core games on Wii U. Wii U version of COD: Ghost sold LESS than 1% of the totals sales for November. i say that again less than 1 F N Percent of total sales. Nintendo needs developers to create not only mario titles but starfox, f-zero, and NEW ip's. Everyone on here and most other sites were saying Retro would be creating a 3rd person shooter sci-fi type game for Wii U and what do we get a F N 2D paltformer. I dont question the game will be good but a waste of a great developer. take some chances Nintendo do just stick to the same script. Yes good on you for bringing us X, and Bayo2 but we need more.

#63 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

What are core games? Less than 1% does not tell me the attach rate. What is the actual number that the game sold? Then check the attach rate. Nintendo enlisted Platinum Games to make a new IP in Wonderful 101. How many known 2-D Platformers are on the Wii U? Not counting indie games, there are 3. DuckTales Remastered, New Super Mario U plus Luigi U DLC, and Rayman Legend. If there are more please let me know. DK: TF has not arrive yet. A company just doesn't say hey let's make Starfox or F-Zero without first thinking would it be a good business move at this time and then who would be best to develop it. Then a development cycle would need to be discussed. Retro wanted to make DK: TF. If you want to be mad about that, then you should take that up with Retro. It is not like that is the only game they will make the whole generation. 

#64 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:29 PM

What are core games? Less than 1% does not tell me the attach rate. What is the actual number that the game sold? Then check the attach rate. Nintendo enlisted Platinum Games to make a new IP in Wonderful 101. How many known 2-D Platformers are on the Wii U? Not counting indie games, there are 3. DuckTales Remastered, New Super Mario U plus Luigi U DLC, and Rayman Legend. If there are more please let me know. DK: TF has not arrive yet. A company just doesn't say hey let's make Starfox or F-Zero without first thinking would it be a good business move at this time and then who would be best to develop it. Then a development cycle would need to be discussed. Retro wanted to make DK: TF. If you want to be mad about that, then you should take that up with Retro. It is not like that is the only game they will make the whole generation.

The attach rate on ghosts is very, very low. Much less than one percent.

3dworld has the lowest initial attach rate of any 3d mario (though thats a bad comparison if you ask me, 3dworld should be categorized with 2d marios... even so, its bad)

Attach rates all around are pretty abysmal, even the highest ones on the system, are pitiful compared to their wii counterparts. Its not just a low install base impacting sales, the people who own the systems right now are not interested in the current offerings, and the people nintendo brought in with the wii, arent upgrading to wii u. Why would they? Why wouod they care about a system with better graphics? They bought the wii for wii sports, and 2d mario. They could care less about upgrading.

Which is the main problem, it is becoming increasingly clear Nintendo is pandering to an audience thats not there, while the people who actually bought wii u's are ignored. DK will be no different, it will not replicate its wii cousins sales, or attach rate, it will stumble out the gate to pointed fingers and ridicule. Just like mario, and just like nintendos minigame collections.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#65 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

well there are a gazillion on the e-shop but lets not count those shall we. BULL! i have been around long enough to know a developer doesnt run a company the publisher does. If Nintendo wanted them to make something other than DKTF they would have told them end of story. Nintendo pays Retro NOT the other way around. The reality is Nintendo tries to hit home runs with their franchises and doesnt attempt to take smart risk. We had 3 mario platformers this year why not give us a different look? Might i add this is the same Nintendo that said Wii U user would get more "CORE" games first then they would give casuals their games... the exact OPPOSITE happened.  i love the Wii U and it has some amazing games experiences but lets not act like Nintendo didnt screw the pooch on this. Yes some third parties should be ashamed of themselves but Nintendo isnt blameless in all of this.

3dworld has the lowest initial attach rate of any 3d mario (though thats a bad comparison if you ask me, 3dworld should be categorized with 2d marios... even so, its bad)

Attach rates all around are pretty abysmal, even the highest ones on the system, are pitiful compared to their wii counterparts. Its not just a low install base impacting sales, the people who own the systems right now are not interested in the current offerings, and the people nintendo brought in with the wii, arent upgrading to wii u. Why would they? Why wouod they care about a system with better graphics? They bought the wii for wii sports, and 2d mario. They could care less about upgrading.

