Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:30 AM

Let me be clear by saying that I’ve played nearly every single Sonic game. Yes, even the bad ones. As a Sonic fan from the early 90’s it’s hard to pass up any of his games. And even though people claim his 3D adventures sucked I actually enjoyed many of them especially SA, SA2, and Generations. Up until now though it’s been well known that Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog are the worst things to ever happen to the Sonic universe (Spinball for me). Well, after my time spent with the Sonic Boom E3 demo, I walked away frightened and shaken feeling that this could very well be the worst Sonic game made to date.

My E3 demo allowed me to explore a few of the game’s different themed levels. There was platforming, running, and a boss battle—each showing the unique aspects of Sonic Boom. The first platforming stage paired me up with Knuckles and it was sort of a brawler type stage. Straight from the get-go I felt something was incredibly off. The timing and precision when attacking enemies felt very clunky and some of my attacks barely registered. This also applied to many of the segments that involved jumping. Then came the lasso. Oh, god. Every time your character needs to pull something they would use this energy lasso, which in concept sounds interesting but ends up feeling dull in practice. It’s basically a web shot mechanic we see in Spiderman games except it’s highly broken and requires a lot of effort to get something simple accomplished. For example, when trying to move the box I had trouble trying to get the lasso to register properly and even when it did it required me to keep pressing down on the A button and move in a certain direction. The one before me (who was playing Sonic Boom at the Nintendo booth) gave up entirely because the lasso didn’t work half the time. I only did it because I wanted to see what was at the end of the demo. Turns out it was a mini-boss which can only be defeated using the lasso by throwing enemies at it. The only problem with was the throwing distance felt off. At times the enemies I threw landed close to where they were supposed to causing more frustration.

This leads to my next biggest problem with my Sonic Boom impression, the pacing. This game is slow. Like, Werehog stages slow, maybe even slower considering the lasso takes forever to get something done. I understand that this is an adventure take on the Sonic universe and I honestly don’t mind that at all. But between the long fights, and moving objects around, it just felt kinda boring. There were diversions that broke up the action. For instance I used the Wii U’s gamepad screen to scan the level for items and then dig them out using Knuckles.

Speaking of which, character swapping was actually a good surprise. One of the few things I enjoyed in my demo is the ability to switch chracters in my party on the fly. The problem with that was some characters suddenly lost their traditional abilities. Knuckles for instance couldn’t glide (but could still climb) and I couldn’t get Tails to fly either. It was baffling considering these were among the staple character traits. It’s like Mario suddenly couldn’t stomp enemies.

My next experience was the running stage which thankfully served to be a lot more fun. The dodging and jumping felt more precise than Sonic Generations’ hectic LB or RB moments. It was fun and had momentum. But even when playing that the third, and possibly worst aspect to Sonic Boom appeared, poor visual quality. The game reeks of it.

Throughout my entire play session, I was incredibly disappointed by the graphics. This game looked uh-gley. Low res textures and objects that would pop-in and pop-out randomly were normal in Sonic Boom. This became more prominent in the boss battle against Eggman which involved multiple missiles, enemies, and things trying to kill Sonic and his friends at once. The framerate began to stutter almost as though the Wii U was struggling to keep up. Sonic Lost World looked way more polished than this and that game ran at 60 FPS. At times it even looked like a really good Wii game. Even Sonic 06 looked better than Sonic Boom. Yes, it’s that ugly. I also couldn’t help but feel surprised because, and if I recall correctly, the first Sonic Boom trailer looked spectacular and really boosted the CryEngine. When it came to E3 everything was dumbed down in quality. I left two videos below for comparison.

http://www.vgstation...ver-played.html

Another Watchdogs situation.

Sad really.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

As long as there isn't a human princess kissing a dead hedgehog in the mouth, it will not be the worst Sonic game. Anyhow, Sonic Boom is a spinoff game and I doubt it will be worse than Sonic Labyrinth. 

Edited by magiciandude, 22 June 2014 - 10:12 AM.

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#3 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

Wow. Im going to be a little upset if the pedigree behind the game does in fact screw the pooch bad on this one.

Will watch with a concerned eye.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#4 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:49 AM

It looked bad so it doesn't surprise me, had such high hopes for this game and then e3 came, smh.

#5 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

Is Shadow the Hedgehog considered a terrible game? I had no idea, I always thought it was quite fun.

#6 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

Is Shadow the Hedgehog considered a terrible game?

Very much so.

#7 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:02 PM

Very much so.

It's just Sonic hero controls with shadow and guns.  It's not nearly as awful as so many people make it out to be.

#8 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

Is Shadow the Hedgehog considered a terrible game? I had no idea, I always thought it was quite fun.

its considered bad mostly because its not a mainstream sonic game. aka its not a sonic game. considering it stars shadow that in itself shouldn't be a issue.

I think the game is fine, i dont think its good, but i dont think its bad either.

#9 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:25 PM

It's just Sonic hero controls with shadow and guns.  It's not nearly as awful as so many people make it out to be.

