Photo

Does Super Mario 3D World hit Super Mario Galaxy?

Super Mario 3D World Super Mario Galaxy Super Mario Galaxy 3 Rosalina Hints

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle1503

Kyle1503

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • NNID:Kyle1503
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

Hmmm... I have been thinking about this for a long time. The reason I think this is because 3 things seemed oddly Super Mario Galaxy themed.

1. In an image that Nintendo released showed the Cosmic Observatory in the background
2. Rosalina came as a playable character for no real reason
3. The final level was oddly Super Mario Galaxy themed

So what do you think?

#2 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

Please no more Galaxy games.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:54 PM

I doubt the game hit galaxy, that would be really weird.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

I remember hearing about an interview with a developer of Galaxy 2 saying that a sequel was unlikely. But anything's possible I guess.

#5 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

This terrible piece of crap comes NO WHERE close to the masterpiece known as SMG.

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#6 Expansion Pak

Expansion Pak

Enlightened Fanboy

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • NNID:Koopamann14
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon the Series: XY and PS4

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

Super Mario Galaxy....3?  Please yes.

I shower you with coconut cream pies.

#7 Ruuffur

Ruuffur

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

Super Mario 3D world IS SMG3! Don't you see the "3" in the name?
Also it's 1000% better and with multiplayer it's 4000% better.
Even more "world" is bigger than "galaxy" since there are several galaxies but only one world (as we know of) and all galaxies are in this one world of ours.

#8 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

I grew up Mario but lost all interest after Sunshine then tried again with Galaxy and quickly sold it and could not stand NSMB DS. For 18 years wanted a Mario Game that combined M64 and the charm and brightness of those 16 bit sprites into 3D models and Wii U and 3D world to me looks to have done that.

I keep trying to get the game but other money things pop up. I just hope this is the game that makes me care about the series again.

#9 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

Super Mario 3D world IS SMG3! Don't you see the "3" in the name?
Also it's 1000% better and with multiplayer it's 4000% better.
Even more "world" is bigger than "galaxy" since there are several galaxies but only one world (as we know of) and all galaxies are in this one world of ours.

No that game is NOTHING like super mario galaxy.

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#10 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:12 AM

After all the work they did with Super Mario 3D World, I feel they should make a Super Mario 64 style game with the engine they have now. Oh man, that would just be the best thing for me

#11 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:40 AM

Super Mario 3D World is essentially a 3D platformer, it's a good game but much like The Last of Us, GTA V and Bioshock Infinite, 3D World is heavily overrated. I liked the Super Mario Galaxy games, esp SMG#2, but none of these 3D Mario games are a patch on SM64. The greatest video game ever released on the greatest console ever released as far as I'm concerned.

#12 AdmiralClassy

AdmiralClassy

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • NNID:AdmiralClassy
  • Fandom:
    Dragon ball Z, Nintendo, One Piece

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:28 AM

Imo 3d world is no where  near the level of any previous 3d mario games.

It's a good game (not for me) but galaxy destroys it and sunshine destroys galaxy imo.

Shing Shong For Smash 4!

Honk For Ponk!

NNid AdmiralClassy
Psn AdmiralClassy

Steam AdmiralClassy

#13 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:47 AM

Imo 3d world is no where  near the level of any previous 3d mario games.

It's a good game (not for me) but galaxy destroys it and sunshine destroys galaxy imo.

Super Mario 64 destroys any game ever made.

If they built that game from scratch, made it HD 1080p/60fps, I'd buy that game in a heart beat.

#14 Envy

Envy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • NNID:WoodwindsRock
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Pokemon, Paper Mario, SSB

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

I have no idea what in the world this topic is really about... It seemed to be going two different directions with the title and topic itself. o.O

So, I will address both topics...

1. I really don't care. Neither 3D World nor the Galaxy games are the best of the 3D Mario platformers IMO. They're all loads of fun, but they lack that which made Super Mario 64 and Sunshine great games that set themselves apart from the 2D series. So which one is better means little to me. Neither are what I want.

2. Please, no. Even if Super Mario Galaxy was my favorite series, I would still be fervently opposed to the idea of a Super Mario Galaxy 3.

Before Galaxy 2, 3D Mario platformers didn't ever even get sequels. There was no "series". Instead, each new console has brought a 3D Mario platformer with its own unique theme.

It's bad enough that Nintendo released a sequel to what should have remained a portable series as the Wii U's "premier" 3D Mario platformer. To go on and release another sequel would just be flat out sad.

The Wii U needs a 3D Mario platformer to call its own. Not sequels to previous titles.

-

woodwinds3.jpg

#15 NayNay

NayNay

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:28 PM

SM64 is the GOAT 3D platformer, but i really liked galaxy 1 & 2 also.

Not saying there should be a third, but i would like to see a second mario on the Wii U in a couple of years, maybe halfway through its life cycle.

I actually missed the boat on Sunshine, but people on here rating it above Galaxy make me think i missed out? I didnt realise it was so well regarded. might have to scoop back and play it.

#16 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

Is SM3DW as good as the Galaxy games? Nowhere close. I've liked playing SM3DW, but I loved and ENJOYED SMG and SMG2. My family got two WiiU games for Christmas: Rayman Legends and Super Mario 3D World. My sisters adore RL and I'm getting pretty close to 100%ing it. SM3DW? Both my sisters might be at World 2 or World 3 and I brought myself to play a couple courses to get to the final boss just half an hour ago. If I could truly ENJOY SM3DW, it might stand a chance against the Galaxy games. It's good, but that's it.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#17 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

Does Super Mario 3D World hit Super Mario Galaxy?

I've looked at it, looked over it, but all I can get from this question is:

- Smartphone being a willy

- Can Wii U run Wreck it Ralph in real time

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#18 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

Maybe they took some inspiration from the Galaxy games. Would be natural for that too happen, too.

I loved the both Galaxy games!

If there`s a more "serious" (as in, not too cheery or too colourful) Mario game, it`s the Galaxy games. I think they are unique. But another game? I`d rather have Nintendo try a Mario 64 kind of game.

#19 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

After all the work they did with Super Mario 3D World, I feel they should make a Super Mario 64 style game with the engine they have now. Oh man, that would just be the best thing for me

Same here.  I am really enjoying 3D World which is quite a surprise as I HATE having a time limit. (I hated all the original Mario World games and suspect I might even fall out with this on later levels)

I much prefer having time to really investigate the world and appreciate its beauty, and solve puzzles.  I don't have anyone to play multiplayer with either so that functionality is of no use to me.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 26 February 2014 - 02:57 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#20 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

I'm assuming he meant 'hint' Super Mario Galaxy. Honestly, I doubt it. I think they did about all they could with the first two Galaxy games.

As for if Mario 3D World is as good? No! Not even close. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed Mario 3D world, but it no way does it make me keep coming back. I want to play through it all the way but I'm having to make myself do it. I have fun with the game but it definitely has the whole been here done this feel to it.

The Galaxy games were imaginative and unique. They had their downsides of course but it was alright because when they were good (which was like 99% of the time) they were absolutely fantastic. I think 3D World has a lot of the similar imagination, but it feels confined by the formula of just going from the start of the level to the end. 

I was really hoping at E3 we would have seen a 'Super Mario Universe' that was a hybrid of the Galaxy games and Mario 64. All the imagination and creativity of the Galaxy games but with the open world vibe of Mario 64. 

pNgecl.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 3, Rosalina, Hints

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!