Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

Ever since Antonio Banderas last donned the cape in 2005's The Legend of Zorro, rebooting the Zorro franchise has proven a Sisyphean project for Hollywood. The last we heard about a Zorror film was Fox's Zorro Reborn, a post-apocalyptic interpretation of the hero that was to star Gael García Bernal. That was two years ago. In the meantime, it looks like Sony Pictures -- the studio behind the Banderas films -- is moving ahead with its own competing project that was originally announced around the same time as Reborn.

Deadline reports that Sony has signed Chris Boal to write the studio's Zorro reboot. Not only is Boal a screenwriter, he's also a playwright and competitive fencer.

While that combination may sound like a perfect fit for the franchise, the direction in which the studio reportedly wants to take the story will rankle some Zorro fans. Insiders say that Sony's reboot will take the Dark Knight route, featuring "gritty realism and an emotional core." The swordplay inherent to any Zorro story will remain, but it will be accompanied by European martial arts that combine "swords, daggers, grappling and bare knuckles."

This rumor is amusing considering that the Dark Knight himself was largely inspired by Zorro. In fact, in the comics, Bruce Wayne's parents were killed as the family was leaving the theater where they had just seen a Zorro film.

http://www.ign.com/a...knights-example

Not too sure... about this. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:52 PM

It'll probably be a lot like the dark knight. Goodas a standalone franchise, that will make lots of money, but meh to bad for true fans of Zorro (though how many of those there are, I don't know).

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#3 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:23 AM

Why has the Dark Knight become the epitome for "dark" or "gritty" or "realistic"? That trilogy is held up on a pedestal and it need to stop since the only exceptional one was The Dark Knight.  /rant

Anyway I can think of loads of films which have much darker themes and have much more emotional depth than the batman films.

Edited by Hunter, 08 March 2014 - 12:24 AM.

#4 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:36 AM

Ugh did not like the Nolan Batman films and hated Man of Steel. Pass on this. Zorro was just supposed to be adventure and fun not gritty BS. Whatever just will ignore it when it releases.

#5 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

Ugh did not like the Nolan Batman films and hated Man of Steel. Pass on this. Zorro was just supposed to be adventure and fun not gritty BS. Whatever just will ignore it when it releases.

Warner Bors. is great at being like "you know that award winning comic we have? Let's make a movie about it, but completely change everything people like about the comic when we make the movie, so it sucks!

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#6 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

*crosses fingers for Antonio Banderas*

Because one cannot have too much Banderas 

#7 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

Yes, Batman was inspired by Zorro, but remember that Batman wasn't originally a hardcore edgy story.

There is no reason for a edgy Zorro reboot, but we only get edgy reboots these days.

#8 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

Batman wasn't originally a hardcore edgy story.

Yes it was. Batman was a stone cold killer. Even used a gun and killed his enemies all the time. When the Comics started getting rated his image was changed to a goofy comic with a sidekick (Robin) in the early 40's I want to say. Was not til the 70's he was brought back to a darker character but now he despised guns. In his earlier days he even threw a dude in acid and was glad about it. Superman even was originally evil until he was changed and was put in Action Comics.

Zorro debuted as just a dashing hero and was more like that of old serials. There to save people from the corrupt leaders or just save the day.

#9 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:29 PM

Yes it was. Batman was a stone cold killer. Even used a gun and killed his enemies all the time. When the Comics started getting rated his image was changed to a goofy comic with a sidekick (Robin) in the early 40's I want to say. Was not til the 70's he was brought back to a darker character but now he despised guns. In his earlier days he even threw a dude in acid and was glad about it. Superman even was originally evil until he was changed and was put in Action Comics.

You know what I mean, even though he did use guns and killed.  I'm criticizing how things are edgy for the sake of being edgy today.  Batman was never depicted as hardcore edgy, it was depicted as the bad guys getting it.  The newer movies are edgy for the sake of being edgy.

When you compare the comics to the times, they became dark for a reason.  Batman was too dark, so it became more campy.  Batman and other characters usually changed, becoming darker or lighter in reflection of the attitudes of the time.  The Burton movie is an excellent example of people's attitudes towards the government and heroes at the time.  Batman Begins was a more 'realistic' take on the story, but was also edgy for the sake of being edgy.  The next two movies also suffered for trying so hard to be edgy.  Other movies began following the same formula because it worked for batman.  The only reason it worked for batman was because the story was dark to begin with.  The problem is that making a movie edgy doesn't make sense if you're just trying to appeal to the same edgy audience, and you just end up sacrificing quality or the ideas behind the original story.

Although I was pretty sure that Superman was actually supposed to be a representation of the Jewish immigrants in the land of opportunity.

#10 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:33 AM

Zorro debuted as just a dashing hero and was more like that of old serials. There to save people from the corrupt leaders or just save the day.

Robin was introduced in issue #38 there really wasn't much time for him to be dark before that, and I don't think he was. I don't think ANY comic in the golden age was gritty because it just wouldn't have been seen as acceptable back then. I could be wrong but from what I've read of the really early comics, it was definitely not gritty. I mean just look at Dick's costume, and the fact Batman called him chum...

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#11 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:40 AM

Other movies began following the same formula because it worked for batman.  The only reason it worked for batman was because the story was dark to begin with.  The problem is that making a movie edgy doesn't make sense if you're just trying to appeal to the same edgy audience, and you just end up sacrificing quality or the ideas behind the original story.

Yeah, this is why Man of Steel was such a poor film. 

#12 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

Robin was introduced in issue #38 there really wasn't much time for him to be dark before that, and I don't think he was. I don't think ANY comic in the golden age was gritty because it just wouldn't have been seen as acceptable back then. I could be wrong but from what I've read of the really early comics, it was definitely not gritty. I mean just look at Dick's costume, and the fact Batman called him chum...

I'v read some of the old ones. Gritty..not really but the fact Batman was a stone cold sociopath was pretty damn dark.

My dad had these comics and used to read them. He had comics from the 30's-60's. Been a long time but think there was one he shoots a guy point blank laying in a bed or something.

#13 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:40 AM

I'v read some of the old ones. Gritty..not really but the fact Batman was a stone cold sociopath was pretty damn dark.

My dad had these comics and used to read them. He had comics from the 30's-60's. Been a long time but think there was one he shoots a guy point blank laying in a bed or something.

http://en.wikipedia....man#Early_years

It says he used to kill up until issue 38 (when Robin was introduced) but since he was only introduced in 27 the time he was "gritty" was shorter than I thought. I also go t the impression that it wasn't really "gritty". He killed yes, but I think it's because he was almost a police like figure. Could easily be wrong about that though.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!