• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Nukie

Nukie

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:32 AM

My attempt at a game scene drawn using Art Academy Sketch Pad.
zlCfzRNjjJMTGQC_P_.jpg
When the Wii U was first announced, I saw an image of a Wii zapper like peripheral with the gamepad attached atop.
From there I began to hope for a shooter with mechanics illustrated in the image above.

Nintendo is wanting gamepad centric games. This game would be completely dependant on the gamepad and the TV together to work.
The soldier would appear 3rd person on the TV.Now imagine that soldier has a camera on the end of his weapon. The image from the camera appears in the gamepad. Point the gamepad at your feet. The soldier's weapon points down and the gamepad displays a map.Raise the gamepad, the soldier raises his weapon in unison and the gamepad displays the soldier's reticle and world beyond.
Now aim the gamepad to the right. The soldier on screen turns aiming to the right but the scene in the TV remains the same. Possible gaming scenario- at a X roads looking right and engaging targets in the gamepad. On the TV you would see another part of the X roads (which would be over your left shoulder) that you keep glancing down looking for flankers.
Yes you would have to stand up(just like Metroid Blast) and no, the gamepad battery won't last, but that's beside the point.
I imagine the gyro mechanics of the gamepad to work similar to Gameloft's Modern Combat 3(on Android) using gyro, while the on screen character mimics your real world directions.
zlCfzRVkteAvSP6I7F.jpg
That enough to start with.
I have thought about control mechanics and orientation too,but I'll post those later along with cover mechanics and gameplay ideas.
What do you think? Would you play it? Could this be the game that steals the COD crown?

2014-03-21 11.28.35.jpg
I've added this picture with a mock up of the Wii U Zapper.

2014-03-22 22.08.42.jpg
The big dog.

I have added this picture.
Blurred Lines - Contact Right resize.JPG
It does feature in another thread http://thewiiu.com/t...this-game-idea/ but I wanted to post it here as well so members can see how the idea has developed through various iterations of 'game idea and hardware pictures'.

Edited by Nukie, 08 May 2014 - 04:27 PM.

#2 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:01 AM

I don't think that it would steal CoD's crown, but I like the idea.

I see this working best as a single player open world game. I feel that it wouldn't work well in terms of a multiplayer because you are physically moving a lot for what is by many a mode that could be played in excessively long bursts, with regards to constant gyroscope use and battery life.

It could lead to interesting ways to use cover and equipment, as well as tactical overview of your current location for strategic moves. You could use the camera on the gun to analyse the environment and get information fed for decision making. You could probably go further and make things like checking around corners a real arse if you don't properly use discretion.

Actually reminds me of one of my own ideas. You'd play the game in first person for typical movement and control, and get a 3rd person overlay of your current position while in cover. You could even program movement rails from point to point to quickly rush to a location or use discretion, but if you do that you get forced to rail shooting until you reach that point. Properly using all three mechanics would be key.

I like the drawings. Good job. But as I said, reliance on gyroscoping may be too much for it's own good.

Edited by Auzzie Wingman, 18 March 2014 - 04:03 AM.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:51 AM

I believe one of the wario games does this.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:24 AM

Looks neat!  Holding the gamepad out in front of you constantly could be tiring on the arms

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#5 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:14 AM

See I think ZombieU had the right idea with gamepad but it didn't have that spark to make it light up. I feel a game like ZombieU or a game like LA Noire or Heavy Rain would make great use of the gamepad. I feel the gamepad should be used in slower type games with more of a narrative involved having to find clues and solve puzzles.

Imagine doing what you said using the gamepad as a scope basically having the camera move with the gamepad but solving a crime scene( Noire/heavy rain) or puzzles. Having to write down info based on what you notice or interrogating suspects, going through files with the pad. It sounds like everyday stuff boring and all but I feel the gamepad would make that interesting.

Games like Gone Home or Outlast would be awesome with the gamepad, again games that deal with observation would feel right at home with the WiiU. Having the major components go through the gamepad with the sense that the player is in control.

#6 Chaos

Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • NNID:ChaoticPikachu
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:23 AM

Just buy an Oculus Rift

#7 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:32 AM

I know what you mean man. Nintendo teased us with these awesome game concepts but never did anything with them. This is game would be awesome. The idea would work well with the next 3D Metroid.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#8 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

Just buy an Oculus Rift

That actually seems to be the solution for a lot of gamers but I still can't imagine myself wearing that thing but idk maybe it works wonders lol.

