Photo

What Are Your Thoughts On Super Mario 3D World?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

OVERATED is how i would describe it,is fun but nothing special and gets boring before the end

#22 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

Still only 2 worlds in (I promised not to play ahead of my brother while I'm here). 

So far it seems pretty good.  I like the controls and graphics and it is definitely more fun than NSMB.

Not sure if GOTY material, Rayman Legends seems a bit more deserving so far.

#23 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

I like both, but I have enjoyed Rayman Legends more.......

Still only 2 worlds in (I promised not to play ahead of my brother while I'm here). 

So far it seems pretty good.  I like the controls and graphics and it is definitely more fun than NSMB.

Not sure if GOTY material, Rayman Legends seems a bit more deserving so far.

#24 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

Underrated. Some of the best graphics and gameplay I have played this new gen.

#25 Bengdogg

Bengdogg

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • NNID:Bengdogg

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:32 AM

I have played this game way too much with the kids this xmas, last night I could see it when I shut my eyes. TBH I love it!!! It plays well is great fun and has plenty to see and do. We are just in need of more stars to unlock the 1st secret world after finishing the games boss, we are about 21 stars short so have some work to do. We also had a great laugh playing 4 player yesterday when some family visited racing through the 1st level as fast as poss seeing who would score highest. I was never really into mario 64 as I found the controls hard when judging the 3d jumps but on this game I have had no problems. I also really enjoyed Mario Bros Wii U a lot so I guess I am a bit of a sucker for Mario games. We also got Marvel Lego and I can't stand it, gameplay is slow and confusing at times, no skill required and despite looking pretty I really can't understand all the rave reviews of it...

#26 Bx don

Bx don

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

I started it last night and it seems like port of 3D land on the 3ds. I'm still enjoying it and having a lot of fun playing it.
572355.png

#27 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

Bx don, on 05 Jan 2014 - 2:20 PM, said:
I started it last night and it seems like port of 3D land on the 3ds. I'm still enjoying it and having a lot of fun playing it.

Either you never actually played 3dland, or you dont know what the word port actually means.

Perhaps you mean sequel?

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#28 Ghost

Ghost

BASEDGOD

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

My thoughts are, if they retire Mario for at least 2-4yrs and brought this out, the game would had been like the third coming of Super Mario Galaxy. 

#29 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • NNID:Lightning_Ninja
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

I played through about 3 and a 1/2 worlds with my brother over break.  Overall, a fine game.  I do have a few nitpicks.

The autosave after a level should be done in the background.  I don't think a Mario game is taxing enough that it requires the game to come to a full stop while its saving.

I personally didn't like how slow the acceleration is for going into a run.  I'm sure others find it fine, but for me it just felt like it had a long wind-up time.

I realize that they need to design the game to be playable with just a Wii Remote, but I would appreciate if I could separate some actions in the other control schemes.  Having run, use item, and pick up players all being the same button caused more problems than help when we were playing together.  Plus, all the games I've been playing recently use R as a run button, so I was having some trouble overwriting my instincts.

And I know that many people don't see this as an issue, but the lack of online is a problem for me.  My brother lives 3 hours away, so except for the once a month either he comes by or I visit him, I can't play this game with him.  People say, "Its the first 3d multiplayer mario!' but for me 99% of the year, its just another 3d Mario.  Yes, they said online wasn't a focus this time around, but I'm not asking for it to be a focus, simply a feature.  It's Mario.  It doesn't need some complex online feature set, just the ability to play with friends online.  Sure I'd rather play local with my brother than online, but I can't do that most of the year.

Having said all that I'll say the level design seems fine, the powerups well used, it looks and sounds great, and being able to have multiple characters that control differently is great and probably what I liked most about the game, but it didn't really feel very different.  It's a fine, solid game, that I'm sure many people will enjoy, but for me, it can't grab me.

#30 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:02 AM

I played through about 3 and a 1/2 worlds with my brother over break. Overall, a fine game. I do have a few nitpicks.