Sonic Heroes is a steaming pile of wank fart. Shadow was even worse. Horrific character models. A horsing gun? Motorcycle? Camera is god damn everywhere. Level design is piss. The entire game is brown like the rainbow it is. Loose controls. Not that story should ever really be graded on in Sonic games except when they try and make Sonic er shadow Gritty with dumbass dialogue and piss poor VA. Top it off your little trail along character doesn't do jack but annoy you.

Edited by Ryudo, 22 June 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#10 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

Sonic Heroes is also pretty fun. I don't know what games you are playing Ryudo because I don't think Shadow or Sonic Heroes had any serious issues that stopped them from being fun.

#11 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:50 PM

Heroes levels went on way to long. Boss fights were wank. I got that game new when it came out. Shadow was more recent and man is it hog vomit wet fart.

Colors broke away from the series being this dumbass Dark crap. Also fixed a lot of level design problems. Tho the colors had minor issues. It brought platforming back tot he series instead of just pressing forward and grinding rails. Fun but dumb story. Visually bright and really pushed Wii. Some great music. Generations was more of the same. Good games fixed a lot of level design issues stupid pointless dark crap. Dumped stupid werhogs and guns. Lost World they really fixed the level design philosophy of Sonic 1-3. Colors and Gens still were speed focused but not as much as previous 3D games. Lost World brought back many alternate routes. Also designed the levels to put obstacles in your way for you to avoid to keep up your momentum and kept it up you are rewarded with speed. That's how proper Sonic games should play. Some areas were a bit dumb but overall they got it right what made Sonic game a Sonic game in the first place on Genesis. If Mario was stripped of platforming had to push forward and shoot guns and change into hogs and boring bland level design it would suck. 

It's perspective. Sonic Lost World is Sonic on Genesis switched to a behind the back 3d View pretty much how Metroid Prime is Super Metroid in first person. Sonic Team and Yuji Naka lost focus on what made Sonic successful in game design and appeal. I don't care if it was Shadow or Sonic. I don't hate Shadow the character at all. Shadow was just Sonic team trying to get into the trend of Gritty and that was not even it's worst flaw it was everything mechanically,Visually and more.

Sonic Boom on the fence about because just giving it benefit of the doubt of being a spinoff while Sonic Team makes the main series. Shadow may have tried to be a spinoff but it went in all the wrong ways and was from Sonic Team. Heroes had a neat idea but it was more a chore than anything else.

#12 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:00 PM

The 3DS game is supposed to be better, but frankly Sega should be looking more at endless runner games then mario games.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#13 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:31 PM

to bad i can't trust anything reviews say about sonic, or sonic fans for that matter. Sonic fans are the worst, they only like sonic 1-3& knuckles. They didn't like colors

generations or lost world, all of of which i think are really great games.

#14 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

Here's something to think about. Why not more Sonic Rush, sequel to Rush, or Colors DS? I'm no Sonic fan, but aren't those games "real" modern Sonic?

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#15 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:41 PM

Here's something to think about. Why not more Sonic Rush, sequel to Rush, or Colors DS? I'm no Sonic fan, but aren't those games "real" modern Sonic?

Didn't play Color on DS and Rush was fun and it sorta tried on level design but not as much as it could have. I didn't make the graph and think almost 10 years ago someone went into a break down of every sonic game up to that point, Might have been just before Sonic 06 but still holds up to Sonic most games pre Colors on Wii.

duK1q63.png

#16 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:20 PM

The only Sonic games I've ever enjoyed are all the 2D ones on the Sega Genesis, Sonic Advance and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for the GameCube. I unfortunately stopped caring about the blue hedgehog a long time ago... 

#17 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:36 PM

While we're on the topic of Sonic Heroes in this thread, I found that game very boring. I couldn't bother to finish it.

to bad i can't trust anything reviews say about sonic, or sonic fans for that matter. Sonic fans are the worst, they only like sonic 1-3& knuckles. They didn't like colors

generations or lost world, all of of which i think are really great games.

That's the Retro Sonic fanboys you're talking about. There are hardcore Sonic fanboys that defend (keyword: defend) every game, even Sonic ****ing 06 and claim there's nothing wrong with the games. Remember the Sonic fanbase is very divided.

Edited by magiciandude, 23 June 2014 - 10:37 PM.

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#18 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:59 PM

Looking at the gameplay, it does look pretty meh. I'll still keep an eye on it. Either way I'm pretty sure the 3DS version will end up being the better game. Really liking the Metroidvania style for the levels.

#19 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

While we're on the topic of Sonic Heroes in this thread, I found that game very boring. I couldn't bother to finish it.

That's the Retro Sonic fanboys you're talking about. There are hardcore Sonic fanboys that defend (keyword: defend) every game, even Sonic ****ing 06 and claim there's nothing wrong with the games. Remember the Sonic fanbase is very divided.

i guess i might be in that bunch, but i refuse to defend sonic 06 and black knight, such a disappointment.

#20 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:47 AM

Heroes was just the first I disliked and hated every entry following until Colors on Wii. Generations was great but the boss battles not as good as colors and Lost World is just awesome. I really hope Sonic Teams next Sonic is on WiiU and uses Lost Worlds idea of level design and controls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!