Photo

Do you blame the success of smartphones/iphones for the decline in console title

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:38 PM

s?

At the beginning of last gen, developers were releasing games much faster than they are now. There were more quality AAA titles within the first year of the PS3/WII/360's launch. Now it seems like most developers seem to want to develop their games on android/IOS because its much cheaper and safer to take a loss than on the next gen consoles. Sega, Square Enix, and Capcom are slowly transitioning into those markets, and I think that after this gen probably Square Enix will fully support Android/IOS. 

I think that we all have to factor them in the decline of titles, and its a shame really. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:45 PM

There aare a lot of things that factor into the consoel decline. I personally think its the economy and people are not willing to pay 400-500 for a box that plays video games. I do not think mobile games have anything to do with it. Mobile is a market that should be taken serious but I do not feel it is even close to affecting console game market. I think the main reaso console titles are becoming stale is because there is no freshness. We have the same things year after year. Next FPS title, Assassin creed title and so on.

#3 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:59 PM

Smartphones dont seem to be impacting ps4.

So I'm going to blame console makers for blurring the lines between smartphone type game hardware and console power.

A home console should be as powerful as humanly possible at a price point that isn't exceedingly daunting.

Otherwise, everyone will be using controllers with their iPads.

No reason for a console to exists of the power afforded by a standalone stationary unit connected to a large tv isn't the differentiating factor.

If it can fit in a portable form factor, it isn't powerful enough.

And games for consoles should make use of the power. Not phone games.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 20 April 2014 - 11:00 PM.

#4 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:01 AM

People aren't taking into account that gloabal economic downturn into things as well, companies are less likely to take risks and are more stringent with their purse strings during tough times, everyone is cutting back, spending less.

Also the only company that seems to have been affected by the mobile and tablet gaming market is Nintendo. Just take a look at Wii U and 3DS sales compared to their previous consoles for further evidence.

Anyway the first year is always slow for most consoles, I don't remember the 360 or PS3 having great launch line ups or great game line ups for the first year of their life spans.

Console gaming is fine.

#5 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:06 AM

I think it's mostly due to the cost of making AAA titles today. It leeds to a number of things - less developers can afford making the AAA titles, it takes longer to make them and above all, noone can afford the risk of making an innovative game, so we just get new versions of the same old games.

#6 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:15 AM

No, I just think this was something bound to happen at some point. At first consoles were somethimg of a luxury, then it become a household item every family felt compelled to buy, but now the novelty is wearing thin. As it is evident in your personal opinions over the years, no one whose played games over many years, gasms over every title they play nowadays. The only thing that has delayed it for so long is that you can experience a host of different scenarios that can challenge your mind and reaction speed.

Although, I don't think that effect will last nearly as long for mobile. The majority of mobile games are made to be short for quick download, and thus quality flickers so much faster. I think there are much larger factors cutting into console titles being sold less, such as digital stores, freebies, waning interest for long term players, a rise in end user knowledge (because I was certainly not using the internet ten odd years ago to assess a game's value), and an increased cost of living as we go along the flow of time restricting our general expense on games.

Edited by Auzzie Wingman, 21 April 2014 - 01:17 AM.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#7 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:31 AM

No. These people have NEVER been the target audience for deep console games.

Smart phones are nothing new. We used to play similar games all the time for 25 cents a pop. Then home consoles with deeper more engaging experiences took our attention, and we when we left the arcades, we stuck with home consoles. And then when the casuals and fad chasers (The always present market for simplistic arcadey games now making mobile gaming successful) left the arcade scene and they died.

Now simple arcade action is just as cheap, and infinitely more convenient. There has always been a market for simple arcade action at impulse prices, the biggest barrier, inconvenience, has been nuked. Anyone who has a phone, as in everyone, has instant access.

That still has nothing to do with console gamers.

So no, the blame doesnt have anything to do with smart phones, or their games, regaurdless of how crappy they are (there were a LOOOOOT of crappy arcade games).

It has to do with the blind greedy, moronic non gaming, ignorant, clueless marketing background ceo's of major publishing seeing a bunch of people spending stupid money on stupid games, and wanted to quadruple rape the console gamers by making them jump through all the bs they could find and monetizing out the wazoo to do it.

Because, 'games are just games right? If one person who plays one kind of game will pay for it. Than anyone who plays any kind of game will pay for it, because games are games, they are all the same anyway right?'

The blame rests ENTIRELY on AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA publishers who engage in these acts, who, coincidentally (Not really a coincidence), are the ones who have turned their games to complete rainbowe.

And whats REALLY sad, is people who werent around before, they think THIS IS HOW GAMING HAS ALWAYS BEEN. They think that the crappy repetitive nature of the current industry is how its always been, and think 'No wonder, people are just getting tired of gaming'.

But thats not the case. Gaming did not become this repetitive crapfest until a under a decade ago. There were new and engaging experiences, with new, different and interesting ways to play coming out all the time, until corporate asswipes decided they would only focus on making 3 kinds of games with nothing but cosmetic variations.

But people seriously believe this is how its always been. They believe 'thats just what gaming is'. They have been failed horribly. Its not fair, and its not right. But its still true. Just look at Auzzie Wingmans post.

Yes, Auzzie, I still gasm at every great NEW game experience I play. They just arent made NEARLY as much as they used to thanks to the corporate asswipimization of the industry.

Metal gear rising was a blast, vanquish was amazing, The wonderful 101's gameplay was mind blowing when it clicked. Xenoblade was absolutely fantastic. Dragons dogma was delicious.

The reason we dont 'gasm' over every game anymore, is because for 99% of the industry, they only make the same damn 3 kinds of games over and over and over again, with simply a different story, and a different coat of paint, because its cost effective. Its because gaming has gotten much, much, much worse, not because its 'worn off'.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#8 SteventheSlayer

SteventheSlayer

Blooper

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Fandom:
    Old-School Nintendo Fan

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

Consoles just don't have very much over pcs/mobiles anymore. 

I don't even...

#9 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:22 AM

Imo it's purely pricing.

Most won't pay $300- $400 up front for a system. Then $60 a game.

But a ton of people have gotten cellphones $600-$800 ones, on a payment plan of some sort.

Then they download a demo or full game for free.
Then most retail cellphone games are under $10.
Most are a few dollars. And then people don't even pay for them. They get added to there cellphone bill that next month and they just go along with it and pay there bill.

That's why I believe things are so different.
it's just to different markets. You got your angry bird, candy crush people. Then you got your Zelda, online fps, sports type, etc...
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#10 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

No it's the stagnating greed of AAA developers. Lets release the same game every single year. Lets release a bunch of exclusives from last gen to this one and charge full price. Lets make bug ridden glitch broken games and hype them up as the best thing ever. Lets give everyone 3 games based around the same boring character everyone hates for our flagship franchise. Lets not release full games but broken up in micro transactions and DLC.

That is what hurts gaming in consoles.

#11 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:53 PM

No it's the stagnating greed of AAA developers. Lets release the same game every single year. Lets release a bunch of exclusives from last gen to this one and charge full price. Lets make bug ridden glitch broken games and hype them up as the best thing ever. Lets give everyone 3 games based around the same boring character everyone hates for our flagship franchise. Lets not release full games but broken up in micro transactions and DLC.

That is what hurts gaming in consoles.

This 100%

#12 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

No, I blame the console dev kits for costing a fortune for indies...

Edited by Porridge, 23 April 2014 - 10:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!