Photo

Was Nintendo wrong... what is the consumer saying?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#81 Merky Water

Merky Water

Motion Shooter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Contra, Mario Kart

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:25 AM

Gamers who want a Wii U but have not bought one yet are given no real reason by Nintendo to buy the Wii U.

Donkey Kong, Wii Fit U and Wii Party U won't get those gamers to open up their wallets and purchase a Wii U, it's games like Star Fox, Metroid, Fzero, a new Zelda, Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros that will do that.

For sure!  And I think at least one of these titles should have hit exactly a year in.  So MK8's a bit late, but what can ya do.

The rest is a far more gloomy outlook of a possibly jaded gamer and not the experience I've had at all.  I'm sorry you didn't get what you wanted.  But I'm one of those who owns but one current gen console and I'm loving it.  The 'drought' may affect Nintendo's ability to bring new customers in, but I'm not left wanting with the current library out nor from those on the horizon.  The games you listed that some are waiting for will be the next calls to the system in my estimation as well.  I'd imigine for some it's similar to how the PS4 looks like something I might get down the road... when a game(s) calls me in.

Merky-Banner_zpsfd81fed3.png

#82 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

(Note: There is a third edit)

I'm not saying a few games will save Nintendo. I'm saying games will save Nintendo's Wii U. Not game. Not five games. Not ten games. But many games.

Yes, there is probably another drought of two months with no game release. Isn't that bad? That's a big reason the Wii U stopped selling. Most of it's sales came at launch. When there were games to buy. But then the games stopped coming.

And hardware is important. Nintendo couldn't release a 16 bit machine and expect it to sell like hotcakes. Just like Sony can't sell a console with no games. But Nintendo's Wii U is capable of beautiful graphics. X proves that.

And thank you for name calling. I haven't told you that your ignorant, nor have I used the words"pig ignorance" to describe you. In fact, I have defended you when people call you negative things and negative comments.

:/

If the Wii U is going to end up being a successful product for Nintendo, then I think it will take all of their major AAA titles to bring the gamers in and drive up the install base. At the end of the day all Nintendo have got left in the locker are their games, their games saved the 3DS which had a similarly diffcult start to its life cycle, I just hope for Nintendo's sake that the same thing happens to the Wii U.

As for the name calling, I apologise to you, it was deeply unwarranted and for that I am sorry. I've thoroughly enjoyed our debates and I hope we are able to clash swords in the future.

For sure!  And I think at least one of these titles should have hit exactly a year in.  So MK8's a bit late, but what can ya do.

The rest is a far more gloomy outlook of a possibly jaded gamer and not the experience I've had at all.  I'm sorry you didn't get what you wanted.  But I'm one of those who owns but one current gen console and I'm loving it.  The 'drought' may affect Nintendo's ability to bring new customers in, but I'm not left wanting with the current library out nor from those on the horizon.  The games you listed that some are waiting for will be the next calls to the system in my estimation as well.  I'd imigine for some it's similar to how the PS4 looks like something I might get down the road... when a game(s) calls me in.

I'm not jaded at all.

As I say I am currently achievement hunting on Dishonored and having a blast doing so. I'm also half-way through Metro Last Light which is a brilliant and engrossing FPS and I'm enjoying Empire Total War, though I wish it had more grinding like a traditional RTS game.

I'm also playing my 3DS XL with Mario Kart 7, Mario Tennis Open, Bravely Default and Fire Emblem Awakening keeping me occupied at the moment and I'm hopefully going to get Tales of the Abyss and A link between worlds before too long and that will tide me over until Mario Kart 8 hits the shelves at the end of May.

I am as hungry as ever to video game, the 3DS XL is fast becoming my favourite console ever alongside the N64. I think it's brilliant and I'm really excited for the future releases, I'm chomping at the bit to get my grubby mits on Shin Megami Tensei IV which still doesn't have a European release date.

I'd like to use my Wii U more often, but I've played the hell out of the Wonderful 101, completed it three times no less, I've played Rayman Legends to death, Sonic Racing Transformed just hasn't hit the right notes for me, I've completed Wind Waker HD and I grew bored of Super Mario 3D World because I find that game more enjoyable in the company of friends and family.

