Photo

Was Nintendo wrong... what is the consumer saying?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

This is not a Wii U doomed article i just really want you guys opinion. Now i know nintendo makes consoles based on what they believed and they have said they dont follow Sony and Microsoft. So if you have been living under a rock the ps4 and xb1 are selling lot hotcakes. The consoles are the exact opposite for the most part of what the Wii U is. More powerful, Bigger(physical size), and more exspensive. So what gives why are they selling and the Wii U is not at least like i think it should. Is it just marketing... or are the consumer telling Nintendo they are ok with paying  more and getting more.

you thoughts?

#2 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

Besides the natural bias against Nintendo as a babby console, there just aren't that many games on the Wii U that appeal to the core audience.

Also stuff about third parties and whatnot.

Also we're dealing with people who care about pretty graphics who aren't smart enough to operate a PC outside the realm of Facebook.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#3 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

Besides the natural bias against Nintendo as a babby console, there just aren't that many games on the Wii U that appeal to the core audience.

Also we're dealing with people who care about pretty graphics who aren't smart enough to operate a PC outside the realm of Facebook.

so is it enough to make Nintendo change their ways? like a 500 dollar console is selling better than your console. It almost seems like a slap in the face. i just wonder what Nintendo mindset is right now looking at the numbers and how the ps4 has outsold the Wii U in NA already in 3 months.

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

Hot cakes eh?
Last I looked the Wii U had a higher install base than either of the other two current gen consoles.

The consumer is saying they like games.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

Hot cakes eh?
Last I looked the Wii U had a higher install base than either of the other two current gen consoles.

Well i knew someone would post something like this. 3 months in and the ps4 has outsold Wii U in NA. How much longer do you think that install base lead is going to last. with 3dworld and a two hundred dollard difference the xbox one outsold it in america for december. I am not here to bash Wii U because i have one and love it... but numbers like these shouldnt be ignored.

Edited by GAMER1984, 16 January 2014 - 07:26 PM.

#6 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

I like room temperature cake. Mmm. Happier with my Wii U than I have been with a console in ages. Those idiot can say whatever. Frak em.

#7 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

Wii U - "The Pitch" Commercial: Kids Edition

619ae1e537a52941dcecb153e4ddc76f.jpg?ito

nintendo-wii-u-why-we-need-wii-u-small-3

Nintendo pretty much has to turn to the audience of kids out there to boost their sales. But parents will still probably ask "I thought you have a Wii" all thanks to Nintendo's bold idea to slap a "U" at the end of "Wii" and not understand that people prefer numbers to identify with something new like PS4, Iron Man 3, iPhone 5, etc.

#8 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

I think they've just had piss-poor marketing. That's the main problem.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#9 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

I think they've just had piss-poor marketing. That's the main problem.

so assuming the marketing sky rockets thats it it should survive and thrive if it picks up?

#10 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

so assuming the marketing sky rockets thats it it should survive and thrive if it picks up?

Not exactly, the marketing would have to coincide with big game releases.

I don't know about America, but I haven't seen one Wii U ad in Australia since the console launched.

Nobody apart from gamers know about it.

Edited by R00bot, 16 January 2014 - 09:01 PM.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#11 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

Nintendo pretty much has to turn to the audience of kids out there to boost their sales. But parents will still probably ask "I thought you have a Wii" all thanks to Nintendo's bold idea to slap a "U" at the end of "Wii" and not understand that people prefer numbers to identify with something new like PS4, Iron Man 3, iPhone 5, etc.

Yeah but Wii 2 is much more of a stupid name then Wii U. Wii U is a entire different from the Wii (ok not much, but I find the name fits.)

Stupid Snowmads!

#12 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:53 PM

Seems like when I read the comments on articles after a Nintendo/Wii U article- I see lots of people saying, "I'll buy a Wii U when the new Zelda comes out...." or when Smash Bros. comes out.... or when Mario Kart comes out....And I think Donkey Kong, maybe not in and of itself, but will also add to the case for a Wii U. Let's see how sales are in June.

Hot cakes eh?

#13 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:
    BF4-pc,GTA-360,Splinter cell-pc

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:35 PM

Well looking at the just released earnings or massive lack of Nintendo better do something to appeal more. Investors are going to hit the roof this time.
Posted Image

Add me on Miiverse !! I'm from England but the world is a lot smaller online!

#14 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:53 AM

There are numerous factors, not just one or two, that's led the Wii U to where it is now. I won't be able to name them all, surely there's gonna be some things I have missed, but I'll try to get as many of them out there.

