33 replies to this topic

#21 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

Holy cow, this is probably one of the best-looking games I've ever seen... Not even exaggerating. It's so beautiful... ;A;

No 5-player with the gamepad is a huge disappointment, as I have a large family and in-laws that come over a lot, so it's be really nice to have that extra player. Not gonna stop me from buying this gorgeous game, though... :D

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#22 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

I'm kidn of concerned that if I buy this game I'llnever beat it, because I'll be too focused on these gorgeous graphics.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#23 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, tales, and online games.

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

I'm kidn of concerned that if I buy this game I'llnever beat it, because I'll be too focused on these gorgeous graphics.

Lol that reminds me of a story of a guy driving down the street in a new car looking at his reflection in the store windows, then bam! Into another car. It's now to forever be known as the Mario kart driving accident complex.......thingy.

#24 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:37 AM

Just look how much better MK8 looks compared with the first video's. That's what I call optimalisation. Correct me if I'm wrong but the lighting of the scenes is just soooo incredibly well done. It's what sets it apart from the rest. It looks like the scene's have some kind of global illumination applied to them. Some models and circuits have such nice shadows applied to the characters and models themselves. But in some screens it looks like there are multiple kinds of shadows applied. Objects on the actual track seem to use some lighter lighting engine, just the backgrounds and character models have so many shades. I can't get my ...around it, but I'm actually thinking this looks much more sophisticated to 3DWorld...but in that project the video's where nicer by every new release. Good to see they used that experience to optimize MK8 in its final stage. 

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#25 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:41 PM

POPULAR

Just look how much better MK8 looks compared with the first video's. That's what I call optimalisation. Correct me if I'm wrong but the lighting of the scenes is just soooo incredibly well done. It's what sets it apart from the rest. It looks like the scene's have some kind of global illumination applied to them. Some models and circuits have such nice shadows applied to the characters and models themselves. But in some screens it looks like there are multiple kinds of shadows applied. Objects on the actual track seem to use some lighter lighting engine, just the backgrounds and character models have so many shades. I can't get my ...around it, but I'm actually thinking this looks much more sophisticated to 3DWorld...but in that project the video's where nicer by every new release. Good to see they used that experience to optimize MK8 in its final stage.

Nintendos been getting into global illumination approximations pretty heavily since wii u released.

Nintendoland was first, then windwaker, this appears to take everything they learned and build on top of it with steroids, there are a quite a few prebaked gi solutions being layered in mk8.

There is the main source of light and its shadows (typically considered 'sun' light/shadows
there is Nintendos incredibly well done screen space ambient occlusion
Specular occlusion
gloss
normals alpa and beta (and vertex a, B)
wetness parameters (characters get wet, and then dry off)
and definately some emissive rgb work going on.

And just layered on top of it all are multiple light sources, animated cube maps (taken from the skybox maybe? the karts and metal mario reflect the fireworks on rainbow road, but not other karters or objects? on second thought, the fireworks are independent of the skybox, so probably another layered cube map featuring the fire work animations).

and so much animation. So incredibly animated. From the characters with animated hair, to animated mustaches blowing in the wind and bouncing from bumps, to tiny machinations in each kart like thumping speakers, to all the critters, road obstacles, cheering bystanders, independently floating boards on a dilapidated bridge, skidmarks that remain for laps....

And the layered textures holy bejeebus there are so manyblayers for texture transitions. So smooth.

The standards for this.... The standards this team set, demanded of themselves. This is what makes 'Nintendo magic'.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#26 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:50 PM

Nintendos been getting into global illumination approximations pretty heavily since wii u released.

Nintendoland was first, then windwaker, this appears to take everything they learned and build on top of it with steroids, there are a quite a few prebaked gi solutions being layered in mk8.

There is the main source of light and its shadows (typically considered 'sun' light/shadows
Specular occlusion
gloss

And just layered on top of it all are multiple light sources, animated cube maps (taken from the skybox maybe? the karts and metal mario reflect the fireworks on rainbow road, but not other karters or objects? on second thought, the fireworks are independent of the skybox, so probably another layered cube map featuring the fire work animations).

and so much animation. So incredibly animated. From the characters with animated hair, to animated mustaches blowing in the wind and bouncing from bumps, to tiny machinations in each kart like thumping speakers, to all the critters, road obstacles, cheering bystanders, independently floating boards on a dilapidated bridge, skidmarks that remain for laps....

And the layered textures holy bejeebus there are so manyblayers for texture transitions. So smooth.

The standards for this.... The standards this team set, demanded of themselves. This is what makes 'Nintendo magic'.

you said it as long as Nintendo keeps putting this much quality and effort into their games they will continue to get my money. People wonder why nintendo gamers dont buy piece of crap 3rd party games with little effort... this also shows why 3rd parties never can live up to nintendo quality. What this game has done is hyped up Zelda U for me I cannot wait to see what Zelda U pulls off with Wii U hardware... should be something special.

#27 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

It's a good time to be a Wii U owner, can't wait for this wonderful game.

#28 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:16 PM

It's a good time to be a Wii U owner, can't wait for this wonderful game.

yep

#29 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

#30 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:05 AM

Specular occlusion
gloss

Yup, they set the standards. Thanks for your in depth reply. I don't even understand how Nintendo manages to include all these technique's on such a high standard. I have real trouble if I wanted to achieve this in, say, C4D, and with huge rendertimes....To do this realtime!?!?

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#31 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:19 AM

Yup, they set the standards. Thanks for your in depth reply. I don't even understand how Nintendo manages to include all these technique's on such a high standard. I have real trouble if I wanted to achieve this in, say, C4D, and with huge rendertimes....To do this realtime!?!?

I know  right? How do they even take less than like 5 years to do this?

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#32 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:53 PM

Specular occlusion
gloss

I have no idea what you just said, but it sounds good, so... YEAH!

Nah, but seriously, I think I kinda understand what you're trying to say. Nintendo Land was absolutely gorgeous, and Mario Kart 8 looks very similar to me, almost like it's the same engine... Probably not, but still. :P

Can't wait to get this beautiful game.

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#33 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:06 PM

#34 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:39 AM

I have no idea what you just said, but it sounds good, so... YEAH!

Nah, but seriously, I think I kinda understand what you're trying to say. Nintendo Land was absolutely gorgeous, and Mario Kart 8 looks very similar to me, almost like it's the same engine... Probably not, but still. :P

Can't wait to get this beautiful game.

It may or may not be the same engine. Oot ran on the mario64 engine.

But it wouldnt be because of similar looking effects. Nintendo's graphics api, GX2, is a custom version of open gl (open graphics library). Its an expandable library, so whenever one nintendo team writes a nice shader or effect, improvement or optimization, and adds it to the library, any nintendo team can use it.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!