I will more than likely buy two games for the Wii U this year; Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros (unless Smash is released next year because of a delay). If Bayonetta 2 comes out this year then that makes 3 games, but this will be the first time in years that I've only bought less than a handful of games for a console.

It doesn't represent great value for money imo. When I buy a product for entertainment purposes that product needs to meet that purpose, the Wii U at the moment and since October really hasn't been doing that.

I was thinking given Nintendo's success in the handheld market may be it would be better for Nintendo to leave the home console market and focus solely on the handheld market.

The devices will be cheaper to manufacturer, there wouldn't be game droughts because Nintendo would only have one system to focus their effort, money and time on, the games require less unit sales to make an overall net profit and Nintendo has the market virtually to themselves.

#83 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

If the Wii U is going to end up being a successful product for Nintendo, then I think it will take all of their major AAA titles to bring the gamers in and drive up the install base. At the end of the day all Nintendo have got left in the locker are their games, their games saved the 3DS which had a similarly diffcult start to its life cycle, I just hope for Nintendo's sake that the same thing happens to the Wii U.

As for the name calling, I apologise to you, it was deeply unwarranted and for that I am sorry. I've thoroughly enjoyed our debates and I hope we are able to clash swords in the future.

I'm not jaded at all.

As I say I am currently achievement hunting on Dishonored and having a blast doing so. I'm also half-way through Metro Last Light which is a brilliant and engrossing FPS and I'm enjoying Empire Total War, though I wish it had more grinding like a traditional RTS game.

I'm also playing my 3DS XL with Mario Kart 7, Mario Tennis Open, Bravely Default and Fire Emblem Awakening keeping me occupied at the moment and I'm hopefully going to get Tales of the Abyss and A link between worlds before too long and that will tide me over until Mario Kart 8 hits the shelves at the end of May.

I am as hungry as ever to video game, the 3DS XL is fast becoming my favourite console ever alongside the N64. I think it's brilliant and I'm really excited for the future releases, I'm chomping at the bit to get my grubby mits on Shin Megami Tensei IV which still doesn't have a European release date.

I'd like to use my Wii U more often, but I've played the hell out of the Wonderful 101, completed it three times no less, I've played Rayman Legends to death, Sonic Racing Transformed just hasn't hit the right notes for me, I've completed Wind Waker HD and I grew bored of Super Mario 3D World because I find that game more enjoyable in the company of friends and family.

I will more than likely buy two games for the Wii U this year; Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros (unless Smash is released next year because of a delay). If Bayonetta 2 comes out this year then that makes 3 games, but this will be the first time in years that I've only bought less than a handful of games for a console.

It doesn't represent great value for money imo. When I buy a product for entertainment purposes that product needs to meet that purpose, the Wii U at the moment and since October really hasn't been doing that.

I was thinking given Nintendo's success in the handheld market may be it would be better for Nintendo to leave the home console market and focus solely on the handheld market.

The devices will be cheaper to manufacturer, there wouldn't be game droughts because Nintendo would only have one system to focus their effort, money and time on, the games require less unit sales to make an overall net profit and Nintendo has the market virtually to themselves.

No problem man. We've all said things we shouldn't have.

I'm not sure what your definition of success is. Mine is simply making money overall. I believe Nintendo will do that with the Wii U. I also firmly believe by the end of the Wii U's life - five to seven years - the Wii U could easily hit seventy million units.

I know you probably think I'm crazy optimistic - maybe I am - however, consider this. Yes, the Wii U was out for an entire year before everyone else and they wasted that time. They could of had a whole library of hit games. They failed.

But, they now have a few more must have games more than Sony or Microsoft. All they need to do is make sure the end of this year - post E3 - we have a steady stream of games. Which, Nintendo can do that easily.

The key is they have to keep that up. They can't have a good stream of games until after Christmas, then slow down like they are now. Even if it's one game a month, they need to keep the releases coming. Getting multiplats could help.

So, we shall see what they will do and what happens.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!