Which is the main problem, it is becoming increasingly clear Nintendo is pandering to an audience thats not there, while the people who actually bought wii u's are ignored. DK will be no different, it will not replicate its wii cousins sales, or attach rate, it will stumble out the gate to pointed fingers and ridicule. Just like mario, and just like nintendos minigame collections.

Amen brother!

#66 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

I understand attachment rate are low compared to the Wii. Install base is low as well. There are many reason people have not upgraded yet. It is not just about the games. Some people just do not have the money to purchase. Some people are unaware. Some people are not interested. Some people are interested but not ready to make the purchase. There are many games that I still need to purchase for the Wii U. Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, Super Mario 3d World, and at some point want to try Pikmin 3 as I enjoyed the minigame in Nintendo Land. Who will be ridiculing DK: TF? The internet? They are a very small minority in the gaming community. Wii attach rate and Wii U attach rate will be different because the games are different. People comparing Wii to the Wii U should not be and I will tell you why. This is a new generation. Every new generation, gamers change and new gamers enter the market. The Wii U is still an infant and Wii U's success or non sucess will be determine half way through the cycle not at the beginning. 

well there are a gazillion on the e-shop but lets not count those shall we. BULL! i have been around long enough to know a developer doesnt run a company the publisher does. If Nintendo wanted them to make something other than DKTF they would have told them end of story. Nintendo pays Retro NOT the other way around. The reality is Nintendo tries to hit home runs with their franchises and doesnt attempt to take smart risk. We had 3 mario platformers this year why not give us a different look? Might i add this is the same Nintendo that said Wii U user would get more "CORE" games first then they would give casuals their games... the exact OPPOSITE happened.  i love the Wii U and it has some amazing games experiences but lets not act like Nintendo didnt screw the pooch on this. Yes some third parties should be ashamed of themselves but Nintendo isnt blameless in all of this.

Amen brother!

What are "CORE" games? You have not answered that. The Wii U have not been around long enough to say they "screwed the pooch." I am not ignoring indie games. I have purchased plenty of them. Yes, there has been 1 Mario platformer and a Luigi DLC platformer this year. Super Mario U was last year. I know you did not bring this up but does that mean the competitors got things right in its short lifespan so far? I do not have a problem with the third parties. They are making a business decision. That is their right to do so. If they decide to have some small development teams and low budget Wii U games then so be it. As long as the game is playable and enjoyable, I will due my part to let them know I am interested in there games. I cannot change that by myself. 

Edited by Tre, 14 December 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#67 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

I understand attachment rate are low compared to the Wii. Install base is low as well. There are many reason people have not upgraded yet. It is not just about the games. Some people just do not have the money to purchase. Some people are unaware. Some people are not interested. Some people are interested but not ready to make the purchase. There are many games that I still need to purchase for the Wii U. Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, Super Mario 3d World, and at some point want to try Pikmin 3 as I enjoyed the minigame in Nintendo Land. Who will be ridiculing DK: TF? The internet? They are a very small minority in the gaming community. Wii attach rate and Wii U attach rate will be different because the games are different. People comparing Wii to the Wii U should not be and I will tell you why. This is a new generation. Every new generation, gamers change and new gamers enter the market. The Wii U is still an infant and Wii U's success or non sucess will be determine half way through the cycle not at the beginning. 

Things are not looking good. Like i said earlier Wii U could have very decent numbers in December... we have to see. It just is not looking good. PS4 and XB! we against what Nintendo was doing and as of right now it looks like they have found success. Bigger, stronger, and more pricey.

#68 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

Things are not looking good. Like i said earlier Wii U could have very decent numbers in December... we have to see. It just is not looking good. PS4 and XB! we against what Nintendo was doing and as of right now it looks like they have found success. Bigger, stronger, and more pricey.

I hope PS4 and Xbox One do a fantastic job this generation. The Wii U is so early it is hard to tell anything. It is a wait and see approach. Who knows what Nintendo have up their sleeves? They are so secretive and rightfully so. I am not going to predict the future. The Wii U could be the lowest selling console for Nintendo since Virtual Boy. Nintendo could release some keys titles in 2014( we know all of them so we think) and 2015 that can catch fire and give Nintendo profits they can live with. The health of the console is not my concern, I can only purchase the games I like when I can and show friends and family when they come over what it is and why I have it.

