Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

Raising the federal minimum wage to $10.10 an hour could help lift nearly 5 million people out of poverty, a new study finds.

If Congress were to go through with a plan backed by President Barack Obama to raise the minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $10.10 an hour, it would reduce the poverty rate among Americans between the ages of 18 and 64 by as much as 1.7 percentage points, a study released Monday from University of Massachusetts-Amherst economist Arindrajit Dube finds. That would bring about 4.6 million people out of poverty directly and reduce the ranks of the nation's poor by 6.8 million, accounting for longer-term effects.

"What I found is very robust evidence that minimum wage increases tend to have a moderate reduction in the poverty rate." Dube said.

A $10.10 minimum wage would help to reverse some of the damage done by the Great Recession. The economic downturn, which technically ended in 2009, and recovery have been marked by high unemployment and stagnant or falling wages. After the recession, many jobs that did return were low-paying -- with many offering just minimum wage or close to it.

Three-fifths of the new jobs created during the economic recovery paid low-wages, according to an August 2012 analysis from the National Employment Law Project, a left-leaning advocacy group focused on low-wage workers.

The combination of many Americans not working at all or working for not that much money contributed to a 3.4 percent increase in the poverty rate during the recession that has not abated. A $10.10 minimum wage could go a long way in reversing some of that economic damage, according to Dube.

“[The $10.10] increase would erase more than half of the increase in poverty we have seen during the Great Recession,” Dube said. “We’re talking about roughly 5 million less people in poverty in America.”

Dube isn’t the first to highlight the benefits for the working poor of raising the minimum wage. A July analysis from Restaurant Opportunities Center United found that a $10.10 minimum wage would have been enough to lift more than half of the working poor -- or about 6 million people -- out of poverty in 2011.

To come up with his findings, Dube analyzed 23 years' worth of data on past minimum wage increases, controlling for things like regional differences. For comparison, he also reviewed previous literature on the average drop in the poverty rate after a minimum wage increase and calculated the average of those averages.

A few experts said Dube’s estimate is within the range of others they’ve seen, noting that a drop of nearly 2 percentage points is at the higher range of estimates.

“That’s certainly within the range of possibility,” Dean Baker, the co-director of the left-leaning Center for Economic and Policy Research, said of Dube’s estimate. “Could it be somewhat less? Sure. But I think that's not a ridiculous number at all.”

Economists have debated for some time over how much a minimum wage increase affects the poverty rate, according to Baker. Some argue that raising the minimum wage would barely make a dent in reducing poverty because many minimum wage workers are young people just working to make extra money.

“(Dube's study) is just re-confirming that no, actually most of the people we see in the minimum wage are not in that boat,” Baker said. “We’re looking at a lot of people that are the sole supporter for the family or main supporter of their family. There’s a large overlap between the poverty population and the people who would be benefited by the minimum wage increase.”

Still, even Dube himself noted that increasing the minimum wage isn’t the most direct way of reducing the poverty rate. Instead, policies like the Earned Income Tax Credit, food stamps and those aimed at reducing the unemployment rate of at-risk groups are more effective, he said.

“We have to remember that many families in poverty have very little or no connection to the labor market, so of course we can’t expect a wage-based policy like a minimum wage increase to have a very large effect on the poverty,” he said. “But nonetheless, we find it has a moderate-sized impact.”

In addition to reducing poverty, raising the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour would offer other benefits. During the initial phase-in period of the increase, the U.S. economy would grow by $22 billion, resulting in 85,000 new jobs, according to the Economic Policy Institute, a left-leaning think tank.

It could also help close the income gap. More than half of the growth in the gulf between low-income and middle-income Americans is the result of the fact that the minimum wage lost 30 percent of its purchasing power over the past few decades, according to Jack Temple, a policy analyst at NELP.

“If we’re interested in reducing inequality of family incomes, the minimum wage can play an important role,” Dube said.

http://www.huffingto...kusaolp00000009

Dooo eettt. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

Wow $10, that seems a bit much for Min. Wage... And the higher the min. wage the bigger chance some businesses will not higher as much or go out out business because they dont have the profit to pay that out.

Stupid Snowmads!

#3 meitantei_conan

meitantei_conan

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • NNID:qublin_triforce

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

the minimum wage is $10.45 where I live. I got a pay raise so I get $10.75 now :P

#4 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

I'll be moving to Missouri in 3 weeks where the minimum wage was raised to a whopping $7.35 $7.50 an hour.

Can you even afford car insurance with those slave wages, let alone food and rent?

I would also like to add that welfare in Missouri equates to ~$10.96/hour, which is silly.

Edited by Tom, 05 January 2014 - 07:25 PM.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#5 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

My question is why are people trying to survive on a minimum wage job? Minimum wage jobs are around for kids getting their 1st jobs while in high school, young adults going to college and finding some part time work or seniors who are retired and need something to do to keep themselves active and sane.

