#1 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

POPULAR

iX3RKGRtqOKYI.jpg

Seems every gen Nintendo creates many new IP's but for dumb reasons people never acknowledge it. They are harped on for rehashing but they turn around buy the next CoD,Uncharted,Halo,Madden,GoW,MGS and others been rehashed for years esp the yearly series.

Not much of a topic but kinda wanted to post this as it gets frustrating with the double standards and hypocrisy everywhere. I guess because they don't make FPS games or angry bald men games in realistic graphic engines their new IP's never count.

#2 meitantei_conan

meitantei_conan

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • NNID:qublin_triforce

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

When people say "new IP" they really mean gritty realistic shooter. :l

#3 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

When people say "new IP" they really mean gritty realistic shooter. :l

No, what people actually mean is that they want a game which has the quality level and western appeal of mario, zelda, metroid etc.

#4 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

AH! So it's OUR fault we don't like the new IP's Nintendo comes out with. Fair enough. Here I was thinking it was up to the developers to know what their consumers would like and make games accordingly.

#5 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

The only game that struck me as great from that list is Xenoblade. Also Gears(didn't play the last one), Uncharted(the 3rd one was not good), Halo, and MGS all have had great games on their franchises that imo have not really gotten old, if anything I'm waiting for their next gen installment. I won't argue for COD or AssCreed or anything like that but I just find it wrong when people put these games(gears,uncharted,God of War) next to bad ones like those said games are awful which imo is ludicrous.

Which brings me to Nintendo and how I defend their 20 plus year old franchises because they manage to make them feel new( for the most part). It's just that when Nintendo creates new ip it's so low level that it might be good but it will never reach their long franchises like Zelda or Metroid. For instance the Pikmin series which is awesome but again imo is no where near Nintendos best franchise nor anywhere near something amazing.

Again I get what your saying but those dudes are F'ing dumb but many other people like myself love Nintendos franchises but also wish they would bring something grand into a new ip.

#6 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:51 PM

AH! So it's OUR fault we don't like the new IP's Nintendo comes out with. Fair enough. Here I was thinking it was up to the developers to know what their consumers would like and make games accordingly.

It's not really about "not liking them" so much as "blatantly ignoring what is there while contradicting your own actions."

People discount new Nintendo IPs just because they're not the next Gears/CoD/God of War/TLoU, saying they never make any original games all the while. Shortly after saying this, they turn around and buy the very next entry with minimal updates in Uncharted/Battlefield/CoD regardless of actual reviews and also promptly ignore many new franchises you can only find on Nintendo systems simply because "it's Nintendo" without even trying the game to see if it's any fun.

While, yes, not all the games on that list are "AAA" quality, they've all (steel diver aside) earned at least higher than a 7.5/10 average on Metacritic (While Captain Rainbow doesn't have a metacritic page, the general consensus I've seen on the game is it's at least an 8) and all fairly fun games. Even Steel Diver, while not a fantastic game by any means, is kinda fun for the $5 it costs at retail.

Xenoblade was quite possibly the greatest JRPG of last generation, I'm fairly certain it had way more than its fair share of people discount it because "lolwii don't have good graphic"

Endless Ocean was a very, very cool exploration game that while yes, I can see why it's not everybody's thing, is definitely worth a try. Kinda like Proteus.

Dillon's Rolling Western is a very fun, unique strategy/tower defense game, even if it is eShop exclusive. I've enjoyed the time I've spent on the first one, and will be sure to pick up the second one once I've beat the first/it's available at a good price.

Captain Rainbow I can't really speak much for, as I can't recall if that ever got released stateside, and I've already explained Steel Diver up above, so...yeah.

/rantiguess

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#7 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

I liked Endless Ocean and would like it in HD.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#8 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

The list was a small sample. Could have put many other Wii or DS games there. Was mainly used as an Example. I know Nintendo has dabbed in more mature shooter games like FPS Giest on GCN and TPS Disaster Day of Crisis on Wii. They didn't sell very well if I recall.  X is no doubt Nintendo's first AAA new IP this gen. Nintendo has not backed away from publishing or developing more mature content either. From the already mention Cpn Rainbow to Disaster,Pandoras Tower then published Ninja Gaiden on WiiU and Bayonetta 2 and on Wii Zangeki no Regionliev which is maybe the bloodiest game on the system. More so than Madowrld or NMH.