#69 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

What are "CORE" games? You have not answered that. The Wii U have not been around long enough to say they "screwed the pooch." I am not ignoring indie games. I have purchased plenty of them. Yes, there has been 1 Mario platformer and a Luigi DLC platformer this year. Super Mario U was last year. I know you did not bring this up but does that mean the competitors got things right in its short lifespan so far? I do not have a problem with the third parties. They are making a business decision. That is their right to do so. If they decide to have some small development teams and low budget Wii U games then so be it. As long as the game is playable and enjoyable, I will due my part to let them know I am interested in there games. I cannot change that by myself. 

Yes it has been out long enough. They had a YEAR lead... they said they learned from 3ds launch and then the did even worse than they did with the 3ds... thats screwing the pooch if i ever saw it. I consider Core as what the majority of players like that give video gaming the most sttention. the people that come on sites like this and post. the people that look on video game news site every day for new news. Thos are your core players and i have been on numerous site and what those players are saying is they want balance from Nintendo. yes we want mario but take chances and give us new ip's modern type games... challenge Retro studios to do something other than a 2d platformer.

#70 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

Yes it has been out long enough. They had a YEAR lead... they said they learned from 3ds launch and then the did even worse than they did with the 3ds... thats screwing the pooch if i ever saw it. I consider Core as what the majority of players like that give video gaming the most sttention. the people that come on sites like this and post. the people that look on video game news site every day for new news. Thos are your core players and i have been on numerous site and what those players are saying is they want balance from Nintendo. yes we want mario but take chances and give us new ip's modern type games... challenge Retro studios to do something other than a 2d platformer.

Thank you for answering the question. I agree with the balance. With the start that Nintendo had ( which they didn't like), it was necessary for the Mario games because they could be developed quicker. Why are people so focused on Mario and forget about Pikmin 3 and enlisting Platinum Games for Wonderful 101? That is balance and more balance is coming in 2014. There will be a 2d platformer, fighting game, rpg, not sure what SMTXFE will be as a genre, action, racing, and I don't know what to call Yoshi yarn as a genre(most likely 2D platformer) but that is balance. This is only what is known, not saying Nintendo has some secret development going on, just what is known. Retro will most likely be working on their next game since DK:TF is basically finish probably a very small team is continuing to polish the game. I do not like using the word patience but the balance is coming in 2014.

#71 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

Thank you for answering the question. I agree with the balance. With the start that Nintendo had ( which they didn't like), it was necessary for the Mario games because they could be developed quicker. Why are people so focused on Mario and forget about Pikmin 3 and enlisting Platinum Games for Wonderful 101? That is balance and more balance is coming in 2014. There will be a 2d platformer, fighting game, rpg, not sure what SMTXFE will be as a genre, action, racing, and I don't know what to call Yoshi yarn as a genre(most likely 2D platformer) but that is balance. This is only what is known, not saying Nintendo has some secret development going on, just what is known. Retro will most likely be working on their next game since DK:TF is basically finish probably a very small team is continuing to polish the game. I do not like using the word patience but the balance is coming in 2014.

but why not have these games available at launch. Nintendo started developing this console in 2009. They couldnt have partnered with a studio or one of their studios to have better selection of games in year one. Seriously we got Sing, and game and wario. Whoever developed thos games should have been working on something that fit the "CORE" market like they promised yet didnt fulfill.

#72 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:38 AM

My turn to chime in. Who is this "core" people are speaking of? I mean really. The Wii sold 100 million consoles. Does that mean 100 million people bought it? PS3 and XBox 360 sold roughly 80 million a piece. Does that mean 160 million people bought it? All together that would be 260 million people, right?

How can they sell 260 million when there's only 7 million people on earth?!

And Nintendo (and Japanese businesses in general) only really pay attention to them as a courtesy.

You're silly.
Do we really need someone to explain what a vote is to you?

