Photo

Can I use a high speed microsd card in USB adaptor instead of a HDD?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:25 AM

I used to be able to fit my entire game collection in a 16gb cruzer fit, with is a microscopic USB drive that only has a tiny bit of plastic sticking out of the port. But after I decided to go all-digital, my game collection ballooned to about 70 titles and 50GB combined. So I had to get a used 500gb hard drive, but it feels a bit pointless having a hard drive that's nearly empty and is another thing hanging off of the Wii U. I was thinking of getting a 64gb version of the drive, but I'll problably exceed that size soon. i want a 128GB drives, but they only come in a larger format that I worry might break if the Wii u gets moved.

I have seen those microscopic microsd card readers that completely dissapear inside a USB port, and they do make 128GB cards. Does anyone know if this would be a good solution, or would I encounter incompatibility issues or slow speeds? thanks.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#2 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

Nope. It's just for Wii data.

#3 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

only if I use the built in card reader. If I use a USB card reader it's treated as a USB drive. However, the cards i was looking at are counterfeit and the genuine cards are out of my price range.

I'll just wait until the make a 128GB thumbnail drive.

Edited by grahamf, 23 May 2014 - 11:52 AM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#4 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

Forgot to mention I think they do make cards that size but WiiU only ready up to 32GB card even if you could use it for WiiU data. Also they are 200$ when for 50$ get a 500GB External HDD.

Edited by Ryudo, 23 May 2014 - 11:45 AM.

#5 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:45 AM

Nope. It's just for Wii data.

No that is the SD card port, they were referring to plugging in a USB SD card reader which is essentially the same as a USB stick.

That should work but it might not be as reliable as a USB stick which should have their own wear leveling.  Also as you point out, a HDD is a LOT cheaper per GB so the only point really is if you already have some SD cards to use or know the can reuse the one you bought for the Wii U later if you upgrade.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 23 May 2014 - 11:50 AM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:41 PM

yes you can, been know since a day after us launch.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 EskobarM92

EskobarM92

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • NNID:EskobarM92

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:15 PM

Cool but I think I'll buy a HDD. I could use 32GB but its in my 3DS.

I'm good for now though 16GB free and MK8 is under 5GB.

Edited by EskobarM92, 23 May 2014 - 04:22 PM.

Eskobar+M92.png

Wii U: EskobarM92, Xbox One: Eskobar M92, PS4: Eskobar-M92

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!