1) Successor to the Wii

The Wii was a massive hit, and showed Nintendo is definitely capable of reaching out to every audience. It became an anyone can play this game type of device. But this is just one part of the poor sales. Nintendo went into the Wii U with the same mindset as the Wii, hoping to capitalise on the casual market they established in the previous gen. They decided to keep backwards compatibility as well, which is both a blessing and a curse. This isn't about the games, but the peripherals. If a person sees Wii U advertisements with one gamepad and four wii motes, of course the misconceptions of what is and isn't are going to arise.

More on the gaming side of things, they were able to create unique experiences using a motion control interface. However the system was so underpowered that unless you invested a helluva lot of time into getting the best out of it you weren't going to. Most of the big hit sellers missed out on the Wii because it was going to push teams well out of the time limit of what they were given (opinion). There's also the terrible net connectivity (except Goldeneye 007 and I don't know how they did that).

What has that got to do with the Wii U? Mentality. The successor of the Wii isn't something to masturbate over. At launch, you still had tons of people content with their PS3's and XBOX 360's. Even with research, you'd find that a lot of what was being lined up for launch wasn't anything too special. I suppose the same could be said for PS4 though, however it's coming off, from a gamer's concept of quality core titles point of view, an amazing PS3 career. (Not just shoot em ups guys, I mean the large number of action, adventure, fighting, racing and rpgs of all types as well).

Point is, the majority of people have already developed at the last gen that Nintendo can't cover nearly as many bases as the other two were able to. The only thing that Wii excelled at well above the rest was quality couch experiences. The Wii U's announcement was never going to be the sudden dismissal of that mentality. The Wii might have sold a ton, but how many of those are currently dust covered cabinet hoggers? Mine isn't, but it's not in a cabinet. Still dust covered.

2) Third Party Support

For many, this is a major point. The Wii U for many is mainly bought for the First Party games, but it technically should be powerful enough to run a lot of the other games it is missing out on. So why? Here's a prime opportunity for a console that can be everything has wanted for a long time. So why? Is it Technicality, where the developers are having issues? Hate, because Nintendo isn't the greatest to conduct business with? A lack of understanding of the console, because that would certainly explain a few problems like missing DLC and games.

But while I could speculate for hours on end, it doesn't change the fact that the Wii U has already proven it can't handle Third Party support. You don't see the Wii U logo lined up with multiplats all the time, and people take notice. No one wants to buy half the game on the Wii U when they can get the full game on any other system. You could buy two consoles, and buy games on both, but when you're not so much in the money it's not really that feasible of an option, is it? I've already seen plenty of people on this forum and others where they are more than happy to have them all, but they don't have the moolah to do it.

3) Marketing

Okay, for me, this is the assassin of the whole Wii U Campaign. You make a product, you need to sell it to make money. I'm with R00bot on this one. Living in Australia, there are next to no ads for the Wii U outside retailers. I've seen PS4 and XBOX ONE plastered all over the TV and bus panels, but mate, for the whole year head start the Wii U had, nothing. Absolute zip. The Wii U has effectively been reduced to one section of EB Games, JB Hi Fi and Target, while the Playstation and XBOX sections are about three times as large. Oh yeah, the Wii sections seemed to have merged with the Wii U section as well.

I can't even comment on ad quality because there are none. None that sell anyway. 15 second segments aren't that great of a sell. They just get drowned heavily between those ads that show the effects of smoking, and the ads that show the effects of drink driving. Which do you think people will pay attention to the most? Sure as hell ain't 10 seconds of Super Mario 3D World.

And after all that, Iwata has the balls to say "I'm happy". I'm confused to what this means, since last time he ended paying out of his own pocket. I'm guessing it's the other meaning.

4) The Software

The software they've made has been great. Unfortunately, the kind of software they make tends to target the same audience over and over. They hardly deviate from the kid/manchildren catering style in their games, and when that's all you're offering on the system so far, of course any other audience is alienated. If they had that third party support up front and in total they wouldn't have this problem. But they do and the only way they are gonna fix it is if they make games that cater otherwise, or get their third party support game back up. While I don't think they'll honestly do either, even if they did manage one, the other or both, that still doesn't mean people are gonna flock to the Wii U.

5) The Competition

They've stated before they care less for what the competition is doing. They should. It's competition. If it wasn't then we wouldn't be discussing this because it would be a monopoly. The hardware comparisons are in, the third party support levels are in, the future is clearly written. Saying things like "we don't care" is like saying "even if our competition is doing better, we won't change to be better than them". People have never wanted to hear this kind of crap ever.

