#1 Ostro

Ostro

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dreamcast, Shmups

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:02 AM

I'd like to read about your opinions about DLC and digital game distribution.

Do you like it? Do you use it?

I don't like it at all. It makes me feel games become more expensive although they should be cheaper. I can buy new games for 40$. When I check online they almost charge the retail price (mostly around 50$). Now, why? They don't need a case, no disc, no manual, no cover, not even the retail-% when they sell it directly (a game is a little above 20$ for a shop and they sell it for ... you know how much) so imagine how much money they make with this stuff when there's no retailer and no real product involved.

But I have to admit that I use it. Only for games that are digital only, though. If there is a game I want to play and know I will like it, the ~10$ are alright.

I understand the great thing about it (cheaper, people get things faster, games can grow and games can be patched) but all those things don't really convince me.

#2 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:50 AM

I like the idea of downloading games, and being able to store lots of titles on your device. However, I found that with the Playstation store, these games were expensive, and unlike disc copies, they don't seem to go down in price at all. This is what put me off getting a PSP Go.

I do like the Apple App STore though. I know a lot of people don't like iPhones, but you can download good ports of DS and PSP game, such as GTA Chinatown Wars, for a few pounds. There are also lots of other good downloadable games such as Infinity Blade and Real Racing 2.

#3 Ruthie

Ruthie

Blooper

• Writers
  • 170 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Final Fantasy, Uncharted, Ratchet

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:32 AM

I'm half and half about digital distribution. It depends on what it is and what it for, for downloading new games, unless the price is cheaper then there is no point,like AMAC said it was annoying that Sony wasn't really lowering the prices for digital downloads of new games. I also quite like physical games cases, may not be very enviromental but oh well :P

I think digital distribution is working well for downloading little games for you to waste a few minutes on and classics that you can't really buy anymore like PS Onee and old Nintendo games for the Wii. I also like what Nintendo are doing for the 3DS in terms of downloading Gameboy classics.

But as for downloading new games, I'm not so sure.
Assistant Writer of Wii U Go and Vita/3DS enthusiast.

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:59 PM

DLC is the devil unless it's more story.
It shouldn't be used to make you buy the same game multiple times.
It shouldn't be used to fix a game after release.

I use steam. Downloadable games is great so long as I keep ownership of them.

Edited by Nollog, 11 May 2011 - 03:59 PM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 kjhg53

kjhg53

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Pokemon, Paper Mario, BIT.TRIP

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

In terms of add-ons, or stuff that should of came with the game, well I don't like it. As for digital games, it depends. Services like VC and WiiWare I jump on (I have about 40+ VC/WiiWare games), but a full game that could be sold on a disc, I don't know. I have yet to buy one and I doubt I will ever. So I guess as long as the game if cheap (around $5-$15) I'd buy it. Over that, no.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

Depends how it's utilized...

For instance, am I going to spend $50 on a downloadable game, when I can spend the same amount and get a shiny tin case, too? No.

Would I download a game that would cost me $100+ to import? Yes.

This is a huuuge positive of downloadable games; they can save you ALOT of money when it comes to foreign games. Though I have yet to purchase a foreign game (i.e. untranslated :P), I have stared at them often... Some people here may remember that I was planning to buy a Japanese 3DS before I realized it would be $500 :D

DLC is a bit different...

Will I buy new songs for a rhythm game that didn't include any good songs on the disk? No.

Am I fine with a company releasing something unrelated to gameplay as payed DLC? Sure. (And if Marth ever gets an Archer costume in brawl, I will pay for it twice :D)

Will I allow developers to release games with slightly less content than expected, as long as they promise free new stuff? (via Spotpass, for example) Yes.

I don't mind DLC as long as I'm not paying for the game again. Which is what the PS360 caused by making the development costs so high... How else will they make a profit?
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#7 Ruthie

Ruthie

Blooper

• Writers
  • 170 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:12 AM

Depends how it's utilized...

For instance, am I going to spend $50 on a downloadable game, when I can spend the same amount and get a shiny tin case, too? No.

Would I download a game that would cost me $100+ to import? Yes.

This is a huuuge positive of downloadable games; they can save you ALOT of money when it comes to foreign games. Though I have yet to purchase a foreign game (i.e. untranslated :P), I have stared at them often... Some people here may remember that I was planning to buy a Japanese 3DS before I realized it would be $500 :D

DLC is a bit different...

Will I buy new songs for a rhythm game that didn't include any good songs on the disk? No.

Am I fine with a company releasing something unrelated to gameplay as payed DLC? Sure. (And if Marth ever gets an Archer costume in brawl, I will pay for it twice :D)

Will I allow developers to release games with slightly less content than expected, as long as they promise free new stuff? (via Spotpass, for example) Yes.

I don't mind DLC as long as I'm not paying for the game again. Which is what the PS360 caused by making the development costs so high... How else will they make a profit?

A good example of dlc working well on the 3DS is Dead or Alive Dimensions giving daily downloadable content.

#8 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:07 PM

^

Exactly. In fact, Koei seems to be leading the charge for 3rd party SpotPass; Samurai Warriors has bonus levels! (Not yet here, though :P)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#9 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:20 PM

I use Games on demand because the games are actually cheaper in it than in my town, and because the disc tray of my Xbox died.
DGD is useful. you may think that it's overpriced or something like that, but put yourself in a town where there are no game stores and if you find a game it's usually $120. Now that game for $40 doesn't sound too bad, right? And there are other good thing's about it. Like lower loading times, you have a legal backup on your account and you don't have to worry about scratches.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#10 Ruthie

Ruthie

Blooper

• Writers
  • 170 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 May 2011 - 02:56 PM

I don't like DLC being used as an excuse of releasing half done games with no content, I only like it when it enhances an already full game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!