umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

does anyone prefer Retro studios DK games over Rare?

I think you can make an argument for Retro, but Rare laid the groundwork for a wonderful franchise, that technically Retro just built upon. however, i will say level design and the creativity of the enemies is pretty good by Retro, not that Rare was bad, but the gameplay of Rare and its character traits beats Retro.

I wasn't a fan of blowing on flowers in DKCR, so I'm glad they took that out, but i miss being able to just play as diddy, dixie and kiddy.

over all

I'd say Rare still holds the better DK games. what do the rest of you think?

#2 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

I havent played Tropical Freeze yet, but I think thats more like the old country games. As to which did it better.. I think a tie, but the levels had more like up / down / puzzle with RARE.

Stupid Snowmads!

#3 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

I have been totally BLOWN AWAY by Tropical Freeze!  It just keeps amazing me.  I'm withholding my final judgment but as of right now I think I'm having more fun with it than Super Mario 3D World.   :o

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#4 ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

Other than the absolutely mind-boggling freedom Rare had when creating the original DKC series, I have no doubt in my mind that the people at Retro assisted by the Nintendo teams are doing a much better job at the DKC revival.  Other than more animal buddies, DKC:TF is nothing short of another solid DKC entry that does not shake up the formula, but takes it in and reminds us what old-school fun is all about combined with modern tech and modern controls.

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!

Sig_Banner.jpg

www.youtube.com/zyroxz2

Enjoy!  :laugh:

#5 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

It's not really fair for me to weigh in on this since I haven't played even half of the Wii DK Country and haven't played Tropical Freeze at all, but from what I have played I still feel like the originals edge out the new ones. That isn't to say that the new ones aren't good however, they're brilliant. 

pNgecl.gif

#6 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

Having played Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest on SNES as a kid and Returns on the 3DS and the new Tropic Freeze, with that said, Tropical Freeze reminds
Me just how great the SNES games were.

Rare blazed the path for Donkey Kong Country, but I feel Retro really ups the creativity with Tropical Freeze. If I were to pick, I would probably go with Rare in the 90's. They made so many great games, but Retro is on the rise too. They are like the Rare of today. I expect Retro to surpass Rare in a couple more releases.

#7 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:45 PM

Rare was an insanely amazing studio back in the N64 days. A lot of the credit is owed Nintendo as well. Rare was very very creative and knew how to extract performance from the hardware.

But, as is the case with highly creative types, they needed someone to reel them in and focus.

Nintendo Provided that, much like they odd with Retro-they seem more content with where Retro is now in terms of internal leadership and vision.

We had KI, new IP Banjo-Kazooie (which was freaking amazing back then), the nastifonious Conker, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong racing, and others. It seemed everything Rare touched turned to gold.

But, talent left, the studio degraded, and Nintendo happily sold them off to MS who didn't realize they weren't getting Donkey Kong with the deal. Lol. And Rare was worth so much by then that MS enjoyed the craptastic BK: Nuts and Bolts. Other than that, Rare had the glory of... Making xbox dashboard avatars and the little t-shirts and stuff you can put on them.

Retro actually seems like a parallel to a peak Rare these days. Bulked up staff with serious engineering and artistic talent, passion and vision, and the trust of Nintendo to deliver where and when it counts.

The N64 days were also more forgiving in terms of games and creativity. New IPs were showing up left and right. And people bought them. Nowadays there is much risk since a studio can be made or broken by the expense/return on a single game.

Retro has the foundation to do truly great things. DK is likely the tip of the iceberg for them.

#8 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:13 AM

Retro Studios today smokes Rare. Back in the day though, Rare were the devs everyone wanted.

#9 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:16 AM

Is it actually true that microsoft thought they were going to get DK when they bought rare?

As for the OP, yeah Tropical Freeze is probably the best DK so far. I would actually welcome a third in a few years after Retro worked on something else.

#10 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:22 AM

I would like to say yes or no but i never played Rare`s games and Retro hasn`t made a 3D DK game to make a fair comparison.

Got to buy a SNES DKC game someday. :unsure:

#11 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

To be honest, I've never been a huge DK fan. The first DK game I've been interested in is DKTF. So, right now, I prefer Retro over Rare.

Truthfully, Retro is the new Rare in many ways. Retro needs to make its own IP sometime though.

Is it actually true that microsoft thought they were going to get DK when they bought rare?

As for the OP, yeah Tropical Freeze is probably the best DK so far. I would actually welcome a third in a few years after Retro worked on something else.

http://www.examiner....ned-donkey-kong

From what it appears, a MS executive thought they did. That doesn't mean the people involved in the deal thought they did.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#12 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

Microsoft

dk_palm.jpg

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#13 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:50 AM

Microsoft

dk_palm.jpg

Lol ^_^

#14 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:04 AM

I've found it to be a fun game so far, but the jump physics is really frustrating. I try my best to always have Dixie in order to get the superior Yoshi jump.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#15 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

http://www.examiner....ned-donkey-kong

From what it appears, a MS executive thought they did. That doesn't mean the people involved in the deal thought they did.

lol I've heard a few people on here say something about this before but I thought they were joking. Funny stuff.

#16 Thrash13

Thrash13

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Kart, Donkey Kong

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

Truthfully, Retro is the new Rare in many ways. Retro needs to make its own IP sometime though.

I'll be more than happy if Retro branches off and makes their own IP in the near future.  They've proven they release high-quality games with great precision and attention to detail.  I'd love to see them do something completely new with their next game, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I want to see them release a 3D Donkey Kong game in 2-3 years.

#17 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

Retro. I loved DKC but was not big on the SNES sequels and the N64 game was a big letdown. It was good but didn;t feel like  DK game as much as it felt like a re skinned Banjo game. Retro just seems to get it better when progessing series better. From Metroid to DK.

What Rare had way over Retro was the constant amount of games coming from them and many new IP's. In the NES era they had Wizards & Warriors,Captain Skyhawk,Battletoads,SNES with DKC,Killer Instinct and N64 when they peaked with Goldeneye,Banjo,Jet Force Gemini,Conker,Perfect Dark. Rareware did something in the 90's few have matched for the amount og games they made in a short time and all pretty top notch in quality is well a rare feat even to this day.

Even tho I want another Metroid from Retro I would also love to see them make a brand new IP to appeal to a western crowd as they are some of the best in the industry right now. No matter what genre the game would be I am confident be more polished and glitch free than 99% of AAA games out right now.

#18 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

Retro blows rare out of the water.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#19 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

Me too, 2 titles later, maybe at towards the end of the Wii-u life cycle we can get a 3rd Donkey kong. Although I'm sure even they have to be asking themselves what can possibly be done to improve the formula, stay true to its core and yet bring something fresh, I dont know the answer to that other than more animal buddies and level design for such.

on second thought, i wouldn't mind seeing DK kidnapped again, forcing you to use diddy, dixie and cranky, that would make a big difference.

Edited by umegames, 11 March 2014 - 11:29 AM.

#20 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

I'll be more than happy if Retro branches off and makes their own IP in the near future. They've proven they release high-quality games with great precision and attention to detail. I'd love to see them do something completely new with their next game, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I want to see them release a 3D Donkey Kong game in 2-3 years.

I know, they are very talented. The only thing that makes me think Nintendo doesn't want them for new IP's is simple: Their Name. Retro Studios. Retro, as in old games. I think that's why Nintendo made them.

But, I stand by what I want from them. A new IP. I'd love to see a nee shooter, similar to Metroid In that it has a huge open world but filled with more fighting. But, a new Metroid would also be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!