• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

I know we all have heard this before. That all Nintendo needs is that one killer app that will save. I've mentioned in the past that a combination of Mario, DK, Mario Kart, and Super Smash could (and still will) save the Wii U.

However, I've had this idea EVER since Nintendo announced the GamePad has NFC AND I realized what Skylanders is. If your not connecting the dot ... Let me do it for you.

Pokemon. The game that saved the GameBoy back in the day. Could do the same for the Wii U. It be a perfect game to take control of the GamePad. You can use it for inventory, menus or even A-Symmetrical Game Play. Using the NFC, and a combination of Pokemon cards that have NFC chips in them, you could call upon a Pokemon with the card. Just like Skylanders.

Better yet, since they are now willing to work with third party on their IP, why not work with Activision on this game? They could help bring new life jn that series. Both the trading card game and video game.

What do you guys think?
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#2 Chaos

Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • NNID:ChaoticPikachu
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

I don't think Nintendo needs saving. They are leading the console wars in terms of income. They have made more money than Microsoft and Playstation combined.

#3 nbond3040

nbond3040

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Fandom:
    Code Geass,Minecraft

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

I disagree that Nintendo needs to be saved and that this will be a killer app I think it would sell well and would be a must have game if you already have a Wii U, but I don't think people would rush to stores just to buy this game. Also I think that the future of any card game on any console will be more like Hearthstone where it's free to play, but you can buy card packs virtually.

Edited by nbond3040, 02 February 2014 - 12:46 PM.

#4 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

As great as Pokémon sounds for that purpose, truth is there would be too many cards/dolls to buy and i don`t think parents would like it.

But, what if you had a Nintendo crossover title where each figurine/card would allow for more levels? LIke a DLC but in physical form.
This could work in the form of Nintendo Land 2 or... OR an adventure game like Skylanders/Disney Infinity.

You could even include characters from other non Nintendo franchises for special levels. Characters like Sonic, Megaman, Rayman, Snake (Smash influence!).

Honestly i think a Skylanders/DI type of game - which kids already love - would be the best idea to not only introduce kids to franchises but to actually show them how they play!

#5 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

Animal Crossing could save the Wii U.  It could work well with NFC items. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#6 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

Nintendo doesn't need saving, but the Wii U most certainly does.

The launch and the year head start has been a disaster and now Nintendo will have to rely on the software to drive up sales. Reggie is right when he says that software sells hardware, but where is the software?

Now Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is coming out this month and that's fantastic, but it will be three more months until another big game comes out. We've heard nothing about the next Zelda, we've heard nothing about SMTXFE, X and Yarn Yoshi.

Super Smash Bros roster isn't even finished yet with Lucario being announced in the last few days.

Nintendo need to get these games out and I'm delighted that Iwata has said that Nintendo plans on adding more studios to Nintendo because with a lack of third party support and two hardware platforms to sustain, Nintendo needs as many studios as it can get to prevent droughts like the one that engulfed with the Wii U for the first 8 months of its lifecycle.

#7 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

As great as Pokémon sounds for that purpose, truth is there would be too many cards/dolls to buy and i don`t think parents would like it.

But, what if you had a Nintendo crossover title where each figurine/card would allow for more levels? LIke a DLC but in physical form.
This could work in the form of Nintendo Land 2 or... OR an adventure game like Skylanders/Disney Infinity.

You could even include characters from other non Nintendo franchises for special levels. Characters like Sonic, Megaman, Rayman, Snake (Smash influence!).

Honestly i think a Skylanders/DI type of game - which kids already love - would be the best idea to not only introduce kids to franchises but to actually show them how they play!

That's what I am talking about. A Pokemon game, but designed like Skylanders. And maybe if you work with Activision combine Pokemon and Skylanders. That would be awesome.

And I don't even like Pokemon, nor the card game, but this game sounds fun and I think Nintendo could get their trading card game back up and running full steam ahead with kids and they'd want to play the game too.

Nintendo doesn't need saving, but the Wii U most certainly does.

The launch and the year head start has been a disaster and now Nintendo will have to rely on the software to drive up sales. Reggie is right when he says that software sells hardware, but where is the software?

Now Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is coming out this month and that's fantastic, but it will be three more months until another big game comes out. We've heard nothing about the next Zelda, we've heard nothing about SMTXFE, X and Yarn Yoshi.

Super Smash Bros roster isn't even finished yet with Lucario being announced in the last few days.

Nintendo need to get these games out and I'm delighted that Iwata has said that Nintendo plans on adding more studios to Nintendo because with a lack of third party support and two hardware platforms to sustain, Nintendo needs as many studios as it can get to prevent droughts like the one that engulfed with the Wii U for the first 8 months of its lifecycle.

So, on topic, do you think the Pokemon/Skylanders game is a good idea or bad?

#8 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

Nah, gamefreak don't want to make a console pokemon game.
Also, cards would be pay 2 win, that will make the game a piece of rainbow.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#9 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • NNID:Savoir
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

Also, cards would be pay 2 win, that will make the game a piece of carp.

Sometimes I feel like they don't have the ability to make a console Pokemon game. They're really not very good developers from what I can tell. 

"So if Zero Suit Samus is fanbait for guys, where is the fanbait for girls? Why isn’t Captain Falcon wearing a thong or sporting a chest twice the size of his last model? Why doesn’t Mario have an absurd crotch buldge holding in his 10 inch slice of manhood? Why doesn’t Yoshi look like a Fist of the North Starcharacter.