What ever happened to people working their way up the chain by proving they are a worthy, on-time, hard working, and reliable? Absolutely no reason to raise the minimum wage for the people who choose to keep working that minimum wage job. Instead of complaining about their wage, why don't they better themselves and WORK on getting out of that type of job. You don't need a college education to get out of that low paying job. When I was 16 I got my 1st job working in a grocery store, by 18 I was the dairy manager at that same store.

People are lazy and only blame others.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#6 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

It would only cause inflation and the extra expense would cause them to lay off workers who aren't entirely necessary in order to maximize their profit.

Raising the wage will only help in the short run, but it will only hurt in the long run.

Edited by Big Boss, 05 January 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#7 Mushlikeahusky1

Mushlikeahusky1

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi and luigis mansion.

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

The more we get paid the higher the prices of stuff goes because money becomes worth less. This is short sighted fix to a problem that will never go away.

#8 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

I'm retired now(ok was a sorta forced permanent one but enjoying it still) but I would have killed a kitten for 10$ Min wage 10 years ago when I was getting $5.15

#9 Chaos

Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • NNID:ChaoticPikachu
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

Wow $10, that seems a bit much for Min. Wage... And the higher the min. wage the bigger chance some businesses will not higher as much or go out out business because they dont have the profit to pay that out.

Minimum wage in Australia is 14ish dollars. 10 dollars isn't a lot, but raising the minimum wage also means that prices would rise.

#10 Chaotix

Chaotix

Team Nerd

• Section Mods
  • 728 posts
  • NNID:Chaot1x
  • Fandom:

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

Where I live the mininum wage just rose to $10.00 an hour only because the cost of living here is expensive as ****!

eEG8Ies.png

#11 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

It would only cause inflation and the extra expense would cause them to lay off workers who aren't entirely necessary in order to maximize their profit.

Raising the wage will only help in the short run, but it will only hurt in the long run.

The more we get paid the higher the prices of stuff goes because money becomes worth less. This is short sighted fix to a problem that will never go away.

Exactly.  The corresponding accelerated pace for the required interest rate increase without a real GDP increase would undermine the path taken to plug the economy through the Fed's credit easing (the exact same action as QE, except the Fed is expanding its asset portion of the balance sheet, where as the central bank in Japan expanded the liability portion primarily). 

The real problem, as noted by this article, is the lack of higher wage jobs in the economy. 

Selective reasoning needs to be eliminated by both conservative and liberal news sources. 

#12 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

Up here in Canada it's between 9-10 dollars as well

Looks like america is lagging behind the rest of the developed world yet again...

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#13 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:32 AM

Aha, it's $16.37 in 'Straya.

'Straya wins yet again.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#14 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:32 AM

so I get more than $7.50 an hour now?! yesss

I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#15 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

Aha, it's $16.37 in 'Straya.
'Straya wins yet again.

That explains why everyhting costs so much there.

#16 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

That explains why everyhting costs so much there.

No, only electronics cost a lot here. And we can buy them online for massive savings anyway.

'Straya wins again.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#17 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

No, only electronics cost a lot here. And we can buy them online for massive savings anyway.

'Straya wins again.

Wins what?

Edited by Big Boss, 06 January 2014 - 08:26 PM.

#18 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

Up here in Canada it's between 9-10 dollars as well

Looks like america is lagging behind the rest of the developed world yet again...

You have no idea. The problem is that too many Americans happily eat up the utter BS that's flung at them without every learning themselves. People have VERY warped ideas of how the economy actually works. In terms of inequality and meritocracy America is the bottom of the developed world. A few myths that the wealthy controlled media likes to promote:

1) Raising the minimum wage causes inflation. This is utter BS. Inflation is the devaluing of currency, usually by adding more individual pieces of currency in to the economy IE there are more dollars in circulation than before. This isn't what minimum wage does, it moves around dollars but doesn't create more dollars.

2) Minimum wage forces prices to skyrocket. Not true. Raising minimum wage gives more spending money to the bottom of the barrel earners which in turn increases demand for products businesses provide. America is a consumer based economy, that means it is reliant on people buying stuff. The problem is that when you don't pay your labor enough to live off of and they happen to also be your consumers then they can't buy your products.

3) Businesses can't afford to pay their workers any more. Completely false. Forty years ago, someone starting at their first job at minimum wage with zero experience was making around 11 or so dollars when accounted for current inflation. They were also about half as productive so therefore they weren't making their respective company as much money as a worker of today. In other words, back then companies were paying more, getting less, and they got by just fine.

4) Minimum wage jobs are only for teenagers and the elderly. Today in the US a huge chunk of minimum wage workers are well in to adulthood and middle aged. Why? Many were laid off or lose business during the current recession and have been forced to take on additional work. Also it's statistically impossible for every person to be in a middle management position or own their own business. There will always ALWAYS be people on the bottom rung of the job ladder and they need to live too, so you can either demand that the businesses who employ them, and who are reaping the benefits of the labor, to pay their employees a livable wage or you can supplement their income as the taxpayer.

Edited by Azure-Edge, 06 January 2014 - 08:51 PM.

pNgecl.gif

#19 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

Wins what?

Wins having the highest minimum wage.