Photo

Crytek: 8GB RAM Can Be Easily Filled Up, Will Surely Be Limiting Factor on PS4/X

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

While the PS4 and Xbox One wowed developers and consumers alike with their copious amounts of RAM – the PS4 more so since it sports 8 GB GDDR5 RAM in a unified architecture – it’s not as though it’ll be difficult to fill up. In fact, that time may come sooner than later according to Crytek’s US Engine Business Development Manager Sean Tracy.

We recently interviewed Havok’s head of product management Andrew Bowell about the 8 GB of RAM in both consoles and had been informed that artists will have no trouble occupying it all. Does Tracy also believe there will be a shortage of RAM in this generation as well?

“I would have to agree with the viewpoint that 8 gigs can easily be filled up, but also keep in mind that developers don’t necessarily even have access to all 8 gigs of it. For example the Xbox One retains some of the RAM for OS purposes. Since technology, as Ray Kurweil states, progresses exponentially, we will soon find that the computational requirements of games will quickly hit the ceiling of a few gigs of ram. We already had to manage quite intensely our memory usage throughout Ryse and this will be one of the limiting factors surely in this generation.

“As hardware gets stronger the complexity of scenes can be increased and the dynamism within them. However, with that said it’s not the raw power alone that will allow for photo-realistic graphics but technology that intelligently scales and utilizes all that the hardware has to offer.”

So again, it will come down to who best optimizes their games for the hardware that both the PS4 and Xbox One offer. It may be a few years till developers are confidently using all the power a system has to provide but it remains to be seen how they’ll go about achieving the same. What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments below.

Read more at http://gamingbolt.co...ry0EVrw0EdPg.99

http://gamingbolt.co...-on-ps4xbox-one

Pretty sure they were the ones that wanted 8GB of Ram. Seems like you can't satisfy them, lol. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:23 PM

Well, they did say 8GB minimum.

But, you can always use up memory. Its incredibly easy to blow GB's on things.

'So again, it will come down to who best optimizes their games for the hardware that both the PS4 and Xbox One offer. It may be a few years till developers are confidently using all the power a system has to provide but it remains to be seen how they’ll go about achieving the same.'

Pretty solid response all around from crytek guy.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#3 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:45 PM

o no wiiu am dooom

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#4 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:12 PM

these developer wouldnt gain anything by mentioning Wii U in the same interview. lets all get through our head Shin'en is probably going to be the only developer that talks about what Wii U can do and the obvious "Wii U is a powerful machine/box" that comes from every 1st party developer fro nintendo.

edit: I stand corrected i read the interview and he did mention Wii U not much but did say Wii U. I have to give them props for at least making sure that their new Engine supported Wii U now lets see who makes a game for it.

QUESTION: which engine is sonic boom using the old crytek 3 or the newer Crytek engine?

Edited by GAMER1984, 18 May 2014 - 11:22 PM.

#5 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:32 PM

Whatever shall wiiu owners do

Spoiler

Edited by Ryudo, 18 May 2014 - 11:32 PM.

#6 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:54 PM

Spoiler

to be fair only one of those games have been released yet... I wont judge until I see it on my BIG screen.

#7 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:03 AM

to be fair only one of those games have been released yet... I wont judge until I see it on my BIG screen.

Release or not does not matter. Running on WiiU. Fact. Games look great. so 8GB or 1GB. use the hardware right and can do alot.

Further proof optimization wins over numbers http://gizmodo.com/t...ld-f-1565294456

Edited by Ryudo, 19 May 2014 - 12:34 AM.

#8 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:17 AM

Spoiler

Nice

#9 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:30 AM

Release or not does not matter. Running on WiiU. Fact. Games look great. so 8GB or 1GB. use the hardware right and can do alot.

Further proof optimization wins over numbers http://gizmodo.com/t...ld-f-1565294456

Well that has always been the issue with developers. I never said they did not look good I was just playing devil advocate.3dworld is the only one as of right now that we can turn on our tv's and check out the graphics for ourselves and say wow. E3 is going to be interesting to see what they show for Wii U and what it can do.

#10 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:24 AM

http://www.vg247.com...ch-of-consoles/

Oh Crytek, making an actual good game should be your priority.

Edited by Toilet_Snaker, 19 May 2014 - 02:33 AM.

#11 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:46 AM

The days of Optimizing are over, lets fix things by adding more ram, brilliant!

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#12 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

Spoiler

A lot of those games still look jagged or have average poly-count. But still, for a system with "only" 1GB RAM which is supposedly "Underpowered" according to lazy developpers, it's pretty nice.

Crytek and their 8GB.. they just want to look like graphic gods. They want to be cool so they say "Not even 8GB is enough to make our games look great, we're that talented"

No sig.

#13 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:38 AM

The video I posted is using 64 Kilobytes

#14 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

The days of Optimizing are over, lets fix things by adding more ram, brilliant!

Thats like the exact opposite of what ended up being said...

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#15 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

That's like the exact opposite of what ended up being said...

It still doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't be using up all available ram already,

I mean it shouldn't even be an issue worth discussing, optimizing should be a thing every developer knows about and should be doing. 

#16 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:11 AM

It still doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't be using up all available ram already,

I mean it shouldn't even be an issue worth discussing, optimizing should be a thing every developer knows about and should be doing. 

Crytek can't spell optimization let alone know what it is.

#17 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:25 AM

Crytek Rep from article in OP which nobody read.

'So again, it will come down to who best optimizes their games for the hardware that both the PS4 and Xbox One offer. It may be a few years till developers are confidently using all the power a system has to provide but it remains to be seen how they’ll go about achieving the same.'

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#18 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

It's basically a PC inside a PS4/Xbox One, they already know how to use the power of those systems, again, optimizing should be a default thing, not worth discussing, should be a set thing that every developer does to avoid stuff like using all ram. THIS SHOULDN'T BE A THING! That's what I'm trying to get at. 

#19 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

Doesn't matter it's crytek. They can say all they want. They can't do it. This is just the begining of them saying herp de derp consoles hold back our vision. Soon they won't be so nice sounding and then more devs say the same thing. Just like last gen. These guys can't even make a game that works using all the gigs and megas and hertz and whatnots on PC,let alone optimize on a console.

#20 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:43 AM

But these are all nintendo published games, i seriously doubt the big screen will change much. It didn't with mk8 or mario 3D world.

if these were ubisoft games on the other hand...

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!