0.07 million copies sold worldwide up till December 1 according to vgchartz.
Now, let's see why:
No online presence on Wii U, No Achievements on Wii U(next game maybe Activision will add in stamps), No DLC, No improvement over last year's rainbowty port, many articles about how inferior it is, PS/360 To x1/p4 upgrades offered, so why buy "last gen" when you can get "current gen" then pay extra with all DLC good community of 13 year old players, and better game overall for like $20 on "next gen".
The way Activision treat Wii U is appalling, it's just like how they've been treating their CoD franchise for the past 6 years.

Over-saturation of Mario games.
Some people still think 3DWorld is a port of 3DLand.
There's a lot of dumb people out there.
When sunshine launched, what were the Mario games out? On GBA we have 2 compilation packs of NES/SNES games in Mario Advance 1 and 2.
When Galaxy launched, what Mario games were out? NSMB and 64 was on DS many years before if you want to include that to skew this in the favour against the point I'm making.
Now we have 3DWorld, released 1 year after... NSMBU, NSMB2, 3DLand(2 years ago, but why not), NSLU for the same genre.

Now, that's Mario sales falling dealt with, let's move on to "all around".
Let's take a look at VGChartz.
Starting with Third-party exclusives: ZombiU and w101. We'll be comparing them with Red Steel (1) and No More Heroes.
Global Total as of 30th Nov 2013 (units): 0.57m ZombiU has sold much more, even if you take into account the same timeframe, I'm sure there are charts around which show just how far ahead the Wii was 1 year into it's life regarding install base.
Global Total as of 30th Nov 2013 (units): 0.65m Yet redsteel 1 is only 0.08 million ahead of ZombiU on Wii U, both arguably heavily invested in Ubisoft exclusives for Nintendo.

Global Total as of 30th Nov 2013 (units): 0.09m No this one is much more appalling, Wonderful 101 only at 0.09 million sold? That's around 2.3% of every Wii U having w101 inside their home. (based on September 30th sales info from Nintendo)
Global Total as of 30th Nov 2013 (units): 0.53m March, 2008(3 months after the American release of NMH): According to the financial results that Nintendo announced on Thursday, it has sold 24.45 million Wii systems worlwide since the console launched in November 2006. That means NMH did just 2.1% ?! how can this be? that's a whole 0.01$ less than w101! even without removing the sales numbers of the software after March.

Now let's take multi-plats, if we can find some...
Eh screw that, I'm not going to bother try to hunt in the Wii's charts for anything third party with any kind or parity and same with Wii U, it's just been rainbow left and right for almost 10 years now from them. How they hope to change this perception of rainbowty products after 10 years is beyond me, that would seem impossible in other areas of business.

I don't think Nintendo are getting their demographics wrong, I believe they're not getting their demographic in because they're not advertising to them.
All Wii U sales have jumped significantly since they advertised 3DWorld, and the fact Wii U is "an upgrade", and this is Christmas, a time when there sales have to go up, and probably would even without them advertising. If they need anything, it's a Wii system update or game that advertised Miiverse, and what an upgrade Wii U is.
If I was to have them do anything, it would be to have them make a party game for both Wii and Wii U, advertising the Miiverse and online-play, along with better graphics, and more games (because of gamepad) on the U version to owners of the Wii. advertise the hell out of that and that alone would educate many people on how Wii U is not a Wii.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#73 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:01 AM