#9 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

Had an idea similar to this a while back. Also wanted a game that like the Mech game on Xbox that had this massive controller. Except instead use the Gamepad and Wii nunchuck as a total control console. WiiU gamepad be used for other buttons on the touchscreen and the wii nunchuck combo be used for looking walking and shooting using analog and motion. Mech game on Xbox had to use dual joysticks to manually move the legs. Same idea. Analog for camera. All FP. Bee a pretty involving game.

#10 ZombiCarolyn

ZombiCarolyn

Boo

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

See I think ZombieU had the right idea with gamepad but it didn't have that spark to make it light up. I feel a game like ZombieU or a game like LA Noire or Heavy Rain would make great use of the gamepad. I feel the gamepad should be used in slower type games with more of a narrative involved having to find clues and solve puzzles.

Imagine doing what you said using the gamepad as a scope basically having the camera move with the gamepad but solving a crime scene( Noire/heavy rain) or puzzles. Having to write down info based on what you notice or interrogating suspects, going through files with the pad. It sounds like everyday stuff boring and all but I feel the gamepad would make that interesting.

Games like Gone Home or Outlast would be awesome with the gamepad, again games that deal with observation would feel right at home with the WiiU. Having the major components go through the gamepad with the sense that the player is in control.

That's why I liked ZombiU so much. The controls were phenomenal.

#11 Nukie

Nukie

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:35 PM

Looks neat!  Holding the gamepad out in front of you constantly could be tiring on the arms

What about raising the gamepad to acquire and fire. Gamepad down for moving. Could always pop up to shoot and scoot.

Just buy an Oculus Rift

Well yes. I think Oculus Rift looks awesome. In saying that, I think that what I am proposing has more in common with Oculus Rift anyway. Being able to pan through 3d virtual space on the gamepad while maintaining spacial awareness because of the fixed perspective on the tv.Just no stereoscopic vision.

I don't think that it would steal CoD's crown, but I like the idea.

I see this working best as a single player open world game. I feel that it wouldn't work well in terms of a multiplayer because you are physically moving a lot for what is by many a mode that could be played in excessively long bursts, with regards to constant gyroscope use and battery life.

It could lead to interesting ways to use cover and equipment, as well as tactical overview of your current location for strategic moves. You could use the camera on the gun to analyse the environment and get information fed for decision making. You could probably go further and make things like checking around corners a real arse if you don't properly use discretion.

Your probably right. Definitely not suited to run and gun twitch styled shooters.
Open world squad shooter utilizing team tactics, cover mechanics and real world strategies.... That could work.
Remember Brothers in Arms- Road to Hill 30? And the four F's. Find. Fix. Flank. Finish. Always moving from cover to cover to get an angle on your enemy.That gameplay style would suit my mechanics.
My 3rd person view could clearly show volume of incoming fire and cover integrity. Raise the gamepad a little to peek past cover(on the tv). Raise the gamepad fully aim at and engage targets.Face the gamepad away from the tv to look around while staying in cover.
Are you with me?

#12 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:23 AM

I was going to mention the original trailer with the Zapper, but I see it`s what inspired you. I also thought it looks like great use of the gamepad, and would love to see something like this mad.

As for the movement thing, I'm with Ryudo. Just do it like the wii zapper, whee you use nunchuck analog to move (I think that was how it was done, wasn't it?).

btw if you drew up those images in your original post, major props to you, not only on your art skills but for having enough passion about the idea to do that.

Edited by WydrA, 19 March 2014 - 02:25 AM.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#13 Nukie

Nukie

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

I was going to mention the original trailer with the Zapper, but I see it`s what inspired you. I also thought it looks like great use of the gamepad, and would love to see something like this mad.
As for the movement thing, I'm with Ryudo. Just do it like the wii zapper, whee you use nunchuck analog to move (I think that was how it was done, wasn't it?).
btw if you drew up those images in your original post, major props to you, not only on your art skills but for having enough passion about the idea to do that.