I will say one thing. Nintendo needs to give them more exposure.

Edited by Ryudo, 21 March 2014 - 04:17 PM.

#9 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

The only game that struck me as great from that list is Xenoblade. Also Gears(didn't play the last one), Uncharted(the 3rd one was not good), Halo, and MGS all have had great games on their franchises that imo have not really gotten old, if anything I'm waiting for their next gen installment. I won't argue for COD or AssCreed or anything like that but I just find it wrong when people put these games(gears,uncharted,God of War) next to bad ones like those said games are awful which imo is ludicrous.

Which brings me to Nintendo and how I defend their 20 plus year old franchises because they manage to make them feel new( for the most part). It's just that when Nintendo creates new ip it's so low level that it might be good but it will never reach their long franchises like Zelda or Metroid. For instance the Pikmin series which is awesome but again imo is no where near Nintendos best franchise nor anywhere near something amazing.

Again I get what your saying but those dudes are F'ing dumb but many other people like myself love Nintendos franchises but also wish they would bring something grand into a new ip.

They probably havent gotten old to you, because the first time you played them was the first time you saw their genre arch types.

For those of us who have been around to see where they came from, they are EXTREMELY played out. The reason games like uncharted, gow, etc were so polished when they first came out, was because the respective genres and gameplay tropes had already had an entire generation to mature. I had already experienced an ENTIRE GENERATION of the specific kind of games that gave rise to gears uncharted etc. I was already getting fatuiged, I had already began to reach my saturation point at the end of the gc/xbox/ps2 generation, and that generation had WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY more variety than the hd twins gen, even within the same genres. Then they put it on repeat for SEVEN YEARS.

And now its happening again. It has to stop. The crash must happen. The big name publishers need to choke on their own crap until they die, so that indies can take over, and finally get budgets that can make more than a snack.

The list was a small sample. Could have put many other Wii or DS games there. Was mainly used as an Example. I know Nintendo has dabbed in more mature shooter games like FPS Giest on GCN and TPS Disaster Day of Crisis on Wii. They didn't sell very well if I recall.  X is no doubt Nintendo's first AAA new IP this gen. Nintendo has not backed away from publishing or developing more mature content either. From the already mention Cpn Rainbow to Disaster,Pandoras Tower then published Ninja Gaiden on WiiU and Bayonetta 2 and on Wii Zangeki no Regionliev which is maybe the bloodiest game on the system. More so than Madowrld or NMH.

I will say one thing. Nintendo needs to give them more exposure.

X is not AAA. X is the complete opposite of AAA.

AAA is a bracket designator that marketing teams use to label games that their projections foretell will have huge sales, so they alot a massive advertising budget to the project. It has nothing whatsoever to do with a games quality. That notion is misinformation that publisher pr and gamz girnoliz have used to condition people. I can only imagine how thrilled the marketing teams that have tricked people into thinking AAA= really good eoic game must be. Its like literally telling people to buy what you advertise. I can practically hear the sinister cackling.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#10 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:24 PM

Eh whatever still a big budget game for Monolith and they want to compete with Bethseda (why compete with a company who makes buggy unsimpired crap I dunno) but it's clear for Monolith this is the biggest project ever for them and in thier eyes AAA. By technical definition or otherwise.

yes I am a massive indie supporter. I been made most aware of it by my friend working on the Vita game who's at GDC right now.

Edited by Ryudo, 21 March 2014 - 07:45 PM.

#11 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:42 PM

I'm with 3Dude, other than the rare AAA title (I guess Dark Souls 2 is now a AAA title), I've been going indy. Kenshi, project zomboid, Mount and Blade, COD.. :P

#12 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

BALANCE! thats what Nintendo needs to aim for. They need to acquire more studios and give them the FREEDOM to make the games they want to make. yes i mean we understand Nintendo is about quality so make sure of games are up to our standards. Xenoblade had to have a fan complaint campaign just to be brought over to the west.... I wouldnt call that Nintendo support new Ip's. Nintendo can do better simply put.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!