How can they sell 260 million when there's only 7 million people on earth?!You're silly.Do we really need someone to explain what a vote is to you?0.07 million copies sold worldwide up till December 1 according to vgchartz.Now, let's see why:No online presence on Wii U, No Achievements on Wii U(next game maybe Activision will add in stamps), No DLC, No improvement over last year's rainbowty port, many articles about how inferior it is, PS/360 To x1/p4 upgrades offered, so why buy "last gen" when you can get "current gen" then pay extra with all DLC good community of 13 year old players, and better game overall for like $20 on "next gen".The way Activision treat Wii U is appalling, it's just like how they've been treating their CoD franchise for the past 6 years.Over-saturation of Mario games.Some people still think 3DWorld is a port of 3DLand.There's a lot of dumb people out there.When sunshine launched, what were the Mario games out? On GBA we have 2 compilation packs of NES/SNES games in Mario Advance 1 and 2.When Galaxy launched, what Mario games were out? NSMB and 64 was on DS many years before if you want to include that to skew this in the favour against the point I'm making.Now we have 3DWorld, released 1 year after... NSMBU, NSMB2, 3DLand(2 years ago, but why not), NSLU for the same genre.Now, that's Mario sales falling dealt with, let's move on to "all around".Let's take a look at VGChartz.Starting with Third-party exclusives: ZombiU and w101. We'll be comparing them with Red Steel (1) and No More Heroes.Global Total as of 30th Nov 2013 (units): 0.57m ZombiU has sold much more, even if you take into account the same timeframe, I'm sure there are charts around which show just how far ahead the Wii was 1 year into it's life regarding install base.Global Total as of 30th Nov 2013 (units): 0.65m Yet redsteel 1 is only 0.08 million ahead of ZombiU on Wii U, both arguably heavily invested in Ubisoft exclusives for Nintendo.Global Total as of 30th Nov 2013 (units): 0.09m No this one is much more appalling, Wonderful 101 only at 0.09 million sold? That's around 2.3% of every Wii U having w101 inside their home. (based on September 30th sales info from Nintendo)Global Total as of 30th Nov 2013 (units): 0.53m March, 2008(3 months after the American release of NMH): According to the financial results that Nintendo announced on Thursday, it has sold 24.45 million Wii systems worlwide since the console launched in November 2006. That means NMH did just 2.1% ?! how can this be? that's a whole 0.01$ less than w101! even without removing the sales numbers of the software after March.Now let's take multi-plats, if we can find some...Eh screw that, I'm not going to bother try to hunt in the Wii's charts for anything third party with any kind or parity and same with Wii U, it's just been carp left and right for almost 10 years now from them. How they hope to change this perception of rainbowty products after 10 years is beyond me, that would seem impossible in other areas of business.I don't think Nintendo are getting their demographics wrong, I believe they're not getting their demographic in because they're not advertising to them.All Wii U sales have jumped significantly since they advertised 3DWorld, and the fact Wii U is "an upgrade", and this is Christmas, a time when there sales have to go up, and probably would even without them advertising. If they need anything, it's a Wii system update or game that advertised Miiverse, and what an upgrade Wii U is.If I was to have them do anything, it would be to have them make a party game for both Wii and Wii U, advertising the Miiverse and online-play, along with better graphics, and more games (because of gamepad) on the U version to owners of the Wii. advertise the hell out of that and that alone would educate many people on how Wii U is not a Wii.

Talks specifically about nintendo 1
st party comparisons, responds with niche 3rd party games comparisons. Sounds legit.

You probably dont realize it, but all you have done is provided supporting evidence for who did, and didnt buy a wii u in my favour.

The small niche of people interested in unique games like red steel/zombi u, or nmh/tw101 clearly made the upgrade.... While the simplistic 2d platform/minigame players have not.

So lets keep shoving 2d platformers and a 2d design based 3d mario down their throats instead of giving them what they want.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#74 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

st party comparisons, responds with niche 3rd party games comparisons. Sounds legit.

Okay if you want to compare Nintendo first party, we can do that too.
Your post was phrased in a way that I thought you were talking about Nintendo as platform holder of Wii U, and it's investments to further the console, not Nintendo as a software producer.

There's a problem here though.
We don't really have any viable direct comparisons, aside from NSMBW/U. (2009 - 67.45m Wii's sold)
Galaxy is a 3D Mario, 3DWorld strictly speaking is, but doesn't appeal to Galaxy players to the same degree. (2007 - 20.14m Wii's sold)
And to compare with Pikmin, I'll total up both NPC gamecube ports for Wii against 3. (2008 - 44.96m wii's sold)
Wii U: 3.91m as of Sept. 30th 2013. Again, I'm going to ignore the sales made After the year of release, which skews the numbers in the Wii's favour.

NSMBU: 2.25 m : 57.54%
NSMBW: 26.97 m : 39.9851%

3dWorld: 0.71 m : 18.158%
Galaxy(1): 10.94 m : 54.319%

Pikmin 3: 0.56 m : 14.32%
Pikmin Wii's: 1.06 m : 2.357651%

Some are a lot fairer than others of course, like the Pikmin one, is just a horrible excuse of a comparison, and 3DWorld to Galaxy isn't the best either, but hey.
The one that does make sense, however, is the NSMB comparison, and clearly shows a higher attach rate that the Wii's offering, which even without the same-year releases on 3DS, and evergreen status Iwata attaches to it, still only has a 10% gap in attach. Of course as time goes on and Bayonetta comes out, that gap will widen, as those who buy Bayonetta may not be 2D platformer fans.