The autosave after a level should be done in the background. I don't think a Mario game is taxing enough that it requires the game to come to a full stop while its saving.

I personally didn't like how slow the acceleration is for going into a run. I'm sure others find it fine, but for me it just felt like it had a long wind-up time.

I realize that they need to design the game to be playable with just a Wii Remote, but I would appreciate if I could separate some actions in the other control schemes. Having run, use item, and pick up players all being the same button caused more problems than help when we were playing together. Plus, all the games I've been playing recently use R as a run button, so I was having some trouble overwriting my instincts.

And I know that many people don't see this as an issue, but the lack of online is a problem for me. My brother lives 3 hours away, so except for the once a month either he comes by or I visit him, I can't play this game with him. People say, "Its the first 3d multiplayer mario!' but for me 99% of the year, its just another 3d Mario. Yes, they said online wasn't a focus this time around, but I'm not asking for it to be a focus, simply a feature. It's Mario. It doesn't need some complex online feature set, just the ability to play with friends online. Sure I'd rather play local with my brother than online, but I can't do that most of the year.

Having said all that I'll say the level design seems fine, the powerups well used, it looks and sounds great, and being able to have multiple characters that control differently is great and probably what I liked most about the game, but it didn't really feel very different. It's a fine, solid game, that I'm sure many people will enjoy, but for me, it can't grab me.

The acceleration is actually different for each character, toad is definately the fastest, luigi... Man they screwed luigi but im too stubborn to change...

Its a 2d mario in 3d. The controls are straight from 2d mario games, and pretty much nothing at all from 3d 64 style marios.

Functional online for this kind of game is completely impossible with current internet latency technology. Its not even an issue with bandwidth, no bandwidth in the world will help. Especially with peer 2 peer like most console games use and the current population non density of the wii u online user base.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#31 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:25 AM

The acceleration is actually different for each character, toad is definately the fastest, luigi... Man they screwed luigi but im too stubborn to change...

Yeah, Luigi is wrecked. I still played through the whole game as him. I just like him for some reason.

And I love what he says when you select him; "Yeah! Luigi! Go green!". This game has so much character.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#32 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

games great, finally got used to the control mechanics, though i still think its worse than galaxie and n64 mechanicly. games great.

beat first runthrough all the way up to the 100% to pass secret level with mario/toad. and then used peach to get everything i skipped on the way to the end of the game. 

#33 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

Finally got the chance to play with another person and I gotta tell you it's waaaaay more fun than playing solo. But playing Solo is still fun as hell

#34 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

Played it again tonight and really enjoyed it......Still enjoy Rayman a little more but both make the Wii U worthwhile alone, IMO.......

#35 TriplePower

TriplePower

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • NNID:TriplePower
  • Fandom:
    Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Kid Icarus

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:49 AM

Sorry to ask but is there a special power Mario possesses? For example, why would I choose to play with him over any other character (beside looks)?

Visit my Youtube Channel to hear my opinion on various Nintendo games!

#36 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, tales, and online games.

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:19 AM

Mario is the most balanced, I belive luigi jumps higher, peach floats for a sec when jumping, and toad is faster.

#37 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

Sorry to ask but is there a special power Mario possesses? For example, why would I choose to play with him over any other character (beside looks)?

As dark rabbid said Mario is the most balanced so he is much easier to control than the other characters.

Edited by Hunter, 07 January 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#38 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

nice to hear everyones thoughts, im concerened how much ill enjoy because i really dont 4 players to play.

#39 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

nice to hear everyones thoughts, im concerened how much ill enjoy because i really dont 4 players to play.

You'll still enjoy it, I played for a couple weeks solo and i still had a blast. Multiplayer does add a fun factor to the game but playing solo is just as good.

#40 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

You'll still enjoy it, I played for a couple weeks solo and i still had a blast. Multiplayer does add a fun factor to the game but playing solo is just as good.

then perhaps i need to go ahead and get it, Feburary is a busy month with bravely default and donkey kong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!