That, my friends, is why the design is sexist."~Angelo M. D'Argenio-4/17/2014

"Yes, because owning only 1 game in this series makes you qualified to have an opinion on it"~PyroKinesis-5/7/2014

"He is a game dev, critic, games media writer, and candidate for a phd by the way. So, LMFAO."~3Dude 9/4/2014

#10 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

Sometimes I feel like they don't have the ability to make a console Pokemon game. They're really not very good developers from what I can tell.

Don't stereotype Japanese developers, it makes you look unintelligent.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#11 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

Don't stereotype Japanese developers, it makes you look unintelligent.

I'm talking about Gamefreak. According to Wikipedia they haven't even made a console game since 1999. The first 3D Pokémon games were outsourced. I personally like Pokémon a lot but Gamefreak has made a ton of mistakes in the games(which are pretty much their only reason for existing) and are very slow to correct them.

Edited by Symphony, 02 February 2014 - 03:52 PM.

"So if Zero Suit Samus is fanbait for guys, where is the fanbait for girls? Why isn’t Captain Falcon wearing a thong or sporting a chest twice the size of his last model? Why doesn’t Mario have an absurd crotch buldge holding in his 10 inch slice of manhood? Why doesn’t Yoshi look like a Fist of the North Starcharacter.

"Yes, because owning only 1 game in this series makes you qualified to have an opinion on it"~PyroKinesis-5/7/2014

"He is a game dev, critic, games media writer, and candidate for a phd by the way. So, LMFAO."~3Dude 9/4/2014

#12 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

Putting A Pokemon game on console will be a hit no matter what. Just imagine a Pokemon mmo, utilizing the Nintendo Network, it would be glorious. That would be enough to move a bunch of systems.

#13 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

That's what I am talking about. A Pokemon game, but designed like Skylanders. And maybe if you work with Activision combine Pokemon and Skylanders. That would be awesome.

And I don't even like Pokemon, nor the card game, but this game sounds fun and I think Nintendo could get their trading card game back up and running full steam ahead with kids and they'd want to play the game too.

So, on topic, do you think the Pokemon/Skylanders game is a good idea or bad?

A mix? Don`t really think the characters and worlds would work together, but who knows.

Isn`t Pokémon Rangers an adventure game?

Now, what if Nintendo let Activision develop for a "little" favor in return? ;)

#14 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

Putting A Pokemon game on console will be a hit no matter what. Just imagine a Pokemon mmo, utilizing the Nintendo Network, it would be glorious. That would be enough to move a bunch of systems.

Ok guys you need to Calm Down with this karp. A Pokémon MMO would be a horrible idea. It's really one of the worst popular ideas I've seen.

#15 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

Pokemon. The game that saved the GameBoy back in the day. 

If I'm correct (pretty sure I am), Pokemon didn't save the Game Boy. The GB was already a big success before Pokemon came out. It did boost sales a lot though, and I still get what you mean. Although I wouldn't like Activision working on a Pokemon game, doesn't seem right, and probably wouldn't end up that good. Maybe a Wii U exclusive Skylanders game?

#16 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

Ok guys you need to Calm Down with this karp. A Pokémon MMO would be a horrible idea. It's really one of the worst popular ideas I've seen.

PokéMMO is pretty fun.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#17 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

Also, cards would be pay 2 win, that will make the game a piece of carp.

Why would it be pay to win? Is the actual card game "pay to win" from my understanding it takes a while to get a good, rare Pokemon. I was given a whole 150 card set for my birthday when I was little but the set was full of weak cards.

If I'm correct (pretty sure I am), Pokemon didn't save the Game Boy. The GB was already a big success before Pokemon came out. It did boost sales a lot though, and I still get what you mean. Although I wouldn't like Activision working on a Pokemon game, doesn't seem right, and probably wouldn't end up that good. Maybe a Wii U exclusive Skylanders game?

I'll look into it, but there was a point where the sales of the hand held wasn't doing well. They then released Pokemon and it brought new life to the system. But it's been a while since I did the research. I had like a ten part video game history artile, talking about the start all the way to the GCN age. It's all lost now though.

#18 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

Why would it be pay to win? Is the actual card game "pay to win" from my understanding it takes a while to get a good, rare Pokemon. I was given a whole 150 card set for my birthday when I was little but the set was full of weak cards.

I'll look into it, but there was a point where the sales of the hand held wasn't doing well. They then released Pokemon and it brought new life to the system. But it's been a while since I did the research. I had like a ten part video game history artile, talking about the start all the way to the GCN age. It's all lost now though.

ebay.com

A card game is one thing, simply scanning a card's nfc into your game and having a very powerful pokemon is different.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#19 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

Tetris. Everyone and their Grandma had Tetris. In fact my Grandma has Tetris. I tried to beat her score but she barely ever let me play.

#20 chunter

chunter

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

agreed....

one awesome game.....

Nintendo Land revolutioned the way you use the gamepad with the zelda game mode.  Moving the gamepad around and feeling like you are in a virtual reality enviroment is amazing and amazes everyone I show.

Nintendo needs to keep doing that, and perhaps look for even more ways to revolutionize it.  But keep local multiplayer.

so, 2 things:

1. must have local multiplayer (that's why people buy nintendo)....

2.  use gamepad in amazing ways like nintendo land did in zelda mode....do more of that

I remember a long time ago....i went to davids and busters as a kid.  in the 90's.  they had a virtual reality machine....several....multiplayer....with the helmet, the whole deal....the game was so so, and the graphics were ok....but the feeling was incredible...i spent alot of time just looking down at myself and up in the air....just to see what would happen....it was the first time I felt totally immersed in a game....

I had that same feeling with nintendo land in zelda mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!