I said widen, I mean the gap between NSMBW sales/attach rate to NSMBU will become closer, 10% will probably shrink to -10% as the Wii U probably won't sell as well as the Wii did, as I repeated several thousand times when Nintendo announced the Wii U, stating lightning isn't going to strike twice. Iwata got lucky with the Wii.
I'm not going to bother trying to compare Wii Play or whatever with Wii Party U, because the casuals have NOT come over, that much should be obvious to anyone, no point trying to re-prove it.

Edited by Nollog, 15 December 2013 - 08:33 AM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#75 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:42 AM

You probably dont realize it, but all you have done is provided supporting evidence for who did, and didnt buy a wii u in my favour.

The small niche of people interested in unique games like red steel/zombi u, or nmh/tw101 clearly made the upgrade.... While the simplistic 2d platform/minigame players have not.

So lets keep shoving 2d platformers and a 2d design based 3d mario down their throats instead of giving them what they want.

Why do people keep ignoring Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 and the fact Nintendo enlisted Ubisoft to make Zombie U? None of those are 2d Platformers or Platformers in general. The system needed Nintendo games quickly so the 2D Platformers were easier to development quickly. It is as simple as that. I mention the variety that is coming in 2014. 2D Platformer, fighting game, action game, RPG, racing game, do not know the genre of SMTXFE, and I'm guessing Yoshi Yarn is a 2D Platformer. Add in the sprinkle of Third Party Games that have not been announced for the Wii U in 2014. Variety was on the system in 2013 but people ignore there was a action RPG, RTS, action, 3 FPS, two 2d and one 3d platformers, party game. I am not going to go into indie games w/ different genres as well. There is more balance of games on the system than the other current generation consoles of XBox One and PS4. All people focus on is 2D/3D Platformers namely Mario. Seems like Mario just dominates people's minds.

Edit: failed to mention 2 action/adventure games in Batman Arkham Origins and AC IV.

How can they sell 260 million when there's only 7 million people on earth?!

You meant 7 billion people on Earth, correct? When I made that statement, I was referring to the people who actually believe that. It was to explain that the so called "Core" audience have not been determined this generation. The "core" audience changes each generation.

but why not have these games available at launch. Nintendo started developing this console in 2009. They couldnt have partnered with a studio or one of their studios to have better selection of games in year one. Seriously we got Sing, and game and wario. Whoever developed thos games should have been working on something that fit the "CORE" market like they promised yet didnt fulfill.

The console been in development since 2006. Nintendo already explained that development teams were tied up on making 3DS games. They were making games for everyone. Sing is very popular is my brother's house along w/ Mario, COD, and other genre of games. Not everyone play certain genres. The "Core" audience was not known when the Wii U was released and it is still not known. 

Edited by Tre, 15 December 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#76 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:57 AM

Okay if you want to compare Nintendo first party, we can do that too.
Your post was phrased in a way that I thought you were talking about Nintendo as platform holder of Wii U, and it's investments to further the console, not Nintendo as a software producer.

There's a problem here though.
We don't really have any viable direct comparisons, aside from NSMBW/U. (2009 - 67.45m Wii's sold)
Galaxy is a 3D Mario, 3DWorld strictly speaking is, but doesn't appeal to Galaxy players to the same degree. (2007 - 20.14m Wii's sold)
And to compare with Pikmin, I'll total up both NPC gamecube ports for Wii against 3. (2008 - 44.96m wii's sold)
Wii U: 3.91m as of Sept. 30th 2013. Again, I'm going to ignore the sales made After the year of release, which skews the numbers in the Wii's favour.

