Photo

Wii U + EA's Origin? Valve trying to get into Wii U?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Nin10dude712

Nin10dude712

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Kirby

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:20 PM

http://wiiugo.com/ex...nline-strategy/

Surprised nobody has made a topic about this! This could be huge!

According to the rumor, EA is pushing Nintendo to have Origin (Steam's competitor) on the U and are aggressively pushing Nintendo so Wii U is exclusive to Origin. (I dont think it means origin will be the main online system on Wii U since I doubt Nintendo would give EA that much control over its online).

Valve sees this being potentially dangerous to them, so they are pushing for Steam on the U.

I think this can only go 3 ways if the rumor is true:
1. Wii U gets Origin and full support from EA because of it.
2. Wii U gets Steam, EA gets mad and drops Wii U support.
3. EA wont act like a baby and Wii U gets both Steam and Origin.

What Im curious about is how these services would be applied to the Wii U's online.

What do you all think?

Edited by Nin10dude712, 13 November 2011 - 11:55 PM.

Posted Image

Body = Ready for Wii U!

#2 nintendofanboy

nintendofanboy

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:07 AM

Nintendo won't give exclusivity to any network, but rather have one themselves, specially considering the wii u specs.

Edited by nintendofanboy, 06 December 2011 - 01:33 PM.

The long wait for the Wii U.......

#3 Nin10dude712

Nin10dude712

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Kirby

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:52 AM

Nintendo won't give exclusivity to any network, but rather have one themselves.

I know, and they will have their own. Steam/ Origin are just for digital distribution, and apparently EA's trying to make it so the Wii U goes Origin-only therefore having an advantage over Steam.

I imagine that Steam/ Origin on Wii U would work just like Steam does on PS3.

If this rumor is true, I think it's in Nintendo's best interest to work something out with EA, so they can have both Steam and Origin on Wii U. Even if it has to be Origin only for a few months, etc then so be it if it means they're getting Steam and full support from EA. I think the the priority should be to keep EA happy, because theyve been supporters of the Wii U, and have also actually put out games on Nintendo consoles, unlike Valve.

Edited by Nin10dude712, 14 November 2011 - 09:59 AM.

Posted Image

Body = Ready for Wii U!

#4 Pro Pizza! >:D

Pro Pizza! >:D

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

I hope steam and orgin would get on Wii U. I'd love to play Left 4 Dead and Battlefield on the console :P
I'm Nub Cakes! :D and I approve this signature... Kinda! :D
R.I.P. Nub Cakes! :D
5/31/11- 12/6/11

#5 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

We most likely won't get both. I believe Nintendo should go for EA. It's for Nintendo's best interests to keep EA happy.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#6 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

Origin would be better than Steam, in my opinion.

Mainly because everyone I know who has Steam are elitists, and I don't want to play with elitists. Too bossy and whiny and pro and always accusing me of ragequits when I need to go to bed and stuff.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#7 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:42 PM

I don't know enough about either to make a decision :(
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#8 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:01 PM

Steam is an online game centre, I guess. You pay money to them through an account to buy and download games. It's generally cheaper (?) than walking into a game store, I think. I don't use it myself, but I know that Valve uses it.

I guess if the Wii U didn't get Steam (not 100% sure) it wouldn't be getting games like Portal 2, Counter Strike or Team Fortress 2, or whatever else Valve does.

Origin is basically EA's steam.

AuzzieWingman.png

#9 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:11 PM

Origin would be better than Steam, in my opinion.

Mainly because everyone I know who has Steam are elitists, and I don't want to play with elitists. Too bossy and whiny and pro and always accusing me of ragequits when I need to go to bed and stuff.

I Have steam and I'm no elitist <_<
Seriously though, I'd prefer steam because of EA's tactic's that they have tried to use to make Origin become amazing

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#10 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:40 AM

there is so much not known about this console its funny. im looking forward to new info... but nintendo could have a winner on their hands. seems as if developers and gaming companies are excited. i believe nintendo is going to shock a lot of people and make this console geared more towards the mature player.

Edited by TRON, 15 November 2011 - 03:41 AM.

#11 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:00 AM

I think EA Origin could power Wii U Online. They could make it where every online games uses and is available on Origin that way the game use( whether it's disc or digital) Origins features for online (community, achievements and so on). And it won't necessary be bad for other developers because Nintendo would still control everything, and more likely share profit with EA for licensing Origin.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#12 giggity3000

giggity3000

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

Origins is horrible... if its Origin exclusive i am never getting Wii U

1367065580450s.jpg

#13 Randomite

Randomite

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

The one problem with EA (and I am basing this on my experience with my 360) is that they shut their servers down, sometimes a mere couple of months after the game has been released (Army of Two: The 40th Day springs to mind). They really need to do something to that in my opinion...

#14 Hyawatta

Hyawatta

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Fandom:
    Akuma, Vegita, Sesshomaru, Starscream

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:35 AM

I don't just want both; I want them all!

At least Valve is being reasonable. Nintendo should not give in to EA's push for exclusivity. Either have them both or just have Steam and retain the ability to allow other services to be on Wii U too. If the Wii U exclusively uses Origin, then that's it. No more flexibility. However, if it remains open, it can have Steam, OnLive, and any other service that wants to be on the Wii U. If we don’t get Steam it’ll be because Nintendo chose to give in to EA’s want for exclusivity. If we don’t get Origin, it’ll be because EA is trying to punish Nintendo for retaining their open structure and allowing Steam and other services to be on the Wii U.

The battles of digital warfare are fierce. This reminds me of when Gamestop took the OnLive coupons out of the retail versions of Deux Ex. I want to have all of these services available and not be forced into having limited options. I believe that Nintendo would completely redeem themselves in terms of online capability if they offered a variety of digital services that we could acquire our games from. Just imagine having the eShop, WiiWare, VirtualConsole, Steam, Origin, and OnLive all on the Nintendo Wii U.
Perfection Requires Eternity, therefore never be disappointed unless you lack the discipline to strive for it.

#15 Jumbo Worm

Jumbo Worm

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic, Earthworm Jim, Metroid

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:06 PM

Valve and Nintendo? That would be awesome! Nintendo knows that for the Wii U's online to succeed, they need to have great digital services. Steam would help significantly.
Posted Image

#16 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:15 AM

-

Edited by BazzDropperz, 14 July 2014 - 12:31 AM.

#17 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:12 AM

I Have steam and I'm no elitist <_<

But I don't know you in real life.
It's a totally different thing.

AuzzieWingman.png

#18 Anon_Fire

Anon_Fire

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

I have Steam too, and no elitist

#19 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:59 AM

BUT I JUST SAID!!!! *waves fists around baka anime style*

AuzzieWingman.png

#20 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:22 PM

Eh, I don't really want Nintendo to go exclusive with either service. Just let Origin be on EA games and Steam be on Valve games, like how the PS3 has Steam for Portal 2. But anyway, if the Wii U's online service is taking inspiration from Steam/Origin, then that's definitely a good thing. Steam is a far better service than even Xbox Live or PSN are.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!