• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nintendoes

Nintendoes

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

OK so this is what I think Nintendo is planing. When sales for the PS1 and PS2 were higher than the N64 and the Gamecube ,respectively, Nintendo decided that powerful systems couldn't beat Sony. So they went casual for one system only. Here is their plan:

1. Make the Wii and make it sell better than the Xbox 360 and PS3

2. Sony and Microsoft try to copy Nintendo to make money (like always) so they make a casual system

3. Nintendo makes the Wii U first all causal gamers buy that and don't buy the Xbox 720 or PS4

4. The hardcore gamer see that Nintendo releases "hardcore" games now and go to them because Sony and Microsoft is not hardcore anymore.

Now the Big N has everybody and Sony and Microsoft have nobody.

What do you think? Comment!

#2 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

AMAZING ! i have been thinking about their strategy for awile and i think you just summed it up right there. it seems like every generation the company with the least amount of console sales usually makes a more underpowered, cheap console to catch up with the competitors . I have a bad feeling sony will try to do what the wii did and think of something generally new and elaborate next gen

Edited by hardcoreUfan, 18 December 2011 - 03:22 PM.

Signature_Fox.png

#3 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

AMAZING ! i have been thinking about their strategy for awile and i think you just summed it up right there. it seems like every generation the company with the least amount of console sales usually makes a more underpowered, cheap console to catch up with the competitors . I have a bad feeling sony will try to do what the wii did and think of something generally new and elaborate next gen

I don't really see Sony doing that. It's more likely to be Microsoft, they've been chasing the casual market ever since the release of Kinect, and it's been a strategy that is definitely working for them. The next Xbox could probably be the Wii of the 8th generation. Not too powerful and focusing mainly on motion controls. Microsoft just doesn't really have anything to offer to hardcore gamers anymore, especially after their, um... rather pathetic excuse for a conference at E3 2011 and E3 2010.

Sony will probably just do what they've always done and take the middle path. They've never really been one to focus on a single specific market. But I'd say they've definitely learnt from their mistakes with the PS3 and the PS4 could even end up being as much of a success at the PS1/2 were.

As for Nintendo... It's too early to say yet really. While I hope they'll start pumping out hardcore games like they did back in the Gamecube era, they haven't really shown anything yet. If they can make E3 2012 a success and show off a few good titles, maybe F-Zero U, Eternal Darkness 2, a new Metroid, or even an entirely original mature IP... Then I'll definitely be hyped.

Posted Image

#4 Nintendoes

Nintendoes

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:51 PM

Good point. The way I see it is 4 factors can make or brake the PS4:

1. Third-party support

2. Cost

3. Lanch Date

4. Nintendo and Microsoft

#5 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:55 PM

Hmmm, I don't see Microsoft or Sony abandoning their FPS crowd. I know its semantics, but I call people who play nothing but shooters casual gamers. I would also argue that "hardcore" gamers play on multiple consoles. They just enjoy gaming in general. They could put 5 hours into Skyrim one day, then put in Wii Sports Resort and have just as much fun.

Back on topic, I see Nintendo continuing to deliver their first party core games, which they did a fantastic job of for Wii. The key to changing the perception of being a casual console is to get the hardcore third party titles to come to Wii U. Gaining strong third party support and maybe even a few blockbuster exclusives is what Wii U needs. Nintendo tried to demonstrate at E3 2011 that they're lobbying for third party support... hopefully it works out. I don't believe hardware is inherently "hardcore" or "casual". Its the games and certain features/apps (online community, etc.) that determine the reputation of a system.

I'm not sure exactly what Microsoft and Sony will do. Can they afford to do more of the same? I do know that Nintendo's next move is very easy to see and if I were in marketing, I would rather work for Nintendo right now because the right move seems to be more clear at the moment.

#6 HaoSenVastForest

HaoSenVastForest

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 686 posts
  • Fandom:
    Everything LoZ!!!