But more on the competition, do you know what Playstation used as a slogan? "This is for the players" And what direction did XBOX take? "Welcome to the Next Generation". If I was a consumer looking to buy anything, I would seriously consider whoever is the edgiest. The Wii U had something like "There's we, and you". That's a fairly weak grab at any potential audience compared to the other two.

---

I'm gonna conclude answering the OP's question. People are content with paying for more if they think they are getting more. The Wii U didn't deliver at launch, and with a whole year to fix that ahead of the competition, still haven't. People are still confused, people are still waiting for a compelling game to their tastes, people still wants to see an ad that says "Oh look, I actually want it now".

As for Nintendo changing things up, it's within their potential. But it's gonna take a little more than a price drop to go ahead and do that. People aren't gonna fall for the cheapest dust angel again.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#15 K-Dawg

K-Dawg

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:41 AM

I agree that the initial marketing of the WiiU or lack there of was the reason for dismal sales initially but also honestly feel that the WiiU sales will begin to rise in 2014. The WiiU gives the best of both worlds. You get 1st party games like Mario, Zelda etc. and now get solid 3rd party titles such as Assassins Creed, Mass Effect etc. And the HD graphics on the WiiU are outstanding. Not far off from PS4 & XBOX1. In the fact 1080p resolution and 60fps frame rate of the WiiU are better than the current titles offered by both competitors and their new models. Nintendo does have its own following but I think you will eventually see some MS and Sony heads crossover to the WiiU side once they see that it makes sense. Many have already mentioned that they like the game play of some games much better on the WiiU than they do on the other two platforms and pc. They also like the use of the gamepad as an added dimension for aiding you in certain games. Maps, weaponry etc.

I believe WiiU will become more iconic than its predecessor in time. The key words are "in time".

As an added bonus to prospective buyers...wii all get backwards compatibility. This renders our current wii game library alive and usable while rendering the libraries of PS3 and Xbox 360 games dead and obsolete to the new systems. You must keep the old console to play old games. So why didn't Sony and Microsoft make their new dog houses backwards compatible? Easy. To force you to buy and play new games and ONLY new games. Its all about marketing and increased profits.

These are just my opinions. Only time will truly tell.

Here is an ad placed on craigslist. Is this guy crossing over? Hmmm makes you wonder...

trade my xbox 1 for wii u (columbus)
Reply to Ad
post id: 4255103310
posted: 2013-12-22 10:47am
♥ best of
I have a two wk old obox 1 looking to trade for wii u i have digital copy of BF4 premium i need cash back or enough games to make it even trade my total cost is $610.00 txt me 
post id: 4255103310
posted: 2013-12-22 10:47am

#16 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:23 AM

It's that controller plus not having games for a big amount of time. Seriously even if you love the gamepad(which I do) it doesn't seem to change anything on to play a game and they don't seem to know what to do with it.

I would have opted out just making a traditional controller and make the game pad a secondary thing or just get rid of it completely. Their marketing would have been so much better since well they don't know what to do with that pad.

Edited by LinkKennedy, 17 January 2014 - 05:23 AM.

#17 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:40 AM

It's that controller plus not having games for a big amount of time. Seriously even if you love the gamepad(which I do) it doesn't seem to change anything on to play a game and they don't seem to know what to do with it.

I would have opted out just making a traditional controller and make the game pad a secondary thing or just get rid of it completely. Their marketing would have been so much better since well they don't know what to do with that pad.

Agreed, I wonder how much they could have cut the cost on the console without the gamepad, and the necessary hardware to be able to stream to it. Or instead improve on the wiimotes, that would have been great.

#18 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

I think the controller is one of the coolest aspects of the system!  I LOVE being able to play offline, especially when watching baseball/sports.

#19 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

I think the controller is one of the coolest aspects of the system!  I LOVE being able to play offline, especially when watching baseball/sports.

I agree, I like the controller and the internet browser is awesome on it but I feel like the Vita with Sony, Nintendo doesn't know how to sell that remote(system).

#20 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

Yeah but Wii 2 is much more of a stupid name then Wii U. Wii U is a entire different from the Wii (ok not much, but I find the name fits.)

Why is Wii 2 a stupid name? It's simple and it cannot possibly confuse even the most stupid of consumers. Common sense dictates that a higher number typically translates to newer and/or better than the previous product.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!