• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:25 AM

The PlayStation division is doing fine, and the PS4 is selling like hotcakes topped with freshly sliced bananas and hot fudge. But that won't necessarily save the massive Japanese electronics company's bottom line. They have changed their forecast for the fiscal year, taking the projected loss up from $1.07 billion to almost $1.3 billion -- a $200 million difference.

Sony sold off their entire PC division recently and laid off about 5,000 workers, so that didn't help. They blame lower than expected PC sales for the end of the year as well.  Even against their predicted 14 percent increase in sales over last year, it's not looking good. 

Sony has been trying to make up some cash. They recently sold off their Square Enix shares, and before that they sold off their New York and Tokyo headquarters buildings. 

Hang in there, Sony. If it makes you feel better, know that I'm supporting the hell out of your camera and games divisions. 

Sony downgrades forecasts as it dumps PC business [Gamasutra]

17,000 jobs cut since 2012. Billions lost.

Nintendo Doomed.

Edited by DreamCat, 01 May 2014 - 07:33 AM.

#2 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:29 AM

Dang....

When will it stop?

#3 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:46 AM

Not funny... But what if... Lol

Sony and MS drop out of the Console market. Nintendo staying as the one and only....then denying EA and Activision licenses to publish games on Nintendo hardware... Ah, one can dream

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#4 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

Not likely, but I think we will find out when the three companies's reveal their next gen plans in a few years. Nintendo will probably have learned from their mistakes with the Wii U and it's launch, while Microsoft will be thinking hard about if they want to continue on selling consoles. And I'm pretty sure steamboxes might just push them over the edg.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#5 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

Not likely, but I think we will find out when the three companies's reveal their next gen plans in a few years. Nintendo will probably have learned from their mistakes with the Wii U and it's launch, while Microsoft will be thinking hard about if they want to continue on selling consoles. And I'm pretty sure steamboxes might just push them over the edg.

I don't think steamboxes will do as great as they think, it doesn't seem to be generating hype, the only people who will buy it are pc gamers and people who want to start PC gaming will get a gaming PC. 

Anyway getting off topic, I think Sony should stick to gaming only now, it's the only thing they have that's keeping them relevant and no one really wants a sony tv or are buying one. Think about the money they could be making with just the PS4, 

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

The PlayStation division is doing fine, and the PS4 is selling like hotcakes
17,000 jobs cut since 2012. Billions lost.

Sure sounds fine to me.

Sony and MS drop out of the Console market. Nintendo staying as the one and only....then denying EA and Activision licenses to publish games on Nintendo hardware... Ah, one can dream

Activision support Nintendo well enough.
They'd be fine on the pc market regardless.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

I think the PS4 is one of the few things that will make them money tbh. Microsoft  might reconsider it if the Xbox One doesn't really pick up.

No sig.

#8 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:14 AM

The only logical thing we can take from this is that 

2yjrlp5.jpg

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#9 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:41 AM

I like the way 5000 people losing their incomes in which they need to survive and the potential possibly of thousands of more job cuts is amusing to people. As much as I am not Sony's biggest fan, I don't like seeing any company fail because it's the ordinary men and women who depend on an income to live that suffer the most. #

I hope those 5000 people find new jobs soon and I hope Sony recovers from this awful mess it finds itself in.

#10 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:58 AM

Wonder if Sony could just focus on a handful of things and not tap into every electrical market they would be better off. If they have fewer products then they wouldn't need to pay for more staff etc to keep everything running.

That, and just admit defeat to Nintendo in the handheld market. Sony's handhelds must be a leech on the company.

#11 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:06 PM

Sony isnt doomed... Project Morpheus will prove to be a brilliant investment and bring them back into the black

/sarcasm

#12 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:45 PM

I like the way 5000 people losing their incomes in which they need to survive and the potential possibly of thousands of more job cuts is amusing to people. As much as I am not Sony's biggest fan, I don't like seeing any company fail because it's the ordinary men and women who depend on an income to live that suffer the most. #

I hope those 5000 people find new jobs soon and I hope Sony recovers from this awful mess it finds itself in.

Sony Fangirl Alert.

They're getting jobs are companies with a future, like Retro Studios.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#13 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:06 PM

Not amusing. Just shows how people praise one company that is sinking and doom another that is having none of those problems.

And honey you don't really care don't act like you do. If it was the other way around you would be saying unicorn tongue like "about time"

The only time Job losses are funny is at Zynga

Edited by DreamCat, 01 May 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#14 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:06 PM

You have titles like "Sony Fires a Million People" and people will be like, "Just a scratch, mang."

Meanwhile, if you have titles like, "Riggie Fils-Aime Accidentally Drops Fork at the Salad Bar", people will be like, "Nintendo am doom!"

Edited by Tom, 01 May 2014 - 04:06 PM.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#15 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

You have titles like "Sony Fires a Million People" and people will be like, "Just a scratch, mang."

Meanwhile, if you have titles like, "Riggie Fils-Aime Accidentally Drops Fork at the Salad Bar", people will be like, "Nintendo am doom!"

More like if Iwata passes gas

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#16 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

And honey you don't really care don't act like you do. If it was the other way around you would be saying unicorn tongue like "about time"

Please don't tell me what I do and do not care about.

Not that anything will be done about your rudeness, I'm sure I'll get my fourth warning point for this post as it would appear that I'm the only rude individual on this forum.

Edited by SailtheSeas, 02 May 2014 - 09:22 AM.

#17 ChrisD

ChrisD

Nyah, see! Nyah!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Fandom:
    PCSoTendo. Because fanboyism is dumb.

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

Wonder if Sony could just focus on a handful of things and not tap into every electrical market they would be better off. If they have fewer products then they wouldn't need to pay for more staff etc to keep everything running.

Certainly seems like they could find some "fat" to cut off. Other than employees, that is.

I know the PS4 is selling really well, but has anything shown that it's profitable yet? Or is that not something you would expect to see in the first year before the attach rate gets a bit higher?

Edit: ALSO NOT SAYING CUT THE PS4. Just in case it came across that way. I just know that with how successful PS4 is, if it's not netting profit... What is?

Edited by ChrisD, 02 May 2014 - 10:54 AM.

#18 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

Certainly seems like they could find some "fat" to cut off. Other than employees, that is.

I know the PS4 is selling really well, but has anything shown that it's profitable yet? Or is that not something you would expect to see in the first year before the attach rate gets a bit higher?

Edit: ALSO NOT SAYING CUT THE PS4. Just in case it came across that way. I just know that with how successful PS4 is, if it's not netting profit... What is?

I'm certain Sony said before launch that they would be making profit on every PS4 sold, unlike PS3 which was sold at a loss for a long time.

That's pretty incredible considering they made PS4 the most powerful console even with pricey ram and are selling for a reasonable price.

Edited by Toilet_Snaker, 02 May 2014 - 02:15 PM.

#19 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:58 PM

That would be sweet. Maybe Sega will start a new console to keep competition alive.

#20 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:50 PM

That would be sweet. Maybe Sega will start a new console to keep competition alive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!