• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

I was wondering if you had any idea how the Fire TV hardware compares to that of the PS3/360. To save you research, I'll list what I know of the Fire TV hardware:

Snapdragon 600
1.7GHz quad-core CPU
Adreno 320 GPU
400MHz (I suspect) GPU clock speed
About 4 ROPs, 8 TMUs, and 96 shaders (24 vec-4). Unified shader architecture
2GB RAM with about an 8.4GB/second memory bandwidth

I personally estimate it to be about half as fast as the 360/PS3, but you never know. The Wii U looks to only be about as fast as the 360/PS3 to the untrained eye.

Of course, even if the Fire TV WAS as powerful as the 360/PS3, it probably wouldn't show, as games are best kept within the 300MB-1.5GB range due to space contraints on the Fire TV which aren't near as bad on a 360/PS3 disc.

I ask because I'd like to make a game for the Fire TV, a 3D game, and was wondering about polygon counts and texture sizes to limit to. Then again, I keep saying I'll make a game but costs always weight in too much, like the $3000 Wii U dev kit. I don't expect this to happen with the Fire TV, but you never know.

I'm making a much smaller game right now though, that is 2D. Hope this isn't considered advertising, but here is a

picture:

5uh7qv.jpg

The 3D game I want to make, I was thinking about keeping polygon counts to about 5k/character and with 512x512 textures, which will also keep download sizes small, and using any extra leftover power, which I'm almost sure there will be at those constraints, for shaders.

Anyway, I have talked your ear off enough. I was just wondering.

Edited by Porridge, 23 April 2014 - 09:36 AM.

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

Why not PM her?

those specs look like rainbow.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

Well, you are going to be losing a LOT of floating point power in the cpu. But thats okay, ps360 were kinda anamolies in that regaurd. arm flops compare pretty poorly even compared to x86 flops as they seem to be limited to 2 flops per cycle for FMAC and 1 for non fmac for 64bit precision... Which ps360 already have beat and with about double the cycles available...

The architecture was benched at 0.

2 mops per hz, so thats a pretty easy calculation for you.

Your gpu is where you want your flops, and with 96 shaders (bummer its not using the 330), you are looking at around 86 gflops.... Also pretty handedly beat by ps360.

Its a pretty fair beating all around.

The kraits best trait is that they are usable with devices that run on batteries, Something ps360 dont remotely care about.

Still, it is a more modern shader set, with modern support. For a one man or small team job, like you said, it is more than powerful enough for you to do what you want. And certainly more than powerful enough to make a fantastic looking game in the right hands.

(I think anything as powerful as a ps2 meets that criteria)

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!