Absolutely, this game built to use the Zapper exclusively would be King. Put a butt stock on the Zapper so that you shoulder it like a rifle. Take away any thumb stick controls for aiming(thumb sticks would have too much of an advantage over my aiming style).
I'm currently playing Black Ops 2 using wiimote and nunchuck, and the aiming reticle is never still. It's jumping and bouncing around. My bullets fly out in a semi random cone. Things get especially hard to hit at range. When I watch myself die after a long range shootout, sometime I feel like I've been knocked over by a water pistol squirting bullets, because thumb sticks can do still, while the pointer is always live. Things would be the same for zapper/motion aiming.
Why do I use the wiimote? It feels a wii bit (pun) like shooting at something in the real world. Real firearms don't do still either.
I guess the Zapper game would be more simulation. Aiming and firing should behave a lot like it's real world counterpart, meaning things would be harder to hit. Tactics become a major element. It's still not 'Oculus Rift' Chaos, but it's getting closer.

Yes. I had drawn these and posted them into Miiverse, trying to spark discussion and debate. I have learned Miiverse is not the place for'discussion and debate'.
Nice place though lol.
ps Thank you.

#14 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:31 PM

Absolutely, this game built to use the Zapper exclusively would be King. Put a butt stock on the Zapper so that you shoulder it like a rifle. Take away any thumb stick controls for aiming(thumb sticks would have too much of an advantage over my aiming style).
I'm currently playing Black Ops 2 using wiimote and nunchuck, and the aiming reticle is never still. It's jumping and bouncing around. My bullets fly out in a semi random cone. Things get especially hard to hit at range. When I watch myself die after a long range shootout, sometime I feel like I've been knocked over by a water pistol squirting bullets, because thumb sticks can do still, while the pointer is always live. Things would be the same for zapper/motion aiming.
Why do I use the wiimote? It feels a wii bit (pun) like shooting at something in the real world. Real firearms don't do still either.
I guess the Zapper game would be more simulation. Aiming and firing should behave a lot like it's real world counterpart, meaning things would be harder to hit. Tactics become a major element. It's still not 'Oculus Rift' Chaos, but it's getting closer.

Yes. I had drawn these and posted them into Miiverse, trying to spark discussion and debate. I have learned Miiverse is not the place for'discussion and debate'.
Nice place though lol.
ps Thank you.

I've heard that if you really play Wiimote nunchuk a lot it's actually all around better than a traditional controller, since it's very similar to how you use a mouse.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#15 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

Damn, that idea is pretty good. It actually requires the gamepad. I like the gyroscope aiming

#16 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

Unreal engine 4 is now licensed at $19 per month.

You can make the game yourself.

And when you want yo sell it, Epic only takes a 5% cut.

Pretty sweet

Unreal engine 4 is now licensed at $19 per month.

You can make the game yourself.

And when you want yo sell it, Epic only takes a 5% cut.

Pretty sweet

Of course... You'd have to hire someone to prt the engine over...

:(

Perhaps the unreal 3 engine gets the new deal too?

Edited by Socalmuscle, 19 March 2014 - 11:20 PM.

#17 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:56 AM

Just stumbled upon this: http://wiiudaily.com/wii-u-zapper

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#18 Nukie

Nukie

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

Just stumbled upon this: http://wiiudaily.com/wii-u-zapper

2014-03-21 11.28.35.jpg
A quick mock up I did on my phone showing the Wii U Zapper.

#19 KingBoo

KingBoo

Walka

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • NNID:Kingofboos
  • Fandom:
    Mentos, bunnies, and anything Nintendo.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

k

bb0.gif

#20 Nukie

Nukie

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:20 AM

Ok. Some basic control mechanics ideas.
2014-04-01 00.44.16.png
Scenario-Your fire team is taking fire from the right. Zapper and on screen avatar facing right.
Raise and lower Zapper to move in and out of cover(blue arrow). Raise a little to peek.
Currently the big screen is set to look over your fire team, but you want to have the gamepad view in the big screen. Aim toward the enemy and hold the L trigger, then rotate the Zapper to face the big screen(red arrow). The world would rotate so as to have the enemy on the big screen. At this point the game would look like a regular 3rd person shooter, with the reticle still in the gamepad.
Thumb stick -forward, backward and strafe. Click thumb for sprint and contextual actions.L locks the camera and R for shoot.
I'm sure that a set up similar to any cover based 3rd person shooter would work just as well in this scenario.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!