NSMBU: 2.25 m : 57.54%
NSMBW: 26.97 m : 39.9851%

3dWorld: 0.71 m : 18.158%
Galaxy(1): 10.94 m : 54.319%

Pikmin 3: 0.56 m : 14.32%
Pikmin Wii's: 1.06 m : 2.357651%

Some are a lot fairer than others of course, like the Pikmin one, is just a horrible excuse of a comparison, and 3DWorld to Galaxy isn't the best either, but hey.
The one that does make sense, however, is the NSMB comparison, and clearly shows a higher attach rate that the Wii's offering, which even without the same-year releases on 3DS, and evergreen status Iwata attaches to it, still only has a 10% gap in attach. Of course as time goes on and Bayonetta comes out, that gap will widen, as those who buy Bayonetta may not be 2D platformer fans.

I said widen, I mean the gap between NSMBW sales/attach rate to NSMBU will become closer, 10% will probably shrink to -10% as the Wii U probably won't sell as well as the Wii did, as I repeated several thousand times when Nintendo announced the Wii U, stating lightning isn't going to strike twice. Iwata got lucky with the Wii.
I'm not going to bother trying to compare Wii Play or whatever with Wii Party U, because the casuals have NOT come over, that much should be obvious to anyone, no point trying to re-prove it.

Obvious to anyone but nintendo.

Nsmbu came out in a time before mario/2d platformers were saturated on wii u. If you want something OTHER than mario/simplistic games your choices are small to non existant.

You could

A: Get stuff from 3rd parties, typically a year or more after you already played them on 360, with missing features and poor quality.

B. Get wii u exclusive 3rd party action/horror titles... Er, title. Great for a smaller niche of sadists, but typically far too challenging for the average core gamer. Very small in number.

C. If you want an in depth engaging exploragion adventure game from the only dev/publishing house that can or will actually still make them worth a damn, you can suck it. Here, have more Donkey Kong Videos.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#77 Aiddon

Aiddon

Blooper

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:06 AM

You're silly.
Do we really need someone to explain what a vote is to you?

Oh, I know what a vote is....but it doesn't matter. Just about everything you THINK you know about investing, you pretty much have to think the exact opposite way when it comes to Japan. As I explained earlier, investors have as little power as possible in Japanese corporate culture, regardless of whether or not the investor is Japanese or foreign. Japanese businesses are structured in such a way that investors can't really DO anything significant. At best, all they can do is shake their fists impotently. They can't bully the board of directors, they can't influence the CEO, they can't really do anything. Japanese businesses prioritize STAKEHOLDERS over shareholders. They're concerned about their employees and their customers instead of their shareholders. They prioritize their company's longevity over making their already wealthy investors wealthier.

So...yeah, basically with the way Japanese business works it's next to impossible for Iwata to get fired. The only way he'll leave is through willing resignation. And remember, he would be the one to pick his successor which would probably be someone with a similar mindset and philosophy. Best to just get over it and accept the reality of the situation.

#78 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:16 AM

Okay, so you're never changing your views no matter how much sense I throw at either of you, way to be pros.

Here's a video about the UK.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#79 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

Inevitably Japanese business culture is different to that of the US or Europe, but the differences do not make it any more risky to do business in Japan than elsewhere in the world. In fact, certain aspects of Japan's business culture, especially the very stable long-term relationships resulting from the conservative Japanese sense of loyalty to trusted partners, can be very beneficial for those foreign companies that understand how to swim with the cultural tide as opposed to vainly struggling against it.

http://www.ventureja...ess-culture.htm

#80 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

Okay, so you're never changing your views no matter how much sense I throw at either of you, way to be pros.

Here's a video about the UK.

1. Cant think about anything except the chrono trigger music in the video now...

2. Nope, still trigger music.

..... Still.

Okay, so what does the uk having horrible horrible taste have to do with any of this? 3Dworlds numbers in japan were bad, but in the states were absolutely abysmal for a mario released in november. Why are you comparing it to knack? In the microscopic UK?

Probably the only thing nintendo did right here was give 3dworld to a crack team on a razor thin budget. Even with sales capping at 1 million they will make a handsome profit. Doesnt adress the issue im bringing up. The people who bought a wii u, are showing, over and over again, with their wallets, that they arent the same people who will tirelessly eat up mindless simplistic distractions. Those people outnumbered them 10 to 1 on the wii. Thats not the case on the wii u.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!