Photo

Is games & consoles sold in Australia a rip off?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Is games & consoles sold in Australia a rip off? (5 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think?

1. Yes (3 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. I don't mind (2 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Merchiodos

Merchiodos

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Fandom:
    LINK <3

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:26 PM

Buying games in Australia is so damn expensive. $100 for a new realease. Get real. In other countries it usally $70 and under. Why can't games in Australia be cheap.

Same thing with consoles. For a 3DS its $350 (I think its now $250 because no like the 3DS at first). We live closer to Japan then America does, but the Americans get the games & consoles before we do and get them cheaper. This is so unreal.

Posted Image
Posted Image

If only Link was real <3

#2 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:06 PM

Oh cool, you're Australian too?

I don't have a problem. Then again, I have a job.
I'm happy I only recently got a PS3 recently. I haven't paid more than $40 for a single title. Consider that each title could've been $100-$120 a piece, I think I've done fairly well... thank you, JB HI-FI bargain bin!

I think America is closer mate. There's a friggin beeline through the Pacific, whereas they'd have to sail around Indonesia to get to us. There's also more demand in America.

Most of the localisation happens America as well, I think. So they get the game first before they pass it off to us. It's also incorrect to say that they get games before us. There are many examples and future examples in which we got games before them. Mercs 3D, Call of Duty Black Ops, Xenoblade Chronicles, just to name a few.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#3 Merchiodos

Merchiodos

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Fandom:
    LINK <3

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:28 PM

I know bout the bargin bin, most of the games there are lame. See to buy games I use ozgameshop but that takes for ever for the games to arrive. I'm poor when it comes to buying games (yet again I use my dads money). All the good games are $100 and all the crapy ones are less (in Australia)
Posted Image

If only Link was real <3

#4 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:38 PM

(I think its now $250 because no like the 3DS at first)

EVERYBODEH LIEKED IT!!!! But not enough people had the money or the guts. Anyways, I thought the Australian structure was you earn more money you buy more money?
Posted Image

^CLICK RIGHT NOW TO FACE PURE AWESOMENESS (MAYBE)
@SSB4News <- Pure awesomeness is now on Twitter!

#5 Merchiodos

Merchiodos

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Fandom:
    LINK <3

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:20 PM

EVERYBODEH LIEKED IT!!!! But not enough people had the money or the guts. Anyways, I thought the Australian structure was you earn more money you buy more money?

I knew more people who hated the 3DS then like it and plus we get lots of money, but stuff here is so good damn expensive. Example: cigerattes here are $16.45 and in somewhere like america its like $1. See thats one thing I hate bout Australia EVERYTHING IS EXPENSIVE!
Posted Image

If only Link was real <3

#6 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:33 PM

Cigarettes?

Pffft!

With everyone throwing the butts on the street, and not giving a crap if a kid walks past them, the more expensive, the better.

AuzzieWingman.png

#7 Merchiodos

Merchiodos

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Fandom:
    LINK <3

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:38 PM

Well thats true. but do you see the differents, $16.45 (australia) - $1 (america). same thing goes with the 3DS (at first) $350 (australia) - $250 (everywhere else)
Posted Image

If only Link was real <3

#8 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:03 PM

I knew more people who hated the 3DS then like it and plus we get lots of money, but stuff here is so good damn expensive. Example: cigerattes here are $16.45 and in somewhere like america its like $1. See thats one thing I hate bout Australia EVERYTHING IS EXPENSIVE!

Cigarettes should be at that price. XD Sadly, they're $1.75 a pack. Back on-topic: that's why you get a lot of money. To pay expensive things. At least that was an Auzzie-like person told me.
Posted Image

#9 Merchiodos

Merchiodos

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Fandom:
    LINK <3

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:55 PM

Cigarettes should be at that price. XD Sadly, they're $1.75 a pack. Back on-topic: that's why you get a lot of money. To pay expensive things. At least that was an Auzzie-like person told me.

Most people (like me) are poor and don't have jobs. Alot of people (students) who have jobs get payed less. which is sad
Posted Image

If only Link was real <3

#10 Phones

Phones

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Fandom:
    TWEWY, KH, Phoenix Wright

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:53 PM

Cigarretes should be illegal.
Anyways, on topic, at least you appreciate your games more that way. And probably enjoy em more, knowing what they cost.
Can you find 'em all?
Posted Image

#11 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:10 PM

^ Agreed.

From what I can tell, Australians get paid more and pay more.
How about a rough example.

A 16 year old kid works at Maccas. He gets about $12/hr in Australia. Similarly, a 16 year old kid does the same, except in America. She gets about $8/hr for doing that.

Just because it seems more expensive here, doesn't mean it's a direct value. 3DS games here cost something between $50 - $60. In America, I think the average is somewhere between $35 - $40. But regardless of the number that is shown, it's really only about a $10 difference when you equalise everything.

Or something like that. Merc, We aren't getting overly ripped off; it's a lot closer than you think. Also, you should get a job. Try to get a job at a local business with lots of customers, like a Green Grocer or a Butcher. Local businesses tend to be a better job experience than a chain.

AuzzieWingman.png

#12 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:59 PM

In Switzerland/Europe it's the exact same thing.. am I complaining. No.

I can't do anything besides it, but now I'm gonna start importing (when I move back), cuz I can save a ton of money that way :P

#13 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:23 AM

That kinda sucks.... but its because Nintendo has manufacturing plants in America through NOA. Therefore the costs associated with shipping the games are cheaper. And what taxes are placed on imports is Australia? That would factor in too. Everthing is expensive in Australia for the same reason everything is expensive in Hawaii; it is an island that is at least a 3-4 hour plane ride from anywhere that is not also an island (islands tend to have less resources)

#14 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

Cigarretes should be illegal.
Anyways, on topic, at least you appreciate your games more that way. And probably enjoy em more, knowing what they cost.

Both are very true. But I would still want to have the same experience at a less cost. Anyways, I'm not an eco-expert, so...
Posted Image

#15 Merchiodos

Merchiodos

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Fandom:
    LINK <3

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:05 PM

Even if I bought the game for 5 cents, I'll still appreciate my games, its just because were so far away from everyone (ocean wise) everything here is expensive
Posted Image

If only Link was real <3

#16 Katana

Katana

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Kart 7.

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:47 AM

I used to talk to an Aussie gamer and he just complained about release dates..Aus use the PAL system like we do in Europe but still they seem to get games generally later than us...this I find strange.Like MK7 gets released in the UK on Dec 2nd,but Australia its just listed as Dec?
I think in terms of pricing it depends on how much people earn...I think generally wages are higher in Aus than say the US or the EU etc so thats why the price is higher.
Posted Image
Want to race me...??? Just ask for an add...

#17 Merchiodos

Merchiodos

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Fandom:
    LINK <3

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:37 PM

If man created this world, then why do we have to pay?
Posted Image

If only Link was real <3

#18 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 02:21 AM

-

Edited by BazzDropperz, 14 July 2014 - 12:08 AM.

#19 Zuperman

Zuperman

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

From my point of view, yes. My total money is based on a monthly allowance so I feel ripped off getting games later than other countries but still paying more...
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!