• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:35 AM

Also PSN you can watch Netflix,Youtube,Hulu and more without having to pay for services you already pay for to use.

#22 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

I had PS+ for my PS3 for two years. How many games did I download from the Instant collection? Three.

There were some great games on there, but guess what? I already owned those games, so didn't need them.

I'm not knocking the PS+ subscription anymore than I would knock the Xbox Live subscription service, both are good services in their own right.

#23 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

I do rather like how just because games are "rentals" that somehow devalues the service. The amount of good games you get will make you want to stay subscribed anyway, so I don't see why that's an issue.

Microsoft gives 2 free games per month that're usually gotten out of the $10 value bin at gamestop (See: Halo 3, Gears of War, Fable 3, etc) and won't even let you use paid services such as Netflix without a Gold account, while PS+ gives 5-6 free, current games per month that pile onto the other free games currently offered in the service.

Just as a comparison: Currently free game this week for XBLA is Castle Crashers.

Currently free games for PS+ NA this week include the following:

• Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition (PS4)
  • Resogun (PS4)
  • Thomas Was Alone (PS3/Vita)
  • Lone Survivor: Director's Cut (PS3/Vita)
  • Tomb Raider (PS3)
  • PayDay 2 (PS3)
  • Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3)
  • Bioshock Infinite (PS3)
  • Dyad (PS3)
  • Borderlands 2 (PS3)
  • Uncharted 3 (PS3)
  • LittleBigPlanet Karting (PS3)
  • XCom: Enemy Unknown (PS3)
  • Unit 13 (Vita)
  • Modnation Racers: RoadTrip (Vita)
  • Street Fighter x Tekken (Vita)
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita)
  • Gravity Rush (Vita)
  • Wipeout 2048 (Vita)
And there's also a rather nice GTA sale going on that has... basically every GTA game available on the store except for GTA5 for less than $3 to $5 a piece.

So, yeah. I can either pay $60 a year and get 24 games, most of which can probably be gotten in a bargain bin, or $50 a year and get 19 games from the moment I subscribe plus whatever new games they add each week for the coming months. 

That's probably why people defend PS+ over XBLA.

You don't call the fries in a burger and fries meal as free fries, do you?
I don't care how you flower your farts, don't tell me you didn't fart.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#24 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:08 AM

You don't call the fries in a burger and fries meal as free fries, do you?
I don't care how you flower your farts, don't tell me you didn't fart.

I don't even get what you're trying to imply here (and what I think you're implying doesn't really make sense, but okay), but I do know you're dragging the thread off-topic further, so...

All I know is that PS+ is a great value for what it offers, and I'll happily stay subscribed to it and enjoy some free stuff.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#25 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:40 PM

fixed. :)

the implication is they are losing ground to a competitor, the one that they compete with more would be Sony.

That's not what I'm saying, that's not what is trying to be implied. I'm merely saying they made some missteps. I think Microsoft would agree. (http://www.gamespot....y/1100-6418296/ )
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#26 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

Hindsight is 20/20

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#27 BKSmash

BKSmash

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Greatest Of The Greatest

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:52 AM

Nooope. Compare it to the Wii U ''success'' then. :)

#28 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

Yes, there obviously were some missteps. "messed up" though? no. The xbox fan community is so loyal, they'll support anything Microsoft does. Three reasons. Xbox live friends list, third party support and American.

#29 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

Microsoft did mess up with the reveal and then the E3 conference, Don Mattrick and Adam #dealwithit Orth's attitude to gamer backlash was incredible and while I never had any issues with any of Microsoft's policies, I can understand why many people did. Mattrick saying "People can play their 360's" when asked about people who do not game online or do not have access to the Internet showed an individual who was out of touch with over 35million+ 360 users who didn't have Xbox Live membership at the time.

That said Microsoft deserve some credit for changing their stance, some say it was due to consumer back lash and poor preorder sales, but whatever it was, Microsoft altered all of their policies bar the Kinect 2.0 being mandatory which I do not agree with much in the same way I don't agree with the Wii U gamepad being a mandatory accessory.

As for Microsoft's communication being mixed up? I disagree entirely, they've always said that the Xbox One is an entertainment box, not a console. It's a media box that plays games. You'd have to be as thick as two short planks not to understand this as Microsoft have beaten the horse to death over this issue in recent months.

People worry about the Kinect camera, yet these people share their information with corporations when they sign up for loyalty cards, when they post their personal details on websites like Facebook and Twitter. People blame Microsoft for the NSA and GCHQ using their device as a monitoring tool, yet it's entirely possible that this is done without Microsoft's knowledge or consent. After all the US Government under George Dubya spied on British citizens without consent of the British Government, so who is to say the NSA isn't monitoring you irrespective of you having a Kinect? You can't be that naive surely?

Also you don't need to use the Kinect, you can unplug it and use the controller to navigate through the Xbox One's interface.

Where I do understand gamers anger with the Xbox One is over the resolutions and graphics. Microsoft should have ensured that their console could match Sony's PS4 in terms of resolution because you can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, that's not to say that games at 720p won't look great, Bayonetta 2 is a shining example of this, but the Xbox One has been touted like the PS4 as a titan of a device, yet the Xbox One cannot muster 1080p in most games and the PS4 at times is having problems obtaining 60fps, yet nothing is said about that.

The Xbox One was designed based on the activities of 360 users, Microsoft's data collection apparently showed that 360 users spent more times doing non-gaming activities i.e. listening to music, chatting to friends, watching movies, so that's where they got the idea for this all-in-one Xbox One, a nice idea in theory, but the execution hasn't been brilliant, but I do commend Microsoft for being ambitious enough to change what was arguably a winning formula with the 360 in the eyes of many gamers.

Do you have a problem with PS+?

You don't get free games, you pay £39.99 a year to download certain games to play for the duration of your subscription, you are essentially renting these games. I'm not knocking the service, I just find it baffling that people defend Sony's PS+ subscription while slating Microsoft's Xbox Live subscription.

I pretty much agree with most of this. Whilst I appreciate Microsoft hasn't actually been very good with how they have approached the release of Xbox One and certainly the performance/resolution issue is valid to an extent in my opinion people have been too quick to criticise them and even been way too harsh on their comments on Kinect. Most people who criticise Kinect probably have never used it and like sheep are just following other people's comments or judging it based on the original Kinect. I've got both the PS4 and Xbox One and although the Playstation platform has always been my primary one I still think its worth having an Xbox One. At the end of the day both consoles have their pros and cons as do both Sony and Microsoft. As for PS Plus when you examine it closely its not better then Xbox Live.

Yes, there obviously were some missteps. "messed up" though? no. The xbox fan community is so loyal, they'll support anything Microsoft does. Three reasons. Xbox live friends list, third party support and American.

At the same time the Playstation and Nintendo fan communities are no different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!