Photo

Rumor: Up To 14 New Characters Coming To Super Smash Bros. 4?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dankey Kang

Dankey Kang

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:
    Coding and Gaming!

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:22 AM

20130613042343Super_Smash_Bros_4_merged_

I’ve never been much of a snooper on websites, but today, I think I’ve come across something very interesting that might just be true:

I’ve been monitoring the Smash Bros. 4 site for a long time now, but if you check out the full site, you’ll see that all the character slots are taken, or so you might think…

OCTHcxj-e1391219038671-1024x575.png?resi

I looked at the bottom of the official Smash Bros. 4 site where all the character copyright’s were and I saw a peculiar company name. Who you might ask? ©Creatures Inc. that’s who! Creatures Inc. was formerly known as Ape Inc. and was involved in the development of the first two games in the Mother franchise as well as Pokemon X/Y, Pokemon Emerald, PokéPark, and some other lesser-known Pokemon titles. Back to the story. If you take a look at the current Smash Bros. 4 character roster and compare it to Creature Inc.’s wiki, you’ll see that no characters from games they’ve developed are present in it. The only thing that I’ve seen so far is Xerneas from the Pokemon X/Y game (who isn’t playable at the moment):

smash-bros-wii-u-xerneas.jpg?resize=600%

If you’re completely lost right now, take another look at the list of names that I posted near the beginning of the article and read closely beside the characters list. Seeing Creature Inc.’s name got me thinking. Every other company name in that list has a playable character. Where is Creature Inc’s? Now think about it. As I mentioned before, Creature Inc. was one of the developers working on the Mother series (and Earthbound) which featured Ness and Lucas among other characters. Ness has been in all of the previous Smash Bros. games and Lucas was newly introduced in Brawl, so it wouldn’t be too hard to believe that the characters from the franchises would make another appearance, would it? But wait, all the character slots are taken:

1XBNz8h.png?resize=670%2C376

If you DID think all the character slots were incorrect, think again! In your browser, open a new tab and head to the Smash Bros. 4 official site and zoom out as far as possible. It should look something like this:

9sOgkQ2.png?resize=670%2C376

That’s enough blank space for at least 14 more characters!

If you test zooming in a bit, you’ll see that the website automatically adjusts the characters to the size of the browser, so why isn’t it adjusting when I zoom out all the way? The answer is pretty simple. There aren’t enough characters to fill up the space! Just another reason why it might mean that not all the characters have been introduced as yet. Keep in mind though, this is only a rumor.

Of course, 14 characters would be overkill right? Well I do recall Masahiro Sakurai saying this:

“The reality of the situation unfortunately is that there are certain limitations on the 3DS,” Sakurai said. The 3DS and Wii U versions of the next Smash Bros will have the same library of characters.

“So we’re forced into the situation where we may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree, but we’re really working hard in order to include as many characters as possible.”

So maybe it will be a few newcomer-sized blocks (the width of 3 returning character-sized boxes) mixed in with the normal ones. What do you think about this rumor? The chances are very slim, but hey, with Nintendo, anything is possible!

Edited by AlwaysNinty, 01 February 2014 - 03:25 AM.

AlwaysNintendoLogo-e1402524089702.png

Check out Always Nintendo! It's your daily dose of Wii U and Nintendo 3DS news!

#2 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:18 AM

This thread lmfao.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#3 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:23 AM

This thread lmfao.

Hey now, be nice Zinix.

As for the rumour, eh, it's possible. That'd put the character count at roughly 36. That's one less than Brawl. While that does fit in with what Sakurai said about trying to make the game more balanced and fun rather than adding lots more characters, I still doubt they would release a sequel with less content, the backlash from consumers could be bad (then again, Forza on the XBO got away with it fine, and it halved the content). So I'd say this is 40/60, there's a fair chance you're right, but there's also a lot working against the rumour.

Also, I wonder if they would include both Ness and Lucas, since they were about as clone-y as it gets. 

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#4 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:38 AM

36 characters is not enough. The quote from Sakurai about the amount of characters actually reads as followed:

“It isn’t a matter of ‘if the next game has 50 characters, that’ll be enough.’ There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive.

“In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. I think a change of direction may be what’s needed.”

This suggests that if anything Sakurai is thinking of 50 characters, perhaps being the limit. The new game will have more characters than Brawl. At the very least, I think we will have the character roster of Brawl, with a few newcomers - the characters confirmed already seem to back this judgement up. Toon Link in particular, but Lucario's announcement yesterday made me think back to this quote of Sakurai:

“Whether it’s a minor character or a character that is one of the most highly skilled and most played, if that character is removed from the game, the people who live for that character in Smash Bros. are going to have their feelings hurt.”

Sakurai is very wary of getting rid of characters, mix that in with the quote above of 50 characters (I know slightly taken out of context), and I think we'll be seeing at least 45 characters in the new Smash Bros.

Bring the noise.

#5 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:59 AM

Except Lucario is readily available in X/Y. That and the Pokeball item is enough to get them mentioned.

#6 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

I think that it has more to do with website design so that all the character icons don't get squeezed onto one line.  Plus, not all the icons are the same size.

#7 Ledo Jaeger

Ledo Jaeger

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • NNID:Aarony

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

Part of me worries that the roster number compared to Brawl will be not that much better...

I didn't even like Lucario in Brawl so him being back, to me, just means one less spot for something better...I'd so take Mewtwo back over Lucario

In other words, I love you

#8 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

5a6VbU3.png

Nope, no more characters confirmed for smash.

794144.png?13383682

#9 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

lol wii fit.

I wonder how they will go down.

It would be cool if they did free dlc to add characters to it, but i doubt they will

youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#10 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:34 PM

you know it can loop around into a 3rd row right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!