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

I actually think that this was planned out for quite a while. Like when the Wii came out they lost what little hardcore gamers that they had. However it brought almost all of the casual gamers into it. Then when the WiiU comes out I think that they would not only have the casual gamers that they originally had and add onto that they are getting allot of those hardcore gamers back that they lost with the Wii. So this sounds like what they have been trying to do. The WiiU may also end up getting allot of Sony fans because of Sony's recent copying. So I really think that Nintendo had something up their sleeve for quite a while now.
(PS I am not trying to hate Sony I am just stating that they have somewhat of lack of originality)

Posted Image

In a world of Gray and black there is nothing here to take back...

(Words from your local demon and leader of the army of darkness)

#7 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:14 PM

I don't really see Sony doing that. It's more likely to be Microsoft, they've been chasing the casual market ever since the release of Kinect, and it's been a strategy that is definitely working for them. The next Xbox could probably be the Wii of the 8th generation. Not too powerful and focusing mainly on motion controls. Microsoft just doesn't really have anything to offer to hardcore gamers anymore, especially after their, um... rather pathetic excuse for a conference at E3 2011 and E3 2010.

Sony will probably just do what they've always done and take the middle path. They've never really been one to focus on a single specific market. But I'd say they've definitely learnt from their mistakes with the PS3 and the PS4 could even end up being as much of a success at the PS1/2 were.

As for Nintendo... It's too early to say yet really. While I hope they'll start pumping out hardcore games like they did back in the Gamecube era, they haven't really shown anything yet. If they can make E3 2012 a success and show off a few good titles, maybe F-Zero U, Eternal Darkness 2, a new Metroid, or even an entirely original mature IP... Then I'll definitely be hyped.

Actually what youre saying makes a lot of since now that you say that. Microsoft will probably go down the casual route. i only mentioned sony because of ps4 rumors in 2011 where it was rumored that the people developing the ps4 said it had a kinect like machine inside of it.

Edited by hardcoreUfan, 19 December 2011 - 12:15 PM.

Signature_Fox.png

#8 Nintendoes

Nintendoes

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

Well it all pretty much breaks down into 3rd parties. If most 3rd parties stay at Nintendo then Nintendo wins right there. If an equal amount stay with Nintendo and Sony well the other options go into play. Sony is losing money at a fast rate due to selling their system at a loss and if Nintendo kills the PS4 then Sony is either down or completely out of the gaming industry. It is HIGHLY likely that the Wii U is going to win. I will follow up on this post shortly

#9 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:41 PM

Nintendo said when they made the Wii they weren't targeting the casual gamer. They thought the innovative motion controls would convince developers to make some awesome hardcore games. However thid parties chose to abandon the console or make shovelware for It and the wii was branded as a casual console from there on.

All of Nintendo's consoles have always had the goal of aiming towards the largest possible gaming audience with a balance of hardcore and casual and all age groups. The Wii was not supposed it be a casual gamer and Nintendo never meant to abandon hardcore gamers. That's why all the first party games from Nintendo were high quality titles that hardcore gamers loved.
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#10 Nintendoes

Nintendoes

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:30 PM

When the Wii U launches it will carry the momentum of the Wii on. In this way Nintendo will beat Sony before the PS4 launch because the Nintendo casual fan base is bigger than the Sony fan base. Not to mention all the hardcore fans Nintendo is getting back ;). Also the less powerful machine of the gen that releases first tend to sell more (PS1 and PS2).

#11 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:02 AM

i have literally had the same thought process so many times before, this seems very possible :D that is what logically should happen, HOWEVER, this means that "hard core gamers" need to buy two consoles next gen, first ps4/720 then decide to switch to wii u when they realise its better. now with wii u being really expensive and the economy going bad in most of the world, are people going to be able to do this? im worried about that alone, if the economy gets better then we have nothing to fear and nintendo should triumph next gen :D
Posted Image

#12 Nintendoes

Nintendoes

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:03 PM

Well with the media you can tell if you want it or not. I mean would a hardcore gamer buy Kinect after E3 2010 and E3 2011. Unless they are total xbots then no.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!